• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remy

Shaneus said:
That doesn't really explain much to me about why people are going batshit crazy over it.

It's an indie game from Japan that mostly revolves around you running an item shop that you would typically find in an RPG.

People are going apeshit for one or more of the following reasons:

1) It's from Japan.
2) It's an indie game.
3) They really like the concept of running an item shop.
4) It's on sale.
5) The game is actually pretty fun, if you're into buying/selling/adventuring.

*shrug*

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mine is supposedly capped at 15mbps down so it did feel good seeing a little over 9 mbps from Steam that one time. It's kind of pointless for me beyond Steam though because so many websites cap shit at 1-2mbps so I would never see the full speed anyways.

Polk

Zzoram said:
I think that governments should fine the crap out of ISPs for false advertising. Rogers in Canada claims 10MBit bit I've never seen over 1.5MBit on anything, not Steam, not Microsoft's MSDN. If real speeds are less than half of the advertised, they shouldn't be advertising such a high number.
I think all ISP can guarantee only speed inside their infrastructure. Everything behind router their edge router is beyond their control.
I mean you shouldn't expect to be able download 10Mbit while downloading file from let's say my FTP if I have 1Mbit upstream.
If you want guarantee of better transfers, ask for contract with CIR.
ask if you want to know how much actual CIR costs if you curious. I don't think anyone sane actually would need such home

Nabs

Stallion Free said:
Not even my peak
9.1 mbps
, but goddamn it feels good having no caps.

wtf0045.jpg

omgz01qa.jpg

feels better

Lothars

Zzoram said:
I think that governments should fine the crap out of ISPs for false advertising. Rogers in Canada claims 10MBit bit I've never seen over 1.5MBit on anything, not Steam, not Microsoft's MSDN. If real speeds are less than half of the advertised, they shouldn't be advertising such a high number.

Just wondering when you say that you only get 1.5 mb are you refering to your max download? technically when they say you are able to download 10 mb that is around 1 meg download, I have a 25 mb connection and get around 2.5 mb, sometimes higher sometimes lower.

Zzoram said:
Steam's memory footprint grows the longer you leave it on and the more different games you launch through it. Also, it grows the more you browse the store. It does seem to peak out around 280MB though, but a quick restart of Steam (not Windows) can cut it back down to like 35MB.
I notice it jump up when I use the UI, but as soon as I close the window, garbage collection seems to kick in.

Zzoram

Lothars said:
Just wondering when you say that you only get 1.5 mb are you refering to your max download? technically when they say you are able to download 10 mb that is around 1 meg download, I have a 25 mb connection and get around 2.5 mb, sometimes higher sometimes lower.

Ya I'm being stupid. 10MBit / 8 bit/kb = 1.25MByte

I've seen speeds close to that on occasion. I'm shocked at the people with 4.9MByte/9.9MByte downloads though, they must have 50-100MBit service.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, I have no idea what my company states, I just did an online speed test to figure out what my cap was most likely. It's crazy getting games almost as fast as they install from a DVD now though.

Shaneus

Remy said:
It's an indie game from Japan that mostly revolves around you running an item shop that you would typically find in an RPG.

People are going apeshit for one or more of the following reasons:

1) It's from Japan.
2) It's an indie game.
3) They really like the concept of running an item shop.
4) It's on sale.
5) The game is actually pretty fun, if you're into buying/selling/adventuring.

*shrug*
Thank you :)

Doesn't explain all the hype, but I found a mini-review of the demo that mentioned all the meta-gags that it comes with. That might explain the popularity a little better.

Shaneus said:
Thank you :)

Doesn't explain all the hype, but I found a mini-review of the demo that mentioned all the meta-gags that it comes with. That might explain the popularity a little better.

I just played through the demo, and think I'm going to have to buy. Too fun.

Struct09

Joe Molotov said:
Railworks is on sale for $30; it's getting mighty tempting. Anyone want to go in for a 4-pack? (j/k)

I'm waiting for the GOTY edition, which of course will include all the DLC

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
SteamTool, awesome.

Finally a nice easy tool to do it all with instead of trying to use mklink and fucking it all up :lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
My friend gifted me Railworks today that is on offer, well chuffed, it's pretty awesome being a train driver, quite relaxing.

commissar

looks like gagom on omnizombie gaf group has his account hacked, or most likely isn't associated with gaf?

anyway be careful what you click out there :)

nm botolf sorted it :>

No Midweek Madness. I wonder why? Maybe we'll get a Labor Day Sales Event?
More than likely, it's because Valve doesn't want to overload the servers while they work on the server upgrades and additions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Visualante said:
I think the bigger deal with be Infinity Ward dropping PunkBuster in favour of VAC.

It's Treyarch.

But yeah, I'm actually kind of excited about Black Ops. Dedicated servers and no PunkBuster! Yay!

I already own Company of Heroes. Are Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor worth it? What do they add. I would also add that the only other strategy game I've played is Civilization IV, and I'm kind of bad at it (if the leadership score means anything).

gillty

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
I already own Company of Heroes. Are Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor worth it? What do they add. I would also add that the only other strategy game I've played is Civilization IV, and I'm kind of bad at it (if the leadership score means anything).
Opposing Fronts adds two more factions. ToV is pretty much worthless.

TouchMyBox said:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps

copy that folder to your external drive.

format your machine, install steam and log in. Close steam, go and delete the steamapps folder it just generated for you and replace it with your backed up steamapps folder.

Your games will all say they need to be updated, just "resume download" on all of them and in a few minutes you're back up and running.
brain_stew said:
Just copy the Steamapps folder over.

Then on your new PC install Steam. Quit out, copy the steamapps folder back over, boot up Steam and it'll do all its magic for you.

Edit: Beaten!
I said I would post from my new Pc install the next post i made in this thread, and i am. And this worked like a charm. Thanks again, guys.

I did lose my GTA ELFC Save, but it's ok. I'm now hoping Steam cloud saved my TF2 data. lol

Struct09 said:
I'm waiting for the GOTY edition, which of course will include all the DLC
That's going to be one expensive and large GOTY edition!

crimsonheadGCN said:
Blade Kitten was added to the "Coming Soon" list.
Yes this shocked me a bit, I was thinking it was a psn and xbl game only, i'll still grab it on console but it's good to know one day I can own it on pc too :D

SapientWolf said:
Looks like Windows 7 64 bit is gonna overtake Windows XP next month.

Bits aside, Windows 7 accounts for 42.44% of Steam Users in August compared to 32.08% on XP and 20.03% on Vista. Only 5% of users were on some form of MacOS, which represents a decline from July's 5.07%. A minuscule drop to be sure but I would have thought that number would have increased, not decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom