• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

Gully State said:
Isn't Just Cause 2 DX10 only? I think just having that should tell you that the devs took the PC port seriously..
I can read this post two ways :lol

1) You're being serious about DX10 support meaning they took the PC port seriously, in which case I'd dispute that since DX10 support was exclusive simply because it makes development easier. I don't really think it says much about their dedication one way or the other - just that they were willing to sacrifice some sales for a much simpler development cycle. In the end, it seemed to have paid off since people often remark how great the PC version is.

2) You're being sarcastic, and the same that I said above still applies - it's a sensible business decision to go DX10 only, since it's so much more straightforward to develop for it and ignore legacy DX9 baggage.

Fredescu

dLMN8R said:
since DX10 support was exclusive simply because it makes development easier. I don't really think it says much about their dedication one way or the other - just that they were willing to sacrifice some sales for a much simpler development cycle.
Why is it pretty much the only DX10 required console port then? At the very least it shows they know their audience.

Fredescu

I guess DX9 is the lowest common denominator. There is a perception that you're missing out on software sales by not targeting people with a five year old operating system, which is quite a funny perception when you think about it. DX11 is the cutting edge, and implementing it will help sell some video cards. Nvidia and ATI will help out a lot of devs implement the latest features in their games. Nvidia had a heavy hand in JC2 for example.

Twig

Banned
dream said:
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone targets DX9 and DX11 at the expense of DX10.
DX9 is more common, like Fredescu says. DX11 is DX10 but better. Why waste time on DX10?

I guess.

dLMN8R

dream said:
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone targets DX9 and DX11 at the expense of DX10.
Because DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10.

It's the same thing as DX9 vs. pre-DX9. Every version of DirectX built on the last, and every pre-DX9 piece of hardware was still allowed to run DX9 games, just with fewer features that their hardware didn't fully support.

DX10 was a clean break from 9, for the sake of supporting Vista's new drive model and simply getting rid of all that legacy garbage. DX11 is now starting the trend back up again of being backwards compatible with DX10 hardware.

So really, now that DX11 is out, there's literally no reason to code specifically for DX10 anymore since you still get all the same support and compatibility.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
Which single train costs more than the game?
Opps, still thinking the game is $20. But there is $22 trains:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24058/

I guess if you want to get picky that is 3 trains though, but this seems to be close to trying to call alternative colors in a game a new character. But I don't know trains.
  • No 92220 Evening Star In Lined BR Green
  • Double Chimney 9F 2-10-0 in BR Black
  • Single Chimney 9F 2-10-0 in grimy BR Black

duckroll

Drkirby said:
Opps, still thinking the game is $20. But there is $22 trains:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24058/

I guess if you want to get picky that is 3 trains though, but this seems to be close to trying to call alternative colors in a game a new character. But I don't know trains.
  • No 92220 Evening Star In Lined BR Green
  • Double Chimney 9F 2-10-0 in BR Black
  • Single Chimney 9F 2-10-0 in grimy BR Black

3 trains and 4 scenarios, all tailored in a specific historical theme. Seems more like a mini-expansion pack than a character pack.

Fredescu said:
Why is it pretty much the only DX10 required console port then? At the very least it shows they know their audience.

Direct X 9.0 < Xbox 360.

Microsoft peeps once said to think of 360 as "direct x 9.5"

But seriously, if you're running a Geforce 7xxx or older and still want to play the newest releases, I seriously think it's time you invest in a new videocard DX10 requirements or not.

Fredescu

TouchMyBox said:
Direct X 9.0 < Xbox 360.

Microsoft peeps once said to think of 360 as "direct x 9.5"
I'm not sure how this relates what I said. Do you mean to agree with or dispute that "DX10 support [...] makes development easier"?

Fredescu said:
I'm not sure how this relates what I said. Do you mean to agree with or dispute that "DX10 support [...] makes development easier"?

I see it as an unnecessary hoop for devs to jump through. Would you rather have Dev X allocate their resources into both a modern graphics codebase and a legacy codebase and maybe see if there's enough time to optimize both of them? or would you rather have them focus on the more modern, feature rich API and focus all of their optimizations on that?

I could understand the reluctance to drop DX9.0 when Vista had a disastrous launch, but DX10 cards have been on the market since 2006 and the API is now backed by the fastest selling version of windows ever.

Fredescu

TouchMyBox said:
or would you rather have them focus on the more modern, feature rich API and focus all of their optimizations on that?
Oh, I'd much rather every port, and hell, every game was DX10 minimum. I was just asking that, if it really makes it easier, why is it such an unpopular decision? It probably is sales, but I think they're misreading things. The people that buy the latest PC games at launch won't be the same people stuck on a five year old OS with a five year old graphics card.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
3 trains and 4 scenarios, all tailored in a specific historical theme. Seems more like a mini-expansion pack than a character pack.
There are scenarios too? Damn I need to read more closely.

Fredescu said:
Oh, I'd much rather every port, and hell, every game was DX10 minimum. I was just asking that, if it really makes it easier, why is it such an unpopular decision? It probably is sales, but I think they're misreading things. The people that buy the latest PC games at launch won't be the same people stuck on a five year old OS with a five year old graphics card.

Probably because every DX10+ exclusive game up until Just Cause 2 was chastised by the PC gaming community. Hell, Shattered Horizon isn't even that old, yet there was still a very large negative backlash by those still clinging on to XP with their cold, dead claws.

Stumpokapow said:
more railworks haters demolished

chooo chooo

Considering that I still have the model train collection of my childhood safely stashed away, a part of me totally wants to check out Railworks. The problem is that the other part of me would probably view the other half of a crazy person. :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TouchMyBox said:
Probably because every DX10+ exclusive game up until Just Cause 2 was chastised by the PC gaming community. Hell, Shattered Horizon isn't even that old, yet there was still a very large negative backlash by those still clinging on to XP with their cold, dead claws.
No, there was no negative backlash on Just Cause 2 because the game was excellent. There was a negative backlash on Shattered Horizons because it made a shit game out of a sick concept AND didn't support DX9.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'm sure I'm just late to the party here but just a random thought that's probably completely unrealistic. Since Portal 2 is theoretically going to support steamworks on PS3 does that mean that if I buy a copy of PS3 Portal 2 it would need to be tied to my steam account and thus I would own it on PC and Mac (assuming it supports mac)? There's no way Sony would allow that, right?

mikespit1200 said:
I'm sure I'm just late to the party here but just a random thought that's probably completely unrealistic. Since Portal 2 is theoretically going to support steamworks on PS3 does that mean that if I buy a copy of PS3 Portal 2 it would need to be tied to my steam account and thus I would own it on PC and Mac (assuming it supports mac)? There's no way Sony would allow that, right?
No. Steamworks for PS3 is just for updates and what not. Not to register your game.

MNC

LovingSteam said:
No. Steamworks for PS3 is just for updates and what not. Not to register your game.
Has this really been confirmed? :( What about stats and savegames? Steamcloud is useless if it's not working between the two platforms :(

MNC said:
Has this really been confirmed? :( What about stats and savegames? Steamcloud is useless if it's not working between the two platforms :(
Saves and stats maybe but registering the game between PC and console? No way. Also lol @ NFS

markot

Banned
Wonder what EA was playing at >.<

They seem to have a weird relationship with Steam...

I dont get people that hate on Railworks either, it seems like a really great way of doing DLC, its essentially like purchasing the trains at a hobby store... I guess... im not into trains >.>

Stumpokapow said:
so I guess whatever idiotic leverage EA was trying to get over Valve either happened or it didn't, and they're done screwing over customers for no reason.

i wonder if create will be put on Steam as well.
Honestly I think it was always coming. EA just didn't want it known until people bought it from their store and other DD services.

Fox318

markot said:
Wonder what EA was playing at >.<

They seem to have a weird relationship with Steam...

I dont get people that hate on Railworks either, it seems like a really great way of doing DLC, its essentially like purchasing the trains at a hobby store... I guess... im not into trains >.>
EA wishes they had steam. All of their digital download stuff sucks.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
LovingSteam said:
Honestly I think it was always coming. EA just didn't want it known until people bought it from their store and other DD services.

Yea i would agree. Maybe to EA it was a test of some sort. How big is steam in the grand scheme of DD .. Really big, it's coming to steam soon! Yays etc

When you have a service that seems to be around 30m users and 10% of those are online around about an hour ago all at once, It would seem crazy, stupid, not to put your game on there.

With it being so close to Christmas though i doubt it's going to see a crazy sale.

markot

Banned
Fox318 said:
EA wishes they had steam. All of their digital download stuff sucks.
I dont think they are that bad anymore, the new downloader is pretty good and they have some decent deals >.<

My guess was they are trying to stop valve/steam from becoming too powerful, either that or just trying to force a better deal/cut between them and steam. It doesnt make sense to sell their game on other services but ignore Steam, I mean, The Sims 3 isnt available on Steam, yet it is on other DD services besides EAs own, same goes for a few other EA games.

evlcookie said:
Yea i would agree. Maybe to EA it was a test of some sort. How big is steam in the grand scheme of DD .. Really big, it's coming to steam soon! Yays etc

When you have a service that seems to be around 30m users and 10% of those are online around about an hour ago all at once, It would seem crazy, stupid, not to put your game on there.

With it being so close to Christmas though i doubt it's going to see a crazy sale.
Yup. I'll be buying Shift when it goes on sale at $10 and the same with Hot Pursuit next year. Too many good games coming out to spend $50 on one that will have a sequel in less than 12 months.

markot

Banned
Arent Shift and Hot Pursuit different kinds of racing games >.>?

And I kinda wish they werent relying on the NFS name so much... seems whorish.

markot said:
Arent Shift and Hot Pursuit different kinds of racing games >.>?

And I kinda wish they werent relying on the NFS name so much... seems whorish.
They are different but for someone like me who isn't huge on racing I will wait for each new iteration to go on sale. Especially with Dirt 3 and Grid 2 coming out. Too many racing games.

Stumpokapow said:
so I guess whatever idiotic leverage EA was trying to get over Valve either happened or it didn't, and they're done screwing over customers for no reason.

i wonder if create will be put on Steam as well.
It's probably a reaction to only a few hundred people buying it on PC because it wasn't on Steam.

Nabs

stuminus3 said:
Yup. I'd have paid full price a couple of weeks ago. Now I just don't feel like it. Mwuahah.

I would have picked it up day 1, but that was before the black friday sale. i'll wait until after the holiday sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom