• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

not about steam but:

does d2d's comrade have auto-updating? i've been downloading all my d2d games just as install files since i don't want more tiny programs on my computer than i have to, but if it does then i'll go for that.

John said:
not about steam but:

does d2d's comrade have auto-updating? i've been downloading all my d2d games just as install files since i don't want more tiny programs on my computer than i have to, but if it does then i'll go for that.
I don't use Comrade, but previous things I've downloaded just through the site have come completely unpatched. Dunno if that's different in the client though.

Forkball

I beat Puzzle Agent last night. The presentation and story really kept me hooked. The puzzles were somewhat vague though and you ran into the occasional repeats, but there were some good ones and I liked how they tied into the scenario instead of just puzzles for puzzles sake. I think the ending will rub a lot of people the wrong way, but it's obvious that Telltale will add more episodes if this one is successful enough. For $10 it's a bit too expensive for a 3-5 hour game, but I'd recommend it if you got it at a cheaper price. Like me, who bought it in the Indie Story pack so it was technically a dollar.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
No, Gaf has this disgustingly cheap community that clogs up the Steam threads.

I mean, hey, I'm all for great deals, but Geezus Gat-daymn CHROIST, some of you people.

Joe Molotov

Getting cheap games is awesome, but sometimes you have to blow the cobwebs out of the ol' wallet and pony up some cash.

Having said that, I'm hoping Steam does a deal on BFBC2 where you get get the original game and the expansion for like $20. ;)

BioHazard

Joe Molotov said:
Getting cheap games is awesome, but sometimes you have to blow the cobwebs out of the ol' wallet and pony up some cash.

Having said that, I'm hoping Steam does a deal on BFBC2 where you get get the original game and the expansion for like $20. ;)

Would buy

Cheech

Joe Molotov said:

I paid $60 to Steam for Civ V Deluxe, and it was the best gaming money I spent all year.

WTF? Is this serious?

NO BROWNIE OR DR FETUS BOSSES I'm a moron and forgot to upload the boss files for Dr. Fetus and Brownie. Players would play their stages and see no bosses. I uploaded them now, they are in.

TheExodu5

Banned
Twig said:
I like how ten dollars is now too expensive for 3-5 hours.

When your backlog is as big as mine, unless the game is exception (Portal, World of Goo), it is.

Of course, I'm more concerned about game quality rather than length.

Forkball

Twig said:
I like how ten dollars is now too expensive for 3-5 hours.
There are so many cheap games now on PC and iOS that you really have to consider all your options. I paid $10 for Team Fortress 2 and I've certainly got more than 3-5 hours out of that. Not to mention KotOR was on sale last week for $2.50, and that's a 20+ hour RPG. We have access to more games than ever before that even something as cheap as $10 doesn't make it an insta-buy since you have many other options for the same price or cheaper.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Forkball said:
There are so many cheap games now on PC and iOS that you really have to consider all your options. I paid $10 for Team Fortress 2 and I've certainly got more than 3-5 hours out of that. Not to mention KotOR was on sale last week for $2.50, and that's a 20+ hour RPG. We have access to more games than ever before that even something as cheap as $10 doesn't make it an insta-buy since you have many other options for the same price or cheaper.
People were debating buying HL2 + Episodes because they already owned TF2/Portal and those were included in the 7.50$ Orange Box sale. There is a reason some of us make snide remarks about cheap bitches.

MNC

Fucking hell, RUSH looks great. Definitely going to buy... What's it priced at? I hope it's not 10 bucks for some 3-5 hour game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TheExodu5 said:
When your backlog is as big as mine, unless the game is exception (Portal, World of Goo), it is.

Of course, I'm more concerned about game quality rather than length.
The cure for the backlog is to base your purchases on what you want to play at the moment, regardless of the price. It sounds counter-intuitive but you'll end up getting more value out of your spending.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Excuses, excuses, excuses.

If the game is good, it's good. Ten bucks for 3-5 hours is a pretty fucking good deal if it's the kind of game you know you like.

I don't buy that many new games, either, because my backlog is huge. Probably bigger than yours. I feel safe in saying that because it is huge. But when I saw Super Meat Boy finally on Steam I bought it in an instant, and would have bought it even without the preorder discount. Basically, what SapientWolf said above.

Because I realize this post makes me sound like I think I'm better than all of you, I'm going to make a point of saying that I am better than all of you. F yeah.

AcridMeat

Banned
SapientWolf said:
The cure for the backlog is to base your purchases on what you want to play at the moment, regardless of the price. It sounds counter-intuitive but you'll end up getting more value out of your spending.

This is how I've treated steam since I built my PC in 08. :D

edit: Though I've had my share of impulse sale buys.

UrbanRats

Someone kind enough to link me that lighting mod for Dirt 2?I bought it off steam during the sales.. :p can't find an |OT| though.

Blizzard

Banned
Joe Molotov said:

I always figured getting a game as cheaply as possible is a whole metagame! You get involved in group packs, gifting, weekend sales, all sorts of crazy things. If you get that game for $3.50 instead of $5.00, you WIN! :D

Basically, my philosophy is it's nice to save money, nice to generate sales when things are on sale (thus hopefully encouraging more sales), and nice to get games I'm not super-interested in when they are cheap. Some games, even with great prices, I don't even care enough about to buy. Some of the Indie games were this way, for instance, i.e. because I'd tried their demos (like Flotilla).

If a game really interests me or I really like the developer I might buy it earlier or at a higher price. I was not a fan of L4D2, still am not a fan of L4D2, have mixed feelings about a couple of things Valve has done...but I will almost certainly preorder Portal 2 as soon as it is available. I expect that game will be well worth it and I'm really interested in it. I think I bought one of the STALKER games right after it came out even though I never finished the first game, to give another example.

Summary of random ramblings: Sales are great for things you don't feel strongly about. On the other hand, if you really like something and you can afford it, then hey you can get immediate gratification!

Joe Molotov

Well, Arcadia's really cool....for like 5 minutes. The dev said he's working on some new stuff, but right now it's rather sparse. Just fly around a little grid and shoot little blobby things.

BioHazard

Joe Molotov said:
Well, Arcadia's really cool....for like 5 minutes. The dev said he's working on some new stuff, but right now it's rather sparse. Just fly around a little grid and shoot little blobby things.

How's Iron Roses? :lol

Blizzard

Banned

classicdms

Neo Member
I've got a question and since I'm still a junior and can't make my own threads, this seems like the best place to put it.

I've got probably 5 or 6 games on Steam that are old as fuck but I'd still like to play them. Graphics make it hard though. I just found out about the Deus Ex DirectX10 Renderer because of the GFWL sale. Super simple, loaded it up and it looks completely playable to me now.

I had done random google searches before, for mods for Deus Ex but came up with nothing. Other games I'd be interested in finding graphics mods for are stuff like KOTOR and Max Payne, and the original Prince of Persia games.

I know mod.db exists but is there another centralized place that I can use to find ways to fuck with games?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
classicdms said:
I had done random google searches before, for mods for Deus Ex but came up with nothing. Other games I'd be interested in finding graphics mods for are stuff like KOTOR and Max Payne, and the original Prince of Persia games.
You should respect the original art. Also, most of the games you listed don't have graphics mods or the mods are still incomplete.

UrbanRats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom