• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!

I uninstalled Steam, now when reinstalled, it gets stuck on "Updating Steam" on 0% and won't progress. I've tried deleting the blob file, checked router settings, uninstalled, deleted registries, reinstalled... still the same problem.

I don't know what else to do. :(

dani_dc

Super Meat boy should be up in around 9 hours if the store page is to be believed :D
lastplayed said:
Help!

I uninstalled Steam, now when reinstalled, it gets stuck on "Updating Steam" on 0% and won't progress. I've tried deleting the blob file, checked router settings, uninstalled, deleted registries, reinstalled... still the same problem.

I don't know what else to do. :(
Tried booting steam with the internet connection turned off?

derFeef

lastplayed said:
It says I need to be connected to the internet to start the application.
Maybe you got a antivir/firewall programm that now blocks the Steam executable because of the version change?

derFeef said:
Maybe you got a antivir/firewall programm that now blocks the Steam executable because of the version change?

I've disabled all spyware/AV and firewalls, now it slowly gets to 19% then just stops. I guess I'll leave it on overnight to see if it progresses.

edit - I guess not, it just closed itself. Fucking hell. >_<

deleted

So I thought: Heck, I'll end this sale with buying Super Meat Boy, Said and done, bought it, Steam says its updating my licenses, what it never did before and gets stuck in that screen. Closed the update window, SMB isn't there. NP I thought and closed steam to restart it.
Gets stuck in: Connecting to account window... NP I thought, I'll delete the clientregistry.blob and restart: Done, gets stuck in: Connecting to account window. NP I thought and opened steam on my netbook to see if starts there - Gets stuck in: Connecting to account window

Ohoh, is something wrong with my account? Friend of mine is online and has no problem, so its no steam-downtime or something. It doesn't even ask me to start offline, it just gets stuck.
The confirmation Mail for SMB came through at least, so its bought I guess.

Nabs

Drkirby said:
Its just a Map pack with no Single player? Pass :/
new maps, music and weapons. plus they added 4 free maps (to be unlocked this week?). a lot of good content for bc2 this month.

Blizzard said:
At least try going back to an earlier Catalyst driver version. I think some version of 10.10 has been giving me the occasional driver crashes (with Flash in a web browser?) to solid pink or red screens, and I'd never had trouble with that before. I think I've heard of other people having the same thing happen to them.

I've been having the same problem. Which browser are you using? I use Chrome and ever since I've been having the driver crashes on my Desktop, I've also been having flash simply crashing on my laptop (with an nvidia card). I don't have driver crashes on the laptop but flash crashes just as frequently. I've just started using Chrome and it's been surprisingly buggy. I think it's obvious that the Catalyst driver just doesn't handle the flash crashes as gracefully as Nvidia's drivers.

Blizzard said:
It was literally like TWO MINUTES after I made that last post that my ATI drivers crashed to a pink screen, and then recovered, while I was playing a YouTube video in the background. :mad:

Turn off hardware acceleration for flash video player, it's been a source of video driver crashes for a while now.

I've had it cause a blue screen that wiped my ipod while it was synching

Salaadin

Blizzard said:
At least try going back to an earlier Catalyst driver version. I think some version of 10.10 has been giving me the occasional driver crashes (with Flash in a web browser?) to solid pink or red screens, and I'd never had trouble with that before. I think I've heard of other people having the same thing happen to them.

I shouldve googled this last night but I found a link this morning to the AMD forums with a bunch of others complaining about similar issues as mine. It sounds like its the 10.10s and 10.11s causing it. As usual, AMD is silent.

The issues in the thread detail it mostly being with the HD6850 though and Im using the HD5850. Id like to post this but I think Im banned from AMDs forums...from this PC at least.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=142284

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, does anyone know how I can get the copy of Steam I have installed on my Portable Hard Drive to update the catagorzation of my games?

Prodigal

Banned
Anyone having trouble connecting to Steam? I've been wrestling with it for a while trying to download JC2...just says No Connection

owlbeak

I bought AvP a little bit ago, and when I went to install it a pop up that said "Scanning for Steam licenses update..." came up and stayed forever. I canceled it, exited Steam and restarted it. Now it doesn't show that I purchased the game at all, yet it shows on my bank statement. WTF?

OMG Aero

Prodigal said:
Anyone having trouble connecting to Steam? I've been wrestling with it for a while trying to download JC2...just says No Connection
I'm having trouble with it too. I'm trying to buy Super Meat Boy before it comes out but it keeps giving me an error when I enter my details. Then I tried restarting Steam and it wouldn't open at all.

Geoff9920

toasty_T said:
Turn off hardware acceleration for flash video player, it's been a source of video driver crashes for a while now.

I've had it cause a blue screen that wiped my ipod while it was synching
I've had the same driver crashes for the past several driver revisions, turning off hardware acceleration fixed the issue for me (did this several weeks ago). Haven't had any driver crashes since.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking at what games support steam cloud at the moment, I find it odd Monkey Island 2 has support but not Monkey Island 1.

Also, possible fix, how about changing your download server for the mean time? I am having no problems on the Miami server, just downloaded serveral games.

Double D

Just grabbed Metro. I was doing some cleaning up of my PC and realized that (I think) I have a pretty powerful machine. I think if I update my video card I should be able to run some stuff at pretty great settings. If anyone could critique my setup I'd appreciate it.

Processor: Q9300 Quad Core @2.5Ghz
Graphics Card: 8800GT (Was looking at maybe a GTX 450 as an upgrade)
Ram: 4GBDDR2

Mareg

Vik_Vaughn said:
Just grabbed Metro. I was doing some cleaning up of my PC and realized that (I think) I have a pretty powerful machine. I think if I update my video card I should be able to run some stuff at pretty great settings. If anyone could critique my setup I'd appreciate it.

Processor: Q9300 Quad Core @2.5Ghz
Graphics Card: 8800GT (Was looking at maybe a GTX 450 as an upgrade)
Ram: 4GBDDR2

Hmmm, depending on your screen resolution, you might find it hard to run at decent frame rate. You will have to tweak the graphical options a lot to make it playable.

Oh and if you are looking to upgrade the 8800GT, I would go at least for a GTX 460 1gig.

Luigi87

Yasser said:
is steam borked for anyone else right now? been trying to connect for a while now

Working fine for me.
I even closed and re-connected to make certain.

EDIT: Okay, while I am on Steam, Steam Community is now not connecting for me <.<

Forkball

It's still borked for me.

Anyways, I've played Puzzle Agent, Gish, and And Yet it Moves in the Indie Story Pack so far (saving Reccettear for later because I know I won't want to stop). Puzzle Agent is a really fun adventure game with good art and voice acting. The story seems interesting so far, kind of a mix between Fargo and Twin Peaks. The puzzles can sometimes be a bit too vague at times though. Gish is sort of unplayable for me. I hate the controls, and a platformer where it is a pain in the ass to jump is not my cup of tea. And Yet it Moves has a good concept and I wonder how the more complex physic puzzles will play out. Everything on the map looks the same though, it's easy to get lost.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else has problems connecting to Steam/Steam Cloud when playing Bit.Trip?

edit: Yeah, I really should read before posting :D sorry, guys.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Played some Beat Hazard and Chime, both were fun but nothing to great. I think I'll try playing with Beat Hazard some more when I am at home and have my full music library with me, but I do like the concept. Just a bit hard to see some small enemies when a ton of effects are going off, but I do find it cool that the power of your shots seems to be dependent on the current tempo of the song (Or it could just be the volume of the song, not quite sure which aspect it is checking).

Chime has a pretty fun game play, and is decently chalenging to get 100% on the board in 3 minutes, but I find most of the songs mediocre. I only was really fond of the added song from Portal. The game also does not seem like it would control that well on the Xbox 360, and I am pretty sure it came out on XBLA first.

stuminus3

Drkirby said:
Played some Beat Hazard and Chime, both were fun but nothing to great.
I played Beat Hazard to "Waterloo" by ABBA. It was totally surreal. And awesome. I'm pretty sure a spectacular light show of lasers and exploding spaceships wasn't what Björn and Benny had in mind when they wrote it though.

Jo-El

Nickiepoo said:
Yeah, Puzzle Agent seems like Layton done right.
If the puzzles were better I would agree. The presentation is fantastic and the story was surprisingly pretty great. It's easily my favourite Telltale game. I'd like to see a sequel that continues the story but has puzzles that are a little less vague.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Like I said, I think that game could improve in my eyes when I am at home with my music library. I just downloaded a few songs to try it out with.

Also, no one has answered yet, how do I get it so the catagorazation of my games on steam is the same across computers? Right now the one install on my portable hard drive has my old catagorazation.

I decided to buy Knights of the Old Republic just a few minutes ago, and I got Monkey Island 2 SE last night. This past month has been insane for digital distribution deals. From October 31 to now, I've picked up:

FEAR 2
GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas
The Witcher
Bioshock
Splosion Man
Monkey Island 2 SE
KOTOR
Age of Empires 3 Complete
Half-Life 2
all for only about $28.

Nabs

Yeah, Beat Hazard is better on a nicer display as well. I'm glad there's good 360 pad support, because I could not sit in front of the screen for an extended period of time.

Chime is really fun. I can't believe I have 11 hrs in there.

Mr_Zombie

Beat Hazard is the first game I've played where warning about epilepsy is completely justified :lol
There're so many things going on there, so many different lights... and it's awesome :D

Zachack

Drkirby said:
Chime has a pretty fun game play, and is decently chalenging to get 100% on the board in 3 minutes, but I find most of the songs mediocre. I only was really fond of the added song from Portal. The game also does not seem like it would control that well on the Xbox 360, and I am pretty sure it came out on XBLA first.
I never had a problem with the 360 pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom