• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

CiSTM said:
I can get two out of three of these games today killing floor, just cause 2 and metro 2033. At the moment I'm leaning towards killing floor and metro but I have to admit lush green environments of jc2 are tempting too :D can't decide !

If you want an incredibly atmospheric, tense, breathtakingly beautiful linear shooter set in the darkest and nastiest fucking tunnel system you can imagine, then get metro. Especially if you have a good PC, it will blow your mind (/ign.com).

CiSTM said:
I can get two out of three of these games today killing floor, just cause 2 and metro 2033. At the moment I'm leaning towards killing floor and metro but I have to admit lush green environments of jc2 are tempting too :D can't decide !
JC2 I had the most fun with. The others I would decide on whether you want multi (KF) or single player (Metro).

CiSTM

Banned
I got Metro and Killing Floor. JC2 will have to wait. I might get it during these sales but I have many games on my "to buy list" before it.

What a damn awesome price for Just Cause 2. I got all the achievements on the 360 version during a rental over the summer, and was thinking of buying it once it hit Games on Demand, but this is an irresistible price. Just ordered components for a new PC too so I can't wait to see how this runs on it.

Gonna need a wired 360 controller now though, but I've been wanting one for some other Steam games anyway.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You would have to be insane to pick Metro 2033 over Just Cause 2. JC2 is incredible fun and Metro 2033 is a little fun but a lot of boring.

Salaadin

Phife Dawg said:
At least it works in DX9, my Crysis has stopped working altogether, re-installed, rolled back drivers etc. Apparently it's an issue that's not too uncommon on Win 7. I haven't found a solution yet though.

When I first got Crysis, I had to download a new CryAction.dll file and place it over the old one in order to get it working on Win7.

I got Crysis and Warhead working on my PC now. For Warhead, I had to find the Bin64 folder and renamed it "Bin32"...then rename the Bin32 folder "Bin64". Now when I boot it from Steam, it goes into the Bin32 folder but actually loads 64bit Warhead. For some reason, Steam isnt defaulting to the 64bit version for me automatically.

Since the Steam version of original Crysis doesnt have a Bin64 folder, I had to borrow a friends and do the same renaming thing. Now they both work.
Someone from EA did appear on the steam forums back in August and say that they were working on the issue but nothing has come from that yet.

The downside now is that apparently d3doverrider doesnt work with 64bit Crysis and Warhead so I need to use the in game Vsync options. Does anyone know if this is a Crysis only issue or is it with all 64bit programs?

I really hope this shit is squared away for Crysis 2 or I might end up going with the disc version.

Ledsen

Stallion Free said:
You would have to be insane to pick Metro 2033 over Just Cause 2. JC2 is incredible fun and Metro 2033 is a little fun but a lot of boring.

I'd say it's all fun and no boring. Different strokes :)

Amneisac

JC2 is more fun than Metro, but Metro is better looking than JC2 and kind of an awesome game to play solely for the atmosphere and graphics. As a shooter, it's pretty average to annoying.

Honestly, I'd just take a ten spot out of your mom's purse and buy them both.

Amneisac said:
JC2 is more fun than Metro, but Metro is better looking than JC2 and kind of an awesome game to play solely for the atmosphere and graphics. As a shooter, it's pretty average to annoying.

Honestly, I'd just take a ten spot out of your mom's purse and buy them both.
amnesiac for president

just cause 2 has way more reply value tho. metro 2033 can be a showpiece, on the other hand

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Mr. Spinnington said:
amnesiac for president

just cause 2 has way more reply value tho. metro 2033 can be a showpiece, on the other hand
JC2 is a showcase as well. I don't know about replay value though. I'm not sure there's enough play value to make it through the SP even once! I've played it about 10 hours and I don't feel much of any impulse to play it more. I'll hop into it again eventually, but the game gets awfully repetitive. There isn't much depth to the gameplay for me.

BobsRevenge said:
JC2 is a showcase as well. I don't know about replay value though. I'm not sure there's enough play value to make it through the SP even once! I've played it about 10 hours and I don't feel much of any impulse to play it more. I'll hop into it again eventually, but the game gets awfully repetitive. There isn't much depth to the gameplay for me.

It only took me 12 hours to get through the campaign while doing a healthy amount of side-stuff, so you must be close to the end of the agency missions. Game is pretty incredible in S3D, so I find myself coming back to it regularly :)

Ledsen

CiSTM said:
too bad I already bought metro :b well with any luck I can still grab JC2 from the holiday sales.

No it's not. Don't listen to some random haters! I'm sure JC2 is great, but so is Metro.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
TouchMyBox said:
It only took me 12 hours to get through the campaign while doing a healthy amount of side-stuff, so you must be close to the end of the agency missions. Game is pretty incredible in S3D, so I find myself coming back to it regularly :)
Oh, I was under the impression that the game was, like, 30 hours long. That's actually reassuring. I'll probably pick it back up sometime soon then. Maybe tonight! It being so cold out has really freed up my time. :lol

Who the hell wants to be outside anymore?

edit: Visually, I think JC2 is on par with Metro 2033. The scale is just different. In Metro being close to things brings out the visuals, while in JC2 the opposite is true.

ArjanN

TouchMyBox said:

BobsRevenge said:
Oh, I was under the impression that the game was, like, 30 hours long. That's actually reassuring. I'll probably pick it back up sometime soon then. Maybe tonight! It being so cold out has really freed up my time. :lol

It really depends on how much you screw around, if you don't do the main story missions once are unlocked but keep doing a bunch of the sidemissions you can easily make the game last 30 hours.

CiSTM

Banned
Ledsen said:
No it's not. Don't listen to some random haters! I'm sure JC2 is great, but so is Metro.

Played it for some time and it's really great. Best of all it runs smoothly with high settings :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's amazing how quickly and to what extent I lose interest in a game the moment I hear death metal in the trailer.

Shaneus

Ledsen said:
Have played through to just after the Market stage in Metro... don't mind it, looks amazing but JC2 wins for having a main character that sounds EXACTLY like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Firehead

Hey, think we should make the '10 Steam Secret Santa thread soon? Five more days!

I was going to make it myself, mirroring the last one (PMing the creator for permission, of course)... but I couldn't seem to find it.

Firehead said:
Hey, think we should make the '10 Steam Secret Santa thread soon? Five more days!

I was going to make it myself, mirroring the last one (PMing the creator for permission, of course)... but I couldn't seem to find it.
Hey Firehead: go for it.

nexen

Just Cause 2 is extra helpings of awesome.

Particularly if you have a beefy rig and 3D capability. It looks like toys come to life murdering each other. Brilliant.

If you have 3D this and Batman AA are the games to really show it off.

Ledsen

CiSTM said:
Played it for some time and it's really great. Best of all it runs smoothly with high settings :)

I'm glad you like it :) I hope you're not playing on Hard though, one or two sections are pretty frustrating even on normal. The game is still awesome, but those parts really are unnecessarily hard.

BobsRevenge said:
edit: Visually, I think JC2 is on par with Metro 2033. The scale is just different. In Metro being close to things brings out the visuals, while in JC2 the opposite is true.
technically they are on similar levels, but metro 2033 being an fps puts things in a smaller scale and bumps up the aesthetics to make everyone go @_@ especially if you're crazy and dx11/S3D it

JC2 is impressive on a technical scale (and easy on the eyes most definitely), but it won't wow people like 2033. at least, not on as wide a scale

MvmntInGrn said:
Thanks, I'll try to keep these things in mind for the future.

A friend of mine doesn't have the internet and he can't play quite a few games he purchased hard copies of because of Steam's stupidity. You need to have the internet connection or you simply can't play, that's why some games say "internet connection required" and other games, such as Half Life 2, still require it even though it's not listed on the packaging. To get to offline mode you need to be online in the first place.

Now it's been a while since he's purchased any new PC games so maybe that's changed but, knowing Steam I doubt it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MidgarBlowedUp said:
A friend of mine doesn't have the internet and he can't play quite a few games he purchased hard copies of because of Steam's stupidity. You need to have the internet connection or you simply can't play, that's why some games say "internet connection required" and other games, such as Half Life 2, still require it even though it's not listed on the packaging. To get to offline mode you need to be online in the first place.

Now it's been a while since he's purchased any new PC games so maybe that's changed but, knowing Steam I doubt it.

With all due respect, your friend is going to run into an awful lot of limitations in life if he doesn't have any kind of home internet access. And most of them will be significantly more troubling than being able to play Civ 5.

poweld

MidgarBlowedUp said:

I believe you mean due to your friend's lack of an internet connection. How... is that even possible? It only has to authenticate once. Have him bring his computer to your place for an hour and authenticate all his stuff :p

Joe Molotov

A friend of mine doesn't have a computer, and because of that Steam won't let him access any of them games he spent good money on. WTF Steam, you suck. :mad

confused

Banned
poweld said:
I believe you mean due to your friend's lack of an internet connection. How... is that even possible? It only has to authenticate once. Have him bring his computer to your place for an hour and authenticate all his stuff :p

All he has to do is log in to Steam on a computer that has internet acces to validate all his games. No need to drag around the whole pc.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Any game that requires online authentication should say so on the packaging, and if they don't then that is pretty bad.

Joe Molotov

confused said:
All he has to do is log in to Steam on a computer that has internet acces to validate all his games. No need to drag around the whole pc.

No, you do have to log in on the PC you're going to play the games on because Steam has to validate the files or whatever.

Twig

Banned
confused said:
If he doesn't log in on his machine, his machine will not be authenticated.

...But really, wow, no internet, what is he, Amish?

Leatherface

Anyone ever figure out if there is a way to add custom grid icons for non steam games? ...Or if this is ever coming with an update? kind of lame thing to complain about I suppose, but I really like the look of the Steam Grid and I want all my games in one spot looking pretty. I want to be tantalized to play all my games, not just Steam, ya know? Right now my non steam games look like poor kids trying desperately to fit in with with the richers. :D

sn00zer

So do people still pirate a shit ton of games?...because seriously with Steam sales Im finding less and less reasons for people to continue pirating

sn00zer said:
So do people still pirate a shit ton of games?...because seriously with Steam sales Im finding less and less reasons for people to continue pirating
People pirate 99 cent iphone games, you can't just stop them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Leatherface said:
Anyone ever figure out if there is a way to add custom grid icons for non steam games? ...Or if this is ever coming with an update? kind of lame thing to complain about I suppose, but I really like the look of the Steam Grid and I want all my games in one spot looking pretty. I want to be tantalized to play all my games, not just Steam, ya know? Right now my non steam games look like poor kids trying desperately to fit in with with the richers. :D

Impossible without hacking Steam and Valve doesn't look like they're going to allow such a feature which is a crying shame. I feel the way you do :/

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
sn00zer said:

Good chance that they still pirate out of curiosity. But you will never stop someone from pirating regardless of the price.

Leatherface

sn00zer said:

I'm sure there are plenty still pirating. As for me, $5-$10 game deals through steam pretty much guarantees my honest support of the gaming industry. It's almost a collect-a-thon obsession with me. Especially during the holiday sales. :D

Leatherface

Stumpokapow said:
Impossible without hacking Steam and Valve doesn't look like they're going to allow such a feature which is a crying shame. I feel the way you do :/

Gawd I hate that!! it's petty, I know but damn it, half my games look all sad in my grid display!! lol

Has Valve ever talked about their stance on the subject and why? I'm sure a shit ton of people want this.

dLMN8R

This has probably already been discussed, but Metro 2033 is a rare game where the 2nd half improves significantly leading to an awesome final few levels rather than petering out and becoming redundant.

If you made it 3-5 hours in, somewhat enjoyed it, but thought it would be the same from there and not worth finishing, I highly suggest you reconsider.

Blablurn

one of my HDDs is almost full. thought about switching the STEAM folder to the other HDD. is this possible or do i have to re-download everything when i install it on a different HDD?

Van Owen

Banned
Blablurn said:
one of my HDDs is almost full. thought about switching the STEAM folder to the other HDD. is this possible or do i have to re-download everything when i install it on a different HDD?

I just did this the other day.

basically all you have to do is delete everything from the steam folder except the exe and steamapps folder, cut and paste it to the folder you want on the new drive, and launch the exe. it will update and all the games will be on the new drive.

Stumpokapow said:
Do you know of any other ways to manage a PC game library so I can have everything launch from one place and have it look nice and pretty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom