• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
lordy88 said:
Unfortunately not. :-(. They made it clear in the purchase that I wouldn't be getting another copy of Portal. Otherwise, I would totally be in the "FREE to a good home" thread.
Huh, I thought Valve games gave you a gift copy when you buy packs. Maybe they only do that for full price purchases.

stuminus3 said:
Holy moley, Gridrunner Revolution is fantastic. Best light shows in the business. I'll probably get my money's worth out of all the Indie packs put together with this one game.

Why doesn't Jeff Minter get more love around here but everyone goes nuts when Tetsuya Mizuguchi scratches his butt or picks his nose? Is it because hates Frogger? Cos he's right, you know!

Jeff Minter is too hardcore for GAF, I think. The only obscure/hardcore thing GAF wants to talk about is JRPGs and other Japanese. In terms of western indie / pc indie its all lol land, and console COD/Madden/Gran turismo heaven!

:(

Blizzard

Banned
Random side note. If anyone remembers me complaining a while back about how long Steam took to load...I finally got sick of Vista's hard disk grinding and disabled the SuperFetch prefetch thing. I think Windows, and Steam, launch quite quickly and quietly now, overall. It's so nice not to have Vista slowly grind 2GB of random hard disk files into my memory, only to have to remove it again so I can actually do anything. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
Random side note. If anyone remembers me complaining a while back about how long Steam took to load...I finally got sick of Vista's hard disk grinding and disabled the SuperFetch prefetch thing. I think Windows, and Steam, launch quite quickly and quietly now, overall. It's so nice not to have Vista slowly grind 2GB of random hard disk files into my memory, only to have to remove it again so I can actually do anything. :lol
Why are you still using Vista?

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Why are you still using Vista?
Because I'm too lazy/busy to install Windows 7, because I had a bunch of stuff installed that I didn't care to reinstall (which is not so much the case now), and because I'm still in the middle of developing a couple of kernel drivers and I want to get that effort to a good stopping point before I change OSes. I have enough stuff to figure out as it is.

I thought someone else would say it first, but this is the worst discount week ever. There were a few good games but I saw audio surf on sale before it was bundled into the indie pack, and bit trip beat on sale after it was. This is disappointing. It makes me wonder if the Christmas sale will be any good.

Still, it didn't keep me from picking up two of the indie packs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anslon said:
I thought someone else would say it first, but this is the worst discount week ever. There were a few good games but I saw audio surf on sale before it was bundled into the indie pack, and bit trip beat on sale after it was. This is disappointing. It makes me wonder if the Christmas sale will be any good.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Anslon said:

Damn, talk about high standards.

Wizpig

Some dumb (dumb) questions, but please answer me anyways:

1- I got a free Steam game (Peggle) on a Win PC, but it doesn't show up in my Steam Library on other computers... is this because it's free, and you need to install it every time?

2- You know how you can link other non-Steam apps in Steam? isn't there a way to instantly divide actual Steam apps from non-Steam apps in the Library? if not, how can i tell for sure if a certain game is Steam or non-Steam?

Wizpig said:
Some dumb (dumb) questions, but please answer me anyways:
2- You know how you can link other non-Steam apps in Steam? isn't there a way to instantly divide actual Steam apps from non-Steam apps in the Library? if not, how can i tell for sure if a certain game is Steam or non-Steam?

In list view, sort them by status.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
1) Is it Peggle Extreme (the game free to everyone with Steam)? Free-for-everyone games don't show up as "owned" and won't be on your list if you uninstall or log into your account from another computer. To install on another computer, just search for the game and install it from the store page.

2) I don't think there is an easy way to automatically divide your list into Steam/Non-Steam categories. The easiest way to know which is which is to right click, select properties, and see where the shortcut points. If it's a Steam game it won't even tell you where it is located; non-steam games will give you a file path (something like C:/Program Files/Rapelay/game.exe).

Edit: Oops, looks like I was wrong on the second part.

Ihya said:
I want to love Mount and Blade but the demo left me feeling the combat lacked any and all visceral action.

I saw all the love for M&B so I tried out the demo some time back and hated it. Controls felt very clunky and performance was lackluster for what was happening on screen. Therefore I've never given the game another look.

Wizpig said:
1- I got a free Steam game (Peggle) on a Win PC, but it doesn't show up in my Steam Library on other computers... is this because it's free, and you need to install it every time?

Are you sure the Peggle was a STEAM game? I think PopCap gave the game away before but that would have been a download through them, not Steam.

EDIT - Or it's the free Peggle Extreme demo/game.

As for telling which games are Non-Steam in the Library, it's pretty obvious if you are using the list or grid views as those games don't have pretty icons in the right shape that match the others.

Anslon said:

Honestly this has been an awesome sale IMO. The Indie packs are simply fantastic. Throw in the mega packs for some of the best games of this past year and beyond and its great. If this was a disappointing sale for you then I don't even know what to say.

LovingSteam said:
The Indie packs are simply fantastic.

A sale week where they did nothing but the six indie packs would've already been fantastic. Anyone could've started owning zero PC games at the beginning of this week, spent $30 on the indie bundles, and wound up with an incredible library of diverse and awesome indie games at the end of it.

Of course, for anyone who's been diligently purchasing all these games for $5-20 each for years, it's not quite as exciting. :lol

charlequin said:
A sale week where they did nothing but the six indie packs would've already been fantastic. Anyone could've started owning zero PC games at the beginning of this week, spent $30 on the indie bundles, and wound up with an incredible library of diverse and awesome indie games at the end of it.

Of course, for anyone who's been diligently purchasing all these games for $5-20 each for years, it's not quite as exciting. :lol

True :(

Will Steam check my debit card to see if I have enough? I got lazy with keeping track, but I should have anywhere from $30-50. My bank's not listed on the Visa site, either, so I can't check. And it's Sunday so I can't add any money to the account. :\

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Mr Sandman said:
Will Steam check my debit card to see if I have enough? I got lazy with keeping track, but I should have anywhere from $30-50. My bank's not listed on the Visa site, either, so I can't check. And it's Sunday so I can't add any money to the account. :\
You'll go into the negative, get a NSF fee from your bank and feel like a chump, paying more in a fee than you did saving on a deal.

John

Anslon said:

i hate this sale! i only got ten games! D:<

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mr Sandman said:
I don't think they do. In fact, some people have bought things over the course of a holiday sale when they had the money, but Valve waited several days it ended to pull all the purchases at once, causing them to overdraft.

My advice is to get overdraft protection through your bank using a savings account and make heavy use of the Steam wallet feature.

Anslon said:

LOL!

You're comparing what we're getting to the store-wide Christmas sale from last year rather than the very similar Thanksgiving sale from last year, so shut up. The indie packs and crazy discounts in the multi-pack deals already make this year much better than last year's sale.

SapientWolf said:
I don't think they do. In fact, some people have bought things over the course of a holiday sale when they had the money, but Valve waited several days it ended to pull all the purchases at once, causing them to overdraft.

My advice is to get overdraft protection through your bank using a savings account and make heavy use of the Steam wallet feature.
Lyphen said:
You'll go into the negative, get a NSF fee from your bank and feel like a chump, paying more in a fee than you did saving on a deal.
Thanks. Better safe than sorry! EDIT: I do think mine has some kind of overdraft protection and it will pull some from my savings account, but yeah I'd rather not do that.

^I've been hit with an overdraft fee once because of Steam sales. :lol I went into my bank and explained the mistake and they were cool enough to reverse the fee. Some places let you overdraft without a fee once every six months or so.
SapientWolf said:
Bit.Trip Beat for $4.99 is kind of insulting. It was in a $5 indie pack yesterday.
Real fun game though. I was surprised at how much better it is with a mouse.

And playing in higher-res may seem dumb considering the art style but it makes it look real clean.

Najaf

Jumped in for the Orange Box at $7.50

Should I play the original Half Life first, or jump into 2 or wait for Black Mesa?

1-D_FTW

Najaf said:
Jumped in for the Orange Box at $7.50

Should I play the original Half Life first, or jump into 2 or wait for Black Mesa?

:lol That's so cute.

vocab said:
Play original. Black Mesa is a pipe dream.

Listen to this man.

Speaking of which, we're due for our yearly bump on the Black Mesa project. I say it happens within the next 30 days (bump that is).

IceMarker

I love this Give & Get sale only because all the games I want I already bought at a previous Steam sale means for the first time ever I may actually NOT buy something from a Steam sale! :lol :D

Tokubetsu

Launched bit trip beat five times, made it to the main menu once. Had to quit because it wouldn't detect my 360 pad. Am I the only one experiencing problems?

1-D_FTW

Tokubetsu said:
Launched bit trip beat five times, made it to the main menu once. Had to quit because it wouldn't detect my 360 pad. Am I the only one experiencing problems?

Just worked for me. You have to go into the control section and check the controller box though. After that, my 360 wireless pad worked perfect. Even rumbled nicely in beat to the tunes (don't remember that on the Wii demo). Not sure you'd want to play with the controller though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom