• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I don't know, show me a few games that do this. I'm sure it happens sometimes when companies just forget that they're even selling a particular game on Steam, but I think you're confusing the suggested retail price with the nicer price many real stores end up discounting things to when the inventory doesn't sell. Steam doesn't have an inventory to manage.
Mafia 2 does it, Bioshock 2 did it, Civ V is doing it, all recent 2K games but I seem to remember Ubisoft titles and others doing the same. The only game that has actually honoured the full asking price is Modern Warfare 2 which didn't even have a pre-order discount. I have to respect Bethesda, Square Enix for not following these tactics and just listing the asking price that they intend to charge.

edit. Scratch that Bethesda's pre-orders have suddenly jumped 5 pounds in the past week but the asking price has remained the same. Perhaps that was an unspoken act of good faith on their part during QuakeCon.. or perhaps they're following suit. I doubt they'll actually charge that for Brink or New Vegas. You would think they would take the initiative to say "hey 5 pounds off during Quake Con get your pre-orders in and save now" but no. They're cheap tactics to make the games seem like a bargain instead of offering a genuine pre-order discount.

confused

Banned
Wasn't the Original Mafia game supposed to be purchasable with the release of Mafia 2 or was it at a later date ?

I'm not talking about the preorder bonus copy but just Mafia 1 seperate for 9.99. I thought I remember reading that or maybe I'm just making up what I want to hear :lol

confused said:
Wasn't the Original Mafia game supposed to be purchasable with the release of Mafia 2 or was it at a later date ?

I'm not talking about the preorder bonus copy but just Mafia 1 seperate for 9.99. I thought I remember reading that or maybe I'm just making up what I want to hear :lol
Coming today I think, delayed because Euro release.

biocat

PdxInteractive

Mount&Blade weekend on Steam. 70 Steam achievements added to M&B Warband; MBW is 66% off and the original game is 66% off all weekend.

Saw that on Twitter.

Are the achievements there? Is the patch up yet?

Javaman

confused said:

Yeah, I've been waiting on that too. It's strange that it doesn't have a release day listed.

coopolon

Visualante said:
Mafia 2 does it, Bioshock 2 did it, Civ V is doing it, all recent 2K games but I seem to remember Ubisoft titles and others doing the same. The only game that has actually honoured the full asking price is Modern Warfare 2 which didn't even have a pre-order discount. I have to respect Bethesda, Square Enix for not following these tactics and just listing the asking price that they intend to charge.

edit. Scratch that Bethesda's pre-orders have suddenly jumped 5 pounds in the past week but the asking price has remained the same. Perhaps that was an unspoken act of good faith on their part during QuakeCon.. or perhaps they're following suit. I doubt they'll actually charge that for Brink or New Vegas. You would think they would take the initiative to say "hey 5 pounds off during Quake Con get your pre-orders in and save now" but no. They're cheap tactics to make the games seem like a bargain instead of offering a genuine pre-order discount.

I don't really understand what you are talking about. Mafia 2 is currently 49.99. As are most PC games when they first launch. How is that price inflation?

I'm not arguing with you, I seriously don't understand what you mean.

coopolon said:
I don't really understand what you are talking about. Mafia 2 is currently 49.99. As are most PC games when they first launch. How is that price inflation?

I'm not arguing with you, I seriously don't understand what you mean.
My stupid Mac keyboard doesn't have a pound sign. They're claiming it's 49.99 GBP and actually selling it for 39.99, GBP. Apologies, but the argument still stands for any currency if you look at it. They never actually charge the full list price.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yes it does. Hold option when you hit 3 or 4 (I forget if it's on the dollar sign or the other pound: #).
LKBP how are you running Civ V on your Mac? I want to convince my brother it's feasible on his "imac 21.5" (dunno if this is enough info, but that's what he called it) but I don't know the first thing about non-native (or any) gaming on Macs.

Sorry to be off topic, but does anyone else have problems connectic to Steam? This error appears when trying to connect:

"Steam is having trouble connecting to the Steam servers."

First time ever, so I found it strange.

Anywho, thanks in advance.

Baha

DisenLedZep said:
Sorry to be off topic, but does anyone else have problems connectic to Steam? This error appears when trying to connect:

Yep, lots of people are having error this atm. You gotta chuff it out bro.

DisenLedZep said:

Yeah, I'm getting a "No Connection" error.

Since June, we've been working on moving and expanding Steam's core server infrastructure. This effort includes replacing and upgrading the network infrastructure, adding additional disk and CPU capacity, and physically moving the Steam servers.

All of the infrastructure build-out is complete; the servers have their new home and the new network infrastructure is up and running. We're in the process of physically moving the existing servers to join the new servers, and migrating the network connections from the old location to the new location.

We've got a plan in place that minimizes the amount of downtime required to complete this work. In fact, until yesterday, we'd managed to do everything without any effects that were visible to our users. Starting today, we're actually changing the routing and location for our outbound Internet connections. This work is intended to be as noninvasive as possible.

As we move the network connections and reconfigure, we expect a series of short outages today; nothing more than a few minutes each.

As we finish moving the servers next week, we'll be down for maintenance a little more often than normal. Usually, we push new code to the servers once a week, causing a five- to ten-minute outage. The week of August 30, we expect to be down three or four times for similar durations.

Finally, after this work is done, we'll have the twice-annual database maintenance window. This time, we'll be using the window to move database load to the new machines and storage we've purchased.

Now that the customer-visible work is starting, I'll try to keep this thread updated with notes about our progress and changes to our plans.

After the dust settles, we believe we'll have a better implementation of Steam than ever -- more computing resources offering us more headroom to implement a more robust solution, and a platform to offer even more features and performance.

Thanks for your patience!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16750697&postcount=232

Eaten By A Grue said:
Holy shit Warband multiplayer is so goddamn addicting. It is not even the most technically best looking game out there by far, but it is so damn amusing. Nothing beats that 200 person server playing siege mode. There is nothing like trying to take a castle with dozens of arrows raining down and the anticipation of what awaits on the other side when you are in a siege tower waiting for it to approach the wall and the ramp to go down.

And the poster who mentioned the lol moments of the game, I saw a person riding a horse run up a siege ramp full speed, launch himself completely over a wall into a crowd of ~20 people fighting on the ground, where he proceeded to get stabbed by a spear mid-air while making the landing, which caused him to fall off the horse. Then he got up and slayed the person who speared his horse and ruined a landing to an amazing jump. :lol

That sounds like me, but I usually am a archer, aiming after the sun:D

My goal in these giant war games is always to spread chaos. I dont care about winning or losing. I just want the sensation of ultimate war!

Darkenmal

Banned
legend166 said:
Mount and Blade: Warband is pretty damn awesome. It's like a weird mix of Oblivion and the Total War series.

I like it as well, but the graphics are horrible and the single player takes forever to do anything.

larvi

crimsonheadGCN said:
Ship Simulator Extremes is now available on Steam for $39.99. One of the major features of the title is:

Quote:
Save the environment campaign: sail famous Greenpeace ships and take on ecological missions based on real events!

Nice, can I run them aground on a coral reef for the full experience?

Psy-Phi

DisenLedZep said:

On my Mac I had this problem this morning; but they had a fix for it on the forums to delete a file in the steam apps folder named sourceinit osx.gcf

Not sure if the same file without osx in it can be deleted to fix it on the PC side, not home yet to try and see if I have the problem. But it was posted on the 25th from DerrickG from Valve, in the OSX forums. Not sure if it would help on the PC side either. Weird issue though...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412486

I haven't tried out the latest beta yet, but there is one interesting addition:

There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select Beta Update, and allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

8/27/2010

- Fix a bug where installing a game with a demo may not initial install all content with some left to download on first launch
- Fix a bug with ISteamNetworking getting available packet size for Steamworks Partners
- Adds ability for Cloud to store save files for more types of games
- Windows: Fix a case where minidumping due to an error could deadlock the client on startup or shutdown
- Mac client will no longer errantly open a script in a text editor at startup (only effects a few users).

Maybe Cloud could be used for than just Steamworks titles now?

Edit: Nevermind:

It's a change in preparation for making it easier to use cloud and getting more games using it. The client release won't suddenly make lots of games use cloud and there is really no user visible change right away.

Blizzard

Banned
Fredescu said:
The trailer is the best thing I have ever seen.
:lol :lol :lol the music and special effects...

And why on earth does the game description say "Saira is a puzzle platformer with non-linear gameplay and a whole universe for you to explore. The game is heavily influenced by classic puzzle adventure games and uses a new unique graphical style combining high resolution photography into a lush and mysterious world."? I AM SO CONFUSED :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
crimsonheadGCN said:
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine has been added to the "Coming Soon" list with a release date of December 2011. I thought this was coming out Q1 2011?
Yes Please!!!!

I wonder if Gamespot is going to buy up all of the exclusive gear. Doesn't matter since it's Steamworks anyway. Damn I love Steamworks.

Joe Molotov said:
One of these days I'm going to buy Railworks, for real.
nuke_avvy.jpg

larvi

Twig said:
Really? I could find a number of them, on these very forums.

Raises hand. If it's a game I think I may still want to play 10 yrs from now I wouldn't want online based DRM. It's much more likely that future emulation will be able to handle a cd check as opposed to having to emulate STEAM as well. In addition if I'm trying to play a game on what then will be a classic system you can pretty much be sure Steam won't have a functional client that will work with WinXP.

larvi said:
Raises hand. If it's a game I think I may still want to play 10 yrs from now I wouldn't want online based DRM. It's much more likely that future emulation will be able to handle a cd check as opposed to having to emulate STEAM as well. In addition if I'm trying to play a game on what then will be a classic system you can pretty much be sure Steam won't have a functional client that will work with WinXP.

In ten years Steam will still be around and CDs will have gone the way of the floppy.

Twig

Banned
BobJustBob said:
In ten years Steam will still be around and CDs will have gone the way of the floppy.
And five people in the world will have an old machine with a floppy drive and a CD/DVD drive. U:

Psy-Phi

larvi said:
if I want to play a game 10 years from now that I have on steam I'll buy it in whatever form I can. There will be a few that I wont be able to find but it wont be the end of the world.

Cam find most 10 year old games for lie $10 at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom