• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard said:
Today's sales are pretty nice. Lara Craft $7.50, finally with online co-op (though I already had bought it of course). L4D2 $5 is good for those who don't have it. The rhythm game pack is a good price but I'm passing for now. Even $15 for COD4 doesn't seem like a terrible price.

I was almost tempted by Wings of Prey, but it's $15 with $15 DLC. :p *checks again* Wait, also a 3-machine activation limit from some "FrontLine ProActive" third-party DRM. I'll pass for now, thanks.

1C are my heroes for not only putting up the King's Bounty package, but also putting the INDIVIDUAL GAMES on sale. I was like, I have to buy the whole package to just get the sale on Crossworlds? But then I realized that Crossworlds is individually $5.

I need an opinion on Supreme Commander 2! I've never played one of those games, so I'd just like to know if it's a good/great game, or if it falls in the "not worth $4" camp. :p Also, is it worth it even if I don't get the $10 DLC for a bunch of new maps and units that's not on sale?

I understand how you feel about the DRM but my belief is if you want to play it, buy it. There is always a way around the DRM if need be.

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I understand how you feel about the DRM but my belief is if you want to play it, buy it. There is always a way around the DRM if need be.
And you can certainly hold the belief. My own preference is that by not buying it, even if it's a super tiny contribution, it's my way of speaking my preference to the company/publisher about the DRM.

Like voting, it doesn't make a different if just one person did it, but if everyone had that attitude then maybe you'd have a lot of people not voting.

Also, I don't pirate games or download cracks for them (I don't want to operate even in a legally gray area if possible) so that's a no-go for me.

Valru said:
I hate how I can't buy a second 10 pack of NyxQuest. Yes I know I already own 11 copies but I want to give away even more!

TAKE MY MONEY VALVE
This post should be linked to whenever anyone claims that it's their first Steam sale. A preview of things to come, if you will. :lol

lordy88

God dammit Steam. I told myself I wouldn't do it...

King's Bounty: Crossworld for $5.00? Bought.
Left For Dead 2 for $5.00? Bought.
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for $7.49? Bought.

Meh, pretty solid $17.49. Better than a night at a bar. Feels better in the morning too...maybe.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Blizzard said:
And you can certainly hold the belief. My own preference is that by not buying it, even if it's a super tiny contribution, it's my way of speaking my preference to the company/publisher about the DRM.

Like voting, it doesn't make a different if just one person did it, but if everyone had that attitude then maybe you'd have a lot of people not voting.
I'm with you, hombre. Kind of similar to _tetsuo_'s desires, I actually bought Dawn of Discovery on the Wii because I didn't want anything to do with TAGES (Wii version is actually a pretty stellar game too).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
Also, I don't pirate games or download cracks for them (I don't want to operate even in a legally gray area if possible) so that's a no-go for me.
They are always watching. They see everything you do.

Blizzard said:

I understand. I am not faulting u for feeling that way, just stating my view. IMO, I already bought the game legally and therefore, if the time came when I needed to use a crack, I have no guilt doing so. Its why I bought AC2 on Steam.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lyphen said:
I'm with you, hombre. Kind of similar to _tetsuo_'s desires, I actually bought Dawn of Discovery on the Wii because I didn't want anything to do with TAGES (Wii version is actually a pretty stellar game too).

Holy shit Dawn of Discovery has TAGES? God damnit.

Blizzard said:
I understand that pirating is illegal/in a legally grey area/whatever, but how can it be illegal to avoid the DRM?

vocab

_tetsuo_ said:
Holy shit Dawn of Discovery has TAGES? God damnit.

Cmon, you bought Risen, you should be alright with that!

Honestly, if DoD gold goes on sale for less than $10, I'm cracking it.

stuminus3 said:

That's all I needed. Bought.

Blizzard said:
Well now that it's too late for you to change your mind...

Yes. It's quite good, in fact. And fortunately so, otherwise people might have been even more annoyed that it took so long to add the advertised co-op feature.

For 7.50, it was barely going to take a nudge to push me off the fence.

Blizzard

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
That's all I needed. Bought.
Well now that it's too late for you to change your mind...

Yes. It's quite good, in fact. And fortunately so, otherwise people might have been even more annoyed that it took so long to add the advertised co-op feature.

Does anyone else think the sales have been pretty tame so far? I have a funny feeling in the back of my head that I am about to get raped by Steam at the end of the year for some reason with an even bigger discount week.

Blizzard

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:
Does anyone else think the sales have been pretty tame so far? I have a funny feeling in the back of my head that I am about to get raped by Steam at the end of the year for some reason with an even bigger discount week.
I'm getting to the point where it took me a while to even think up 10 games to put on my wishlist (and then I bought one of them so I had to pick another one). There just isn't a lot that comes to mind that I am dying to buy once it goes on sale, unless I'm just forgetting it.

So basically...I guess I already own nearly every game in the world. :O

IrishNinja

yeah, AAA titles and such are gonna be christmas, no doubt...still, with these consistently good indie packs (unless you've already got the ones you wanted), i can't frown on this sale one bit, they're the highlight for me.

ZZMitch

Dang, Cod4 is so awesome. Makes me regret my purchase of Black Ops!

Only problem was it took me about an hour to get the game to work. My god Punkbuster is a piece of shit.

stuminus3

Holy moley, Gridrunner Revolution is fantastic. Best light shows in the business. I'll probably get my money's worth out of all the Indie packs put together with this one game.

Why doesn't Jeff Minter get more love around here but everyone goes nuts when Tetsuya Mizuguchi scratches his butt or picks his nose? Is it because hates Frogger? Cos he's right, you know!

TheExodu5

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Dang, Cod4 is so awesome. Makes me regret my purchase of Black Ops!

Only problem was it took me about an hour to get the game to work. My god Punkbuster is a piece of shit.

Punkbuster is indeed a piece of shit. Modern Warfare is certainly the best of the recent CoD games on PC though.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
IrishNinja said:
yeah, AAA titles and such are gonna be christmas, no doubt...still, with these consistently good indie packs (unless you've already got the ones you wanted), i can't frown on this sale one bit, they're the highlight for me.
I picked up Bit Trip Beat for five bucks and got three other games for free (I already had one of them). I mean, if that's not a steal I don't know what is.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Seriously considering gifting three of my friends L4D2...its five bucks each.

EDIT: JESUS CHRIST! Just tried to boot up the Polynomial. It hung on the "preparing to launch screen" so I let it sit for a bit. Browsing GAF when suddenly my laptop (on my lap) starts whirring like mad and heats to a temperature that could melt iron.

Trouble

Banned
You would have had me at $10, Splinter Cell: Conviction. Guess I'll wait for the holiday sale.

Fully Mac compatible Orange box for $7.50 is a steal. I don't understand why they aren't pimping that on the main Mac page.

how is splinter cell on pc now? i know when it launched it didnt run that well on pc? also is there an option to turn of the black and white when in cover?

Nabs

Kabuki Waq said:
how is splinter cell on pc now? i know when it launched it didnt run that well on pc? also is there an option to turn of the black and white when in cover?
runs great.

lordy88

Considering I have only purchased Portal, I couldn't resist swiping the orange box.

All 3 Half Life 2 (Plus the Lost coast) games AND TF2 for $7.50?!? Take my money Steam. TAKE IT NOW

Trouble

Banned
lordy88 said:
Considering I have only purchased Portal, I couldn't resist swiping the orange box.

All 3 Half Life 2 (Plus the Lost coast) games AND TF2 for $7.50?!? Take my money Steam. TAKE IT NOW
And now you have a copy of Portal to gift to someone. :D

lordy88

Trouble said:
And now you have a copy of Portal to gift to someone. :D

Unfortunately not. :-(. They made it clear in the purchase that I wouldn't be getting another copy of Portal. Otherwise, I would totally be in the "FREE to a good home" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom