• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of price has GTA IV + episodes been going for on Steam in recent sales? Found a decent price on the 360/PS3 versions and I'm debating on whether or not I should hold out for hoping it will be on the Steam Holiday Sale.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Wait for the Holiday sale. GTA4 should be cheap, $5 range, and the episodes were $15 during the last sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Monroeski said:
What kind of price has GTA IV + episodes been going for on Steam in recent sales? Found a decent price on the 360/PS3 versions and I'm debating on whether or not I should hold out for hoping it will be on the Steam Holiday Sale.
Episodes alone were 10$ on the recent sale.

I think GTA4 has been as low as 7.50$?

I wonder if Red Dead will ever come to PC. I think we have passed the amount of time that was between the console GTA4 and the the PC release.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wish you could give away Steam games you own. I need to offload GTAIV because I completely forgot it had Securom when I bought it at 7.49 during the summer sale.

kswiston

Lyphen said:
Wish you could give away Steam games you own. I need to offload GTAIV because I completely forgot it had Securom when I bought it at 7.49 during the summer sale.

They need to find a way to let you gift games you are buying a second time on steam first. I bought 4 out of the 6 indie packs during last week's sale, and I already owned at least one of the 5 games offered in each of those packs. Would have been nice to gift my extra copy of World of Goo or Plain Sight. I would have purchased the other two packs if this was the case. I didn't want to spend $5 on a pack where I already owned 3 of the 5 games offered, but if I could have given away those extra games as cheap gifts, I would have been more likely to do so.

Same goes for the larger publisher packs. The THQ pack is always tempting, but I already own a ton of games in it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lyphen said:
Yeah I have had some activation issues with those games that felt like I was slamming my head up against a brick wall. Backwards as fuck.

Hopefully any future games from Rockstar will just be Steamworks with no additional layers of bullshit.

Blizzard

Banned
John said:
i bought Bad Rats.
I've mostly managed to avoid terrible stuff. I made fun of Remy for Simplz: Zoo, but I ended up buying Railworks because I thought the free upgrade to Railworks 2 was a classy move on their part, and they apparently allow free fan content even though they sell DLC.

Puzzle Kingdoms and Numen: Contest of Heroes are probably the cheapest random purchases I've made, and may in fact be terrible. I haven't tried them yet. Other than that, no regrets yet
besides buying Borderlands at launch :lol
!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
I've mostly managed to avoid terrible stuff. I made fun of Remy for Simplz: Zoo, but I ended up buying Railworks because I thought the free upgrade to Railworks 2 was a classy move on their part, and they apparently allow free fan content even though they sell DLC.

Don't apologize - Railworks and Railworks 2 are fucking awesome and amazing, and there's nothing to regret. Let's run those trains!

Zachack

kswiston said:
They need to find a way to let you gift games you are buying a second time on steam first. I bought 4 out of the 6 indie packs during last week's sale, and I already owned at least one of the 5 games offered in each of those packs. Would have been nice to gift my extra copy of World of Goo or Plain Sight. I would have purchased the other two packs if this was the case. I didn't want to spend $5 on a pack where I already owned 3 of the 5 games offered, but if I could have given away those extra games as cheap gifts, I would have been more likely to do so.

Same goes for the larger publisher packs. The THQ pack is always tempting, but I already own a ton of games in it.
I'd be curious if someone at Valve or THQ/Eidos/etc ever ran numbers but I'd be willing to bet that what you're proposing would lose them a good chunk of cash due to the creation of a secondary market. Particularly given the value of those bundles during the xmas sale.

Salaadin

Hows the PC version of TR: Anniversary on Steam? I just beat Underworld and want more even though I played it on the PS2 back when it came out.

Blizzard

Banned
Sunflower said:
Don't apologize - Railworks and Railworks 2 are fucking awesome and amazing, and there's nothing to regret. Let's run those trains!
Oh I don't regret it, I just know people laugh at Railworks due to tons of DLC. (I don't buy the DLC)

About gifting stuff in the packs to people, I agree that the side market might be an issue. The new gifting packs are a recent development. Of course, I seem to recall stuff in the license agreements that say you technically can't sell your account, and I don't know if it's "legal" according to them to sell games, but it's become super commonplace for "gifting" packs to be shared purchases, and presumably that's intentional.

I also think Valve might save some money by just not giving out the duplicate copies to begin with. It's a trade-off to getting good sale prices in general.

Salaadin said:
Hows the PC version of TR: Anniversary on Steam? I just beat Underworld and want more even though I played it on the PS2 back when it came out.
Anniversary is fine on PS2 and PC, played it on PS2 myself and had an absolute blast. One of the most competent PS2 games visually. Looks great on PC but it was more expensive I think because PS2 was budget and might have had some pad issues.

Remy

Blizzard said:

You keep saying that like Simplz Zoo was a bad game or something. Outside of the creepy bad artwork and pointless zoo-building mode, it's actually a great match 3 game!

cicero

Remy said:
You keep saying that like Simplz Zoo was a bad game or something. Outside of the creepy bad artwork and pointless zoo-building mode, it's actually a great match 3 game!
I went to check out the screenshots after I saw that you bought it and...not so great. :lol

Looks like the game page is no longer up on Steam anymore. Maybe someone from Valve happened by the page and noticed those screenshots too and finally drew a line in the sand.

Enough is enough, man.

Salaadin said:

It's great. Runs like butter. Native 360 pad support.

Minsc

Gold Member
cicero said:
I went to check out the screenshots after I saw that you bought it and...not so great. :lol

Looks like the game page is no longer up on Steam anymore. Maybe someone from Valve happened by the page and noticed those screenshots too and finally drew a line in the sand.

Enough is enough, man.

I'll vouch for Simplz Zoo, it was an enjoyable Match-3 game. The zoo building is there to appeal to animal lovers - it also acted as a way to purchase in game power ups, as buying / ugrading the various zoo buildings adds powers in the Match-3 games, and also raises the resources needed to finish a level.

Far better imo than say something like Bejeweled 2 or 3, which bore me to tears.

Salaadin

stuminus3 said:
Glorious.
Visualante said:
Anniversary is fine on PS2 and PC, played it on PS2 myself and had an absolute blast. One of the most competent PS2 games visually. Looks great on PC but it was more expensive I think because PS2 was budget and might have had some pad issues.

Thanks.

I loved the hell out of it on PS2. It was so nice to see a more modern yet loyal take on TR1. It gave me such a huge nostalgia trip :D
Id like to own the PC version so Im glad to hear it retains its awesomeness.

Remy

cicero said:

Enough is enough, man.

You're one to talk, Mr. Gaming Standoff.

Anyhow, I wasn't aware the game had been pulled, and oddly enough, a whole mess of games have been removed over time. Simplz Zoo fell off in mid-November, but here's the list from the Steam forums:

APB: All Points Bulletin
Ancient Wars: Sparta
Attack on Pearl Harbor
Baseball Mogul 2008
Baseball Mogul 2009
Beijing Olympics 2008
Big Kahuna Reef
Codename Gordon
Commandos: Strike Force
Delta Force: Xtreme
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
Football Manager 2008
Football Manager 2009
Gemsweeper
The Godfather
The Godfather II
The Golden Compass
Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
The Movies
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Prey
Sega Rally Revo
Shattered Suns
Simplz Zoo
Smashing Toys
Speedball 2: Tournament
Stalin vs. Martians
ToCA Race Driver 3
Top Spin 2
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009

stuminus3

What's the deal with games getting pulled from Steam? I own the 360 version of Sega Rally Revo because I wasn't aware there was a PC version... I notice it's still on other DD services, so what happened to it on Steam?

Also a weird thing about ToCA3 - I bought the Codemasters Racing Pack a while ago, expecting 4 games (Dirt, Dirt 2, GRID, FUEL)... and ToCA3 was apparently included in the bundle, it appeared in my games list and I have it installed like any other game. However there's no mention of it anywhere. Is this some kind of weird licencing thing?

stuminus3 said:
What's the deal with games getting pulled from Steam? I own the 360 version of Sega Rally Revo because I wasn't aware there was a PC version... I notice it's still on other DD services, so what happened to it on Steam?

Also a weird thing about ToCA3 - I bought the Codemasters Racing Pack a while ago, expecting 4 games (Dirt, Dirt 2, GRID, FUEL)... and ToCA3 was apparently included in the bundle, it appeared in my games list and I have it installed like any other game. However there's no mention of it anywhere. Is this some kind of weird licencing thing?

With ToCA, yes. It was going to get pulled. But like any game on Steam, if you buy it, it will be in your account for good even if its removed from the store at a later date.

stuminus3

LovingSteam said:
With ToCA, yes. It was going to get pulled. But like any game on Steam, if you buy it, it will be in your account for good even if its removed from the store at a later date.
It was pulled long, long before I bought the pack though. I did notice that it used to be part of the pack when it was still available standalone. Maybe they just forgot to flip the switch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Remy said:

Anyhow, I wasn't aware the game had been pulled, and oddly enough, a whole mess of games have been removed over time. Simplz Zoo fell off in mid-November, but here's the list from the Steam forums:
Puzzlegeddon got pulled as well.

Joe Molotov

Remy said:

You losers should have bought SimplzZoo when you had the chance, now only me and Remy own this rare game.

NiceGorillaSharkHighFive.png

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I NEED SCISSORS said:
They probably just ran out of keys for the above games.
For Outrun 2006, I think Sega doesn't have the License for the Ferrari at the moment. Its also why it likely got a huge discount at the end of last year then got pulled (Why it came back for a month or two then got pulled again is beyond me though)

Oreoleo

Drkirby said:
For Outrun 2006, I think Sega doesn't have the License for the Ferrari at the moment. Its also why it likely got a huge discount at the end of last year then got pulled (Why it came back for a month or two then got pulled again is beyond me though)

Outrun also got pulled from the XBLA store, so I think this is pretty likely.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I feel pretty damn good owning Outrun. I think full price might have just been 10$ and that's incredibly hard to say no to.

Also, time to buy RUSH!!!

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Orellio said:
Outrun also got pulled from the XBLA store, so I think this is pretty likely.

For those of us who purchased it already though would we still be able to redownload if we forgot to backup? I still have a copy saved on my laptop but figured I would ask.

JADS

mikespit1200 said:
For those of us who purchased it already though would we still be able to redownload if we forgot to backup? I still have a copy saved on my laptop but figured I would ask.

Shows up on my Steam list and I can download it, same with Prey.

Twig

Banned
gregor7777 said:
:D

I don't see how. There's games I really want but like I said, I have plenty else to play and I can wait. For a sale. Because why spend $20 now when I can spend $10 later and play the same damn game?

Mind you I still buy full price games for things I must absolutely play now, but there are very few of those games.

and I bought Bloodlines at retail but I'm still waiting on a DD sale. :p
And therein lies the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom