• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

drizzle said:
Discounts are pouring in, but there's no banner or advertisement about it? wth, glitch maybe?

Some of them are showing up in the specials tab. Deus Ex and the Indie Pack were at least.

Hows Alpha Protocol? Sorry for all of the questions but I trust you guys more than metacritic.

EDIT: Lol, you guys posted impressions before I even asked. Hmmm

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Alpha Protocol tip:
- You will totally fuck yourself over if you build a straight melee character. Melee works fine almost all the way through the game, except boss fights, where you'll need a gun. Pistols are fine, just not melee!

Salaadin said:
Hows Alpha Protocol? Sorry for all of the questions but I trust you guys more than metacritic.

Awesome jank, basically. Shooting doesn't quite work, melee doesn't quite work, the characters are kind of dumb, it doesn't really look great, but it still adds up to an incredibly fun game with a lot of great, although rough-around-the-edges, ideas.

You know how a lot of people say "All the AAA games this generation are so boring and sterile, they're like push-A-to-Win simulators, interactive movies, and dudebro garbage. I want something different, even if it means giving up some of the Hollywood big budget polish."? Well Alpha Protocol is a great game if that's the way you feel.

I paid ~$25 for the 360 version and feel like I definitely got my money's worth!

Peff

Time to buy the superior version of AP :D I hope it's one of the longer deals because I'm not sure I'll be able to charge the card tomorrow :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you are an Obsidian fan and don't pick up Alpha Protocol for that price you are a bad human being. The game runs fine (zero crashes) and plays perfectly on a 360 pad.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Drkirby said:
So $2 a game? This would be great if I didn't own the game.

Lets see if that Ruse pack is up yet.

Edit: Yep, $150, youch.
These 6-8-10 game packs are idiotic. Who is buying them, other than forums and people that are going to sell the copies for full price after the sale?

Stumpokapow said:
Alpha Protocol tip:
- You will totally fuck yourself over if you build a straight melee character. Melee works fine almost all the way through the game, except boss fights, where you'll need a gun. Pistols are fine, just not melee!

Not true! first game I played was stealth and melee only. The boss fights were not a problem at all other than the time it would take to finish them. You never need a gun except for one or two parts where the game will provide special weapons for you (both are near the end).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Peff said:
Deux Ex Collection 5€ (I guess 5$ too).
Yep, and they are each $2.49 each on top of it (Don't be a sucker, but both at $2.49 and save that Penny!)

I think it may be one of the 1 day deals though, since its discount is called "Thanksgiving Sale - Wednesday: "

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
drizzle said:
These 6-8-10 game packs are idiotic. Who is buying them, other than forums and people that are going to sell the copies for full price after the sale?

$20 for a Christmas gift for 9 of your friends? And the christmas gift is one of the best games of the decade? How idiotic.

Linkzg said:
Not true! first game I played was stealth and melee only. The boss fights were not a problem at all other than the time it would take to finish them. You never need a gun except for one or two parts where the game will provide special weapons for you (both are near the end).

I went all melee with a little tiny bit of pistols and died like 50+ times at the Rome boss. I'm not saying I'm an amazing player or anything, but that's a bit much :p

Nabs

Borderlands 6 pack for $40. Pretty nice deal. I already own Borderlands, and can buy the pack as a gift. Nice.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Linkzg said:
No it sucks. The skills don't help each other at all.

coopolon said:
It might just be barely worth it at that price. It runs fine, if not exceptionally well on PC. The game is just garbage most of the way through with a few good character here and there.
Lol I was happy paying 50$ for it.

coopolon

IS there a Borderlands DLC pack deal? I'd be willing to get some super cheap DLC, I'd check myself but the Steam site is all messed up for me right now.

Stallion Free said:
Lol I was happy paying 50$ for it.
I paid the same price, and it's probably my biggest gaming regret of the year. But again, for $7.50, there's enough redeeming stuff there I'd still encourage anyone to get it. I played it with kb/m and no problems for those who don't like the 360 pad.

drizzle said:

Man I was totally wrong. I thought for sure those actually meant something else and that Valve would never be selling packs that big, shows what I know.

Luckily GAF is one of the few places that you could possibly unload something like. Maybe I'll try to get the PC gamers that I know here at work in on some organized buying.

Lothars

drizzle said:

I don't think it's a bad thing for a packs especially if you have a group that you want to get the game for.

Salaadin

These packs are practically made for gaf and other forums. They arent bad at all.

Borderlands is great on PC too. I only recently started playing it again but I got it mostly maxed at 1920x1080 and MLAA and its damn sexy to look at.

GHG

Gold Member
WTF. So I've been away from GAF and gaming in general for a few weeks and come back and there's a Steam sale on. My poor wallet.

And GT5 is actually looking to be GT4 in HD for the most part :O . Guess I'm the sucker because I'm still buying a PS3 just for that game. Thank god for the PC to unleash the graphics whore in me.

Have I missed anything else?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That Indie Bundle for 90% off is so mine in a minute.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
drizzle said:
Valve is most likely going to push it as "Get a gift for all your friends this Holiday!"

Edgeward

Damn! I just got the ps3 version of Alpha Protocol for 10 off of the gamefly sale. :lol

Will get Sam and Max season 3, though. Even though I can not finished season 2. Ah, PC gaming, you hurt so good.

Kabouter

Bebpo said:
I rented this on X360 and it didn't seem worth even that. Talk to me when it's $7.50 or less.
I played it on PC, it's not worth 7.50 imo. It's one of the best examples of all that is bad about this generation. It's soulless generic crap.

Shambles

I've often heard of people speak wel of Duex Ex but have never played it myself, is it still worth picking up or has it not aged well?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kabouter said:
I played it on PC, it's not worth 7.50 imo. It's one of the best examples of all that is bad about this generation. It's soulless generic crap.

Keep on hating, in the mean time I'll be hanging out in my sweet-ass apartment talking to honeys and checkin mah email

Shambles said:
I've often heard of people speak wel of Duex Ex but have never played it myself, is it still worth picking up or has it not aged well?

It was ugly and clunky when it was released, so I wouldn't say it's "aged well", but underneath that clunkiness is atmospheric music, amazing game design, excellent pacing and level design, a well-told story, and varied, interesting gaming. It's an excellent game, one of the best PC "RPG"s ever made.

Stallion Free said:
No it sucks. The skills don't help each other at all.

I'm not saying it was good, just that it is possible.

Stumpokapow said:
I went all melee with a little tiny bit of pistols and died like 50+ times at the Rome boss. I'm not saying I'm an amazing player or anything, but that's a bit much :p

did you invest in stealth? I think my tactic involved patience, running away, and going invisible. the ways you had to take them down certainly looked silly. Like, one boss fight was won by running in circles and having the boss get confused by a ledge.

Stumpokapow said:
Keep on hating, in the mean time I'll be hanging out in my sweet-ass apartment talking to honeys and checkin mah email

they're talking about Prototype there I think

I'd agree that it isn't worth $7.50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom