• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
gregor7777 said:
IIRC RPS had some good things to say. I think I'll bite. My kids loved Toki Tori.
The Rush demo was apparently broken, but according to the Steam forums it should be back up later today, hopefully.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished the Rush tutorial levels and the first 8 or so easy puzzles, shit is really good. There is something incredibly pleasing about watching the blocks move in-sync.

Joe Molotov

HOW DOES IT KNOW???

80xGM.jpg

Joe Molotov

It's an Action-MMO. It got trashed by critics on release, but apparently they've overhauled it a lot since then, so I'm giving it a whirl. Only $10 and you get two free months.

epmode

Stallion Free said:
Just finished the Rush tutorial levels and the first 8 or so easy puzzles, shit is really good. There is something incredibly pleasing about watching the blocks move in-sync.
That's good enough for me!

$4.50 for a brand new game is pretty neat.

dream

Joe Molotov said:
It's an Action-MMO. It got trashed by critics on release, but apparently they've overhauled it a lot since then, so I'm giving it a whirl. Only $10 and you get two free months.

Huh. Looks kind of APBish. Can you throw up a yea or nay after you try it out?

benjipwns

Banned
Remy said:
You're one to talk, Mr. Gaming Standoff.

Anyhow, I wasn't aware the game had been pulled, and oddly enough, a whole mess of games have been removed over time. Simplz Zoo fell off in mid-November, but here's the list from the Steam forums:
You can still install Codename Gordon though: steam://install/92

Not that I have any idea why you'd want to.

ne1

JoshuaJSlone said:
Is there anything for Steam like the Camel price tracking sites? Could be interesting to see how often and how far something has gone on sale. I tried asking Google about Camelizer for Steam, but it is DAMN sure I really am wanting information on caramelized things.
Stumpokapow said:
Steamprices.com has also added a tracking feature, but they've only been at it since september this year.
For example this is their TF2 history.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Wait a second. Are you telling me that one game has almost A THOUDAND DOLLARS of DLC?

vocab

Leatherface said:
not @ $199.99 it won't. :O

I don't think you understand how popular this game is. The steam forums has like 44 pages (bigger than like 90% of the games), and some people have put up to 1000 hours into rail works. I did something like that with Counter Strike, and can't even wrap my head around putting 1000 hours into a train sim.

Twig said:
You're completely missing the point.

My issue is not with taking advantage of sales. It is with people being fucking stupid.

And, yes, it is cheapness sometimes.

COUGH BLOODLINES COUGH COUGH COUGH

Uh.. well People being fucking stupid is a bit of a vague argument. I happen also to agree that people shouldn't be stupid. However I don't agree passing up sale a is stupid. Steam has created it's own little world of really wonky value propositions that become extremely unique to each individual due to the incredible choice and price point available.

And perhaps I'll regret asking, but what's your deal with Bloodlines since you keep mentioning it?

Leatherface

vocab said:
I don't think you understand how popular this game is. The steam forums has like 44 pages (bigger than like 90% of the games), and some people have put up to 1000 hours into rail works. I did something like that with Counter Strike, and can't even wrap my head around putting 1000 hours into a train sim.

True as that may be, I doubt there are enough people out there willing to shell out $200 to take this game to #1. Hell, I bet it won't make it to the top 5.

Leatherface said:
True as that may be, I doubt there are enough people out there willing to shell out $200 to take this game to #1. Hell, I bet it won't make it to the top 5.

Oh, it won't get to #1 but it may hit the top 10 which is what I was saying.

Blizzard

Banned
Leatherface said:
It doesn't seem to show up as a normal special, so I don't know how much attention it would get. Plus, I feel like people who would buy the DLC are not super numerous -and- they may already have some or most of it so it actually might not be such a deal for them.

By the way, the Rush demo is available on Steam again. Judging from screenshots, I would agree that the bloom may be a bit much. It would be nice to have a slider option. The screenshots remind me of Mirror's Edge though. I almost want to make Mirror's Edge maps that look like the blocky puzzles. :lol I think a key factor in Rush for me may be whether it has awesome music. Take Shatter for example...the music is one of the things that makes the experience more enjoyable.

cicero

SapientWolf said:
The cure for the backlog is to base your purchases on what you want to play at the moment, regardless of the price. It sounds counter-intuitive but you'll end up getting more value out of your spending.
How would you get more value out of a game that you could wait to purchase in a sale? The selection of cheap quality PC titles is so huge now with services like GOG and Steam that a person could easily find great games to play until some of the newer higher priced titles have been reduced in price. It's not as if PC gamers have any kind of higher moral obligation to try to buy at full retail as much as possible.

Twig said:
Excuses, excuses, excuses.

If the game is good, it's good. Ten bucks for 3-5 hours is a pretty fucking good deal if it's the kind of game you know you like.

I don't buy that many new games, either, because my backlog is huge. Probably bigger than yours. I feel safe in saying that because it is huge. But when I saw Super Meat Boy finally on Steam I bought it in an instant, and would have bought it even without the preorder discount. Basically, what SapientWolf said above.

Because I realize this post makes me sound like I think I'm better than all of you, I'm going to make a point of saying that I am better than all of you. F yeah.
Complaining about other people who are choosing to wait for a sale to maximize the amount of titles they can buy with their limited funds is simply inane.

I wouldn't have bought Super Meat Boy without the discount. Why should I when I know it will be on sale eventually? If I like the developer or there is some special reason to go out of my way to pre-order a game to help fund the development of a title I want, or if there is some special reason why even a donation is needed, I would do it. But again, that is based on personal reasons where one would find some added value in whatever action they chose. Complaints about personal choices like that are just inane bitching.

"Ten bucks for 3-5 hours is a pretty fucking good deal" Not for me it isn't. I have better things to spend my money on. I can wait it down unless it is something absolutely brilliant, or enough people I know are playing it and the community aspect to purchasing a title and playing it together kicks in. My "backlog" is 180+ on steam alone, book/ebook "backlog" is probably like 500+, I can find something else to occupy my time...

Leatherface

LovingSteam said:
Oh, it won't get to #1 but it may hit the top 10 which is what I was saying.

I'm pretty sure you proclaimed that you wouldn't be surprised if it reached #1 in the top 10, or at least agreed to that statement. Maybe I'm crazy though?

*checks like 8 posts up*

Nope. Not crazy. :p

j/k

..but still, even top 10 is pushing it for a pack that expensive. Think of the number of people buying shit on Steam every day. I'm sure this game is VERY popular with a select group of people. Vocal as they may be about it in the forums, that does not = top 10 sales.

Blizzard

Banned
Judging from the demo, the Rush music is pretty repetitive and not that special. The graphics are decent if you turn the anti-aliasing option on (I'm not sure what use the other visual modes are, unless you're on a netbook or something). There is too much bloom though. A slider would be nice. A list of (configurable?) keyboard commands would be nice too, maybe that exists in some form.

It seems like a cool puzzle game that could be quite good with a few improvements. I may get it anyway. The biggest oddity to me, at least in the demo version, was that there doesn't seem to be any indicator when you have actually beaten a level. You would expect there to be a checkmark or something so you can be a completionist, especially since the levels seem to unlock in random order and only be identified by a white glowing 3D model.

Leatherface said:
I'm pretty sure you proclaimed that you wouldn't be surprised if it reached #1 in the top 10, or at least agreed to that statement. Maybe I'm crazy though?

*checks like 8 posts up*

Nope. Not crazy. :p

j/k

..but still, even top 10 is pushing it for a pack that expensive. Think of the number of people buying shit on Steam every day. I'm sure this game is VERY popular with a select group of people. Vocal as they may be about it in the forums, that does not = top 10 sales.

Ahh you're right. I could have sworn it said #10. My bad.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
Judging from the demo, the Rush music is pretty repetitive and not that special. The graphics are decent if you turn the anti-aliasing option on (I'm not sure what use the other visual modes are, unless you're on a netbook or something). There is too much bloom though. A slider would be nice. A list of (configurable?) keyboard commands would be nice too, maybe that exists in some form.

It seems like a cool puzzle game that could be quite good with a few improvements. I may get it anyway. The biggest oddity to me, at least in the demo version, was that there doesn't seem to be any indicator when you have actually beaten a level. You would expect there to be a checkmark or something so you can be a completionist, especially since the levels seem to unlock in random order and only be identified by a white glowing 3D model.
When you beat a level it loses the glow behind it.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
When you beat a level it loses the glow behind it.
Ah, thanks. It would probably be more obvious with the full version and more levels unlocked. I think you said it was satisfying when the blocks were marching in sync. I agree...when they are rolling quickly in some big complex configuration and not colliding, it's rather rewarding. :)

Javaman

Zachack said:
I'd be curious if someone at Valve or THQ/Eidos/etc ever ran numbers but I'd be willing to bet that what you're proposing would lose them a good chunk of cash due to the creation of a secondary market. Particularly given the value of those bundles during the xmas sale.

It would be fuzzy math at best since there's no way to account for people who would have bought the pack but didn't because they can't gift the extras.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
vocab said:

I mean...you there are no levels, there is no loot, and worst of all THERE ARE NO FUCKING HATS! How can people play this for that long?

John

dream said:
Huh. Looks kind of APBish. Can you throw up a yea or nay after you try it out?
for a while it was best buy-exclusive. that's right. the retailer funded and claimed exclusivity to an mmo.

Twig

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
Uh.. well People being fucking stupid is a bit of a vague argument.
And it's gonna stay that way!

And perhaps I'll regret asking, but what's your deal with Bloodlines since you keep mentioning it?
Absolutely no beef with Bloodlines. But for two years now people have been saying "just waiting for that sale OH MAN OH BOY GIMME A SALE VALVE!!!" and it hasn't happened. And they refuse to buy it without a sale.

If you've been specifically waiting for a single game for two goddamn years, just buy it you stupid babby mans.

cicero said:
Complaining about other people who are choosing to wait for a sale to maximize the amount of titles they can buy with their limited funds is simply inane.
Well, it's a good thing that's not what I'm doing, then! Phew!

Joe Molotov

Beat all the Easy levels on Rush, it was pretty fun. Not too hard so far (I only used hints on one level) but I'm sure it'll ramp up pretty quick now. I looked at one of the Bonus Levels (Blackhole) and it made my brain melt. :lol

VALIS

Joe Molotov said:
You losers should have bought SimplzZoo when you had the chance, now only me and Remy own this rare game.

I own it, too. And have actually put 3 or so hours into it. It's pretty lame, but whatever, it's a laptop-in-bed-while-falling-asleep game.

Then again, you and I own every Steam game. (You: 563, Me: 667)

Blizzard

Banned
Man, I'm actually...pretty impressed with Just Cause 2 and Square-Enix (or at least the London studio). I got the game in the $7.50 group pack recently, and finally made myself try it out, since I hardly ever play games anymore.

I'm playing on normal difficulty. Using the grappling hook and parachute are crazy, it seems pretty hard to die, and the guns have auto-aim so enemies aren't too frustrating thus far. I feel like the game will end up being short it's so action-oriented, but from the size of the island it looks like there may be a lot of buildings to hunt and blow up.

It is awesome how smooth the game is though, and how there is hardly any loading. I have not seen more than a couple of seconds loading between cutscenes, and even the start of pretty big maps seem to only take maybe 5-10 seconds. Other than that, you can grapple yourself all over these crazy structures, and the jumping mechanic is such that it works quite well in general.

I'm sure there are flaws. The mechanic for picking up weapons/ammo and such is a little confusing to me. I am not fond of the QTEs to take out pilots, but they are easy enough on normal difficulty so far so that's not a big deal. If I look closely through the hazy filter, I can see jaggies at 4xAA, but overall it looks good and the draw distance seems to be so far that I really don't mind. With everything maxed besides 4xAA, my 5850 happily gets 40-60 fps at 1680x1050, down to 30-something when there are big explosions near me.

And there are even multiple save slots! So basically, it's like someone made a PC game that looks pretty nice and performs well and gives you lots of freedom. That's neat!

Joe Molotov

VALIS said:
I own it, too. And have actually put 3 or so hours into it. It's pretty lame, but whatever, it's a laptop-in-bed-while-falling-asleep game.

Then again, you and I own every Steam game. (You: 563, Me: 667)

I actually beat it, but I have a soft spot for match-3 games. The actual zoo part of Simplz Zoo is pretty pointless, you can just stick stuff anywhere with no regard for aesthetics or function and it doesn't make any difference. The only reason to even do it is that it gives you power-ups during the match-3 parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom