• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Fredescu said:
Pretty sure they've run out Warband keys. You'll have to wait until they get back in the office.

That's odd, because I can bring up the serial by right clicking on the game. It's just that the key is too long for the activation prompt.

Dug

Banned
mikespit1200 said:
Warband is asking for a serial number but the one in steam doesn't match up with the slot on the activation prompt. Anyone know what to do?
I've looked around and haven't seen any fixes, so I guess everyone who bought it is going to have to wait until the Steam guys fix it.

Fredescu

Yeah, there's a huge thread on the Steam forums about it. You're not alone. It may not be that they've specifically run out of keys, but there is definitely some kind of issue with key generation for Warband. They usually resolve these sort of issues quickly, it's just that there is no one in the office yet.

ZZMitch

I want to play HL2... but I want to play HL1 first!

Put it on sale Valve! If you don't I will have to buy it for 10$ and will find it funny that I spent more on HL1 then on HL2 :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ZZMitch said:

Put it on sale Valve! If you don't I will have to buy it for 10$ and will find it funny that I spent more on HL1 then on HL2 :lol
It's been on sale for ONE DOLLAR before.

Wait for xmas, i'm sure it'll be again.

Najaf

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Play Portal first.

I've completed it on 360 and also picked it up free on steam a while ago on promotion.

ZZMitch said:

This. I have been waiting for HL1 to go on sale for a while.

Mrbob

I'm only midway through stage 2 right now but The Ball is pretty awesome experience so far. Mostly a puzzle game but I love the interaction with the ball you have to use. As I get deeper underground the art direction in the game is starting to pop. Well worth the sale price of 10 bucks right now if you want to try something different and fun.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fredescu said:
Bit Trip.Beat warns you that a controller is not ideal if you try to turn it on.
It just turns off my wired 360 pads completely.

JaseC said:
It boggles my mind that some people still haven't played the original Half-Life. :lol
I can't respect any PC gamer who hasn't at least given it a try. It's like required reading.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought you people were joking or something about the Black Mesa remake being a pipe dream. And then I checked the website and the last Twitter update was like 10 months ago. :(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Are Tidalis and Puzzle Dimensions worth a combined $5? I'm a mac user and they're the only two mac games in the $5 Indie Puzzle Pack: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6791/.

If I bought the pack I wouldn't feel cheated though, because I have Droplitz and Shatter on consoles. So all I really need to figure out is if the above two are worth 5 bones...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
GDJustin said:
Are Tidalis and Puzzle Dimensions worth a combined $5? I'm a mac user and they're the only two mac games in the $5 Indie Puzzle Pack: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6791/.

If I bought the pack I wouldn't feel cheated out of two games, because I have Droplitz and Shatter on consoles. So all I really need to figure out is if the above two are worth 5 bones...
Puzzle Dimensions alone is worth 5$.

kamspy

ATTN: PC Gamers

Splinter Cell Conviction rocks out with it's cock out. It's not Chaos Theory 2. It's not even like a Splinter Cell game. What it is is an action game that is awesome.

The DRM sucks, but hasn't bothered me. I've bought the game 3 times now (360, PC boxed, steam 6 pack), and I've never been kicked.

It's not as bad as limited activation DRM, which most people probably own a few games with. Give it a shot. It's so fucking good in a sugary summer action movie kind of way. Replay value is good thanks to other modes. It's like Uncharted meets Rainbow 6.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kamspy said:

Splinter Cell Conviction rocks out with it's cock out. It's not Chaos Theory 2. It's not even like a Splinter Cell game. What it is is an action game that is awesome.

The DRM sucks, but hasn't bothered me. I've bought the game 3 times now (360, PC boxed, steam 6 pack), and I've never been kicked.

It's not as bad as limited activation DRM, which most people probably own a few games with. Give it a shot. It's so fucking good in a sugary summer action movie kind of way. Replay value is good thanks to other modes. It's like Uncharted meets Rainbow 6.
This.

TheExodu5

Banned
kamspy said:

I would, but $21 is certainly not an impulse buy. If they made it $10, I'd bite.

Jintor

kamspy said:

Man, that sounds like exactly the opposite of what I'd want from a Splinter Cell game :p

Whatevs, glad you're having fun

kamspy said:

It's a pretty good game, too bad it's about 4 hours long.

kamspy

Jintor said:
Man, that sounds like exactly the opposite of what I'd want from a Splinter Cell game :p

Whatevs, glad you're having fun

I feel the same way. But it's a rocking action game that should have been a new IP.

Just because they use the Splinter Cell cannon on this brand new action game engine doesn't mean Splinter Cell fans should ignore. You're doing yourself a disservice and skipping one of the best action games of 2010.

TheExodu5 said:
I would, but $21 is certainly not an impulse buy. If they made it $10, I'd bite.

Find a 6 pack in the other thread. Make sure the host is from the UK. I got it for $12 because it's 45GBP at the UK store.

Stallion Free said:
Shoulda played on hard. It's a good challenge without ever feeling unfair.

Realism is the only way to play. Deniable Ops mode makes for a ton of replay value. You can do missions a year from now if you get the knack to give the ol engine a run through. It's really packed with content outside of the campaign.

Cruzader

Banned
GDJustin said:

If I bought the pack I wouldn't feel cheated though, because I have Droplitz and Shatter on consoles. So all I really need to figure out is if the above two are worth 5 bones...
Anyway you could gift me Shatter by any chance if you won't use it? Not sure that's possible but If you can and won't play it :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Cruzader said:
Anyway you could gift me Shatter by any chance if you won't use it? Not sure that's possible but If you can and won't play it :)

I would if I could, but I'm 99% certain steam doesn't work that way. When you buy something, at the point of purchase you either say it is for yourself, or it is a gift for someone else. So I had to say the indie pack was for me, to get the two games I wanted. This means the three PC-only titles are also tied to my account.

Sorry duder.

The puzzle pack is *easily* worth $5 for Droplitz and Shatter alone, though. Buy it if you can!

Cruzader

Banned
GDJustin said:
I would if I could, but I'm 99% certain steam doesn't work that way. When you buy something, at the point of purchase you either say it is for yourself, or it is a gift for someone else. So I had to say the indie pack was for me, to get the two games I wanted. This means the three PC-only titles are also tied to my account.

Sorry duder.

The puzzle pack is *easily* worth $5 for Droplitz and Shatter alone, though. Buy it if you can!
Ah it's all good. Yea I may consider it. Sweet collection for sho.

Joe Molotov

This should probably be posted at the top of every page during Steam sales:

Extra copies are not given in most cases.
Only titles purchased in special promotions as outlined below are eligible for giftable extra copies

Extra copies will only be issued as a special promotion in the following cases:

1. Users who own "Left 4 Dead" and then go on to purchase "Left 4 Dead + Left 4 Dead 2 Bundle" will receive an extra copy of "Left 4 Dead"
2. Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.
3. Users who own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”, “Valve Complete Pack” or “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2: Episode One”.
4. Users who own "Dawn of War II" and then go on to purchase "Dawn of War II Gold Edition" will receive an extra copy of "Dawn of War II"
5. Users who own "Titan Quest" and/or "Immortal Throne" and go on to pre-purchase "Darksiders" will receive an extra copy of "Titan Quest" and/or "Immortal Throne"
6. Users who purchase the available four packs for specific Steam titles will receive three extra copies of that title to gift to friends.

These special promotions will allow you to send a gift pass for your extra copy to a friend who does not already own the game.

Danj

Blizzard said:
Because I'm too lazy/busy to install Windows 7, because I had a bunch of stuff installed that I didn't care to reinstall (which is not so much the case now), and because I'm still in the middle of developing a couple of kernel drivers and I want to get that effort to a good stopping point before I change OSes. I have enough stuff to figure out as it is.

As long as your copy of Windows 7 has the same "bitness" and is an equivalent or better "edition" to your installed copy of Windows Vista, you can actually do an in-place upgrade. Assuming it's a retail copy and not OEM of course, pretty sure you'll have to do a clean install with OEM copies.

I know this works, because right now I am typing this on a system that was upgraded from Vista Business x64 to Windows 7 Professional x64.

Yasae

Banned
Weenerz said:
Splinter Cell Conviction a $20 is still a bit too high imo. Darn.
Indeed. The DRM is garbage and it should be at $9.99 or $14.99, but I went ahead and got it. I'm not bothered or surprised by its gameplay conventions.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Joe Molotov said:
This should probably be posted at the top of every page during Steam sales:

Extra copies are not given in most cases.
Only titles purchased in special promotions as outlined below are eligible for giftable extra copies

Extra copies will only be issued as a special promotion in the following cases:

1. Users who own "Left 4 Dead" and then go on to purchase "Left 4 Dead + Left 4 Dead 2 Bundle" will receive an extra copy of "Left 4 Dead"
2. Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.
3. Users who own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”, “Valve Complete Pack” or “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2: Episode One”.
4. Users who own "Dawn of War II" and then go on to purchase "Dawn of War II Gold Edition" will receive an extra copy of "Dawn of War II"
5. Users who own "Titan Quest" and/or "Immortal Throne" and go on to pre-purchase "Darksiders" will receive an extra copy of "Titan Quest" and/or "Immortal Throne"
6. Users who purchase the available four packs for specific Steam titles will receive three extra copies of that title to gift to friends.

These special promotions will allow you to send a gift pass for your extra copy to a friend who does not already own the game.
Uh, I rather not have every steam tread mucked up with that posted.

confused

Banned
Drkirby said:
Uh, I rather not have every steam tread mucked up with that posted.

Would save about 50 stupid questions per thread though. I say go for it. Needs an addendum though : Unless specifically noted on the game page, the game is not giftable.

confused said:
Would save about 50 stupid questions per thread though. I say go for it. Needs an addendum though : Unless specifically noted on the game page, the game is not giftable.

Not like people even read the OP after the first page so not really.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yasae said:
Indeed. The DRM is garbage and it should be at $9.99 or $14.99, but I went ahead and got it. I'm not bothered or surprised by its gameplay conventions.
Splinter Cell Conviction was a tough decision at $1 because of the DRM. I finally caved in but I was glad when I found out that it was a price mistake and not a sale.

sturmdogg

Jumped on the musical indie pack yesterday and the Orange Box sale today.

How long are they going to be doing this sale for? I'm hoping they put up the Bethesda pack up for $10 :D

sturmdogg said:
Jumped on the musical indie pack yesterday and the Orange Box sale today.

How long are they going to be doing this sale for? I'm hoping they put up the Bethesda pack up for $10 :D
There's one more daily sale after the current one, and then the holiday sale will be in late December.

Nickiepoo

The much-ignored Tidalis (in the puzzle pack) is actually a great little puzzle game with some relatively deep mechanics for the genre. Pretty much the best 'colour matcher' I've ever played.

Simple version is that you use blocks to fire 'streams' which will link blocks of the same colour if they get hit by the stream, at which point it will bounce off in another direction depending on which way you've set the arrow on that block. Link 3+ and they will vanish and any blocks dropped from above them will also fire streams, allowing you to set up combos by planning in advance.
Various rules will add special blocks or change the way streams behave making for quite an adaptable game.

Also has online coop/competitive modes available.

Shaneus

Schmattakopf said:
There's one more daily sale after the current one, and then the holiday sale will be in late December.
*shudder*

Not looking forward to that... at all. I remember the last lengthy (compared to the current) sale. Not sleeping, checking my phone whenever I woke up as a genuine reflex action, so tired but... BARGAINS!

Seriously, I don't know how the fuck Valve do it, but they have me hook, line and sinker. The Steam client is my Minecraft :(

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone else feel this thread should be temporarily closed, during a Steam Sale which has its own dedicated thread?

K.Jack said:
Anyone else feel this thread should be temporarily closed, during a Steam Sale which has its own dedicated thread?
Why? I feel like one of the reasons for the sale thread is to keep this thread usable during the sale.

Aon

kamspy said:

I have been mad arguing this for the last while. Soundtrack is also pretty sweet.

Leatherface

So I got "SHATTER" for steam as part of the indie pack I bought yesterday. I can't launch the game though!! it crashes almost immediately. I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64bit btw. It's the only game I own that will not run as far as I can tell. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

Leatherface said:
So I got "SHATTER" for steam as part of the indie pack I bought yesterday. I can't launch the game though!! it crashes almost immediately. I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64bit btw. It's the only game I own that will not run as far as I can tell. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.
Tried re-downloading it?

epmode

kamspy said:

It's not as bad as limited activation DRM
Stop perpetuating this lie, GAF.

With limited installs, I only have to hope that someone is minding the store when i run out of activations. A live internet connection means that I'm dependent on the servers not just existing but being up ALL THE TIME. And as someone else mentioned, it's especially awesome when the game stops working because another popular game is released with the same DRM since the authentication servers are offline.

I will never buy anything with this DRM. ..unless it 90% off or something.
Leatherface said:
So I got "SHATTER" for steam as part of the indie pack I bought yesterday. I can't launch the game though!! it crashes almost immediately. I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64bit btw. It's the only game I own that will not run as far as I can tell. Anyone else having this problem?
Shatter works on my Win 7 64 system so we're probably going to need more information. Error message? Computer specs?

And yeah, you should try validating the install. Right-click the game in your Steam list.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Leatherface said:
thirded for re-download. Actually played it last night after downloading it right away. Win7 x64 Ultimate here as well.

Amneisac

Shatter crashes:

Check your keyboard or other joysticks/input devices you might have plugged up. My saitek keyboard killed it and I had to do some workarounds to get shatter to launch.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
GDJustin said:
Apparently all the games in the puzzle pack are amazing. I had Tidalis and Cogs before the sale and they are both awesome, and Puzzle Dimension has gotten a lot of love on here as well.

So... this is probably the best $5 you could spend on PC games currently. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom