• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Stallion Free said:
Listing sale wishes is almost as boring and pointless and as linking to your Steam collection value.

Because this thread is a bastion of information when there aren't new sales up right?

Shit, I just wasted another post.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Drkirby said:
I have $800 ready for This week. $1200 if my Deposit from Amazon gets posted by Friday.

I think my limit is going to have to be $50 this year. I'm going to have to drop $1900 on wisdom teeth removal in a week. ; ;

Stallion Free said:
Listing sale wishes is almost as boring and pointless and as linking to your Steam collection value.

Wanna see my Steam recommendations?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Okay, here is my list!

Call of Duty Black Ops [$1.00]
Dead Rising 2 [$1.00]
Darksiders [$1.00]
AlternativA [$1.00]
The Ship [$1.00]
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines [-$20.00. They owe me because it hasn't gone on sale since forever!]

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
eznark said:
Is there generally a sale during this week? Should I be expecting one? My steam wallet has $50 in it for some reason

Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale. IIRC, last years sale went from the Wednesday before Thanksgiving through the following Monday.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amnesia, Lara Croft, and Vampire are the three big ones that I've been telling myself "as soon as they go on sale" for months. I'll probably also buy a shit ton of dirt cheap stuff that "looks interesting" :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm sorry, but if Lara Croft needs a sale for you to pick it up, there is something incredibly wrong with you. It's easily 10 hours of content in singleplayer if you 100% it (which is actually fun as hell) and you could easily add another five to that with co-op (currently playing through it in this mode now and it feels fresh because puzzles get changed around as do the cutscenes).

Oh it also looks gorgeous, runs fantastically, feels incredible on a 360 pad, and is perfectly balanced difficulty wise (my GF who never plays games doesn't feel frustrated, while I don't feel unchallenged).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Stallion Free said:
I'm sorry, but if Lara Croft needs a sale for you to pick it up, there is something incredibly wrong with you. It's easily 10 hours of content in singleplayer if you 100% it (which is actually fun as hell) and you could easily add another five to that with co-op (currently playing through it in this mode now and it feels fresh because puzzles get changed around as do the cutscenes).
My rationale goes like this: I have plenty of fun games right now to fill my meager free time. They will occupy me for a while, help kill time. Lara Croft will still be as fantastically fun three months from now (said to myself three months ago obviously).

I've heard that LC is ridiculously fun and some people's GOTY contender, and I'm willing to believe it. But when I actually play it doesn't really change how much I'll enjoy it.

RickA238

Stallion Free said:

lol cool story bro. Last I checked, this was a message board so deal with it.

Here's mine:

Bad Company 2 <$10
Resident Evil 5 <$5
Counter-Strike: Source <$5
CS $2
UT2004 <$3
Black Ops <$10 (after applying my imaginary discount for people who bought the
shitty
360 version
HL2 $1
HL2 Ep1 $1
HL2 Ep2 $1
Portal $2
Lara Croft: GOTL <$5
Dirt 2 <$5

And I'm more than willing to buy many other cheap ones that I may/may not ever play.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Currently, I really only want Vietnam, and since that requires BFBC2, well, that's what I want on the cheap.
I played a good chunk of BFBC2's campaign at my brother's, and that wasn't too hot in my opinion; Vietnam multi should end up glorious though.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't say yes to a decent deal for some game I sorta am interested in, of course.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Fuckin' buy Bloodlines already. This holding-out-for-a-deal is ridiculous.

Okay, let's make a pact: If it DOESN'T go on sale this Xmas, you guys buy it in January.

Otherwise, this is getting out of hand and you're never gonna experience this awesome game just because of $10 or whatevs. That's just not right.

Volcynika said:
I'll be amused if Vampire does not go on sale again :lol

Got it at a 50% off Steam sale in 2008, represent!
smafyh.jpg

RickA238 said:
lol cool story bro. Last I checked, this was a message board so deal with it.
That response makes no sense in regards to the argument.

It's "Announcements & Updates" and you guys keep posting lists for Santa Gabe and getting the rest of our hopes up for some awesome sales when we notice the thread is getting popular. I'm not going to say "stop posting" and try to act like a civilian mod or anything, but it's disappointing coming in here with 50 new posts of nothing instead of a 75% off deal.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Only thing I even remotely want is Death Spank. And maybe Dragon Age: UE. And maybe double dip on any GOTY packs, it depends. But that's it!

kamspy

wmat said:
Fuckin' buy Bloodlines already. This holding-out-for-a-deal is ridiculous.

It's all about sticking to your guns man.

For example, Age of Empires III was on sale for a dime, but I told myself I'd never pay more than a nickel. Wished they had a four pack so I could have shaved it down to around 7.5 cents each, but alas, no go.

unrelated EDIT:

Oh, and Amazon has some amazing digital download sales going on right now.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
That response makes no sense in regards to the argument.

It's "Announcements & Updates" and you guys keep posting lists for Santa Gabe and getting the rest of our hopes up for some awesome sales when we notice the thread is getting popular. I'm not going to say "stop posting" and try to act like a civilian mod or anything, but it's disappointing coming in here with 50 new posts of nothing instead of a 75% off deal.

Then change your fucking link from this thread to store.steampowered.com

Jesus Christ!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ipukespiders said:
Then change your fucking link from this thread to store.steampowered.com

Jesus Christ!
Or, just drop these RSS feeds in your RSS feed reader:

Link1
Link2

You'll be able to get the vast majority of relevant Steam gaming info as fast as it is announced.

I have a question that is partly steam related and I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I was buying some digital music on amazon and I stumbled on to some extra money I've never used on software/video game downloads. I've never used the codes to buy digital games on amazon before and I was wondering if the games from amazon would have some weird DRM and whether or not I can link them to my steam account after I buy them.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

rogue74

Here hoping to see The Witcher: Director's Cut for < $10. If not I'll buy it at whatever price they want in January. :D

kamspy said:
I just did a head count.

23 games from lasts years Black Friday and X-Mas sale that I haven't even installed.

/what

I wasn't exactly swimming in disposable income at the time either.

/fuckme

WTF? As I've said, I am new to Steam. What kind of crazy shit goes on during the next couple of weeks? I'm excited.

If Dragon Age UE goes on sale is there a good chance that the separate DLC included in the UE will also be on sale?

rogue74 said:
WTF? As I've said, I am new to Steam. What kind of crazy shit goes on during the next couple of weeks? I'm excited.

You have no idea.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
You can link any sort of application to Steam. The full Steam featureset is only available for games that were installed via Steam though, be it through a key or through a purchase.

When you link a game to Steam, almost always, you get the Steam overlay, even if it's not a Steam game. Like, I have SWAT4 linked to Steam, and get the overlay.

rogue74

speculawyer said:
Vampire is the Moby Dick for Steam GAF.

What the hell is the deal with this game? I see it brought up on GAF often. Checking its Wikipedia page, the review scores indicate a good but not spectacular game. Does it have a cult following? Are the reviews shit?

I remember playing the first game, The Masquerade. It was OK. Nice graphics for its time. Didn't finish it.

Zachack

rogue74 said:
General madness, but the best parts are when a game goes on sale for a ridiculously great price, people buy it, and then it goes on sale again for an even more ridiculous price and people start acting like babies because Steam won't price match.

Also, a lot of people probably have giant backlogs because they bought a few of the package deals. The THQ package is typically a popular one if you don't have most of the games. I have more than a few games I'll likely never play thanks to the Eidos pack.

rogue74

Zachack said:
General madness, but the best parts are when a game goes on sale for a ridiculously great price, people buy it, and then it goes on sale again for an even more ridiculous price and people start acting like babies because Steam won't price match.

Also, a lot of people probably have giant backlogs because they bought a few of the package deals. The THQ package is typically a popular one if you don't have most of the games. I have more than a few games I'll likely never play thanks to the Eidos pack.

Hold on. They will further reduce the price on a game that was on sale during the same holiday period? What madness is this? It's almost like finding the right time to buy a game on Steam is a game in itself. I am not prepared.

Zachack

rogue74 said:
What the hell is the deal with this game? I see it brought up on GAF often. Checking its Wikipedia page, the review scores indicate a good but not spectacular game. Does it have a cult following? Are the reviews shit?

I remember playing the first game, The Masquerade. It was OK. Nice graphics for its time. Didn't finish it.
It's a fantastic RPG that, like everything else Obsidian has ever touched, was horribly buggy and went unpatched. Also, like most things Obsidian has touched, crazy fans went ahead and patched the game, so now it's a classic.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zachack said:
It's a fantastic RPG that, like everything else Obsidian has ever touched, was horribly buggy and went unpatched. Also, like most things Obsidian has touched, crazy fans went ahead and patched the game, so now it's a classic.

Troika made Bloodlines, not Obsidian.

rogue74

Zachack said:

Obsidian? So sort of like KOTOR 2? I've heard the story of that game but never played it. Well, the game looks interesting to me. I might bite if I see it on sale.

I am going to have a backlog nightmare. Picked up Risen the other day just because. Haven't tried it yet. Ditto for Titan Quest and Tales of Monkey Island pack. Having a blast with Company of Heroes, which I also bought on impulse when it went on sale a few weeks ago.

I'm so glad I got back into PC gaming after a 4 year hiatus.

Shaneus

Anyone know anything about the EA download service? Just noticed Crysis and Warhead are on special for $11.24 each. If they have PayPal I might jump in anyway.

Zachack

rogue74 said:
Hold on. They will further reduce the price on a game that was on sale during the same holiday period? What madness is this? It's almost like finding the right time to buy a game on Steam is a game in itself. I am not prepared.
Yes. I can think of a few examples (details may be slightly off):

During last year's Xmas sale Torchlight was normally $13 (33% off). Then it got daily dealed to $10. Then it went back to $13. Then later it dropped to $5. Then $13. Then $5 again on the last day (I think this was the pattern).

The GTA sale earlier this year had various games being randomly put on sale for very brief times (couple hours) and in random package deals, so if you wanted a couple of the games you had to wait for the right sale and hope it was better than a previous sale which may have included the games you wanted (and more) for the same price.

Various items in the packages will go on sale. Rule of thumb is to not buy any packages until the last day.

Alternatively you can behave like a rational adult and simply buy games when they reach a price you feel willing to pay and not get into a tizzy over thinking you might save an extra couple bucks if you wait it out. But where's the fun in that!

Troika actually, but IIRC there is/was a fair amount of staff from Troika at Obsidian.

EDIT: wikipedia lists a few, including Brian Mitsoda

After the shutdown ex-Troika staff has been picked up by the following companies:

Company founder

* Tim Cain – Joined Carbine Studios in 2005 as programming director. Was promoted to design director in late 2008.[9]
* Leonard Boyarsky – Took a year off due to burnout syndrome, then joined Blizzard Entertainment to work on Diablo 3.
* Jason D. Anderson – Left the gaming industry to sell real estate. In September 2008 he joined Interplay Entertainment to work on an unannounced MMORPG.[10] In March 2009 he quit Interplay and joined inXile Entertainment as creative director in a new RPG project.[11]

Team leader

On Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines:

* Brian Mitsoda – Lead writer (also character designer).[12] Joined Obsidian Entertainment, worked on Alpha Protocol. Left Obsidian to open his own development studio DoubleBear Productions in June 2009.[13]
* Chad Moore – Lead character modeler. Joined Sony Computer Entertainment motion capture department, work includes Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed, God of War and Killzone.[14]
* Andrew Meggs – Lead programmer. Joined Mythic Entertainment to work on Warhammer Online.
* Brock Heinz – Lead scripter. Joined Obsidian Entertainment as programmer on Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer.[15] Left Obsidian in early 2009, is now working at Turtle Rock Studios.

On The Temple of Elemental Evil:

* Michael McCarthy – Lead artist. Worked for Double Fine Productions on Brütal Legend and for Radical Entertainment on Prototype.[16]

Others

* Dennis Taylor (programmer), T. J. Perillo (designer). Joined 7 Studios to work on the PS2 game The Sopranos: Road to Respect.
* Jesse Reynolds (programmer). Joined Obsidian Entertainment worked on Neverwinter Nights 2.
* Christopher Glenn (artist). Joined SuperVillain Studios

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troika_Games

JADS

Shaneus said:
Anyone know anything about the EA download service? Just noticed Crysis and Warhead are on special for $11.24 each. If they have PayPal I might jump in anyway.

Creditcard, ClickandBuy and PayPal are supported.

gotee12

rogue74 said:
Here hoping to see The Witcher: Director's Cut for < $10. If not I'll buy it at whatever price they want in January. :D

You just missed it. Amazon had the director's cut enhanced edition for $6 a couple of days ago when all the TW2 presale stuff hit.

Shaneus said:

IIRC, EAs DD service lets you download your purchase once, and it's all on you to make sure you backup that installer yourself, or you have to rebuy the title again.

ie utter shit.

Unless they've changed it.

rogue74

gotee12 said:
You just missed it. Amazon had the director's cut for $6 a couple of days ago when all the TW2 presale stuff hit.

I read the post here on GAF that alerted me to that. But I'm pretty sure it was only the Enhanced Edition, not the Director's Cut. That is why I didn't buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom