• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
enzo_gt said:
I appreciate the offer and sincerity, my friend. Or if it's possible I could Paypal you the total amount once everything works out.

I'm still new to online shopping, so I have no idea how many more hurdles I'll have trying to link Steam through Paypal to my bank account, since I don't have a credit card myself.

I actually use ClickandBuy directly with Steam since I dont have credit card myself. But eh, if that really happens on the first day I am not in a hurry. Just gift me back something when its possible for you since I dont use Paypal. Maybe another Gaffer with Paypal could help you out though.
Oh and in case I forget,please remind me if its on sale during the first days.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Toma said:
I actually use ClickandBuy directly with Steam since I dont have credit card myself. But eh, if that really happens on the first day I am not in a hurry. Just gift me back something when its possible for you since I dont use Paypal. Maybe another Gaffer with Paypal could help you out though.
Oh and in case I forget,please remind me if its on sale during the first days.
I'll PM you if I think I need to be spotted for a game. And I'll see what's up when the sale actually rolls around, presumably tomorrow morning :p

IrishNinja

Drkirby said:
Its times like these I wish they would also put Taito's catalog up on Steam.

interesting - what titles would you want? its weird; first time that comes to mind for me with Tatio is Rastan.

1-D_FTW

The real mistake at last sale was the entire 1C collection. I dicked around waiting to let traffic die down and make sure the Steam servers wouldn't mess up the order and by then it was pulled. The entire collection for something retarded like 29 or 39 dollars.

Volcynika said:
It was at a lower price the publisher said to set it at, it isn't 'jacking up the price' at all. Besides, people who were too cheap to buy at that low price deserved it anyways. :p

Was it really, though? Not long after they pulled the price, a competing service had it for basically the same price. Steam whores that most of us are, it was largely ignored, but I still believe it sold more than they expected and thought they'd try a higher price and see how it affected sales.

Yasser

LovingSteam said:
Heh. Not to mention the first 10 minutes or so of the sale when Fallout GOTY edition was like $30 or so.
wasn't the entire 1c catalogue ridiculously cheap for about 10minutes as well? like all their games in a pack for $20 or something?

eznark

Banned
Screw that, OddBox day one. Give me some discounted Civilization DLC, some King Arthur RPG...hell anything, I'm spendy this time.

Minsc

Gold Member
Has there been any official mention of a starting date? I remember reading something about the 21st (tomorrow), but it was just mentioned as a guess a while ago.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Minsc said:
Has there been any official mention of a starting date? I remember reading something about the 21st (tomorrow), but it was just mentioned as a guess a while ago.

The day the current sale ends, aka today in a few hours as I am informed.
Quote:"It was kinda revealed in the scavenger hunt thread but Valve removed the reference, but the Oddworld bundle is being released on the 20th, and they mention it's half off the first day 'as part of the holiday sale'." - Endquote.

BrettWeir

I just want Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTYE Deluxe to go on sale. :) Only played vanilla on X360 when it first came out. Want to see the expansion packs and mod the crap out of it.

ArjanN

Minsc said:

The Oddbox is coming when the Steam sale starts and they mentioned the 20th.

I'm guessing after the countdown for the ojectives ends, so in a couple of hours.

BrettWeir said:
I just want Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTYE Deluxe to go on sale. :) Only played vanilla on X360 when it first came out. Want to see the expansion packs and mod the crap out of it.

me too, hopefully morrowind has a sale as well

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just want good deals on DA:O UE and Super Meat Boy. Santa Gabe, don't let me down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Minsc said:
Today. 3 hours from now. It was in the description of the Steam Treasure Hunt contest page, which said the treasure hunt ends when the Steam Winter Holiday sale begins, at 10AM PST today. That was quickly pulled though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
enzo_gt said:
Today. 3 hours from now. It was in the description of the Steam Treasure Hunt contest page, which said the treasure hunt ends when the Steam Winter Holiday sale begins, at 10AM PST today. That was quickly pulled though.
And the Oddworld site mentions this as well. The Oddboxx launch coincides with the start of the Holiday sale, which is why they're selling the pack for 50% off today as one of the daily deals.

kswiston

I think I spent $170 during last year's sales, but I'm hoping to be in the $50-60 range this year. The only thing giving me a chance in hell at staying within my budget is the fact that I am running out of games to buy. 216 titles on Steam and counting...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I keep getting suckered in to buying cheap games just because they're cheap, so I went through the entire Steam catalogue asking myself "Would this game be worth my time even if it was free?". As a result, I added 93 titles to my wishlist and I've promised myself I wouldn't buy anything not on my wishlist.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Stumpokapow said:
I keep getting suckered in to buying cheap games just because they're cheap, so I went through the entire Steam catalogue asking myself "Would this game be worth my time even if it was free?". As a result, I added 93 titles to my wishlist and I've promised myself I wouldn't buy anything not on my wishlist.
Watch as 90 of those games go on sale forcing you to pry those dollar bills from the dead corpse of your poor wallet.

John

i've got no budget limit on this. i mean, i don't buy games at all except during these routine DD sales. these are my games for the next year or so.

Toma

Easy_D said:
And the Oddworld site mentions this as well. The Oddboxx launch coincides with the start of the Holiday sale, which is why they're selling the pack for 50% off today as one of the daily deals.
I loved the first two. Are the latter two worth 13 dollars? Dont know how they compare to the first ones. Are they any good?

Minsc

Gold Member
shintoki said:
Bullshit. No wallet is ready to be a glory hole. It's just unpossible

True, although few problems are better than having to choose amongst way too many games I want at ridiculously low prices! I do hope Steam makes me regret those earlier words! :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
BrettWeir said:
When you get this, look up the Nehrim mod, amazing stuff.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Toma said:
I loved the first two. Are the latter two worth 13 dollars? Dont know how they compare to the first ones. Are they any good?
No idea, but I've been wanting to try them all out. I've waited for the Oddbox since it was first announced :lol.

Stumpokapow said:
'unless it's $2.50'

:(

From the relatively dated backlog I probably see myself grabbing the Splinter Cell, PoP and perhaps the Tomb Raider games. For the more recent titles I'm hoping to see sales on Borderlands: GOTY and Bad Company II.

I'd imagine there are more than a few others that I've not yet seen but they are the few that I'll certainly be keeping my eye on.

Eh, with the $2.50-$5 games I tend to play about 1/3 of the ones I buy.

But every now and then I'll hit on a game like Killing Floor or Defense Grid where I put 40+ hours into them so it works out in the end.

Toma said:

Haven't tried strangers wrath. It came out just when my original xbox was struck by lightning but munch's odyssey man on man it's worth the 13 bucks alone in my opinion.

Much of the excitement of these sales for many people, and I include myself in this, is buying ridiculously cheap games just for the sake of buying them. My pledge or limit this year isn't to buy fewer games or constrain myself monetarily but instead, I aim to at least play every single game I buy by the end of January.

Although there's no way I'm making that retroactive to past sales, because that would kill me!

John

GotEmRunnin said:
Haven't tried strangers wrath. It came out just when my original xbox was struck by lightning but munch's odyssey man on man it's worth the 13 bucks alone in my opinion.
really? i haven't played it but i thought the common opinion was that it was a waste. i'll get it if that's wrong though :eek:

Could anyone send a friend invite my way, need some for the Treasure hunt :lol (Same steamid as GAF name)

Also have a HL2 DM gift if anyone has managed to not own it by now.

John said:
really? i haven't played it but i thought the common opinion was that it was a waste. i'll get it if that's wrong though :eek:

If I recall there were a few spots or repetition in munch's game and a few of my buddies didn't like the transistion from the 2D abe games to the munch's 3D game but for what is was I really enjoyed the game. For me the good heavily outweighed the bad.

So it looks like Steam is allowing us to log in anytime today. You don't have to be suckered in by the deals later today to qualify for the treasure hunt grand prize.

You know you will look at the sale anyway.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm really hoping Divinity II: TDKS goes on sale. Or Risen. Or any good Euro RPG to tide me over until The Witcher 2 hits, actually.

I have a feeling nothing I really, really want will go on sale and yet I'll still be giving Gabe my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom