• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Minsc said:
I don't understand, did it remove itself from your list automatically without telling you? Does removing it entirely and re-downloading it work?
I finished downloading it yesterday and went to bed.

Woke up today, opened up Steam and it wasn't on the Library anymore.

I went to look for the files and they were still there. I fired up the .exe from inside SteamApps Folder, and it just pointed Steam to the game Store.

I went back into my Library and it was there again. Clicking on it in the library sends me to the game store again.

drizzle said:
I finished downloading it yesterday and went to bed.

Woke up today, opened up Steam and it wasn't on the Library anymore.

I went to look for the files and they were still there. I fired up the .exe from inside SteamApps Folder, and it just pointed Steam to the game Store.

I went back into my Library and it was there again. Clicking on it in the library sends me to the game store again.
Its status was just changed to "pre-loaded" for me. It let me uninstall.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Schmattakopf said:
Its status was just changed to "pre-loaded" for me. It let me uninstall.
Both "Backup game Files" and "Verify integrity of game cache" are disabled for me on the proprieties screen. Now that the game came back to my Library, I can delete game files, but it was missing until i manually fired up the .exe from the SteamApps folder.

Funny stuff.

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
You defend only because you love when PC games add to your gamerscore :lol

People just need to rewind for awhile and think, Microsoft has given you the OPTION whether to use GFWL, once you get it working that is.

stuminus3

Hey, not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but if you buy Swords and Soliders HD directly from www.swordsandsoldiers.com you can enter the coupon code "sinterklaas" and get 30% off (so ~7 bucks). You can then install the game to Steam as if you actually bought it directly on the Steam store, and reinstall from Steam like it was any other game.

Found this info on the Steam forum for the game.

Gogogo sale prices!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
stuminus3 said:
Hey, not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but if you buy Swords and Soliders HD directly from www.swordsandsoldiers.com you can enter the coupon code "sinterklaas" and get 30% off (so ~7 bucks). You can then install the game to Steam as if you actually bought it directly on the Steam store, and reinstall from Steam like it was any other game.

Gogogo sale prices!
Does the game come with a Steam code or are you referring to the feature that lets you manually add shortcuts to your Steam app?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SapientWolf said:
Does the game come with a Steam code or are you referring to the feature that lets you manually add shortcuts to your Steam app?
According to the link, it's entering the cd-key/ties to your account.

stuminus3

SapientWolf said:
The former. It comes with an installer and an activation key. When you install it with the key, it gets added to your Steam account like a normal game.

One of the Romino people posted this on their forums:

Joost said:
If you buy from our site, you get an installer that installs the game into Steam, plus an activation key for Steam. From there on, it is exactly the same thing as when you would buy at directly on Steam.

So you can play over Steam with your friends, even if you buy from our own website.

If you have both a Mac and a PC, then buying any version also gives you access to the game on the other platform through your Steam account.

From the player's perspective, there is no real difference between buying from our own website and buying from Steam. The difference to us is that Steam gets a percentage of the price, so as a developer we get more money from sales on our site than from sales on Steam.

EDIT: confirmed, the installer is actually just a Steam installer, it just launched my Steam and I entered the code. I've just launched the game via Steam and started playing it now, even though it's not technically available on the Steam store for another 5 hours or so. Nice!

EDIT2: game is pretty cool!

Yeef

wmat said:
Usually, you want a little more than a third of the deck as lands. Like 22 of 60 or so.

It really depends on your deck though. The rules talk of a third, but most people go slightly over that because the worst thing that could happen is having no mana at all, and you want to play cheap creatures early in the grand majority of decks.

That's of course why people would enjoy a deck builder in this game :S
The problem with Duels of the Planeswalkers is that you can unlock extra cards for the various decks, but they don't replace cards already in the deck, the just add extra cards to your deck. Even though the amount of land is dynamically altered it's a pretty terrible way to introduce people to deck building. Especially since a lot of the decks start out with 60 cards or more to begin with. Adding more cards just means you're less likely to get the stuff you need.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
omg hard Super Meat Boy is hard :( But I love all the references! And I love the game! But I hate the game! And I love it!

I think I'm going insane. Arcade Stick works, btw.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeef said:
The problem with Duels of the Planeswalkers is that you can unlock extra cards for the various decks, but they don't replace cards already in the deck, the just add extra cards to your deck. Even though the amount of land is dynamically altered it's a pretty terrible way to introduce people to deck building. Especially since a lot of the decks start out with 60 cards or more to begin with. Adding more cards just means you're less likely to get the stuff you need.

Yea, you should totally be able to swap any card 1:1 as long as you leave the total at 60+ Putting the extra cards in your deck makes it increase over 60, making it especially hard to use any strategy since it makes draws of the cards you have 4 of more infrequent. I only end up putting 3 or 4 of the extra cards in unless they're really, really good.

Joe Molotov

stuminus3 said:

Gogogo sale prices!

Thanks for the tip, just bought it and I'm d/ling now.

19Kilo

stuminus3 said:

Gogogo sale prices!

I grabbed it too, thanks man. Game looks fun.

Schmattakopf said:
I did not know this.

Yep, easiest way to see the change probably is to play as a Gunslinger and watch how your accuracy circle gets smaller as you level up. On a sidenote that's why the Gunslingers fanning is so nasty when they got to a high level, it becomes super accurate.

lastplayed said:
So when does the Christmas sale usually start?

probably around Christmas.

seriously though, it ran between Christmas and New Year's last year, so the earliest starting point will probably be, like, Christmas Eve. just a guess though.

John

Sanjay said:
People just need to rewind for awhile and think, Microsoft has given you the OPTION whether to use GFWL, once you get it working that is.
not really. they force you to make an account just to save.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
John said:
not really. they force you to make an account just to save.
GFWL is complete bullshit and should be banned from the PC. Seriously, if your stupid platform updates and breaks my game, fuck off. Just fuck off.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ColonelColon said:
Too bad Steam doesn't have a Hannukkah sale. :(
I personally think some idoitic people would make a stink about it. Lots of people in northern states still use Jew as an insult and such.

Jackl

Schmattakopf said:
A. Hanukkah is a very minor holiday.
B. Haven't we suffered enough?

No, while the thanksgiving sales were ok. You can tell everyone is saving the big guns for Xmas. Be prepared for 3-4 amazing sales per day. God knows I wasn't last year.

John

started playing sol survivor (from a sale like two months ago) and it's reasonably fun, but everyone should play on at least hard. even then baddies weren't making it past my first line of defense, and being able to spam the laser with basically no consequence just makes it too easy.

Drkirby said:
I personally think some idoitic people would make a stink about it. Lots of people in northern states still use Jew as an insult and such.
What better way to show them up then with some really cheap games... hmm, on second thought maybe we should skip it. Might give the wrong idea.

Used to just be a Winter sale. This year they added Summer and Thanksgiving. Within a few years they'll be throwing a massive event sale every month. And then we're all fucked.

Tim-E

faceless007 said:
Used to just be a Winter sale. This year they added Summer and Thanksgiving. Within a few years they'll be throwing a massive event sale every month. And then we're all fucked.

They did a Thanksgiving sale last year, too.

Smash88

Banned
faceless007 said:

Massive even sales every month + mid-week and weekend sales....honestly it's going to suck when you really want something but don't have the money. :lol

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Smash88 said:
Massive even sales every month + mid-week and weekend sales....honestly it's going to suck when you really want something but don't have the money. :lol

You don't have 5 dollars! Come on man!

That's how they get me and I end up spending all my money :(

Smash88

Banned
wienke said:
You don't have 5 dollars! Come on man!

That's how they get me and I end up spending all my money :(

So everyone and their mother is going to be spending 95% of their income on steam and the rest goes to rent/mortgage and ramen noodles? :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Easy_D said:
So I bought Metro 2033 during the sale, runs great and looks great. Playing in DX11 mode using High settings, runs buttery smooth for the most part :D. Love the smoke effects in the game.

I thought being on a Dual Core would mean the game wouldn't run well at all but obviously that isn't the case :)
Oh god it even runs good at Very High settings. This game looks so good.

Anyway, has anyone encountered this weird shadow bug while on the surface? The realtime shadows move around depending on which angle you're viewing them at and how close you are to the object the shadows are projecting on to.

Basically, the shadows on the surface have fucked up majorly.

Easy_D said:
Oh god it even runs good at Very High settings. This game looks so good.

Anyway, has anyone encountered this weird shadow bug while on the surface? The realtime shadows move around depending on which angle you're viewing them at and how close you are to the object the shadows are projecting on to.

Well that sucks. :( I didn't buy it because I was afraid it wouldn't run very well on my dual core. Is your's overclocked at all? What's your GPU?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well that sucks. :( I didn't buy it because I was afraid it wouldn't run very well on my dual core. Is your's overclocked at all? What's your GPU?
Nope. Stock E8500 @ 3.16ghz
GPU is a Radeon 5870 1gB

I'm currently playing GTA EFLC and the performance isn't up to snuff. It's playable enough at around 30-40 in sparse traffic but once I get into more dense areas it goes into the low 20s. The slow down is pretty nauseating.

I'm running a a Q6600 @ 3.2GHz and a 5850 that's overclocked a bit. Would I get a significant performance boost with a better CPU? I might just finish up TBoGT and hold off until I do my Sandy Bridge build until I play TLatD. How well does the game run on an overclocked i7 as reference?

Drkirby said:

Northern states? As in, where Jewish people predominantly live?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Easy_D said:

Yup, I get that. It also happens in the STALKER games. Very annoying. Didn't some people from the STALKER games get involved in this, or something? Maybe the same asshole graphics programmer who hates Radeons coded it for both.

TheExodu5

Banned
toasty_T said:
I'm currently playing GTA EFLC and the performance isn't up to snuff. It's playable enough at around 30-40 in sparse traffic but once I get into more dense areas it goes into the low 20s. The slow down is pretty nauseating.

I'm running a a Q6600 @ 3.2GHz and a 5850 that's overclocked a bit. Would I get a significant performance boost with a better CPU? I might just finish up TBoGT and hold off until I do my Sandy Bridge build until I play TLatD. How well does the game run on an overclocked i7 as reference?

Just turn down the sliders. You should have the sliders below 20 if you want to keep it in line with the console version.

poweld

dollartaco said:
Northern states? As in, where Jewish people predominantly live?
All of this is irrelevant. Hannukah is only important because of latkes. Latkes covered in apple sauce and sour cream.

Now I have to clean all of this drool off my keyboard
wait, that's not drool!

ArjanN

faceless007 said:

I bought very little this time, I owned most of the stuff in this sale already and the rest I wasn't interested in. I imagine it'll be mostly the same for the holidays sale. At some point you just own most of the games on Steam you're interested in.

Of course during the holiday they might add some stuff to Steam that wasn't available on it before, or only in certain regions. I remember there were a few games like that last time.

Salaadin

ArjanN said:
I bought very little this time, I owned most of the stuff in this sale already and the rest I wasn't interested in. I imagine it'll be mostly the same for the holidays sale. At some point you just own most of the games on Steam you're interested in.

Of course during the holiday they might add some stuff to Steam that wasn't available on it before, or only in certain regions. I remember there were a few games like that last time.

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 30 pack please. 50 cents each!

Is the Ranger mode found in Metro 2033 similar to what Delta is to Crysis? I'm tempted to start out on Ranger hardcore, it seems like the sort of game where the heightened tension would add to the experience.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
BobsRevenge said:
Yup, I get that. It also happens in the STALKER games. Very annoying. Didn't some people from the STALKER games get involved in this, or something? Maybe the same asshole graphics programmer who hates Radeons coded it for both.
Don't experience it at all in the STALKER games, all those sexy realtime shadows work just fine :\

Let's just blame ATI and their drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom