• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

BobsRevenge said:
Apparently all the games in the puzzle pack are amazing. I had Tidalis and Cogs before the sale and they are both awesome, and Puzzle Dimension has gotten a lot of love on here as well.

So... this is probably the best $5 you could spend on PC games currently. :lol

You made me look at the videos for those games. 4 more games (bought Shatter for 2.00) I didn't need.:lol

pirata

BobsRevenge said:
Apparently all the games in the puzzle pack are amazing. I had Tidalis and Cogs before the sale and they are both awesome, and Puzzle Dimension has gotten a lot of love on here as well.

So... this is probably the best $5 you could spend on PC games currently. :lol

Damn it, you just made me give Steam another five dollars.

Leatherface

Amneisac said:
Shatter crashes:

Check your keyboard or other joysticks/input devices you might have plugged up. My saitek keyboard killed it and I had to do some workarounds to get shatter to launch.

I use to have a Saitek keyboard, gave me all sorts of issues with Trackmania. I did just replace my keyboard/mouse with a Logitech wireless set. hrmm.

As for my hardware:

ASRock X58 (Motherboard)
Core i7-920 (Processor)
Nvidia GX275 (Video Card)
OCZ Gold 6GB (Memory)

epmode said:
Stop perpetuating this lie, GAF.

With limited installs, I only have to hope that someone is minding the store when i run out of activations. A live internet connection means that I'm dependent on the servers not just existing but being up ALL THE TIME. And as someone else mentioned, it's especially awesome when the game stops working because another popular game is released with the same DRM since the authentication servers are offline.

I will never buy anything with this DRM. ..unless it 90% off or something.Shatter works on my Win 7 64 system so we're probably going to need more information. Error message? Computer specs?

And yeah, you should try validating the install. Right-click the game in your Steam list.
It's not a lie. It's an opinion.

Salaadin

Any reason why Steam randomly trashed all of my non-Steam shortcuts? I had Another World and Minecraft in there and noticed they were gone this weekend.

Volcynika

Well the only DRM I have personally had issues with is Ubi's when playing Conviction. My wireless went wonky for a week or so (now that I'm on wired after getting to a new apartment it's not prevalent) I couldn't play the game peacefully at all. I learned to really hate that style of DRM.

Salaadin said:
Any reason why Steam randomly trashed all of my non-Steam shortcuts? I had Another World and Minecraft in there and noticed they were gone this weekend.

It's always been finicky for me. Usually it just forgets the category of some of the more recent ones I've added. Or adds duplicates. But yeah sometimes it'll erase them too...

Salaadin

HadesGigas said:
It's always been finicky for me. Usually it just forgets the category of some of the more recent ones I've added. Or adds duplicates. But yeah sometimes it'll erase them too...

I did recently switch from regular to beta so maybe thats what it did. I cant remember the day I did that vs the day the shortcuts disappeared but its a possibility.

I wouldnt mind them losing category...I just want them to be there and stay there

Dizzy-4U

What's the difference between "Dragon Age: Origins Deluxe CD Key" and "Dragon Age: Origins Deluxe GAME CD Key"?

I can use one of them to register the game in my bioware profile, but why are there two of them? The game never asked me the cd-key.

Wallach

Dizzy-4U said:
What's the difference between "Dragon Age: Origins Deluxe CD Key" and "Dragon Age: Origins Deluxe GAME CD Key"?

I can use one of them to register the game in my bioware profile, but why are there two of them? The game never asked me the cd-key.

I believe registering one on the Bioware site registers the core game and the other registers all of the DLC content (since it is still required to go through the EA account).

kamspy

epmode said:
Stop perpetuating this lie, GAF.

With limited installs, I only have to hope that someone is minding the store when i run out of activations.

I don't get your meaning. Are you saying the store is open for you to buy another copy? Sorry. I'd rather go with the UbiDRM than limited activations (the harsh ones that don't renew monthly).

John

kamspy said:
I don't get your meaning. Are you saying the store is open for you to buy another copy? Sorry. I'd rather go with the UbiDRM than limited activations (the harsh ones that don't renew monthly).
nah, he means that if you just call the comapny up and go "hey i want more installs" they'll just give you more

Stallion Free said:
But you will waste a good half hour in the process.

Or more. Also, just like with that type of DRM, with Ubi there are cracks if need be. Its why I am not concerned if Valve were to one day go bankrupt and Steam wasn't picked up by someone else. The PC community always makes a way.

IrishNinja

god, glad this is over, for me. damage wasn't too bad, i think around $50 tops? got a lot for it, though. :D

so, uh...when did the christmas sale start last year? excuse me whilst i go inquire about overtime shifts at work

Schmattakopf said:
If anyone on my friends list wants Lead & Gold, join a pack on the gift pack organization thread and I will pay for you.
You're a good man. More Lead & Gold players would definitely be nice. Someone take this man up on his offer!

Double D

So I'm a Steam idiot. Steam has an "Account Name" and a "Profile Name". Which one do I give someone who is trying to gift something to me?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
From what I've heard, they both have their faults. Honestly, flip a coin.

I haven't played Metro 2033, but I know I had a good bit of fun in AvP (I did feel ripped off at 35$ though, the voice acting and marine campaign are bad).

epmode

LovingSteam said:
It's not a lie. It's an opinion.
...I know, I'm being SASSY.
Stallion Free said:
But you will waste a good half hour in the process.
Both DRM schemes are insulting and horrible but if it's a toss up between waiting a few hours after installing or hoping that the authentication servers are up 100% of the time, I'll take limited activations every single time.

A real solution is to develop worthwhile community features where you feel like you're missing out if you're offline. Even though I almost never play Trackmania with others, I still wouldn't want to play it offline. Best DRM around!

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I keep getting this error when trying to buy Metro 2033. :(

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Update: Nevermind FIXED! address details had a mistake. :p

Will I be able to run Metro 2033 at 1080p with a solid frame rate and decent settings? Nothing is overclocked.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 (4 CPUs)
ATI Radeon HD 4890
4 gigs of ram

Salaadin

Why isnt Crysis working for me all of a sudden? I boot it up and then it just hangs a black screen. I cant alt tab out or get task manager to shut it down. I have to reboot or log off.

Fredescu

Poohblaster said:
Will I be able to run Metro 2033 at 1080p with a solid frame rate and decent settings? Nothing is overclocked.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 (4 CPUs)
ATI Radeon HD 4890
4 gigs of ram
Yeah, I ran it on a 4890. You might have to tinker a bit to get settings that work for you, but you're not going to have to turn it down to ghastly looking levels or anything.

Salaadin

Ok, I narrowed my issue down some. I can run Crysis in dx9 mode but the moment I remove -dx9 from launch options, it hangs at a black screen before ever loading. The only change since I last played Crysis is the drivers being updated to Catalyst 10.10e. COuld this be causing the problem?

Ive tried updating directx and replacing cryAction.dll and verifying the game cache. Nothing works. Anyone have any ideas?

Blizzard

Banned
Salaadin said:
Ok, I narrowed my issue down some. I can run Crysis in dx9 mode but the moment I remove -dx9 from launch options, it hangs at a black screen before ever loading. The only change since I last played Crysis is the drivers being updated to Catalyst 10.10e. COuld this be causing the problem?

Ive tried updating directx and replacing cryAction.dll and verifying the game cache. Nothing works. Anyone have any ideas?
At least try going back to an earlier Catalyst driver version. I think some version of 10.10 has been giving me the occasional driver crashes (with Flash in a web browser?) to solid pink or red screens, and I'd never had trouble with that before. I think I've heard of other people having the same thing happen to them.

Blizzard

Banned
It was literally like TWO MINUTES after I made that last post that my ATI drivers crashed to a pink screen, and then recovered, while I was playing a YouTube video in the background. :mad:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Blizzard said:
I think some version of 10.10 has been giving me the occasional driver crashes (with Flash in a web browser?) to solid pink or red screens, and I'd never had trouble with that before. I think I've heard of other people having the same thing happen to them.

Yes, that's been happening to me with the current driver release too.

Shaneus

What happened to Steam updating the Radeon drivers? I received the one update then... nothing. Everything else has been manual.

LovingSteam said:
Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam will be added to the pre purchase offers soon.
I'm doubting it will work with the retail copy, will I have to buy it from EA's store? ugh.

Question: World of Goo's small amount of achievements is because the OCD challenge deals are pretty much achievements, right? Wonderful game, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom