• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

sestrugen

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
There's been a L4D2 special like every month for the last year. How do you not own this by now?

I didnt had a capable PC until last week so I am catching up with a lot of games, waiting eagerly for the Winter sale

Shaneus said:
Good fucking luck to EA on selling that one. First they dick people over with the Steam delay, now they announce that the console DLC won't be coming to PC. They should've left that announcement for later :lol

Meh, it's worth it for 60fps and full 1080p.

Ataturk

Need help with Beat Hazard.

When I bought it a few weeks ago it worked fine, but now it always crashes after selecting a language. I've tried changing my display's resolution, ClientRegistry.blob, changing the compatibility, disabling steam cloud/going offline, tried to put it in windowed mode through launch options (didn't work) and others.

Any help please? Is there anyway I could bypass the language select screen?

RedSwirl

Just Cause 2. $7.50. Hmmm... The demo ran alright on my 8800gt, but in terms of pure fun how does it compare to say, Red Faction Guerrilla?

Shaneus

Shitloads more fun. I've had arseloads of fun with both but it seems that there's more you can do in JC2. It's more colourful as well. But really... debating over a game that's $7.50?

Seriously, anybody who doesn't jump in with JC2 now has rocks in their head, especially at that price. Easily my favourite sandbox game this gen.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Shaneus said:
Good fucking luck to EA on selling that one. First they dick people over with the Steam delay, now they announce that the console DLC won't be coming to PC. They should've left that announcement for later :lol

Who cares about DLC? Are people really that anxious for the opportunity to get nickeled and dimed for crappy content?

RedSwirl said:
Just Cause 2. $7.50. Hmmm... The demo ran alright on my 8800gt, but in terms of pure fun how does it compare to say, Red Faction Guerrilla?

Just Cause 2 is far faaaar more fun then RFG and I loved RFG.

RedSwirl said:

It's an 16-bit-style action game for the modern age. I paid $60 for it and had a blast.

Sinatar said:
Who cares about DLC? Are people really that anxious for the opportunity to get nickeled and dimed for crappy content?

Just Cause 2 is far faaaar more fun then RFG and I loved RFG.
You don't know that. And fuck I need Just Cause 2 now.
Shaneus said:
Most reviews I've seen didn't even list a PC version, it's like EA wanted to bury it but Criterion just kept on working on it because they have the pipeline hanging over from Paradise. Real shame, but I completely agree. EA fucked up and Criterion must be pissed that the game isn't getting into more hands.

Salaadin

Im having big issues with Crysis and Warhead in dx10.

When launching directly from Steam, Crysis doesnt work at all no matter what I do. Warhead wont either until I goto the Bin64 folder and try launching the 64bit version.
Original Crysis doesnt have a Bin64 folder even though Im reading that the disc version does.

Is there a way to get original Crysis to run in 64bit? Is there a way to get Steam to default to Crysis Warhead 64bit or do I need to make a separate shortcut to that?

Both games work fine in dx9. I also tried rolling back my GPU drivers and that didnt work. Oddly enough, this exact rig ran Crysis fine before in dx10. Nothing changed that Im aware of except for the drivers but I already ruled them out after the rollback. Is there something else that Im overlooking here?

AcridMeat

Banned
Thank you Steam for getting me to play Beat Hazard some more, still love the game and the amount of post release support he has given the game is fantastic. I have all but 2 achievements now, and they're both basically "play it a fuckton".

Aight, I must be blind as hell because I can't find the locations for the game I just bought on Mac OS X. Is there a specific folder where Steam stores the games?

DJ Crimson said:
Aight, I must be blind as hell because I can't find the locations for the game I just bought on Mac OS X. Is there a specific folder where Steam stores the games?
Why do you need to know?

Just launch it from Steam.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
$50 for NFS. Pffft.

Will wait for the 2011 steam xmas sale. That's how patient i am :lol
Glad to see it's finally on the store though.

legend166

RedSwirl said:

Funnily enough, I remember the demo not even working on my PC. It would just show up with a black screen. I can't remember why. But from then on, I always thought the game was a poor port that needed a good rig to run it. I actually bought it during the Thanksgiving sale thinking, "I'll play it when I upgrade my machine next year."

Clearly I was misinformed. My PC is a E6750, 2GB of RAM and an 8800GT. The game runs like a dream. And it's very fun. For $7.50 you should definitely get it.

Like Red Faction Guerilla though, I suggest putting it on the easiest difficulty mode. The army men swarming on you when you blow stuff up just get in the way of the fun so it's better when they are really easy to kill.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DJ Crimson said:
Yes.

DJ Crimson said:
Thanks for answering nothing, I already know you can launch from Steam.

How about you stop acting like an asshole and wait for others to offer you a different response. Or, you know, you can continue to act like a prick.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
Like Red Faction Guerilla though, I suggest putting it on the easiest difficulty mode. The army men swarming on you when you blow stuff up just get in the way of the fun so it's better when they are really easy to kill.
I'm... not so sure about this. With RFG I'm pretty sure the difficulty was completely broken, but with JC2 it's actually pretty well balanced. There's a great sense of satisfaction when you can destroy a target with a few revolver rounds and a grenade left over as opposed to obliterating everything. Pretty much why I refuse to use a trainer for it (like so many other people recommend).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Alright DJ Crimson, I'm gonna end the torture. Your games are somewhere in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
hmmm....might take a chance on Metro 2033. It seems like Doom 3 meets STALKER, but in a good way... hopefully it's more than a tech demo.

LovingSteam said:
How about you stop acting like an asshole and wait for others to offer you a different response. Or, you know, you can continue to act like a prick.

I'm the asshole? He basically didn't even bother giving me a real answer except a smart ass one that has nothing to do with the question.:lol

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Am I thinking of some other game, or did at some point all of Just Cause 2's DLC go on sale for a buck?

Twig

Banned
DJ Crimson said:
I'm the asshole? He basically didn't even bother giving me a real answer except a smart ass one that has nothing to do with the question.:lol
Take it from an asshole: you're an asshole.

SKIDOOOO

Protip: he wasn't being a "smart ass".

DJ Crimson said:

Perhaps he misunderstood your question or didn't know that there was a difference between the Mac and PC set up for Steam.

LovingSteam said:
Perhaps he misunderstood your question or didn't know that there was a difference between the Mac and PC set up for Steam.

That's fine, if so, I apologize. Also wmat, thanks for answering the question.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DJ Crimson said:
That's fine, if so, I apologize. Also wmat, thanks for answering the question.
You're welcome. If you want that stuff to go somewhere else, make a symbolic link.

Salaadin said:
Im having big issues with Crysis and Warhead in dx10.

When launching directly from Steam, Crysis doesnt work at all no matter what I do. Warhead wont either until I goto the Bin64 folder and try launching the 64bit version.
Original Crysis doesnt have a Bin64 folder even though Im reading that the disc version does.

Is there a way to get original Crysis to run in 64bit? Is there a way to get Steam to default to Crysis Warhead 64bit or do I need to make a separate shortcut to that?

Both games work fine in dx9. I also tried rolling back my GPU drivers and that didnt work. Oddly enough, this exact rig ran Crysis fine before in dx10. Nothing changed that Im aware of except for the drivers but I already ruled them out after the rollback. Is there something else that Im overlooking here?
At least it works in DX9, my Crysis has stopped working altogether, re-installed, rolled back drivers etc. Apparently it's an issue that's not too uncommon on Win 7. I haven't found a solution yet though.

legend166 said:
Unlike RFG the gameplay aside from wrecking stuff is actually good. I am at around 80 % finished I think, always played on normal, never used a trainer and it was very satisfying.

Chacranajxy said:
hmmm....might take a chance on Metro 2033. It seems like Doom 3 meets STALKER, but in a good way... hopefully it's more than a tech demo.
It's quite good imo, well worth the cheap asking price.

Oreoleo

I take back anything bad I've ever said about Metro 2033. Played through the 2nd half of the game tonight after not getting that into it earlier in the year, and god damn that shit is white hot. Don't know if they just saved the best levels for last, but wow I can't remember the last time I played a FPS for basically 5 hours straight
except TF2
. RECOMMEND

LovingSteam said:
I dunno why Liu Kang wasn't on that like shit to tarmac on a hot day but his response was pretty useless. He was treating DJ what's his name like an idiot for asking such a stupid question. Surely nobody would ever need to access their game directories.

Aaron

Orellio said:
I take back anything bad I've ever said about Metro 2033. Played through the 2nd half of the game tonight after not getting that into it earlier in the year, and god damn that shit is white hot. Don't know if they just saved the best levels for last, but wow I can't remember the last time I played a FPS for basically 5 hours straight
except TF2
. RECOMMEND
They definitely did. The last hour or so of the game is incredible. Probably the best end to any FPS ever... though it is a genre known for weak endings.

Can someone explain how Steams "Offline Mode" works?

I was having trouble connecting to the internet a little while ago but I figured I'd play some Machinarium anyway. Steam would offer to start in offline mode but wouldn't actually load fully (no games list). Now my connection is back and I can go into offline mode and if I manually disable my wireless card I can go into offline mode.

I've seen this issue mentioned before plenty of times, but I'm hearing various reasonings behind why it happens. One of the reasons I like Steam so far is that I haven't needed to worry about DRM issues, but I am wondering now if I need to worry about having an internet connection for Steam to reliably let me play games offline.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MvmntInGrn said:

I was having trouble connecting to the internet a little while ago but I figured I'd play some Machinarium anyway. Steam would offer to start in offline mode but wouldn't actually load fully (no games list). Now my connection is back and I can go into offline mode and if I manually disable my wireless card I can go into offline mode.

I've seen this issue mentioned before plenty of times, but I'm hearing various reasonings behind why it happens. One of the reasons I like Steam so far is that I haven't needed to worry about DRM issues, but I am wondering now if I need to worry about having an internet connection for Steam to reliably let me play games offline.
Steam (top left corner)->Go Offline...->Restart in Offline Mode

If you get Just Cause 2, install the unlimited ammo/long grapple mods. Made the game so much more fun for me.

Don't have a link but if you google it you should find it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MvmntInGrn said:

They used to let you directly start into offline mode, but yeah, it only starts in offline mode now if you don't have an internet connection at the moment. I'm not sure how often you're forced to check in though.

Papa

Banned
Bought Metro, didn't enjoy it, played to the achievement and promptly quit.

Just tried Beat Hazard and, although it seems like a cool game, it just seems ridiculously difficult. Maybe I'm just terrible, I dunno. Felt like I was going to have a seizure too, jesus christ.

SapientWolf said:
Steam (top left corner)->Go Offline...->Restart in Offline Mode
In my situation Steam wasn't running, so I couldn't do this.
firehawk12 said:
They used to let you directly start into offline mode, but yeah, it only starts in offline mode now if you don't have an internet connection at the moment. I'm not sure how often you're forced to check in though.
But you are required to "check in"?
Example: If I have 50 games on Steam and I want to set up a PC near my TV that won't have constant internet access (offline 90+% of the time), eventually steam is going to deny me access until I reconnect to the internet?

Thats not unreasonable, but it would be nice to know how long that time is, or how Steam determines it.

Anyways I can play my games now, and its not often I'll be without an internet connection (and its only becoming less often in todays world) but it may end up being a minor nuisance. Especially for someone like me who occasionally plays on a wi-fi laptop away from an access point.

Psy-Phi

Chacranajxy said:
Just got finished playing it through to the "metro market" station (far enough to get the achievement completed and then a bit more). if that's what you're expecting you won't be disappointed.

The achievement they want you to go for is perfect to get you into the game (same for NV, which I also owned like Metro for a while before actually giving a shot thanks to this Treasure Hunt).

Shaneus

Psy-Phi said:
Just got finished playing it through to the "metro market" station (far enough to get the achievement completed and then a bit more). if that's what you're expecting you won't be disappointed.

The achievement they want you to go for is perfect to get you into the game (same for NV, which I also owned like Metro for a while before actually giving a shot thanks to this Treasure Hunt).
How long was that for? I've had a boxed copy sitting here for a while and only just installed it for the achievement. I guess their treasure hunt campaign worked. Bastards :lol

Psy-Phi

MvmntInGrn said:
In my situation Steam wasn't running, so I couldn't do this.

But you are required to "check in"?
Example: If I have 50 games on Steam and I want to set up a PC near my TV that won't have constant internet access (offline 90+% of the time), eventually steam is going to deny me access until I reconnect to the internet?

Thats not unreasonable, but it would be nice to know how long that time is, or how Steam determines it.

Anyways I can play my games now, and its not often I'll be without an internet connection (and its only becoming less often in todays world) but it may end up being a minor nuisance. Especially for someone like me who occasionally plays on a wi-fi laptop away from an access point.
You won't have problems. The only time you need to be online to activate a title for offline mode (in my experience, using a laptop) is when you first launch the game. So be sure to launch it after it finishes downloading. After that, if you happen to be offline in the future it will work. You can force Steam into offline mode when you're logged in.

So far as I know Steam doesn't deny you access to the games so long as they were patched the last time it had internet access. If there was a patch, and you didn't launch it after that patch, you may not be able to access it.

Personally I've had 0 issues with Steam offline, but I hear a lot of stories that aren't good...well I used to hear them. I've used it pretty frequently over the past few years, without a problem. Just be sure to log off into offline mode before anticipating having no internet. After that it should start in offline mode (because you have no internet, and everything should be activated if you forced it offline automatically after launching each game once).

Shaneus said:
How long was that for? I've had a boxed copy sitting here for a while and only just installed it for the achievement. I guess their treasure hunt campaign worked. Bastards :lol

Steam tells me I played for 119 minutes. Given that I reloaded once, and talked on the phone / did random internet stuff while I was playing, I'd say no more than an hour and a half? Could probably be done in less time if you are able to kill more of the enemies than I was (not sure if it counts when the AI makes a kill even though you were shooting at it). I just kept playing, with faith that I'd get it.

It's a good game though so that time went by fast. I was very curious to see what I could of the world, and I'm interested to see where I get to next and what happens next. Good narration and immersion.

Psy-Phi said:
You won't have problems. The only time you need to be online to activate a title for offline mode (in my experience, using a laptop) is when you first launch the game. So be sure to launch it after it finishes downloading. After that, if you happen to be offline in the future it will work. You can force Steam into offline mode when you're logged in.

So far as I know Steam doesn't deny you access to the games so long as they were patched the last time it had internet access. If there was a patch, and you didn't launch it after that patch, you may not be able to access it.

Personally I've had 0 issues with Steam offline, but I hear a lot of stories that aren't good...well I used to hear them. I've used it pretty frequently over the past few years, without a problem. Just be sure to log off into offline mode before anticipating having no internet. After that it should start in offline mode (because you have no internet, and everything should be activated if you forced it offline automatically after launching each game once).
Thanks, I'll try to keep these things in mind for the future.

CiSTM

Banned
I can get two out of three of these games today killing floor, just cause 2 and metro 2033. At the moment I'm leaning towards killing floor and metro but I have to admit lush green environments of jc2 are tempting too :D can't decide !

CiSTM said:
I can get two out of three of these games today killing floor, just cause 2 and metro 2033. At the moment I'm leaning towards killing floor and metro but I have to admit lush green environments of jc2 are tempting too :D can't decide !
Don't know about the others but JC2 is a boatload of fun. Check some gameplay videos on youtube. Also, hope you have a good PC for Metro. :p

CiSTM

Banned
opticalmace said:
Don't know about the others but JC2 is a boatload of fun. Check some gameplay videos on youtube. Also, hope you have a good PC for Metro. :p

I have watched tons of gameplay videos of each games and I'm still undecided :lol Well actually I'm sure I'm gonna get Killing Floor since it's been on my list for too long, I have played it at my friends place and it's a blast. So it's between Metro and JC2 ;)

...Oh and I do have great PC for Metro.

edit:
Shaneus said:
I still don't "get" how people are debating over getting JC2. Really.
There is lot of love for all three games so it's really hard choice at least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom