• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

rogue74 said:
I read the post here on GAF that alerted me to that. But I'm pretty sure it was only the Enhanced Edition, not the Director's Cut. That is why I didn't buy.

Isn't it the same thing? The EE version got patched with the DC content.

gotee12

rogue74 said:
I read the post here on GAF that alerted me to that. But I'm pretty sure it was only the Enhanced Edition, not the Director's Cut. That is why I didn't buy.
I stand corrected. Those are different SKU's...

(don't know what makes them different though...)

Salaadin

rogue74 said:

Im pretty sure that The Witcher is only one version now. Every version can be patched to be the Directors Cut and the Enhanced Edition.

Joe Molotov

rogue74 said:
What the hell is the deal with this game? I see it brought up on GAF often. Checking its Wikipedia page, the review scores indicate a good but not spectacular game. Does it have a cult following? Are the reviews shit?

I remember playing the first game, The Masquerade. It was OK. Nice graphics for its time. Didn't finish it.

Cult classic. It's basically the buggy, red-headed stepbrother to Deus Ex.

BTW, I bought when it first came out, and beat it when it still version 1.0, so suck it Steam Sale Beggers. :p

kamspy

SolarPowered said:
I have a question that is partly steam related and I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I was buying some digital music on amazon and I stumbled on to some extra money I've never used on software/video game downloads. I've never used the codes to buy digital games on amazon before and I was wondering if the games from amazon would have some weird DRM and whether or not I can link them to my steam account after I buy them.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I did all the research I could on the site and it seems like the same DRM that would be included if you bought it from a publishers store (EA Store, Ubi Store etc. ).

I'll have no qualms buying from them once they have anything up there I don't own. SC: Convicton at $15 is a great deal. If the DRM ever shits the bed you can always crack it too.

Joe Molotov

Is this "Will Release in 5 Hours" business accurate for Poker Night? Fucking Gabe, man, just hit that unlock button for me now, plz.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
rogue74 said:
What the hell is the deal with this game? I see it brought up on GAF often. Checking its Wikipedia page, the review scores indicate a good but not spectacular game. Does it have a cult following? Are the reviews shit?

I remember playing the first game, The Masquerade. It was OK. Nice graphics for its time. Didn't finish it.
So the scores are related to the numerous bugs the game had when it was released.

What Vampire does good is it really subscribes to its story, and heavily embeds your character into it. That, and the different races are actually completely different; check this out to see how hilarious Malkies are, for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThyD2ikS9SY

Cheech

Shaneus said:
Anyone know anything about the EA download service? Just noticed Crysis and Warhead are on special for $11.24 each. If they have PayPal I might jump in anyway.

Others have mentioned the "download" limitation, but it also doesn't auto-patch. They had some ancient version of Mass Effect 1 up there that wouldn't even boot on my PC. I had to manually patch it to 1.2 for it to work.

It's absolutely worthless. You're better off paying a bit more for those games elsewhere.

rogue74

Salaadin said:
Im pretty sure that The Witcher is only one version now. Every version can be patched to be the Directors Cut and the Enhanced Edition.

Damn it. I was under the impression that they were separate and that the difference was that the Director's Cut removed the censorship on top of having all the improvements of the Enhanced Edition.

Oh well.

Peff

Joe Molotov said:
Is this "Will Release in 5 Hours" business accurate for Poker Night? Fucking Gabe, man, just hit that unlock button for me now, plz.

Telltale's games always unlock after the game has been released for customers on TTG's site, which it hasn't yet. With their game series the episodes usually unlock around 5-7 GMT but the last standalone game (Puzzle Agent) unlocked really late at night. To sum up, yes, it'll probably end up being accurate, but it could really show any time. At the very least it should be released before the sales start, because that caused Puzzle Agent to be delayed on Steam several days.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
MrNyarlathotep said:
IIRC, EAs DD service lets you download your purchase once, and it's all on you to make sure you backup that installer yourself, or you have to rebuy the title again.

ie utter shit.

Unless they've changed it.
I have redownladed and reinstalled Bad Company 2 from EA's service multiple times with no problems. Not sure what, if any, the limits are.

Cheech

poppabk said:
I have redownladed and reinstalled Bad Company 2 from EA's service multiple times with no problems. Not sure what, if any, the limits are.

You can only do that for 1 year after you buy the game.

rogue74 said:
Damn it. I was under the impression that they were separate and that the difference was that the Director's Cut removed the censorship on top of having all the improvements of the Enhanced Edition.

Oh well.

Director's cut is just a patch.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Cheech said:
Actually you don't just have 1 year to download your games, several people have said they downloaded years (plural, more than 1) later after they bought a game. The ToS doesn't even mention the 1 year limit iirc, just that EA can choose to, at any time, disable your downloads.

They have a download manager now where you can register any EA game's key and re-download as much as you want (Some games include bonus content, like soundtrack for Mirrror's Edge)

poppabk

Cheech said:
I think that it is at least one year - but I guess I should download the installer again and back it up just in case.
Its not the best service but compared to Ubisofts store for example - 1 download and the option to pay an extra $5 to be able to re-download for 1 year - it is pretty good.

Nabs

poppabk said:
I think that it is at least one year - but I guess I should download the installer again and back it up just in case.
Its not the best service but compared to Ubisofts store for example - 1 download and the option to pay an extra $5 to be able to re-download for 1 year - it is pretty good.

hold on one sec. gonna log into my ubi acct real quick.

ok it wont let me log in. let me search for my order number and try to redownload AC1.

Sorry,

It is too late to download this file. You were allowed to download within 30 days.
:lol hold up, this can't be real.

EA's used to be 90 days, with an option to buy an addition year (or three?) of time for a small fee. They obviously took a lot of flak over this. When returning to their site recently I struggled to find any terms and conditions regarding this- so it's either well hidden (it wasn't before) or they saw sense and matched Steam's download policy.

Very interested in a demo of Test Drive, could use a racing game to fill the Gran Turismo 5 hole in my life.

Shaneus

Visualante said:
EA's used to be 90 days, with an option to buy an addition year (or three?) of time for a small fee. They obviously took a lot of flak over this. When returning to their site recently I struggled to find any terms and conditions regarding this- so it's either well hidden (it wasn't before) or they saw sense and matched Steam's download policy.

Very interested in a demo of Test Drive, could use a racing game to fill the Gran Turismo 5 hole in my life.
I'd offer you an opinion of the TDU2 beta but being in Australia the demo times are almost always about 10pm-7am Saturday night/Sunday mornings :lol

I thought that was pushed back to next year, though? It's almost suicide releasing in the same month as GT5 and NFSHP.

Edit: Yeah, I saw it said Nov. on Steam, that's why I'm a little confused.

Zachack said:
During last year's Xmas sale Torchlight was normally $13 (33% off). Then it got daily dealed to $10. Then it went back to $13. Then later it dropped to $5. Then $13. Then $5 again on the last day (I think this was the pattern).

It was $10 for the duration of the sale, and went down to $5 on a sale day and the last day. It wasn't $13 at any time during that sale.

I am unaware of any situation in which the heuristic "buy as soon as possible when the price is 66% off or below, otherwise wait for the last day to see if there's a better discount" would fail to get you the best deal during a Steam holiday sale. Mmmmmaybe there was a time something was briefly erroneously discounted 50% when it should've been 30%? But almost always this will work.

poppabk

charlequin said:
It was $10 for the duration of the sale, and went down to $5 on a sale day and the last day. It wasn't $13 at any time during that sale.

I am unaware of any situation in which the heuristic "buy as soon as possible when the price is 66% off or below, otherwise wait for the last day to see if there's a better discount" would fail to get you the best deal during a Steam holiday sale. Mmmmmaybe there was a time something was briefly erroneously discounted 50% when it should've been 30%? But almost always this will work.
The Witcher and the DLC for Defense Grid last year.

IrishNinja

ah, good looking out Evilore, thanks man! you'll forgive me if i hold out a few days just to see what steam does with it, heh...that D2D Fallout NV price isn't going away anytime soon, is it?

Zizbuka said:
You should get Vampire: Bloodlines from GOG. It's cheaper and complete DRM free...... you know for the future and all.

..."for the future"? what does that even mean?
i remember a thread here on GAF where a bunch of you seriously talked about the possibility of some of our XBLA/PSN purchases not carrying over to next gen (assuming there is one for all involved, natch), and how PC is forever BC etc so between that and recently having to move again, i said fuck physical copies if i can access them digitally/completely. now you're telling me steam is gonna up & quit on their massively successful business model in 2012?! damn you, Zizbuka PC GAF!! :lol

Zachack said:
Various items in the packages will go on sale. Rule of thumb is to not buy any packages until the last day.

ah, good to know. yeah, i expect to see Orange Box at a figure that warrants double-dipping, not sure what other packs id be after. out of curiosity, what's the lowest you guys have seen the Valve complete pack for? im sure Capcom's had some good ones, that lucasarts one doesnt look bad either.
also: when individual games go on sale, is it safe to assume if you miss them that day they'll be there on the final stretch of the sale, or not necessarily?

those of you holding out for Amnesia: where were you at the halloween sale?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
charlequin said:

Witcher for $6.79 was kind of a one time thing.

Zachack

charlequin said:
I may have it mixed up with something else, but I could have sworn some title moved around in sale price more than once and triggered nerd rage. Besides the insane GTA sale.

This happened with The Witcher and... 1C Games? I'm pretty sure one of the publisher package deals went up in price. Or something weird.

I think an easier solution is to simply buy things if they are a daily deal, otherwise wait for the last day. Gambling on a better discount than a daily deal is likely to result in disappointment.

Twig

Banned
1C Games pack was twenty dollars.

Then it went up to like sixty or something.

It was a mistake, and they fixed it, and I ended up not buying it as a result. ):

wmat said:
You can link any sort of application to Steam. The full Steam featureset is only available for games that were installed via Steam though, be it through a key or through a purchase.

When you link a game to Steam, almost always, you get the Steam overlay, even if it's not a Steam game. Like, I have SWAT4 linked to Steam, and get the overlay.
kamspy said:
I did all the research I could on the site and it seems like the same DRM that would be included if you bought it from a publishers store (EA Store, Ubi Store etc. ).

I'll have no qualms buying from them once they have anything up there I don't own. SC: Convicton at $15 is a great deal. If the DRM ever shits the bed you can always crack it too.
Thank you.

I just wanted to know because I have the spare cash sitting there and it's practically a free purchase since I don't have that money in the budget. The penumbra collection is $5 at the moment on amazon and it's a steal at that price. I may even find a second game since I have a total of $10 dollars sitting there.:D

graywolf323

charlequin said:

that's pretty much it, also there was a price glitch very briefly on Fallout 3 GOTY last year

kamspy

SolarPowered said:
Thank you.

I just wanted to know because I have the spare cash sitting there and it's practically a free purchase since I don't have that money in the budget. The penumbra collection is $5 at the moment on amazon and it's a steal at that price. I may even find a second game since I have a total of $10 dollars sitting there.:D

Yeah Penumbra should be fine with DRM. Enjoy one of the most unsettling interactive experiences you'll ever have. Great choice.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Well, I just redownloaded the EA manager, and (along with really liking how they redesigned the client) my games I linked with Cd keys a long time ago still redownloaded easy as pie. Hopefully there never was a limit, and they've adopted a Steam-like policy for keeping track of your games.

IceMarker

I love the style of PNaTI, but damn does it get frustrating sometimes. I think I'm just gonna All-in all the time just to get lucky on the unlocks, you have to have massive patience to do otherwise. When I have all the unlocks, I think I can enjoy this more as a Poker game, not to say that I'm not enjoying it. :D

Joe Molotov

Xamdou said:
So how will the sale be played out, all the items on sale just on Black Friday or throughout the whole weekend?

zelda_secret_to_everybody.jpg

Joe Molotov

Meh, Poker Night gets boring really fast. Some of the dialogue is funny, but beyond that, it's just a single-player poker game with few frills. I unlocked a couple of tables and decks, but ehh. I just want them to lay down their items, and then I go all-in on the first decent hand.

Emergency 2012 is out. Seems ok, but US$ 40 is a little too much, I may get it on sale.

And TDU2 is on the new releases too. I guess is the pre-order, but there is no indication of that (mistake).

*UPDATE*

Some stuff added to the Registry:

Left 4 Dead 2 10 pack, Deus Ex GOTY 8 pack, Borderlands 8 pack, Half Life 1 10 pack, Penny Arcade complete, League of Legends complete, RUSE 6 pack, Defense Grid 10 pack, Puzzle Quest 2 10 pack.

These are some of the specials we should be expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom