• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

Bought that Indie Story Pack for £3.99, it's payday today and that was just too good to pass up what with Recettear being in it. I need to get myself a wired controller to use with Recettear though, I tried the demo and the key controls are just weird (even after remapping them).

aasoncott

Dammit, I'm trying to return to the master race, I really am, but this is damn frustrating. Bought a bunch of games on Steam. New Vegas? Crashes every ten minutes. Alpha Protocol? Inexplicably inverts my controller so that pushing up makes my character walk backwards, with no confirmed fix. So I load up Recettear -- stretches awfully on my 10:9 screen, and my nVidia control panel is seemingly missing the option to keep it from stretching. Mirror's Edge? Can't play past a certain section, because there's a timed event that completely ignores the button press.

How does one join the master race? Is there some sort of blood sacrifice I neglected to make?

Blizzard

Banned
aasoncott said:
Dammit, I'm trying to return to the master race, I really am, but this is damn frustrating. Bought a bunch of games on Steam. New Vegas? Crashes every ten minutes. Alpha Protocol? Inexplicably inverts my controller so that pushing up makes my character walk backwards, with no confirmed fix. So I load up Recettear -- stretches awfully on my 10:9 screen, and my nVidia control panel is seemingly missing the option to keep it from stretching. Mirror's Edge? Can't play past a certain section, because there's a timed event that completely ignores the button press.

How does one join the master race? Is there some sort of blood sacrifice I neglected to make?
What timed event are you referring to in Mirror's Edge? The only one I can think of is the disarm for a boss fight, and you might be pressing the wrong button or missing the timing there. I'm not a fan of that particular section.

Fredescu

New Vegas crashes for the unwashed too.

I've played 40 hours of Alpha Protocol with the controller and never had that problem. You're using the 360 controller right? And it works fine in other games? It's probably something funky in one of the ini files. Right click on the game in your library, go to the local files tab, and click verify integrity of game cache. If that doesn't work, try renaming the <documents>\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config folder and click verify integrity again.

Recettear doesn't support many resolutions. If you don't want it to look stretched, play it in windowed mode.

No idea about that problem in Mirror's Edge. I've played through it twice on PC with no problem. With this plus your AP problem, might you have controller problems?

aasoncott

Blizzard said:
What timed event are you referring to in Mirror's Edge? The only one I can think of is the disarm for a boss fight, and you might be pressing the wrong button or missing the timing there. I'm not a fan of that particular section.

Yeah, the disarm. Trust me when I say that it doesn't recognize the keypress -- I've played through the game on PS3 already, and I tried around a hundred times over the course of a week. It doesn't matter if you do it early, late, right on time, or mash it repeatedly like a madman.

Anyway, after I wrote that I started up Borderlands, which... doesn't detect my gamepad. Awesome.

No, I'm not using a 360 pad -- I'm using a DS3 (with the official Sony drivers). The only game I really played with it so far was a bit of Crysis, which worked beautifully (which is ironic, because Crysis is supposed to be strictly 360-only).

aasoncott said:
Yeah, the disarm. Trust me when I say that it doesn't recognize the keypress -- I've played through the game on PS3 already, and I tried around a hundred times over the course of a week. It doesn't matter if you do it early, late, right on time, or mash it repeatedly like a madman.

Anyway, after I wrote that I started up Borderlands, which... doesn't detect my gamepad. Awesome.

No, I'm not using a 360 pad -- I'm using a DS3 (with the official Sony drivers). The only game I really played with it so far was a bit of Crysis, which worked beautifully (which is ironic, because Crysis is supposed to be strictly 360-only).
I had so much trouble with the disarm at first. Then I figured something out. I don't remember what it was but Blizzard worked me through it. :D

I also use the DS3. It is frustrating. The official drivers do not work and the unofficial drivers are complicated. But it's worth investing in a much better quality controller anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
aasoncott said:

Ah, I was wondering whether your Alpha Protocol problems were caused by a non-360 gamepad. Maybe you can find something by playing around with the XBox 360 controller emulator or whatnot.

For Mirror's Edge, you've played it on the PS3, but are you sure your gamepad isn't messing you up again? Try that segment on easy difficulty, with the red highlight on, and use the KEYBOARD disarm. Wait until you see the bar turn red before pressing the button. Make sure you check the options so you know which key it is. Also, do NOT hit it repeatedly, I'm pretty sure that will make you autofail any disarm if you're early.

I think Mirror's Edge is well worth it on PC even if you have to play that tiny segment with the keyboard, but that's just me. Of course, I think the keyboard and mouse controls are quite well done in Mirror's Edge in general, but I'm not going to try to convince you of that. :p

For what it's worth, I've probably done 5-6 full Mirror's Edge playthroughs on varying difficulties including the hardest no-reticule no-weapons avoiding combat kind of thing, but I think I still fail that disarm like 2/3 of the time. Stupid QTEs.

ZZMitch

Just finished Portal for the first time.

Awesome.

I felt like a kid again near the end
, like I had found a secret area or a glitch in a game, it was so cool.

Fredescu

Blizzard said:
Of course, I think the keyboard and mouse controls are quite well done in Mirror's Edge in general, but I'm not going to try to convince you of that. :p
Yeah, I much prefered KB/M in Mirror's Edge.

vocab

aasoncott said:
Dammit, I'm trying to return to the master race, I really am, but this is damn frustrating. Bought a bunch of games on Steam. New Vegas? Crashes every ten minutes.

Welcome to Gamebryo Engine. Enjoy your crashes. Seriously Fallout 3 crashes so much it's a piece of shit.

aasoncott

Blizzard said:
Ah, I was wondering whether your Alpha Protocol problems were caused by a non-360 gamepad. Maybe you can find something by playing around with the XBox 360 controller emulator or whatnot.

Tried a controller emulator, didn't make any difference.

For Mirror's Edge, you've played it on the PS3, but are you sure your gamepad isn't messing you up again? Try that segment on easy difficulty, with the red highlight on, and use the KEYBOARD disarm. Wait until you see the bar turn red before pressing the button. Make sure you check the options so you know which key it is. Also, do NOT hit it repeatedly, I'm pretty sure that will make you autofail any disarm if you're early.

I was playing on keyboard. When I couldn't make it work after the hundredth time, I tried the gamepad. Still won't work. And like I said, I came back to it several times over multiple days, trying it a couple dozen times and then closing the game again.

Blizzard

Banned
aasoncott said:
Tried a controller emulator, didn't make any difference.

I was playing on keyboard. When I couldn't make it work after the hundredth time, I tried the gamepad. Still won't work. And like I said, I came back to it several times over multiple days, trying it a couple dozen times and then closing the game again.
So you've tried it on easy, you can see the red highlight, and you're literally only pressing the disarm key (which you've verified in the game options?) once, when the red highlight is visible? Have you tried doing it in easy mode with slow-motion activated so you might be able to see the highlight better? I'm not meaning to insult your intelligence, just trying to be thorough.

The only thing I can even think of is right clicking the game in Steam, going into properties->local files, and verifying the integrity of the game cache. I'm sorry...I don't know that I have ever heard of anyone have that particular disarm completely ignore the keyboard or something, especially with the official Steam version. :( It's incredibly bizarre.

vocab said:
Welcome to Gamebryo Engine. Enjoy your crashes. Seriously Fallout 3 crashes so much it's a piece of shit.

I love how people blame the gamebryo engine for crashes and memory leaks in Oblivion / Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas.

Yet somehow other games using the same engine but that aren't made by Bethesda (Bully, Epic Mickey, Civilization 4) aren't as bug or crash ridden.

Yup, clearly all the engines fault.

UrbanRats

Anybody here tried CitiesXL 2011? I have CitiesXL and it's unplayable because of that bug they never fixed, but i have a 50%(+25%)discount on the 2011 edition.. have they fixed it? Is it any good?

MrNyarlathotep said:
I love how people blame the gamebryo engine for crashes and memory leaks in Oblivion / Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas.

Yet somehow other games using the same engine but that aren't made by Bethesda (Bully, Epic Mickey, Civilization 4) aren't as bug or crash ridden.

Not that I'm taking sides, but I remember Bully having bugs, and didn't Epic Mickey just come out like today?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
MrNyarlathotep said:

I couldn't beat Fallout 3 because it kept crashing and wouldn't let me make any progress. No amount of googling and scavenging the Bethseda forums helped me at all. Great game marred by horrendously terrible bugs. People have every right to bitch and complain about the games.

Haeleos

Jangaroo said:
I couldn't beat Fallout 3 because it kept crashing and wouldn't let me make any progress. No amount of googling and scavenging the Bethseda forums helped me at all. Great game marred by horrendously terrible bugs. People have every right to bitch and complain about the games.

He's just saying it's not necessarily the engine's fault...

Ledsen

aasoncott said:

Play Recettear in a window.

vocab

MrNyarlathotep said:

I'm blaming Bethesda more than anything. The stuttering in Oblivion and Fallout 3 on W7 is unbearable at times. I wonder if they even patched the stuttering problems for NV. They known about the problem for years.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wolf Akela said:
Well, depending on the price I will probably be up for a part in a SC:Conviction pack sale.

Anyway, between this and the Christmas sale, Steam is going to severely hurt my wallet. The last 2 days have seen me buy AP, The Indie Story Pack and K&L2, all for less than half the retail price of a new PC release.

FunBoy said:
Bought myself an alt on EVE omg :eek:
Still trying to convince myself not to buy EVE due to lack of time etc. I'm nearly failing.

SmokyDave

Just grabbed Audiosurf, The Indie Story pack and Super Meat Boy. The Indie Story pack is a ridiculously good price.

And now they all go into the backlog because there aren't enough hours for GT5 as it is :)

Leatherface

Anyone doing the Left4Dead2 6 pack? If so I'm willing to buy a copy. Same with Puzzle Quest 2. PM me. :)

p.s.- Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Dunlop

My ISP went down this morning. While waiting for a callback I tried to play Torchlight

Click on shortcut-->Steam Updating-->Cannot Update(obviously)-->Click on play offline-->This operation cannot be performed offline

for every single one of my steam titles

so not impressed

Tim-E

Nabs said:
That's weird, I never had a problem playing a game in Offline Mode.

Me neither. I was without internet for a month once and was able to play every game I had installed without any trouble.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I think I've had some Valve titles not play in offline mode before (I think it was HL2 + Eps) but everything else I've ever bought usually plays just fine offline.

Dynoro

I think if the Steam client wants to update (but cannot as you have no internet connection) it prevents the games being played - I could be wrong though. I've never had a problem personally using offline mode but always turn it to offline mode after an update has completed and no games require an update.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dunlop said:
My ISP went down this morning. While waiting for a callback I tried to play Torchlight

Click on shortcut-->Steam Updating-->Cannot Update(obviously)-->Click on play offline-->This operation cannot be performed offline

for every single one of my steam titles

so not impressed
Offline mode only works if the game and steam is fully updated.

Dunlop

weird because I have been using steam all week to check for sale so the client is definately up to date, unless something happend since last night at about 11:30pm est. Not the end of the world as I am at work now but found it amusing as this was supposed to be one of the strentghs of Steam

nemesun

FunBoy said:
Bought myself an alt on EVE omg :eek:
One day you will wake up and realize that you won't be able to use that brand new Fenrir to haul your stuff when you get evicted in real life. You've been warned.

aasoncott

Blizzard said:
So you've tried it on easy, you can see the red highlight, and you're literally only pressing the disarm key (which you've verified in the game options?) once, when the red highlight is visible? Have you tried doing it in easy mode with slow-motion activated so you might be able to see the highlight better? I'm not meaning to insult your intelligence, just trying to be thorough.

Yes :lol

I've tried easy, I've tried slow motion, I've tried keyboard, I've tried gamepad. The first fifty times I couldn't get it to trigger I wondered if I had the gaming skills of a cardboard box. The second fifty attempts finally convinced me something was actually wrong. I've done everything I can to try to fix it.

Oh well. Honestly, the fact that I can't make my character walk forwards in Alpha Protocol is bugging me more.

Leatherface

Are any of you doing the pack deals? I really want to get in on that if so. Also I don't mind grabbing one to share if others are willing to do the same. Shouldn't be too much of an issue if we all are using paypal.

Anyone want to do the Left4Dead2 6 pack?

kswiston

Repurchased Batman AA. I previously had the game on PS3, but traded it in towards a 360 slim (My 20GB was getting long in the tooth, and EB Canada had a promotion where any game with a $8+ TIV was bumped up to $25 store credit when used towards a system).

I also purchased the indie story bundle. These indie bundles are some of the best deals in gaming.

Currently crossing my fingers that the Just Cause 2 pack is actually real (and offered at a good price). Would also like to see Dead Space, Fallout 3 GOTY and Bad Company 2 go on sale either now, or in a month during the holiday sale.

Leatherface said:
Are any of you doing the pack deals? I really want to get in on that if so. Also I don't mind grabbing one to share if others are willing to do the same. Shouldn't be too much of an issue if we all are using paypal.

Anyone want to do the Left4Dead2 6 pack?
Yeah, that's all being organized in here in the Community forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom