• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ah, Ok.

Well, it could mean SE is preparing to put its back catalog on Steam, I wonder if they could of even easily republish that version till recently, since I think Eidos did the Publishing World Wide, and may of even been the ones to do the porting.

ArjanN

Stallion Free said:
I only want it if it has Steam Cloud for my saves and Achievements/Leaderboards for my e-peen. Otherwise, who gives a shit.

It'd be almost like a FFVII remake, exclusive to Steam. :p

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I would want it if Valve started to fix older games like GOG. I know there are (fan) patches, but it's nice when you don't have to do that and your purchase runs well on your new PC.

Fredescu

If you buy a Steamworks Steamplay game at retail, will it work for both PC and Mac as if it was bought from Steam? I know it sounds likely, but does anyone have direct experience with it? Wanting to know about Civ V specifically.

Moobabe

Blablurn said:
but but i want good games :(

2j0cpjmuiuw.gif

Fredescu said:
If you buy a Steamworks Steamplay game at retail, will it work for both PC and Mac as if it was bought from Steam? I know it sounds likely, but does anyone have direct experience with it? Wanting to know about Civ V specifically.

Yes, buying Steamworks games (digital or retail) will give you licenses both for PC and Mac version, however, obviously your installer will still be only compatible to one platform, unless the retail copy provides installers for both PC and Mac.

So no need to worry if you bought the wrong version, since you can always download the right one from Steam.

Probably the wrong thread for this but, ive noticed EA have updated their download manager somewhat, it now looks like this -

1xn93.jpg

Pretty slick, makes me think that maybe EA are finally trying to push this again what with the new NFS not coming to Steam. Also seems a better store than GFWL's ......

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The EA Store is only really worth using as they let you stack discounts, ordered Crysis for like £15 the other week, or something like that, also ordered MoH and then got a refund and I was still able to download it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ikuu said:
The EA Store is only really worth using as they let you stack discounts, ordered Crysis for like £15 the other week, or something like that, also ordered MoH and then got a refund and I was still able to download it.
It's good for linking CD keys to, I haven't had to touch my discs since. I think they allow unlimited DL.

Drkirby said:
Ah, Ok.

Well, it could mean SE is preparing to put its back catalog on Steam, I wonder if they could of even easily republish that version till recently, since I think Eidos did the Publishing World Wide, and may of even been the ones to do the porting.
Well, Eidos definitely at least published Final Fantasy 7, but I think 8 might have been handled by that SquareEA partnership they had at the time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, my bro showed me that updated interface for EA store the other day (I got him BC2 on their for 20$ really close to release) and I do like the changes. Looks vastly superior to GFWL which makes your library a bunch of links to redownload.

stuminus3

hateradio said:
I would want it if Valve started to fix older games like GOG. I know there are (fan) patches, but it's nice when you don't have to do that and your purchase runs well on your new PC.
Agreed, one reason I've started buying older stuff from GOG even if it's on Steam (my "main" source of DD). I actually have the GOG exclusive Arx Fatalis patch installed on my Steam version of the game. :lol

I don't hold it against Valve that there they allow games on the service that don't do too good on modern systems, I just wish they'd be a little more honest about it. Though to be fair, the only game in my entire library of >220 Steam games that doesn't work is KotOR, and that's a strange one because it seems to work for other people with similar setups.

I need to stop talking about GOG in this thead!

Mr_Zombie

It would be great if Steam supported custom graphics/icons/backgrounds for non-Steam games. This is the only reason I haven't added any non-Steam game to the client - it looks ugly then :(

Salaadin

Mr_Zombie said:
It would be great if Steam supported custom graphics/icons/backgrounds for non-Steam games. This is the only reason I haven't added any non-Steam game to the client - it looks ugly then :(

It still brings over the game icons. At least it did when I brought over Age of Empires from GFW and Another World from GOG.
I mostly use Small Mode though so I dont know what it looks like in Large Mode. If thats what youre referring to, ignore me.

Mr_Zombie

Salaadin said:
I mostly use Small Mode though so I dont know what it looks like in Large Mode. If thats what youre referring to, ignore me.

Yeah, I know that it imports game's icon, but it also uses those icons in grid mode, where for non-Steam games you have a small icon in the middle of a big grey box.

vocab

Well if it's part of the EA stuff, the documentation, and licenses are probably collecting dust in some warehouse with System Shock 1 and 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steve Youngblood said:
Hmm... I remember this:

i5Tq1.jpg

So, in summation, I honestly don't have the slightest clue who actually owns the distribution rights to any of that stuff.
Shits crazy right? Man fuck these companies for throwing publishing rights around.

stuminus3

I vaguely remember something about EA publishing the European version, Eidos publishing the North American version, and SCE themselves publishing the original Japanese version. Something crazy like that. Was that it? I definitely remember an EA logo on the PS1 game.

It'll just have been for distribution though (like Valve's publishing deal with EA), not anything relating to actual rights.

Thabass

Steve Youngblood said:
Hmm... I remember this:

i5Tq1.jpg

So, in summation, I honestly don't have the slightest clue who actually owns the distribution rights to any of that stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Square Enix now own Eidos? So, wouldn't that put...Square Enix in charge of the distribution of at least Final Fantasy VII for the PC?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
mattiewheels said:
It's good for linking CD keys to, I haven't had to touch my discs since. I think they allow unlimited DL.
I know they're supposed to have a DL limit but I can still download stuff I bought years ago like CnC3, unless games bought before they introduced the limit and exempt.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
stuminus3 said:
I vaguely remember something about EA publishing the European version, Eidos publishing the North American version, and SCE themselves publishing the original Japanese version. Something crazy like that. Was that it? I definitely remember an EA logo on the PS1 game.

It'll just have been for distribution though (like Valve's publishing deal with EA), not anything relating to actual rights.
The back of my box claims that it is the Asia-Pacific edition, not for sale in US or Europe, South America or Japan.

*Conspiracy alert*

EA is buying up areas in the Pacific, Japan was too expensive.

Thabass said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Square Enix now own Eidos? So, wouldn't that put...Square Enix in charge of the distribution of at least Final Fantasy VII for the PC?
To answer your first question: yes. To answer your second question: I don't know, probably? It was published by different companies in different territories. At least in North America, it was Eidos. I don't know whether they retained permanent publishing rights, as that's not my area of expertise.

Lasthope106 said:
The anticipation is killing me. Should I buy games during this sale or save the money for the holiday sale?

Give me Bloodlines Gabe!

Depends on the deal. Games that drop down to $5 from $40 aren't going to go any lower than that during the holiday sale, for instance. I'd say if it feels like the right price to you go ahead and buy it, and don't sweat over regretting it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom