• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Blizzard said:
Man, I'm actually...pretty impressed with Just Cause 2 and Square-Enix (or at least the London studio). I got the game in the $7.50 group pack recently, and finally made myself try it out, since I hardly ever play games anymore.

I'm playing on normal difficulty. Using the grappling hook and parachute are crazy, it seems pretty hard to die, and the guns have auto-aim so enemies aren't too frustrating thus far. I feel like the game will end up being short it's so action-oriented, but from the size of the island it looks like there may be a lot of buildings to hunt and blow up.

It is awesome how smooth the game is though, and how there is hardly any loading. I have not seen more than a couple of seconds loading between cutscenes, and even the start of pretty big maps seem to only take maybe 5-10 seconds. Other than that, you can grapple yourself all over these crazy structures, and the jumping mechanic is such that it works quite well in general.

I'm sure there are flaws. The mechanic for picking up weapons/ammo and such is a little confusing to me. I am not fond of the QTEs to take out pilots, but they are easy enough on normal difficulty so far so that's not a big deal. If I look closely through the hazy filter, I can see jaggies at 4xAA, but overall it looks good and the draw distance seems to be so far that I really don't mind. With everything maxed besides 4xAA, my 5850 happily gets 40-60 fps at 1680x1050, down to 30-something when there are big explosions near me.

And there are even multiple save slots! So basically, it's like someone made a PC game that looks pretty nice and performs well and gives you lots of freedom. That's neat!
Once you start getting into it, you'll be surprised how little you do the story and how much you just sandbox the fucker. A lot of people will suggest getting into the mods for unlimited ammo but it's far more fun finding weapons for yourself.

You haven't lived until you've grappled a person to the back of your motorcycle :lol

Hey guys, retard here in need of help. How the fuck do I change what credit/debit card Steam charges to when buying stuff? Basically, where do I change billing information?

Muchos gratias.

MNC said:
When you buy stuff, you get to the billing information.

Oh. Well cheers. It'd be nice to just have something on my account page that said 'CHANGE BILLING INFO'.

Welp, off to get VVVVV and Meat Boy.

benjipwns

Banned
slidewinder said:
Is it known why this sometimes happens with non-steam-game shortcuts?
xMZDq.png

Seems like I've had this issue on and off forever.
They fixed it once but it came back like a bunch of other bugs they've fixed just to have show back up a few months later.

It might happen when you run the game. I haven't run any of my handful of non-Steam games in a few months through Steam and the Shortcuts stopped multiplying, but when I was playing them they'd multiply shortly after.

There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance.

Is this familiar to anyone? I've already contacted Support, before anyone says that. It comes up every time I click Continue on the payment page.

EDIT: S'all good now.

Try restarting Steam or try to buy through your browser.

The same thing happened to me on the last day of the recent sale and buying through the my web browser worked.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Ricker said:
Did anyone try Winter Voices and Grotesque Tactics...i`m interested in these 2 games...

I would not recommend Winter Voices. Wanted to like it, and I do appreciate what it sets out to do, but the combat is absurdly slow and it occurs far too often, especially in the latter half. Combat is occasionally cryptic as well for no real reason. I've only played the prologue though. There was a new episode released last week, I think, which might address its issues, but I haven't bothered and I somehow doubt anything was fixed anyway.

So yeah, save your money for something better.

jet1911

Blizzard said:
Man, I'm actually...pretty impressed with Just Cause 2 and Square-Enix (or at least the London studio). I got the game in the $7.50 group pack recently, and finally made myself try it out, since I hardly ever play games anymore.

I'm playing on normal difficulty. Using the grappling hook and parachute are crazy, it seems pretty hard to die, and the guns have auto-aim so enemies aren't too frustrating thus far. I feel like the game will end up being short it's so action-oriented, but from the size of the island it looks like there may be a lot of buildings to hunt and blow up.

It is awesome how smooth the game is though, and how there is hardly any loading. I have not seen more than a couple of seconds loading between cutscenes, and even the start of pretty big maps seem to only take maybe 5-10 seconds. Other than that, you can grapple yourself all over these crazy structures, and the jumping mechanic is such that it works quite well in general.

I'm sure there are flaws. The mechanic for picking up weapons/ammo and such is a little confusing to me. I am not fond of the QTEs to take out pilots, but they are easy enough on normal difficulty so far so that's not a big deal. If I look closely through the hazy filter, I can see jaggies at 4xAA, but overall it looks good and the draw distance seems to be so far that I really don't mind. With everything maxed besides 4xAA, my 5850 happily gets 40-60 fps at 1680x1050, down to 30-something when there are big explosions near me.

And there are even multiple save slots! So basically, it's like someone made a PC game that looks pretty nice and performs well and gives you lots of freedom. That's neat!

Just Cause 2 <3 <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDjqNcp7G0

Holy SHIT VVVVV is fun. I loved the Flash demo already, mind, but holy crap. The music is just amazing. I've only rescued 2 members of the crew so far as well, by God I'm gonna get all those trinkets :lol Well worth the the £3.99 (!!!).

Salaadin

Anyone have issues getting Nyxquest working? I start it up, it hangs on a black screen, and then I eventually get a "Nyxquest has stopped working" error.

EDIT: Its a tripple buffering issue. If I uncheck the OpenGL triple buffering box in CCC, it works fine.

Schlomo

I bought Aliens vs Predator in the recent sale but can't get the Wireless Xbox controller to work for the life of me. It works with every single other game I have, but here I can switch on pad support in the menu but none of the buttons on my controller work. Weird. Does anyone know of a solution?

Joe Molotov

Schlomo said:
I bought Aliens vs Predator in the recent sale but can't get the Wireless Xbox controller to work for the life of me. It works with every single other game I have, but here I can switch on pad support in the menu but none of the buttons on my controller work. Weird. Does anyone know of a solution?

There are some games that have issues detecting the wireless 360 pad. I know Dead Rising 2 and Bioshock 2 do, I'm not sure about AvP.

Ledsen

Joe Molotov said:
There are some games that have issues detecting the wireless 360 pad. I know Dead Rising 2 and Bioshock 2 do, I'm not sure about AvP.

Bioshock 2 doesn't even have controller support.

1-D_FTW

Ledsen said:

Not that I'd ever want to use a controller for it, but how? I thought that was supposed to be one of GFW's big initiatives. They had to meet certain standards.

Polk

1-D_FTW said:
Not that I'd ever want to use a controller for it, but how? I thought that was supposed to be one of GFW's big initiatives. They had to meet certain standards.
There's no requirement of adding controller support in GFW games. But if they would use it, it had to support 360 pad.

Jubs

I have a question about the upcoming Christmas sale.

How is it set up? Is it similar to the Thanksgiving sale, where select titles are discounted day-to-day? Or is it like the Summer sale, where (almost)everything is discounted, and then a few titles are selected daily for bigger discounts? I ask because the EA Store is having a buy 2/get 50% off sale, and I'm eyeballing Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age. But I rather buy those two through Steam, as I don't want to deal with EA's DRM policy. So... can I expect a huge library of games to have their prices slashed for Christmas, which hopefully will include ME2 and DA?

Jubs said:
Or is it like the Summer sale, where (almost)everything is discounted, and then a few titles are selected daily for bigger discounts?

It's typically like that. They'll have a larger list of items on sale that lasts the entire duration and then they will have different deals for each day.

Jubs

Basileus777 said:
It's typically like that. They'll have a larger list of items on sale that lasts the entire duration and then they will have different deals for each day.

Thanks. I'll take my chances with Steam then.

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
Just Cause 2 love letter

I have to agree with pretty much all of this. I've had no performance issues, crashes, glitches, etc. Setup is a breeze (especially with a 360 controller), you're in the game in a matter of seconds, and it's fun as hell to play. So odd that it's a console port, but god damn some people should be taking notes on JC2, this is how a PC game is done.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ricker said:
Did anyone try Winter Voices and Grotesque Tactics...i`m interested in these 2 games...
Grotesque has a demo, though it's in German (I think it's German) .

Blizzard

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Just Cause 2 surprised me too. It's really smooth and "clean" for a console port PC game. The loading every time you die blows, though.
I guess I should be glad I haven't died then. I just checked, and my loading time from my most recent save, near some HQs early in the game, is just under 6 seconds with a stopwatch unless I'm missing something obvious. That's excellent time for a complete load in my book. Are loading times after you die longer?

Orellio said:
I have to agree with pretty much all of this. I've had no performance issues, crashes, glitches, etc. Setup is a breeze (especially with a 360 controller), you're in the game in a matter of seconds, and it's fun as hell to play. So odd that it's a console port, but god damn some people should be taking notes on JC2, this is how a PC game is done.

Isn't Just Cause 2 DX10 only? I think just having that should tell you that the devs took the PC port seriously..

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone about Just Cause 2. I love how it has the benchmark option, and it even picked a great optimal config for me. I changed the setting to something I usually would go for in most games, and the config it chose for me ran much smoother. The game is gorgeous and ridiculously fun, and I am only an hour into it. I can't wait to play more, but I have a paper to write.

I wish more console to PC ports were this smooth.

I still have an nvidia store game download coupon for Hawx 2 that I am looking to trade for F1 2010 on steam. Would anybody be interested??

Blizzard said:
Are loading times after you die longer?
No. If you die in a mission, it loads the last checkpoint save. If you die outside of one, you "continue" by respawning at the nearest stronghold, which is not instant, but definitely doesn't take longer than a save load.

IrishNinja

Ledsen said:

this is disappointing, was kinda hoping for a Bioshock bundle during the holiday sale. oh well, i was meaning to sort xpadder anyway.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just don't see the people who shell out the money for the pricy Railworks DLC being the same people who would wait for them to be bundled up at this price. Bundle up a bunch of DLC and sell it for $5 or $10, and you could get the cheap people, but at that price :Lol

Baha

Drkirby said:
I just don't see the people who shell out the money for the pricy Railworks DLC being the same people who would wait for them to be bundled up at this price. Bundle up a bunch of DLC and sell it for $5 or $10, and you could get the cheap people, but at that price :Lol

I dunno, Christmas is right around the corner. I could see someone buying the game + the dlc pack for someone as a gift.

Schlomo said:

Wireless pad working great here. Win7 64

Schlomo

gregor7777 said:
Wireless pad working great here. Win7 64

I'm also on Win7 64... and I still haven't got it to work. The fact that I have to deal with shit like this for almost every single game I buy is the reason PC gaming will always be a love/hate relationship for me.

Forkball

Drkirby said:
18cc3l.jpg

What a deal!
It's a great deal since you save $740. Tell me a better deal on Steam!

But the individual DLC pricing for this game is insane. You know you're doing it wrong when the DLC is more than the actual game.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Forkball said:

But the individual DLC pricing for this game is insane. You know you're doing it wrong when the DLC is more than the actual game.

Totally agree with you

Zzoram

Forkball said:

They're obviously not doing it wrong if they've been selling enough DLC to justify making so much more DLC.

Ledsen

Forkball said:

Railworks isn't Gears of War or Uncharted... it's a train simulator. Pretty much the whole point of the game is to have your favourite trains and routes represented in the game. They obviously can't include them all in the base game, so it makes total sense to have them as DLC. Compare it with Rock Band or something, the base game is just a platform and then you pick and choose from a huge catalog of things you want in it.

Ledsen said:
Railworks isn't Gears of War or Uncharted... it's a train simulator. Pretty much the whole point of the game is to have your favourite trains and routes represented in the game. They obviously can't include them all in the base game, so it makes total sense to have them as DLC. Compare it with Rock Band or something, the base game is just a platform and then you pick and choose from a huge catalog of things you want in it.
How much does Rock Band DLC cost?

And as others said on Reddit, buying an actual model engine is more money than the price of the individual packs anyways. Seems like people hate on simulators that don't go for cheap without ever playing them. I'll probably never buy the game but it does interest me.

VGChampion said:
And as others said on Reddit, buying an actual model engine is more money than the price of the individual packs anyways. Seems like people hate on simulators that don't go for cheap without ever playing them. I'll probably never buy the game but it does interest me.
If they do the GT5 thing of actually recreating these engines at a super-accurate level, I could see how it could be pretty expensive for them to produce, and that could justify the high price. Especially since the total player base of a train sim is way smaller than the Gran Turismo audience.

I don't know how much work goes into the Railworks stuff, though. They could just be gouging people because they can.

ZZMitch

Forkball said:

Sounds like Team Fortress 2 :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom