• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
The new recommend feature is awesome! I recommended Toki Tori and that felt pretty great! I can see myself using this feature a lot.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Gexecuter said:
The new recommend feature is awesome! I recommended Toki Tori and that felt pretty great! I can see myself using this feature a lot.
Indeed it is. I recommended Shatter, but then, you should already own the game, heathens!

lordmrw

Tim-E said:
I'm still waiting on Final Fantasy VII, which was posted to the registry, LovingSteam!

Holy shit I still have my copy of that for PC that I bought back in like 2000 or so. I got to whip those badboys out and give the game a run through at some point.

Shaneus

LovingSteam said:
Some folks have access to the client registry tool which is what Valve uses to add new games to their system ;)
Appreciate the info! Always wondered.

I'm more sure than not that after that info, HP is coming to Steam. EA just milking other distribution sources before making it known. Shrewd, but can see where they're coming from. Kotick spreading his influence beyond Activision? :lol

AcridMeat

Banned
xwfh2.jpg

ZZMitch

Bought Flight Control HD, had it on my old ipod touch and this version is much better. A good buy, but needs more achievements. A game like this really adds longevity through things like that.

Dennis

Banned
I see that Sniper: Ghost Warrior is second on the Top Seller list after Black Ops :lol

I also remember it charting very well in the PAL charts when it came out.

Surprise hit?

Volcynika

DennisK4 said:
I see that Sniper: Ghost Warrior is second on the Top Seller list after Black Ops :lol

I also remember it charting very well in the PAL charts when it came out.

Surprise hit?

Well, it's a weekend deal for 50% off, apparently a good bit of people bit on it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Does anyone have a decent guide for installing Steam games on a different HDD than Steam is installed to?

Shaneus

Ikuu said:
Does anyone have a decent guide for installing Steam games on a different HDD than Steam is installed to?
Or moving them? I've just set up a RAID and am thinking of moving them all over... that would have to improve game performance from running on a single 5400 HDD :lol

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'd suggest just installing Steam onto the hard drive or partition you want. It'll be a lot easier and all game data will always download to that partition.

As for doing a move, again, I'd suggest installing Steam onto that specific drive then copying over your existing steamapps folder. You'll just have to reverify the files, which will only take a few seconds.

Himajin

Ikuu said:

If you have Vista or Windows 7 you can use symbolic links to move installations to any drive you want. Here is how it works:

1.) Cut and paste the installation folder from the "steamapps" folder where Steam is installed to another drive.

2.) Open the command line interface with administrator privileges (type "cmd" in the search box, right-click "cmd.exe" and choose "Run as administrator".

3.) Type in the following, with the directory names adjusted, and then press ENTER:

mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mirrors edge" "S:\Games\mirrors edge"

This will create a kind of shortcut in the original folder that links to the new location.

Shaneus

Yeah, a quick bit of googling sorted me out. Glad that Steam is so flexible with moving shit, too... much better than if it was installed directly into Windows.

Shaneus said:
Yeah, a quick bit of googling sorted me out. Glad that Steam is so flexible with moving shit, too... much better than if it was installed directly into Windows.

Well, symbolic links are something of a solution to anything that doesn't like you putting things where you want rather than where it wants.

Tbh, Steam isn't THAT flexible about it when you have to bust open a command prompt to resolve things.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Cheers, I'll give that a try later.
morningbus said:
I'd suggest just installing Steam onto the hard drive or partition you want. It'll be a lot easier and all game data will always download to that partition.
Well I'm getting an SSD and it's only 60GB so I want to stick a few games on it, and my Steam folder is close to 500GB.

Atilac

Joe Molotov said:
I think Atilac got a better version of the game than the rest of us.
I was mistaken, it's "Grey DeLisle" :(
On the upside she voices "mandy" on the "The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy", which is actually kind of weird.... I've heard Mandy get pretend pounded in a video game

epmode

Shaneus said:
Sarcasm?

As much as I love Steam, this is something Impulse handles 36780423680 times better. You can manually set the install folder of any game you download from the service.

vazel

Banned
Yea and it's not like mklink is a Steam specific command. It's an OS level command you can do with any files. Steam has always annoyed me with not letting you choose install directories for each game.

Shaneus

epmode said:
Sarcasm?

As much as I love Steam, this is something Impulse handles 36780423680 times better. You can manually set the install folder of any game you download from the service.
Nope... if you want to move something you've installed with Impulse, you'd have to reinstall it I'm guessing. At least with Steam you can do it after the fact, should you choose to upgrade your storage.

epmode

Atilac said:
I was mistaken, it's "Grey DeLisle" :(
On the upside she voices "mandy" on the "The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy", which is actually kind of weird.... I've heard Mandy get pretend pounded in a video game
She also voices Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender. And since you didn't instantly recognize this, I'm going to assume you've never seen it. And that would be a mistake.
Shaneus said:
Nope... if you want to move something you've installed with Impulse, you'd have to reinstall it I'm guessing. At least with Steam you can do it after the fact, should you choose to upgrade your storage.
I don't see why you can't do the same thing with Impulse that you can with Steam, provided you've been installing the the same folder each time. ..but I never looked into it since aliases/symbolic links/whatever always seem like a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

It may not be the same thing but I once tried moving a MyDocuments folder to a different drive. It didn't go well at all.

legend166 said:
So Thanksgiving is this week right? When should we expect the sale to pop up (if there is one)?
when your wallet least expects it, in its final paces of black friday, steam will launch their holiday sale and your wallet... your body... will not be prepared

legend166

Mr. Spinnington said:
when your wallet least expects it, in its final paces of black friday, steam will launch their holiday sale and your wallet... your body... will not be prepared

Well, we don't have Black Friday here so I'm just cashed up ready to go crazy.

Shaneus

Mr. Spinnington said:
Pretty much. For me, it's usually a week before my monthly pay comes through (when I'm living on dim sims, noodles and cereal :lol ).

AcridMeat

Banned
I sure hope we get a week of sales starting tomorrow. I loved waking up to the new daily deals over summer, even if I wasn't buying anything.

Mr. Spinnington said:

Firstly, LOVE LOVE LOVE the new avatar. AWESOME!

Secondly, yup :( Although I only have about 18 games on m wishlist and a few of them have yet to be released. I'm guessing about 10 of them will be on sale in the next month and half and out of those, I may buy 5. Although I realize that there will be a lot of games that are not on my wishlist that are on sale at such a price I will not be able to resist them :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom