• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
legend166 said:
This Eurogamer review of Tropico makes is sounds great:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/tropico-3-pc-review

I might pick it up. Anyone on here able to give impressions?

It is pretty great - like I said last page, it's easily worth that price and with the expansion bundled in too its a great deal.

Brief synopsis for fencesitters:
Its a sim-city on a small scale kind of game. You're the dictator of an island in the caribbean in the 1960s and onwards, and basically have to survive whatever the scenario objective is (some are very off the wall).

Its the middle of the cold war, so you've got both the USSR and USA sniffing around you and trying to set you up as a puppet state (which you can accept, or stay independent), your islanders are all different factions who all want different things (your capitalists want you to rape the shit out of the environment by setting up heavy processing and industry, your ecologists want you to preserve the islands natural beauty for example) and if people get too pissed off with how you're running things, they don't send you strongly worded letters to the newspaper of complaint; they pick up guns and go run off to live in the jungle as guerilla freedom fighters instead.

You have an actual avatar who you can make wander around (and you get small temporary buffs to buildings by making him visit them in person) and you can customise that avatar with a series of benefits and flaws at the start of the game (so you can choose to be a war hero who - hilariously - will run into combat if rebels attack soemwhere and singlehandedly shoot them all, and offset that by being a notorious womaniser so all of the femal inhabitants of the island like you a little less right off the bat for example).

Also of course you can issue any edicts you want to shape what kind of government you want to run, many of which will piss someone or other off. Like setting up a personal swiss bank account to siphon cash off of every building you make into your own personal slush fund, or setting up aa secret police force and having dissidents mysteriously die i accidents if they try and run against you in an election for example.

It's a lot of fun ^_^

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
GC|Simon said:
Bought Kane & Lynch 2 yesterday and since a few minutes... I'm through it. I loved the first one, but this game is a hige disappointment. Remember the prison, the bank or Retomoto from the first game? All you will get here is Shanghai. And this YouTube look... horrible! Can't recommend it.
I'm so glad I flipped a coin, and bought Batman instead.

Zzoram

Tropico 3 is a great game. I played the shit out of it, beating all the missions in both the base game and expansion.

You can also do random challenges or a free play mode.

Jintor

Tropico 3 is a great game. Gets a little repetitive after a while but that's the nature of city building game! Way better than CitiesXL2011 at any rate

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just cause 2 is $14.99 for digital download at Gamestop. Ends 11/29 so I think I will wait and see if steam beats that.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Forkball said:
Nothing interesting for me today. The new indie game pack is a steal, but I've never heard of any of those.
World of Goo is kinda well known. VVVVVV is also awesome.

wrowa

Fuck this shit.

After all, Physx was indeed the cause of the problem. After reinstalling it, the error message doesn't pop up anymore and finally the game starts ... or so I thought. But instead the display just becomes black and I get the next error message :lol "BmGame isn't working anymore" followed by ... this.

fuckthisshit.jpg

So, now it's some GFWL shit that's causing an issue in combination with the graphics card, I guess. Because I realized something "funny": I can play the game with the integrated Intel HD graphics; it starts without problems (needless to say that this Intel HD graphics stuff isn't able to run it at an acceptable level). If I try to start it with the Nvidia gpu it crashes with the error message. What a fucked up piece of shit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Forkball said:
Nothing interesting for me today. The new indie game pack is a steal, but I've never heard of any of those.
Really? World of Goo is one of the more famous indie games recently. Its also fantastic in gameplay and in visuals/music, hell IGN
lol IGN whatever
gave it Wii GOTY a few years back.

WoG at fifteen bucks is a good price. At five its a downright steal, and that's not including the other games.

MNC

I'd buy this indie pack for VVVVVVV and WoG alone. Eufloria always piqued my interest and the rest are just free games. The only indie pack i really want.

Dunlop said:
My ISP went down this morning. While waiting for a callback I tried to play Torchlight

Click on shortcut-->Steam Updating-->Cannot Update(obviously)-->Click on play offline-->This operation cannot be performed offline

for every single one of my steam titles

so not impressed

Damn right! I too would be not impressed with your ISP. If it's a frequent problem, maybe try a new ISP. You pay for service, you expect it.

Dawn of War II and its expansion for 14$ dollars, such an inviting price. It's a pity that it comes with GFWL. No matter how attractive the price, GFWL is a deal breaker.

Joe Molotov

I know it's a little late to point this out, but to everyone thinking about Burnout Paradise, it has been cheaper than this before. It was $7.50 during last Christmas sale.

Blizzard

Banned
ipukespiders said:
Damn right! I too would be not impressed with your ISP. If it's a frequent problem, maybe try a new ISP. You pay for server, you expect it.
I'm pretty much a Valve/Steam fan, but I would still be disappointed if I tried to use the offline feature, which has had problems for years and repeated "fixes", and found all of my games didn't work. Imagine that sort of thing happening if Valve made a mistake and broke something, or if or their servers went down.

In this case, it was probably something about his client or games being in a weird state regarding updates, but still.

Jintor

Blizzard said:
I'm pretty much a Valve/Steam fan, but I would still be disappointed if I tried to use the offline feature, which has had problems for years and repeated "fixes", and found all of my games didn't work. Imagine that sort of thing happening if Valve made a mistake and broke something, or if or their servers went down.

In this case, it was probably something about his client or games being in a weird state regarding updates, but still.

Steam's offline feature is still kinda a pain. Do you still have to set it to offline before d/cing from the net or something? I don't remember.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I had no internet for a few days now so imagine my surprise when just i just checked the steam store now :lol WOW! Damn these deals are pretty fucking crazy, fuck.

Fredescu

Forkball said:
World of Goo, Eufloria, and VVVVVV are among the best indie games out there.

dani_dc

Yeah, both VVVVVV and World of Goo are great games, it's well worth picking the pack if you own neither.

Joe Molotov said:
I know it's a little late to point this out, but to everyone thinking about Burnout Paradise, it has been cheaper than this before. It was $7.50 during last Christmas sale.
Burnout Paradise was cheaper during an EA specific sale on June, 3.74 euros to be exact (not sure how the US price compared).

ghst

thanks for the laugh
wrowa said:
So, now it's some GFWL shit that's causing an issue in combination with the graphics card, I guess. Because I realized something "funny": I can play the game with the integrated Intel HD graphics; it starts without problems (needless to say that this Intel HD graphics stuff isn't able to run it at an acceptable level). If I try to start it with the Nvidia gpu it crashes with the error message. What a fucked up piece of shit.
various xlive.dll crashes have completely blocked me from any and all gfwl live games, it was a little present delivered by the recent update.

it's like your dad arriving at the door after 10 years, cap in hand, ready to make amends - only to take three steps in the door, break your nose with a spade, set fire to your dog and run around pissing up the furniture singing "i'm a little teapot".

vocab

Blablurn said:
just played some "and yet it moves". consider me surprised! it's a pretty good game. i like the graphic style as well.

Ya, it's pretty good. It's short, but it keeps adding new things to throw you off. I'm enjoying it a lot, and i'll probably beat it tonight.

Blizzard

Banned
ghst said:
various xlive.dll crashes have completely blocked me from any and all gfwl live games, it was a little present delivered by the recent update.

it's like your dad arriving at the door after 10 years, cap in hand, ready to make amends - only to take three steps in the door, break your nose with a spade, set fire to your dog and run around pissing up the furniture singing "i'm a little teapot".
:lol You were that guy who lost access to all your GFWL games then? I guess I was hoping Microsoft had gotten around to fixing that, but I guess not.

vocab

Sgt.Pepper said:
My god, that indie pack is a steal; I already have World of Goo, how are the others?

VVVVVV is probably the best indie game on steam. Just get it for that, and consider the others a bonus.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Offline mode issues? My two younger bros abuse the shit out of it to play games on my account. They don't even fucking disconnect from the internet or anything.

I mean Steam is easily better than disc based games for singleplayer because I can be playing the same singleplayer game at the same time as my brothers while only having bought one copy.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Bought batman AA, question though, they ask me to enter the key that steam gives me at first, i register it. Then when the game starts, it tries to connect to windows live and re-enter a key, i skipped that since i heard windows live can ''steal'' steam games.. is that right?

Dunlop

ipukespiders said:
Damn right! I too would be not impressed with your ISP. If it's a frequent problem, maybe try a new ISP. You pay for service, you expect it.

? it was like 5am and we just had some crazy weather. I want an offline mode to work when I am...offline?

Unplug your cable and see if it works

Rufus

Buggy Loop said:
Bought batman AA, question though, they ask me to enter the key that steam gives me at first, i register it. Then when the game starts, it tries to connect to windows live and re-enter a key, i skipped that since i heard windows live can ''steal'' steam games.. is that right?
Never heard of that (and how would that work, anyway?), but I do think that you won't get any achievements if you don't enter the key in GFWL, so if that is of any importance to you...

coopolon

Stallion Free said:
Offline mode issues? My two younger bros abuse the shit out of it to play games on my account. They don't even fucking disconnect from the internet or anything.

I mean Steam is easily better than disc based games for singleplayer because I can be playing the same singleplayer game at the same time as my brothers while only having bought one copy.

Why can't you do that with most non-ubisoft single player disc games?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Rufus said:
Never heard of that (and how would that work, anyway?), but I do think that you won't get any achievements if you don't enter the key in GFWL, so if that is of any importance to you...

Never had to enter my CD key for GTAIV into live and still got achievements (well an achieve, only played it long enough to make sure it ran well enough)

In fact out of the 6 GFWL titles I have, I've only ever had to enter the CD key on Dawn of War 2 and Halo 2

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:

I think I knew at least one person who specifically did this for all kinds of games. Basically they didn't care about multiplayer, so they'd just get their friend to let them log into their account, and then install whatever new games they wanted on their own machine to play in offline mode.

Kind of funny that the people having trouble with it working are the ones who just want it to work when expected, like when power goes out or when I go home for Christmas and don't have Steam access. I think some games worked for me though, so again probably an update status thing.

gah, Direct2drive and gamestop.com have GTA4 for 5 dollars...I am waiting patiently for steam to follow suit so I have the convenience of having it in my steam account

d[-_-]b

Banned
Rawr... so i should've just bought the gold pack for Dawn of War II, but now that I have Chaos Rising, what happens with my extra copy?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
GFWL'd.

Been happening to me ever since the update. Can't even play it anymore. So frustrating.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SalsaShark said:
yay Dawn of war II finished downloading!

http://imgur.com/4g6ou.jpg[IMG]

wat

help :([/QUOTE]
Tried updating GFWL manually? Also, the login screen says that the new GFW speech compression causes crashes in games, so I guess you can also try disabling your mic.

Salsa

Lyphen said:
Tried updating GFWL manually? Also, the login screen says that the new GFW speech compression causes crashes in games, so I guess you can also try disabling your mic.

Thanks, i'll try that. Im installing Chaos Rising first though to see if that doesnt crash. Since the game's basically an expansion (it is stand-alone as well but with less content if you dont own the previous one) i basically wont need to run DOW II vanilla anyway..

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SalsaShark said:
Thanks, i'll try that. Im installing Chaos Rising first though to see if that doesnt crash. Since the game's basically an expansion (it is stand-alone as well but with less content if you dont own the previous one) i basically wont need to run DOW II vanilla anyway..

Works the other way around as well. You can launch DoW 2 by itself and it has all the CR content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom