• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

hey, are we putting dibs on packs already? again, totally in for Deus Ex GOTY and now Recettear items shop too, depending on price.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey, I want a place on every pack where each games comes out less than 2,49 but not 2,50*.

I called it, so I'm in, right?

*I may or may not be able to pay for these games the moment they come out. I might not even be around GAF at that time. I may get banned. Or die. I guess we could figure something out, you know, WHEN THEY COME OUT?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
zombieshavebrains said:
So SMB was on XBLA. Does the Steam version have controller support? It is not listed on the page.

Until it comes out we won't know for sure, but it'd be silly not to.

snack

My friend is trying to buy Super Meat Boy via PayPal on Steam but he gets an error:

Your purchase has not been completed.

The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method.

He sent a ticket to Steam Support regarding this issue but does anyone here know what's going on? He bought Day of Defeat: Source on November 11, 2010 so we're not too sure what the problem is.

Kritz

Banned
So I'm really wanting to pick up Shank, Super Meat Boy, Death Spank and Poker at the Poop Party. But I'm kinda realising there might be a sale or two coming up. Should I not buy any of these right at this moment?

Thanks, internet.

Also, I kinda don't have the bandwidth to download any of these games at the moment, I just love buying stupid shit I don't need, even when I have like 50 unplayed games on my shelf looking at me.

Edit: lols bought SMB and Poker Thing

People, the ONLY things you should be buying right now if anything are games that are on the pre-purchase list. Those games will not be on sale. Every single game that has been released, DO. NOT. BUY. Wait for the sales.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
LovingSteam said:
<Lovingste> recettear items shop 8 pack

I want in on this. Gotta be seven other people that would too, right?

And thanks for the updates, LovingSteam.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Do we know if SMB is eventually going to be released for Mac? I'd probably buy it during the sale if I knew I could eventually play it :p

snack

kenta said:
Do we know if SMB is eventually going to be released for Mac? I'd probably buy it during the sale if I knew I could eventually play it :p
Yup. But it won't be released on launch.

kenta said:

Yes, it will be. And it will be Steamplay so you buy it once and you can play it on either PC or Mac. They're looking at a January release I believe.

As to whether the sale is starting tomorrow, most likely it is. Usually its a 5 day sale so tomorrow through Monday.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Forkball said:
So what does this pack stuff mean? Like Recittear 8-pack or Bejeweled 24 pack...
The Bejeweled one was a joke (I think), but it seems that for some odd reason, Valve is going to be doing large packs for some games. Like the Left4Dead 4 pack came with 4 copies of the game. Most likely its going to be pushed as being able to buy gifts for all your friends easily.

Forkball said:
So what does this pack stuff mean? Like Recittear 8-pack or Bejeweled 24 pack...

Two possibilities:

1) Just like the 4-packs, one person buys the pack and gifts the extras to their friends, obviously at a reduced cost.

2) A person buys the game and is given guest passes to the others.

I'm thinking the most likely case is #1. We will just have to wait and see.

Joe Molotov

They should do it like where every time you buy a game during Black Friday, there's a chance you'll randomly win a 8-Pack of some game for you and your friends.

vocab

Joe Molotov said:
They should do it like where every time you buy a game during Black Friday, there's a chance you'll randomly win a 8-Pack of some game for you and your friends.

I wouldn't mind if they gave out a 50 pack for Vampire Masquerade so we can finally own it.

Shaneus

Joe Molotov said:
They should have achievements for Steam in general.
"Purchased 10 games during a Steam sale"
"Purchased game not installed for 1 month"

hey guys i heard steam is adding achievements to the program for buying stuff and using different payment types and stuff. going to save my payment info right now to knock out a really easy one ;D

LovingSteam said:
People, the ONLY things you should be buying right now if anything are games that are on the pre-purchase list. Those games will not be on sale. Every single game that has been released, DO. NOT. BUY. Wait for the sales.
Everyone: Listen to this man, Steam Sales are very serious business.

Shaneus

They should offer packs for games with shitty DRM that have limited installs. 3? Get fucked. 8x3 installs? Now we're talking!

I'm getting ready for the sale but honestly I got most of what I wanted last year and during the various sales this year. I suppose I'll keep my eye on things like RE5, any and all adventure games, and anything I may have missed. I love Steam sales, folks

Minsc

Gold Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm getting ready for the sale but honestly I got most of what I wanted last year and during the various sales this year. I suppose I'll keep my eye on things like RE5, any and all adventure games, and anything I may have missed. I love Steam sales, folks

This is really the best part of the Steam sale for me, discovering all the titles I've forgot about and want to get. I don't even have a list of titles I want to buy, I'm letting Steam do all the work!

gotee12

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

How about $9.99 at Impulse?

Is it wrong to post a sale from a non-Steam site in this thread if someone is looking for the game? Don't want to derail the thread or anything...

gotee12 said:

Is it wrong to post a sale from a non-Steam site in this thread if someone is looking for the game? Don't want to derail the thread or anything...

IMO it's fine and we do it fairly often.

RE5 will almost certainly go on sale at Steam though. I've seen it on sale several times during these big events.

RickA238

gregor7777 said:
RE5 will almost certainly go on sale at Steam though. I've seen it on sale several times during these big events.

I'm definitely bullish on RE5 PC, I'm gonna have to pick it up if/when it goes on sale. anything under $7 is insta-buy for me. I put in ~80 hours into the 360 version, it's an unbelievably fun game to co-op with a friend. So much content. And for those who haven't seen it on PC, it's honestly one of the best looking games I've ever seen, at 1080P, locked 60FPS.

Does anyone know what the DLC situation is like for the Steam version? Does it come with the Versus mode, DLC packs, etc.?

I can't recall, does Steam ever put DLC at large discounts for these major sales?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
gotee12 said:

Absolutely no one will tell you to GTFO for it. Really, everone in here is a cool poster with a reasonable attitude. What a nice community.

Watch your back

gotee12 said:
There's like ten people that want you dead right now, but fuck 'em, no one checks the general DD thread.

Joe Molotov

RickA238 said:
I'm definitely bullish on RE5 PC, I'm gonna have to pick it up if/when it goes on sale. anything under $7 is insta-buy for me. I put in ~80 hours into the 360 version, it's an unbelievably fun game to co-op with a friend. So much content. And for those who haven't seen it on PC, it's honestly one of the best looking games I've ever seen, at 1080P, locked 60FPS.

Does anyone know what the DLC situation is like for the Steam version? Does it come with the Versus mode, DLC packs, etc.?

I can't recall, does Steam ever put DLC at large discounts for these major sales?

Usually if a game goes on sale, they put the DLC on sale too. They didn't release any DLC for the PC version for RE5, though.

John

Minsc said:
This is really the best part of the Steam sale for me, discovering all the titles I've forgot about and want to get. I don't even have a list of titles I want to buy, I'm letting Steam do all the work!
DD sales and this thread are the reason why I don't even look at magazine or gamesite previews or even GAF previews anymore. If it's on sale -> see the steam sale thread impression. That's it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
While I appreciate being informed of competing deals, it only makes sense to see it if it is during a period of direct competition (like, for example, Steam putting Resident Evil 5 on sale and Impulse having it for less), or if the game in question is activated on Steam.

This is the Steam thread, not the Digital Dealz thread (which, incidentally, we have: Bandwidth caps be damned! GAF's thread for Digital Distribution Deals). I understand that "people don't read that thread," but that is ultimately self-fulfilling because no one posts the stuff that should actually be going in there.

It's harmless and is coming from the right place (the place in your heart that likes to save me money), but in my opinion, it is outside the scope of this thread.

John

morningbus said:
While I appreciate being informed of competing deals, it only makes sense to see it if it is during a period of direct competition (like, for example, Steam putting Resident Evil 5 on sale and Impulse having it for less), or if the game in question is activated on Steam.

This is the Steam thread, not the Digital Dealz thread (which, incidentally, we have: Bandwidth caps be damned! GAF's thread for Digital Distribution Deals). I understand that "people don't read that thread," but that is ultimately self-fulfilling because no one posts the stuff that should actually be going in there.
sounds like there's nothing to be done about it

morningbus said:

It's harmless and is coming from the right place (the place in your heart that likes to save me money), but in my opinion, it is outside the scope of this thread.

I agree if it's someone posting Impulse's weekly deal or something like that, but when someone says "I wish X game would go on sale soon", I think it's helpful if someone points out that that specific game happens to be on sale at a competitor. It's not like it's an epidemic in this thread, they only pop up every now and then and it's usually in direct response to a request for a sale.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
gregor7777 said:
I agree if it's someone posting Impulse's weekly deal or something like that, but when someone says "I wish X game would go on sale soon", I think it's helpful if someone points out that that specific game happens to be on sale at a competitor. It's not like it's an epidemic in this thread, they only pop up every now and then and it's usually in direct response to a request for a sale.

That's how this thread has always operated; when it's immediately relevant, post outside deals.

However, and I hate to single out an individual poster because, again, it doesn't really bother me, the original kerfuffle over this happened when Toma posted some deals from Amazon, completely unprompted. We've since had completely civil discussions on the best place to pre-order the Witcher 2, and gotee12 posted that link to Resident Evil 5 with the only complaints being from people expecting a massive backlash for doing so.

I don't think anyone in this thread has ever jumped on someone for answering a person's question or suggesting another place to get a game they want.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
morningbus said:
That's how this thread has always operated; when it's immediately relevant, post outside deals.

However, and I hate to single out an individual poster because, again, it doesn't really bother me, the original kerfuffle over this happened when Toma posted some deals from Amazon, completely unprompted. We've since had completely civil discussions on the best place to pre-order the Witcher 2, and gotee12 posted that link to Resident Evil 5 with the only complaints being from people expecting a massive backlash for doing so.

I don't think anyone in this thread has ever jumped on someone for answering a person's question or suggesting another place to get a game they want.
Exactly. That's why I acted so strongly about it. Nobody cares that amazon is having a sale - it's black friday, they're supposed to. Either make a thread about it or Post on the Digital Distribution thread. The bolded part is how it should be done.

It's like going to the Direct2Drive thread (if such thread existed) every week posting Steam sales. It would have no part in that thread.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
morningbus said:

Just to clarify. I was prompting myself basically as it was the first time I heard of Amazon offering decent downloadable games and simply wanted to inform other Steam users since they also might not be aware of it (most of which only check this thread. As do I.)
But hey! I am a bad person for helping people to save some money now because I SPAMMED the whole thread continuosly with offers that didnt concern anyone. (Because saving money does obviously not concern people who said they dont give a shit whether a game is a few dollars cheaper somewhere else)

Really. So annoying this guy. What was his name? Toma? Awful. On the blacklist with him.

Oh and I only posted games that are available on Steam for Steam users in THIS very thread to be able to compare prices and decide whether it might interest them to compare prices with another service.

Toma said:
Just to clarify. I was prompting myself basically as it was the first time I heard of Amazon offering decent downloadable games and simply wanted to inform other Steam users since they also might not be aware of it.
But hey! I am a bad person for helping people to save some money now because I SPAMMED the whole thread continuosly with offers that didnt concern anyone. (Because saving money does obviously not concern people who said they dont give a shit whether a game is a few dollars cheaper somewhere else)

Really. So annoying this guy. What was his name? Toma? Awful. On the blacklist with him.
If there was any thread derailment, it was people complaining about what you posted.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
gregor7777 said:
Yeah, definitely. I mean, if you don't like it I can only imagine you have some kind of unhealthy attachment to Valve or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom