• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
It supports Cloud, but the Mac/PC save file structures are too different to make it work cross-platform, I guess.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So, I've got the awesome idea (from GAF, obviously) for my father's christmas present: I'll set up a Steam account for him.

Problem is: My old man never really got into computers - and gaming, for that matter - but he's always interested if I play Xbox or something. And, because he's my dad, I simply know there is a gamer deep inside of him, regardless of his age ;)

So, GAF, maybe you can help me out here: Besides World of Goo, Trackmania (cause it's free) and maybe Shatter (cause it's almost free) - what Steam games would you recommend me to buy for "starting out" to play PC games? They have to be somewhat easy to understand and to get into, I'd guess, but maybe I'm just underestimating him :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bufbaf said:
So, I've got the awesome idea (from GAF, obviously) for my father's christmas present: I'll set up a Steam account for him.

Problem is: My old man never really got into computers - and gaming, for that matter - but he's always interested if I play Xbox or something. And, because he's my dad, I simply know there is a gamer deep inside of him, regardless of his age ;)

So, GAF, maybe you can help me out here: Besides World of Goo, Trackmania (cause it's free) and maybe Shatter (cause it's almost free) - what Steam games would you recommend me to buy for "starting out" to play PC games? They have to be somewhat easy to understand and to get into, I'd guess, but maybe I'm just underestimating him :)
Peggle and Plants vs Zombies are the typical gateway PC games. I wouldn't buy a thing before the Winter sale though.

But we need more info for more personalized recommendations. What are some of his hobbies and interests? What type of movies, books, and non electronic games does he gravitate towards?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Bufbaf said:
Old men like Civ. It's a tautology.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
SapientWolf said:
Peggle and Plants vs Zombies are the typical gateway PC games. I wouldn't buy a thing before the Winter sale though.

But we need more info for more personalized recommendations. What are some of his hobbies and interests? What type of movies, books, and non electronic games does he gravitate towards?

Well, he's around 60 years old now (!), he likes everything Sci-Fi - from Stargate to Enterprise and Perry Rhodan books (dunno if they are big over in the US), he likes Marvel Comics and crime series or quiz shows on TV. Well, he likes TV in general, I'd say. He tried to build model kits a few years ago, but that wasn't his kind of thing. His biggest "hobby", if one might say so, is working on bikes (he's got a small bike shop) and gardening stuff.

At games, it's kind of shady for me - I'm not living at home a pretty long time now, and the only thing I really know is that my parents play board and card games with friends monthly, mostly fun games or Q&A stuff like Trivial Pursuit. He really loved You Don't Know Jack when that came out, I remember now :)

That's pretty much all I can come up with right now :/

edit: Some awesome recommendations so far, never would have thought of Puzzle Agent - keep it up!

AcridMeat

Banned
SapientWolf said:

On top of this what games does he see you play on xbox when he shows interest?

An-Det

Bufbaf said:

I really like this idea. Me and my sister went halfsies on a new computer for our parents for this Xmas, so this is the perfect time to get him back into pc gaming (he hasnt really been into it since their old computer got too fucked up to play anything; it is just over 6 years old now). Plus I think my mom will enjoy some of the more casual games.

Bufbaf said:

Wait until the holiday sale and buy the Valve complete pack, HL2 and expansions are quite straight-forward.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
AcridMeat said:
On top of this what games does he see you play on xbox when he shows interest?

Pretty much everything. He did try GTA4, and ended up deliberately crashing his car into anything and anyone and couldnt stop laughing
like anyone of us would!
:)

Bufbaf said:
Pretty much everything. He did try GTA4, and ended up deliberately crashing his car into anything and anyone and couldnt stop laughing
like anyone of us would!
This is exactly how I play GTA.

I would get any puzzle game on sale. There'll be tons between now and the big sale... they're easy to get into and difficult to master.

AcridMeat

Banned
Bufbaf said:
like anyone of us would!

I know this sounds weird but it could go along with Sci-fi love (barely) Red Faction: Guerrilla.

If he has it set on easy you can just run around smacking things with your sledgehammer and blowing buildings up, he might enjoy that. :D

Spwn

Bufbaf said:
Well, he's around 60 years old now (!), he likes everything Sci-Fi - from Stargate to Enterprise and Perry Rhodan books (dunno if they are big over in the US), he likes Marvel Comics and crime series or quiz shows on TV. Well, he likes TV in general, I'd say.

I see you noted my recommendations already, but I'd just want to say that the LucasArts pack has The Dig, which is REALLY sci-fi and I think Steven Spielberg has great influence in the development process.

Also, Marvel Comics reminded me:
Freedom Force
Reasons: Comic book influenced game, which in my opinion is easy to learn. More DC influence in there than Marvel, but anyways. :)

Also, I've heard some people like the CSI-games, but can't really say anything about them.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Spwn said:
I see you noted my recommendations already, but I'd just want to say that the LucasArts pack has The Dig, which is REALLY sci-fi and I think Steven Spielberg has great influence in the development process.

Also, Marvel Comics reminded me:
Freedom Force
Reasons: Comic book influenced game, which in my opinion is easy to learn. More DC influence in there than Marvel, but anyways. :)

Also, I've heard some people like the CSI-games, but can't really say anything about them.

There's only an english version of The Dig on Steam, so that won't work, sadly. Really great game, but he won't understand one word :(

It's gotten pretty late over here, I'll come again tomorrow and see what you guys came up with - thanks for the great support this far!

kamspy

Bufbaf said:

My old man loves historical shooters. Don't underestimate his finger dexterity if there's the promise of shooting Nazis with authentic WWII weaponry.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Company of Heroes
Brothers in Arms series
Men of War series

other than that, my pop is also a big StarCraft fan (single player only). He's beat the game and all the challenges on every difficultly. I can't even do that. :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bufbaf said:
Well, he's around 60 years old now (!), he likes everything Sci-Fi - from Stargate to Enterprise and Perry Rhodan books (dunno if they are big over in the US), he likes Marvel Comics and crime series or quiz shows on TV. Well, he likes TV in general, I'd say. He tried to build model kits a few years ago, but that wasn't his kind of thing. His biggest "hobby", if one might say so, is working on bikes (he's got a small bike shop) and gardening stuff.

At games, it's kind of shady for me - I'm not living at home a pretty long time now, and the only thing I really know is that my parents play board and card games with friends monthly, mostly fun games or Q&A stuff like Trivial Pursuit. He really loved You Don't Know Jack when that came out, I remember now :)

That's pretty much all I can come up with right now :/

edit: Some awesome recommendations so far, never would have thought of Puzzle Agent - keep it up!
Gratuitous Space battles is a great entry level sci-fi strategy game. As a bike tinekerer, he should already be very familiar with the concept of swapping out parts for performance. The battles play out without any player intervention, so no micro skills are required.

Faerie Solitaire and Poker Night might scratch the card game itch. Greed Corp is basically a beginner accessible strategy board game.

Flight Control HD is an iPhone casual fave that can help ease him into the precise mouse manipulation that he'll need for faster paced RTS games and shooters.

I can't find any trivia games on Steam though, which is a pretty odd.

Cruzader

Banned
derFeef said:
You need L4D2?
yes I still do. Dont blame me, I have a huge backlog on PC/PS3 but always would like to purchase L4D2 for cheap.

Anyhow where could I find group thing for it? Its $14.99 for a 4 group thing. Well incase anyone wants to buy that, let me know.

Blizzard

Banned
Cruzader said:
yes I still do. Dont blame me, I have a huge backlog on PC/PS3 but always would like to purchase L4D2 for cheap.

Anyhow where could I find group thing for it? Its $14.99 for a 4 group thing. Well incase anyone wants to buy that, let me know.
If you can't find a group, $3.75 is pretty close to $5.00. Heck, you could probably find someone willing to gift you the $5 game so they can get the Steam contest objective. :)

Cruzader

Banned
Blizzard said:
If you can't find a group, $3.75 is pretty close to $5.00. Heck, you could probably find someone willing to gift you the $5 game so they can get the Steam contest objective. :)

Hey if anyone in here is kind and wants to earn an easy achievement, PM to gift me L4D2. Im more than happy to help. I would pay the $3.75 price too.

Im sorry but Im a cheapy ass with a huge backlog.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bufbaf said:

A new You Don't Know Jack releases about a month from now for PC/DS/PS3/360/(?)Wii, and it's by the original Jellyvision team, and based on the demo they have on the go, seems to retain all the awesome flavour of the original!

So keep an eye out for that one!

tabsina

Is anyone else having problems purchasing from the online steam store? trying to get the usa version of L4D2, but it keeps saying there is an internal problem

at first i thought it was the fact that my mastercard is australian based, but i tried again getting the censored version from the australian site and it still didn't work

An-Det

When you buy a game to gift someone, do you have to give it immediately or does the gift pass stay until you give it out?

Stumpokapow said:
A new You Don't Know Jack releases about a month from now for PC/DS/PS3/360/(?)Wii, and it's by the original Jellyvision team, and based on the demo they have on the go, seems to retain all the awesome flavour of the original!

So keep an eye out for that one!

Yeah, I can't wait for that one myself. Definitely getting it personally, and probably gifting to family members as well.

Fredescu

An-Det said:
When you buy a game to gift someone, do you have to give it immediately or does the gift pass stay until you give it out?
You have to specify who to gift it to at the time of purchase, but if they don't redeem it it stays in your "Manage Gifts and Passes" and you can resend the gift somewhere else if you want.

Joe Molotov

An-Det said:

Fredescu said:
You have to specify who to gift it to at the time of purchase, but if they don't redeem it it stays in your "Manage Gifts and Passes" and you can resend the gift somewhere else if you want.

If you want to buy a game now and gift it later, you can choose to send it to a email address, and then choose your own address. Then later, you can choose to resend it and pick someone else.

An-Det

Fredescu said:

Joe Molotov said:
If you want to buy a game now and gift it later, you can choose to send it to a email address, and then choose your own address. Then later, you can choose to resend it and pick someone else.

Awesome, thank you both. I figured that'd be the case, but confirmation is great.

IrishNinja

hey, so...what's the difference between TF2 and TF2 beta, what's the latter one got going that the former doesn't, specifically?

derFeef

Cruzader said:

I was asking because I intended to give one copy away for free but I was already in dreamland (3am). Sorry :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fuck their stupid 11.2mil Shatter challenge and fuck Shatter devs for making that stupid bonus mode. Is it pushing? Is it pulling? No fucking indicator but it sure isn't a consistent or linear motion and it is sure as fuck changing constantly. Fucking balls curving everywhere how the fuck am I supposed to read them? Then they bounce off of each other because I can totally read how the fuck they'll react to each other when they do that. What a random luck piece of shit mode.

Danj

Dice said:
Fuck their stupid 11.2mil Shatter challenge and fuck Shatter devs for making that stupid bonus mode. Is it pushing? Is it pulling? No fucking indicator but it sure isn't a consistent or linear motion and it is sure as fuck changing constantly. Fucking balls curving everywhere how the fuck am I supposed to read them? Then they bounce off of each other because I can totally read how the fuck they'll react to each other when they do that. What a random luck piece of shit mode.

Yeah I hear you man. Can't get more than about 9.4 million in that mode, even using a mouse instead of a controller or the keyboard or whatever. Wonder if there's some special mouse acceleration settings that need messing with.

poweld

Dice said:
I think I'll go ahead and be that guy: I hopped back into Shatter to get this achievement, and did so in a single try.

Don't hate.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you can do that consistently, I might hate, but then I'm also using the 360 controller and maybe that has something to do with it.

Overall, though, I watched my skill increase as I kept trying, but when you do 3.5mil/3.5mil/800k it really fucking pisses you off. On that last round why did they decide to bounce back to me in different places at the exact same time so early on? Why did the last one suddenly shift to a sideways curvy motion? It doesn't make any fucking sense.

I like high score focused games, but only if they are consistent. My practice has to actually mean something.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dice said:
If you can do that consistently, I might hate, but then I'm also using the 360 controller and maybe that has something to do with it.
That has everything to do with it. The mode is significantly easier with a mouse.

fresquito

I finally did the achievement for Shatter. The main problem for this achievement is tyhat it's quite dependant on luck. I mean, you can bounce back all three balls and make them come back again all at once at diferent spots, being unable to save more than one. Then there's the weird curve they do and their tendency to bounce one on each other.

The game is fun, but I'm afraid some people might hate it because they were exposed to the awful bonus mode.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I would love to buy L4D2 for 5 bucks but it's the low violence version. Could someone please help me? I would pay you instantly via PayPal.

edit
My Steam ID is kpt_kamorra. I could use some friends too I have exactly 0 atm.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
fresquito said:
I finally did the achievement for Shatter. The main problem for this achievement is tyhat it's quite dependant on luck. I mean, you can bounce back all three balls and make them come back again all at once at diferent spots, being unable to save more than one. Then there's the weird curve they do and their tendency to bounce one on each other.

The game is fun, but I'm afraid some people might hate it because they were exposed to the awful bonus mode.
It isn't luck. Your paddle is convex. Use it to your advantage.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
kamorra said:
I would love to buy L4D2 for 5 bucks but it's the low violence version. Could someone please help me? I would pay you instantly via PayPal.

edit
My Steam ID is kpt_kamorra. I could use some friends too I have exactly 0 atm.

For the new page

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Cruzader said:
Low violence version???? WTF i feel ripped off. I want my $5 back.

umm... I think this is a misunderstanding. I should have made myself clearer, sorry about that. My Steam store only has the low violence version. I hope that someone could buy/gift me the "real" version.

Baha

Cruzader said:
Low violence version???? WTF i feel ripped off. I want my $5 back.

He probably lives in Germany where L4D2 was censored. He's asking somebody to gift him a copy of the uncensored version and he'll pay the person gifting via Paypal.

BrettWeir said:
Steam not doing the "12 days of Christmas" sale this year?

It starts on the 20th when the Steam Treasure Hunt ends.

AcridMeat

Banned
I got the shatter achievement on my second try. I thought it was 12.8 million not 11.2

Just to to keep one of them towards the center on the 3rd level so that it doesn't start weaving to the sides. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom