• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtRiver

With over 40 hours in the original Mount & Blade, I guess I have to buy Warband at that price.

But that's it, no more games until I beat DoW2, Borderlands, Red Faction Guerrilla, the original Left 4 Dead and Flatout: UC

.... yeah 'bout that...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dynoro said:
Has this disappeared for anyone else? I get no demo link anymore just a game page
It's on my store (Germany). Append ?cc=de to the URL. That setting gets stored in the cookie; switch back with ?cc=uk or ?cc=us or whatever.

Dynoro

wmat said:
It's on my store (Germany). Append ?cc=de to the URL. That setting gets stored in the cookie; switch back with ?cc=uk or ?cc=us or whatever.
Thanks; I'm getting the German store (USK logo and all) but no demo link - maybe there's a problem and they are pulling it

Nairume

Banned
thefil said:
Warband is >>>> the original Mount & Blade, or no?

Considering this.
Warband is pretty much a vastly improved version of the original M&B and includes multiplayer. There's virtually no reason to buy into the original unless you absolutely want to save a couple bucks and/or you really want to play the mods that aren't compatible with Warband.

thefil

Nairume said:
Warband is pretty much a vastly improved version of the original M&B and includes multiplayer. There's virtually no reason to buy into the original unless you absolutely want to save a couple bucks and/or you really want to play the mods that aren't compatible with Warband.

Thanks. Now I just have to convince myself I actually need this when I have 284,798 other games.

Zachack

thefil said:
Thanks. Now I just have to convince myself I actually need this when I have 284,798 other games.
That's what I thought before I installed it and a few weeks later my playtime is over 12 hours and I'm nowhere near done with it. It's a lot of fun. I'd say the only real problem is that it's pretty unforgiving in the beginning and you have to learn by doing (which can be annoying at times). There are entire game concepts that I haven't encountered yet.

Nairume

Banned
thefil said:
If you really like open world RPGs, you really need to get Warband. The game is ridiculously non-linear and you'd be hard pressed to repeat yourself on any given play through.

ZoddGutts said:
Might get Warband... how's the online aspect? Seen some videos and it looks interesting. Might be fun.
It's mostly round-based versus. You fight people/teams, earn money to buy better equipment, and try to have more points by the end of it. There's also a seige mode where one group defends a castle and the other group has to try to make their way in.

As is the normal game itself, the multiplayer side is also modable. One of the mods I play every now or then is the Invasion mod, which sets the players against a massive army of enemy NPCs. There are also mods that let you do a persistent world, effectively making a multiplayer version of the game's single player campaign.

Mount and Blade: Warband is in the top-teir of PC exclusives released this year. Get it or hand in your PC gaming card. :D

John said:
Any Warband mods I need to get?

There's nothing that you "need" I would say, there's plenty of mods that change the graphics and balance and add new shit, but the vanilla game is pretty great as it is.

Nairume

Banned
John said:
Any Warband mods I need to get?
TMB is right in that there aren't any mods that you need. This isn't Oblivion, after all. However, there are some mods that are worth picking up. The two I've been using in particular are Invasion, which is that mod I mentioned that adds a sort of horde mode option to the multiplayer side of the game, and 1257 AD, which is a total conversion to the single player campaign that replaces Calradia (the game's non-fantasy fictional setting) with a fairly accurate recreation of 13th century Europe (and parts of Asia and Africa).

Giant bomb also did a quick look of it. Seeing as how Plain Sight has stolen 8 hours from me this week, well, im going to have to pass on this for the moment :lol

Discotheque said:
Alright dawgs, D2D is offering a pre-school sale that is basically $10 off all purchases over $50.

All you have to do is enter "Schoolsucks" in the coupon code. Why post in this thread? Because Fallout: New Vegas, Brink and Civ 5 are all Steam-required games judging by their site. So basically you'll be buying and downloading the Steam version (or so I've heard).

Thanks! Looks like that settles the "Babylon" issue for me.

IMACOMPUTA

ARRGH I'm so broke!
but i've been waiting for a warband sale for what seems like forever..
I have the original and love it. Would love to try out the multiplayer, looks amazing.

What to do!?

(my birthday is coming up soon :D steam id: IMACOMPUTA)

Rubezh

Nairume said:

Does Warband include the campaign content from the original? The Steam Store says it's a "standalone expansion pack".

biocat

Rubezh said:
Does Warband include the campaign content from the original? The Steam Store says it's a "standalone expansion pack".

It pretty much is the original game with more content. No need to get both.

Joe Molotov

Picked up Puzzle Dimension. I'd been interested in it since I read a great review for it over at The AV Club, and so this seems like a good time to go for it.

Ettie

When you add a non-steam game to steam, it gives you the option to choose an icon. I set the icon to a .jpg, it changes nothing. Are there size limits?

Matchew

Can someone please help me. I just opened steam and I went to play dragon age and all my games are uninstalled! I'm new to all this pc gaming and steam, and I just don't get why it uninstalled my games,

Aaron

Any recommended mods for Warband? There's quite a few out there, but I'm not entirely sure what they do. I'm looking for anything that would make the RPG elements more robust.

Mount and Blade Warband is one of the most funny and addicting online games I have played in years. It's so full of "omg lol" moments. The graphics are not nice but the gameplay is simply some of the most hardcore metal epic awesome you can get. Nowhere else, will you get hundreds of people going crazy on the stairs to board a castle, commiting suicide by vertically running your own horse down a wall to face death.

I have been considering M&B Warband for quite a while, though I'm not entirely confident that my PC is up to the task. I'll consider it at this price, since I didn't get it during the summer sale.

Eh not my cup of tea. I've still working on Bioshock so I think I am going to pass.

Does anyone happen to have a gift copy of Bioshock 2? I would gladly buy it from you.

Aaron

Twig said:
jesus christ why are they called quick looks when they're thirty fucking minutes long

ugh
This comment makes no sense. If you think the quick look is running too long, STOP WATCHING. Games run for twenty hours or more. A half hour slice is hardly the whole pie.

Holy shit Warband multiplayer is so goddamn addicting. It is not even the most technically best looking game out there by far, but it is so damn amusing. Nothing beats that 200 person server playing siege mode. There is nothing like trying to take a castle with dozens of arrows raining down and the anticipation of what awaits on the other side when you are in a siege tower waiting for it to approach the wall and the ramp to go down.

And the poster who mentioned the lol moments of the game, I saw a person riding a horse run up a siege ramp full speed, launch himself completely over a wall into a crowd of ~20 people fighting on the ground, where he proceeded to get stabbed by a spear mid-air while making the landing, which caused him to fall off the horse. Then he got up and slayed the person who speared his horse and ruined a landing to an amazing jump. :lol

I don't know if this warrants it's own thread, but I'm not really happy with the artificial inflation of prices on Steam. It'd be nice to get a discussion of this going and then send it to Gabe.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This game really costs 49.99 but we're being so kind to you and offering it to you for the one time price of 39.99. This practice is actually illegal in the UK (to advertise discounts that weren't based on real prices in the last 6 months) and a well known sofa retailer got in trouble for it's year long double discount sales. It's happened with a number of games now, and they never actually charge the full asking price listed. It's straight up misleading.

Visualante said:
This game really costs 49.99 but we're being so kind to you and offering it to you for the one time price of 39.99. This practice is actually illegal in the UK (to advertise discounts that weren't based on real prices in the last 6 months) and a well known sofa retailer got in trouble for it's year long double discount sales. It's happened with a number of games now, and they never actually charge the full asking price listed. It's straight up misleading.
I don't know, show me a few games that do this. I'm sure it happens sometimes when companies just forget that they're even selling a particular game on Steam, but I think you're confusing the suggested retail price with the nicer price many real stores end up discounting things to when the inventory doesn't sell. Steam doesn't have an inventory to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom