• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

WanderingWind said:
This thread is the GAF equivalent of lining outside of Best Buy to buy a $10 Blu-Ray player on Black Friday.

We are all sick, sick people.

Not really, because (A) I'm warm at home (B) I'm in my underwear and (C) at least we don't have to worry about them running out of the cheap stuff.

Actually, scratch that last one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
HamPster PamPster said:
Never played any of them - go for the pc version or wait for the collection?
Go for the PC versions. All three have flawless 360 pad support (button prompts, rumble), run well, have tons of options to tweak, and look quite pleasant on a nice TV at 1080p with lots of AA slapped on.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I <3 Memes said:
Last year I got Crysis/Crysis Warhead (w/crysis wars) and GTA4 for $20. You can do a lot for not much money if you wait for the games you really want.

Unfortunately I gave up on waiting for the game I really wanted and it finally went on sale on the last day. A great and legendary man remembered and made sure I didn't miss out on it though.

Yeah, best know in advance what games you'll purchase for certain if they show up and try to hold out them.

HamPster PamPster said:
How are the pc ports of the tomb raider games?

Between the hd collection and the reboot I bet they will go sale

Absolutely great. All look, run and control nicely, and have 360 pad support (TRL & A dont have button prompts i dont think, Underworld does). Only downer is the lack of Underworld DLC that i think only the 360 version got.

Baha

Best advice I can give for those of you who don't want to be broke by the end of the year is to make a wishlist of the games you really want to play and try to stick to that list during the sale.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Volcynika said:
No chance starting at midnight. Probably when the treasure hunt event is officially over (10 AM PST)
Sneaky Valve, wanting us to log into steam on the first day of their 2nd sale in a row just to make us salivate at the new sale. >.<

And for goodness sakes people, don't buy anything right away except the games that are part of the daily deal. Many of the games end up being less as part of the daily deals than they are as part of the 12-13 day sale.

Example: Say you see a game on sale tomorrow for $20 that is usually $40. Don't buy it right away. Wait and see if its part of one of the daily deals and if it's not, then buy it for $20 on the last day of the sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ogs said:
Absolutely great. All look, run and control nicely, and have 360 pad support (TRL & A dont have button prompts i dont think, Underworld does). Only downer is the lack of Underworld DLC that i think only the 360 version got.
Legend has the one "button prompt" colored yellow which coordinates with the Y button on the 360 pad. I believe it's the same case with Anniversary.

LovingSteam said:
And for goodness sakes people, don't buy anything right away except the games that are part of the daily deal. Many of the games end up being less as part of the daily deals than they are as part of the 12-13 day sale.

Example: Say you see a game on sale tomorrow for $20 that is usually $40. Don't buy it right away. Wait and see if its part of one of the daily deals and if it's not, then buy it for $20 on the last day of the sale.

This advice you should put at the very top of the official thread.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
LovingSteam said:
Heh. Not to mention the first 10 minutes or so of the sale when Fallout GOTY edition was like $30 or so.
Wasn't it $17? I only remember because I was too late :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Volcynika said:
And no one will read it and go "HEY DO YOU THINK THIS WILL GET CHEAPER?"
Regardless, it's one of the things that should be in OP for those of us on GAF who are educated enough to read.

Any other Steam top tips should be in new thread OP too.

Blizzard

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Or they'll buy it anyway, and then be like OMG STEAM RIPPED ME OFF, BOYCOTT VALVE!!!
Maybe the Witcher is what it happened with, I don't really remember...I seem to recall last Christmas sale there were a couple of games that changed price over a 24-hour period, or were on sale early and then got changed, and people who waited until the end of the sale got burned (by a whole $3 or so).

It's kind of funny in an evil way if Valve starts doing that more to thwart people who follow your advice. D:

Chris R

LovingSteam said:
Heh. Not to mention the first 10 minutes or so of the sale when Fallout GOTY edition was like $30 or so.
It was much cheaper than that. Basically only thing I missed out on last year.

Hoping to pick it up for 7.50 this sale, not really interested in much else.

Joe Molotov

My strategy is that if it's 75%+ off, I go ahead and buy it. If by some chance it goes even cheaper later in the sale, I'm not going to sweat it. A few dollars here and there isn't the end of the world.

rhfb said:
It was much cheaper than that. Basically only thing I missed out on last year.

Hoping to pick it up for 7.50 this sale, not really interested in much else.
Really? You must genuinely really hate that genre if you can't see how it would be worth $15 or more.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
LovingSteam said:

Especially if it is The Witcher.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Silly question: I added my humble inde bundle 2 key to steam and I only got 3 games. Am I missing something?

edit: nm looks like only 3 of 5 are on steam.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
mikespit1200 said:
Silly question: I added my humble inde bundle 2 key to steam and I only got 3 games. Am I missing something?
The other two games haven't been released on steam yet. Cortext Command is still in development (And is pretty buggy, I got it to crash in the tutorial), Revenge of the Titans just came out and I think it is also not finished yet.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
mikespit1200 said:
The code you added is technically a subscription code. Only those 3 games, Braid, Machinarium, and Osmos are available on steam. The other two are not. When and if they do become available on Steam, they will be added to your games library for you to download. I hope this clears things up.

HamPster PamPster said:
How are the pc ports of the tomb raider games?

Between the hd collection and the reboot I bet they will go sale

They are excellent. Pick up the PC version during the xmas sales. If you don't have it, you might want to picked up the Eidos complete pack.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
speculawyer said:
They are excellent. Pick up the PC version during the xmas sales. If you don't have it, you might want to picked up the Eidos complete pack.
You know, I have to wonder, since Steam now has combined Eidos and Square, will their be separate a Square and Eidos packs, or will it be one mega pack.

Drkirby said:
You know, I have to wonder, since Steam now has combined Eidos and Square, will their be separate a Square and Eidos packs, or will it be one mega pack.

There's no such thing as "Square" and "Eidos" anymore. If there's a Square-Enix publisher pack, it'll be everything Square-Enix publishes -- i.e. all "Square-Enix" and "Eidos" games.

vocab

Drkirby said:

They did last year.

Drkirby said:
Especially if it is The Witcher.

No. You should buy the witcher right away before they jack up the price again. Damn assholes.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's like, I know I'll end up buying a bunch of stuff, but I can't think what. I already own every game I can think of that I wanted.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Volcynika said:
And no one will read it and go "HEY DO YOU THINK THIS WILL GET CHEAPER?"
Is it wrong to say, if I was a mod. I'd ban people who saying this? It's like the most god awful question one can ask.

WanderingWind said:
It's like, I know I'll end up buying a bunch of stuff, but I can't think what. I already own every game I can think of that I wanted.

That's how I feel too :lol

Although, I might pick up Just Cause 2 if by some tiny chance it becomes cheap again. I was hesitant when it went on sale a few days ago, and I'm starting to regret it.

Volcynika

vocab said:
No. You should buy the witcher right away before they jack up the price again. Damn assholes.

It was at a lower price the publisher said to set it at, it isn't 'jacking up the price' at all. Besides, people who were too cheap to buy at that low price deserved it anyways. :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
charlequin said:
There's no such thing as "Square" and "Eidos" anymore. If there's a Square-Enix publisher pack, it'll be everything Square-Enix publishes -- i.e. all "Square-Enix" and "Eidos" games.
Its times like these I wish they would also put Taito's catalog up on Steam.

Chris R

Visualante said:
Really? You must genuinely really hate that genre if you can't see how it would be worth $15 or more.
Or I think the game is only worth 7.50 to me, so that is how much I'm willing to pay for it???

rhfb said:
Or I think the game is only worth 7.50 to me, so that is how much I'm willing to pay for it???
I've been in that situation before- I hate the third person shooter genre but I was willing to buy Kane & Lynch 2 for $5 (turned out I really liked it). I loved Fallout 3 so much I can't comprehend how someone could genuinely like a game like this and consider it only be worth 7.50. But then again I saw people waiting for Orange Box to hit £10 or less when it was £14. Consider this a recommendation if nothing else? Purely because I don't see it going on sale so low.

Shaneus

The Quiet Man said:
That's how I feel too :lol

Although, I might pick up Just Cause 2 if by some tiny chance it becomes cheap again. I was hesitant when it went on sale a few days ago, and I'm starting to regret it.
You're a bad person and you should feel bad.

It will be cheap again though, so you will have another opportunity to redeem yourself :)

Smash88

Banned
Shaneus said:
Yep, same. Toast will become a staple of my diet for the next 3-4... months :lol

:lol :lol

I'm giving myself a higher limit than last year. Last year was $25, this year $80 (maybe less maybe more - YAY TAX RETURN AT THE MOST OPPORTUNE TIME!) :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I haven't confirmed my Paypal account yet, and will likely do that Tuesday at the earliest.

Fuck I hope Super Meat Boy isn't a daily only sale on Monday or Tuesday or I'm gonna flip out. I don't even have my friend who usually gifts stuff to me that I pay him for in real life, to pay for me, cause he's on vacation. D:

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
enzo_gt said:
I haven't confirmed my Paypal account yet, and will likely do that Tuesday at the earliest.

Fuck I hope Super Meat Boy isn't a daily only sale on Monday or Tuesday or I'm gonna flip out. I don't even have my friend who usually gifts stuff to me that I pay him for in real life, to pay for me, cause he's on vacation. D:
If it is and you dont find someone else I can gift it to you, and you gift me something back on a later day. Wouldn't be much of a problem.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Toma said:
If it is and you dont find someone else I can gift it to you, and you gift me something back on a later day. Wouldn't be much of a problem.
I appreciate the offer and sincerity, my friend. Or if it's possible I could Paypal you the total amount once everything works out.

I'm still new to online shopping, so I have no idea how many more hurdles I'll have trying to link Steam through Paypal to my bank account, since I don't have a credit card myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom