• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

it uses 68mb here. a bunch of chat tabs, the main page and my friends list. it doesn't change when i move over to the library.

Blizzard

Banned
With a chat window, friends list, and game library open, the Commit Size (I assume that's the most appropriate column) in task manager in Vista 64 shows 154,540K for Steam.exe, and 6,148K for SteamService.exe.

Blizzard

Banned
evlcookie said:
Community group chat window open. 214mb
What's the best column to look at? Commit Size is described as "Amount of virtual memory that is reserved for use by a process." I assume that that amount of memory is unavailable for other processes, then?

Nabs

I restarted steam about an hour ago, and it's still sitting at around 49. (Windows 7)

Wow, Plain Sight keeps crashing on me. It did this a few days ago, and I had to redownload the game to get it working =\

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Blizzard said:
What's the best column to look at? Commit Size is described as "Amount of virtual memory that is reserved for use by a process." I assume that that amount of memory is unavailable for other processes, then?

Memory (Private Working Set) - 214MB
Commit Size - 550MB

I just took the standard memory private set as how much it is using.

TheExodu5

Banned
Blizzard said:

Yes. Use commit size.

jambo

Using 25MB idling with small list and friends open.

80MB after moving through a few tabs.

Visualante said:
Anyone noticed how Steam's memory footprint has gone up lately? It was chugging 250mb earlier, brought my system to a halt.
Do you have 256MB or RAM or something?

jambo said:
Using 25MB idling with small list and friends open.

80MB after moving through a few tabs.

Do you have 256MB or RAM or something?
I have 2gb of ram, but I run some software which apparently prefers not to have Steam hogging resources unecessarily.

All the stuff they added to Steam is great but it has become bloated reading reports in this thread.

Twig

Banned
So Plain Sight is pretty damn fun after all! A little annoying trying to target people, but unique enough that I can overlook the flaws for two bucks.

epmode

Visualante said:
I have 2gb of ram, but I run some software which apparently prefers not to have Steam hogging resources unecessarily.

All the stuff they added to Steam is great but it has become bloated reading reports in this thread.
The memory footprint goes down to almost nothing when the main Steam window is closed. But if 15-25 MB is too much, I don't know what to tell you.

Slavik81

Blizzard said:
With a chat window, friends list, and game library open, the Commit Size (I assume that's the most appropriate column) in task manager in Vista 64 shows 154,540K for Steam.exe, and 6,148K for SteamService.exe.
Commit can be misleading. It's actually:
The total amount of virtual memory which Windows has promised could be backed by either physical memory or the page file.

If the program doesn't use all the memory it was promised, then the used memory could be lower than the committed memory. Windows uses that to its advantage too. So long as it has the disk to fall back on, it can over-commit and rely on statistical probability to ensure that it doesn't actually hit the disk.

I found this article to be rather interesting. And the one it links to.

Blizzard

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Commit can be misleading. It's actually:
Where did you get that quote from? I was quoting a windows.microsoft.com reference list. Also, might it be different between Vista and Windows 7?

If the program doesn't use all the memory it was promised, then the used memory could be lower than the committed memory. Windows uses that to its advantage too. So long as it has the disk to fall back on, it can over-commit and rely on statistical probability to ensure that it doesn't actually hit the disk.
That seems reasonable. I hate Vista's caching though, considering that a couple of web browsers, a chat client, a game, a dev environment, and editor can push me to 97% of 4GB memory used. I feel like it has noticeable disk grinding if I try to change to different applications etc. sometimes, contrary to the expectation of the supercache'd memory being instantly freed. =/

Salsa

Stumpokapow said:
only two gigs of ram? yikes.

Same boat. And even with Win 7 64. Zero problems whatsoever, i can play almost any new game (Mafia II for example) at max settings with no issues.

Still gonna get 2 more gigs though, for the sake of it.

Slavik81

Blizzard said:
Where did you get that quote from? I was quoting a windows.microsoft.com reference list. Also, might it be different between Vista and Windows 7?
Ultimately, that came from the second link, which is the blog of a Microsoft engineer. It's originally from that second link I posted, and quoted in the first.

For posterity's sake, it's here, under the heading "So what is 'commit?'"

Blizzard

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Ultimately, that came from the second link, which is the blog of a Microsoft engineer. It's originally from that second link I posted, and quoted in the first.

For posterity's sake, it's here, under the heading "So what is 'commit?'"
Ah cool, thanks. I hadn't looked through the articles yet. I guess my article was a "setting descriptions for n00bs" article. =(

Just noticed that the games list in your community page now has a built-in search feature that allows an individual to filter through the list.

Mr_Zombie

I've just noticed that Steam has a build-in battery meter (when you're on laptop and unplugged) and that there's even a pop-up telling you that there's only few minutes before the battery is depleted. Small but a really nice feature.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Monroeski said:
How do I equip the Worms items in Team Fortress 2? I can't seem to find them anywhere on the equip screen.

Have you joined a server and died yet? You typically get a new item during respawn.

Nabs

Worms is a blast. It's not W:A, but it's still Worms, and it's still a ton of fun. I hope they keep the four pack available for a while.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
Worms is a blast. It's not W:A, but it's still Worms, and it's still a ton of fun. I hope they keep the four pack available for a while.
Same, I was playing the campaign this afternoon and it's really amusing playing against bots. It's almost as if they are all set to play like my Bluntman worm. Also, I am enjoying the practice.

I was checking out the games under Coming Soon on the Steam storefront and clicked on Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Intrigued by what I saw, I checked out Penumbra as it was mentioned in the trailer for Amnesia. I'm interested in knowing what the general opinion is on the Penumbra games.

Curufinwe

I think someone on a recent PC Gamer podcast was talking about Anmesia and how scary it was. I'm going to be looking out for reviews and impressions.

trinest

Curufinwe said:
I think someone on a recent PC Gamer podcast was talking about Anmesia and how scary it was. I'm going to be looking out for reviews and impressions.
Yeah I herd it was going to be badass- any word on pricing yet?

epmode

trinest said:
Yeah I herd it was going to be badass- any word on pricing yet?
http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main

$18 now, $20 at launch.
If you buy from the dev site, they'll give you a Steam unlock code before it goes live.
jaundicejuice said:
I was checking out the games under Coming Soon on the Steam storefront and clicked on Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Intrigued by what I saw, I checked out Penumbra as it was mentioned in the trailer for Amnesia. I'm interested in knowing what the general opinion is on the Penumbra games.
The first two games are pretty awesome if you're into ATMOSPHERE. Creepy as hell, great sound design. I also like the emphasis on physics and how you actually move the mouse to open doors. Course, they're not very budgety and the combat sucks (only affects the first game since there's no combat in the others).

What do you mean by budgety? That they're not as polished as a bigger budget releases? I don't have a problem with games being rough around the edges if the core experience is interesting.

Once I work my way through my backlog, I think the Penumbra games and Amnesia will be the next titles I pick up on Steam. Cryostasis is up there with those games.

epmode

jaundicejuice said:
What do you mean by budgety? That they're not as polished as a bigger budget releases? I don't have a problem with games being rough around the edges if the core experience is interesting.
Yeah, that's what I meant. If you can look beyond that stuff, the first two are worth playing for sure.

I haven't played the third yet so I can't say one way or the other. I hear it's a departure from the other two though.

The first two are really good, and very creepy. Third one's kinda lame, since it's mostly weird puzzle shit that's obnoxious. I got stuck on this water level where you had to float a wooden crate to make paths, and I could not make those jumps to save my life. But definitely check out the first two, at least. Probably going to replay those around Halloween now that I have surround sound. :D

WEGGLES

Steam being weird for everyone? Or something on my end?

Keep losing connection to steam servers and losing all my TF2 stuff/showing 0 friends online etc.

Not sure if it's me or Steam though, my internet can be goofy sometimes.

Volcynika

WEGGLES said:

Keep losing connection to steam servers and losing all my TF2 stuff/showing 0 friends online etc.

Same here.

markot

Banned
I think so, but ive only played the first 2 >.< the 3rd is meant to be soso... not sure about the last 2.

Um, anyways, so how much is the Darksiders pre order for you yanks? Its like 60 on the Aus store but its also like 1 year later portificated so hmm >.>

commissar

WEGGLES said:

I'm not at my pc so I don't have a link, but Valve have been migrating the steam service tk bigger better servers etc for a while now, but the past week and the following week or so will include 5-10minutes here and there of interrupted services as they change some things over.

Minor price of progress. Onwards more epic steam sales

epmode said:
http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main

$18 now, $20 at launch.
If you buy from the dev site, they'll give you a Steam unlock code before it goes live.The first two games are pretty awesome if you're into ATMOSPHERE. Creepy as hell, great sound design. I also like the emphasis on physics and how you actually move the mouse to open doors. Course, they're not very budgety and the combat sucks (only affects the first game since there's no combat in the others).

Good thing I pre-ordered it early for $9 :D

graywolf323

markot said:
I think so, but ive only played the first 2 >.< the 3rd is meant to be soso... not sure about the last 2.

Um, anyways, so how much is the Darksiders pre order for you yanks? Its like 60 on the Aus store but its also like 1 year later portificated so hmm >.>

$40

I can help you out if you want Markot

So my brother bought a Magic game on steam but when he tries to start it he get #steamUI_joindialog_keyrequestpending_Text. Anyone know what this means? I tried installing it and run it on my computer but we get the same message here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom