• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leatherface

BeeDog said:
Sorry if this is off-topic, but didn't find the official topic so...

Anyway, bought Dirt 2 yesterday and played one stage before quitting. Now, whenever I try to open up the game, it always starts in windowed mode and I can't seem to find a freaking setting that fixes it. What gives? Does someone know how to fix it? I have a GTX 460 (and Windows 7 64-bit) if it matters. Thanks in advance.

lol I was just about to post the exact same thing. Same situation here. I'm on Windows 7 64bit as well, but have a GTX 275. I'f i find a fix I'll post it up in this thread.

Edit:

wait...alt + enter? are you kidding me? *head smack*

either way I don't think that's the issue. It's a bug. I'm almost positive.

damn..it was alt enter.. LOLOLOLOL

.nimrod

What are the chances that Mirror's Edge and Crysis+Warhead are gonna be on sale anytime soon again?

Now that i'm building a new pc, i really want to play them maxed out, but the crazy steam sales have spoiled me :|

Mr_Zombie

Drkirby said:
Most people don't know you can pull up task manager directly with Ctrl + Shift + Esc

I'm on Win7 now and every time I want to pull up task manager I push Ctrl + Alt + Del :(
Why did they change it?

Nabs

.nimrod said:
What are the chances that Mirror's Edge and Crysis+Warhead are gonna be on sale anytime soon again?

Now that i'm building a new pc, i really want to play them maxed out, but the crazy steam sales have spoiled me :|

Maybe during the xmas sale? I bought The Crysis pack for $13. Mirror's Edge for $5.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I bought Metro 2033 during the sale, runs great and looks great. Playing in DX11 mode using High settings, runs buttery smooth for the most part :D. Love the smoke effects in the game.

I thought being on a Dual Core would mean the game wouldn't run well at all but obviously that isn't the case :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Mr_Zombie said:
I'm on Win7 now and every time I want to pull up task manager I push Ctrl + Alt + Del :(
Why did they change it?
A better front end for people who associate ctrl alt del for logging in or out of public/work PCs.

CiSTM

Banned
Doesn't really belong here but I'll shoot anyways. Can you recommend some games from steam that are playable with dpad ? That vvvvvv game seems pretty neat and I'm gonna get it but some other games would be nice too.

MNC

F1 is help, F2 is renaming, CTRL SHIFT ESC isn't task manager perse, but process manager. CTRL ALT DEL is task manager (or that window thing in vista's case)

ALT F4 closes, CTRL W closes, CTRL S saves, CTRL A selects all, WIN+D is go to desktop, WIN+SPACE brings up vista sidebar, WIN+1/2/3/4/5 opens up shortcuts from your taskbar, CTRL ESC brings up start menu, and I think that's a basic short list of what you can do :D

Also alt tab lol.

Tim-E

idEmp.gif

Nabs

MNC said:
F1 is help, F2 is renaming, CTRL SHIFT ESC isn't task manager perse, but process manager. CTRL ALT DEL is task manager (or that window thing in vista's case)

ALT F4 closes, CTRL W closes, CTRL S saves, CTRL A selects all, WIN+D is go to desktop, WIN+SPACE brings up vista sidebar, WIN+1/2/3/4/5 opens up shortcuts from your taskbar, CTRL ESC brings up start menu, and I think that's a basic short list of what you can do :D

Also alt tab lol.

win+e brings up explorer. i used to use it a lot, back when i had windows keys.

Zzoram

CiSTM said:
Doesn't really belong here but I'll shoot anyways. Can you recommend some games from steam that are playable with dpad ? That vvvvvv game seems pretty neat and I'm gonna get it but some other games would be nice too.
Recettear and Devil May Cry 4.

TheExodu5

Banned
MNC said:

Also alt tab lol.

Holy shit!

No more going to the Windows screen anymore!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
mattiewheels said:
..I feel a valvetime joke coming on, but is there no standard hour or part of the day that valve flips the switch on new releases? Is it the publisher that determines that? In a beautiful world they'd unlock at midnight the day of.
Like the sales I've noticed many games tend to release at 10am Pacific...Or are at least scheuled to.

Pretty poor Valve time with the Super Meat Boy, it's been 1 hours for about 4 hours.

If it ain't out in a few more hours I'll just cancel and buy it in the sale. I have shit to do, I wanted to play some tonight. If they don't know when it's coming out just say "tomorrow" or something instead of making people stick around for an hour- coming back to disappointment.

Lime

Also,

Windows key + M = Minimize all windows
Windows key + E = Opens up Explorer
Windows key + P = Changes screen mode (nice when having dual monitors).
Windows key + Arrows = Moves window to the desired direction. Excellent when working on two or more programs simultaneously.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Visualante said:
Pretty poor Valve time with the Super Meat Boy, it's been 1 hours for about 4 hours.

If it ain't out in a few more hours I'll just cancel and buy it in the sale. I have shit to do, I wanted to play some tonight. If they don't know when it's coming out just say "tomorrow" or something instead of making people stick around for an hour- coming back to disappointment.
Wait, what?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Visualante said:

There is a cancel option on Steam Prepurcheses?

Mr_Zombie

MNC said:

Also alt tab lol.

Windows + Tab - switch between windows in 3D mode (Vista, Win7)

In Windows 7:
Win + Up arrow - maximize active window (equals to dragging your window to the top of your monitor)
Win + Left/Right arrow - put active window to the left/right side of your monitor (equals dragging window to left/right)

:p

Drkirby said:
Most people don't know you can pull up task manager directly with Ctrl + Shift + Esc
And you can open it by right-clicking the bottom bar (windows bar? whatever!) and selecting “task manager” in the menu! Great when your other hand can't be bothered and/or the keyboard is out of reach.

I thought it was a Vista feature until I found out that it wasn't, true story.

Drkirby said:
There is a cancel option on Steam Prepurcheses?
Uh, yeah. If you send in your request before the game is released they will give you a refund.

It literally just released anyway so they sorted their shit out. Gonna play some now.

GWX

Mr_Zombie said:
In Windows 7:
Win + Up arrow - maximize active window (equals to dragging your window to the top of your monitor)
Win + Left/Right arrow - put active window to the left/right side of your monitor (equals dragging window to left/right)

Mind blown. Also, just figured out that in Win 7, Windows + Space is Aero Peek. Awesome.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Danne-Danger said:
And you can open it by right-clicking the bottom bar (windows bar? whatever!) and selecting “task manager” in the menu! Great when your other hand can't be bothered and/or the keyboard is out of reach.

I thought it was a Vista feature until I found out that it wasn't, true story.
I find the keyboard command more useful since when I tend to need it is when a fullscreen game has locked up.

Jimrpg

Jo-El said:
If the puzzles were better I would agree. The presentation is fantastic and the story was surprisingly pretty great. It's easily my favourite Telltale game. I'd like to see a sequel that continues the story but has puzzles that are a little less vague.

yeah i agree... i quite like puzzle agent so far... the story is a bit slow and you can't fast forward the dialogue properly but overall for $1... can't complain :p

Drkirby said:
I find the keyboard command more useful since when I tend to need it is when a fullscreen game has locked up.
Very true. But for that moment when VLC is stuck because you're watching a shall-we-say dodgy video and you really, really need to get rid of that window fast, you'll want all the options you can get.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm sure its been answered but the Steam Holiday sale starts what, the 23rd of December?

I really want Dragon Age Ultimate from Steam and not from some lesser download service because I'm ridiculous. The first Half Life would be awesome too since my incredibly old GOTY edition isn't as neat as having it on Steam.

I'll take laughably cheap New Vegas and Borderlands: GOTY as well.

Really there's no limit for the ridiculous that I can wish for with these sales!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You got to be kidding me Spec :lol

The first Half Life would be awesome too since my incredibly old GOTY edition isn't as neat as having it on Steam.
Protip: Put in the Serial number into steam. Goto games, at the bottom left there is a "Add Game" Option. Should work, you will likely get counter strike and some other stuff to.

Danne-Danger said:
Very true. But for that moment when VLC is stuck because you're watching a shall-we-say dodgy video and you really, really need to get rid of that window fast, you'll want all the options you can get.
Well you honestly deserve to be publicly shamed for using VLC in the first place.

wienke said:
The first Half Life would be awesome too since my incredibly old GOTY edition isn't as neat as having it on Steam.

... have you actually tried entering your HL cdkey on steam?

EDIT:

Drkirby said:
Should work, you will likely get counter strike and some other stuff to.

IIRC, a valid HL cdkey gets you: HL, HLDM, DMC, TFC, Richoshit, OpFor, and Blue Shift.

'valid HL cd keys' include HL, OpFor, and gunman chronicles (lol?)

1-D_FTW

Drkirby said:

*raises hand* I don't know how many times I wanted to quickly pull that up and by the time I jumped through all the steps, missed what I wanted to see.

Mr_Zombie said:
Windows + Tab - switch between windows in 3D mode (Vista, Win7)

In Windows 7:

You don't know how handy this'll come for resizing a web browser on my HDTV. Thank you.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
There's no CD Key on my GOTY edition. Probably should've mentioned that. For some dumb reason I lost the jewel case paper cover sometime in the past 10+ years.

Varna

BeeDog said:
Sorry if this is off-topic, but didn't find the official topic so...

Anyway, bought Dirt 2 yesterday and played one stage before quitting. Now, whenever I try to open up the game, it always starts in windowed mode and I can't seem to find a freaking setting that fixes it. What gives? Does someone know how to fix it? I have a GTX 460 (and Windows 7 64-bit) if it matters. Thanks in advance.
Speaking of dirt 2... Were are the graphic options? Can seem to find them.

1-D_FTW

speculawyer said:
How long will it be before EA puts NFS: HP onto steam?

3 months? 6 months? a year?

I think Shift was like two weeks. It wasn't on Steam, bought the stupid thing in store for retail, and almost immediately was listed on Steam.

Then I later threw the disc out in utter frustration at how broken it was. Would like to have that on Steam now so I could have tried out the mods that have supposedly fixed the broken driving model.:lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
wienke said:
I really want Dragon Age Ultimate from Steam and not from some lesser download service because I'm ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous to...
1) Want all your games in ONE place.
2) Give your business to a service that has been truly excellent for you.
3) Stick with the most popular and thus most-likely-to-last service, since a DD is a subscription.

Wallach

Wow... I'm sure this is old, but I just noticed how much DLC there is for RailWorks 2. Holy fuck!

"Add all DLC to cart: $979.39"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom