• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

Stallion Free said:
Blade Kitten looks awesome. I hadn't look into it until now and I'll probably be picking it up.
First thing I noticed after checking the store page:
3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
3 machine activation limit
Grats on losing a sale before I even considered it, Atari.

Instro

epmode said:
First thing I noticed after checking the store page: Grats on losing a sale before I even considered it, Atari.

Doesnt that mean you can only have it installed on 3 different computers at once? Doesnt seem so bad, unless it means you can only install it three times total.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
epmode said:
First thing I noticed after checking the store page: Grats on losing a sale before I even considered it, Atari.
I wonder what goes through the heads of whoever decides that a steam version of a game should have a second layer of DRM.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
epmode said:
Nooooooooooo. If there is one thing Steam needs to crack down on, it's not allowing devs/publishers to have activation/install limits.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea the 3 install limit is a little odd considering it has steam cloud support.

I mentioned it in the ausgaf thread, hopefully the giant space lesbian notices and can do some magic about it. Doubtful but you never know :D

mbnmac

Neo Member
A question to my fellow mac steam users, is anybody else having trouble connecting after the latest update?

I'm re-installed steam and updated it, power cycled everything and all other internet is working, but I keep getting the message steam cannot connect.

Anybody having something similar?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Bits aside, Windows 7 accounts for 42.44% of Steam Users in August compared to 32.08% on XP and 20.03% on Vista. Only 5% of users were on some form of MacOS, which represents a decline from July's 5.07%. A minuscule drop to be sure but I would have thought that number would have increased, not decreased.

It probably just means that of the Mac users who tried Steam out, a lot of them discovered, to their horror, that their Macbooks are completely underpowered when it comes to playing 3D games.

Gooboo

evlcookie said:
Yea the 3 install limit is a little odd considering it has steam cloud support.

I mentioned it in the ausgaf thread, hopefully the giant space lesbian notices and can do some magic about it. Doubtful but you never know :D

Yep it's an error. Relax it's plain old normal Steam protection.

We were a bit surprised to see that too.

Valve is fixing that info.

ArjanN

Zefah said:
It probably just means that of the Mac users who tried Steam out, a lot of them discovered, to their horror, that their Macbooks are completely underpowered when it comes to playing 3D games.

Ice cold.

Zefah said:
Or it could be because everyone finished the games they were playing in July and Valve hasn't really released anything for Mac Steam since then.

Rufus

I've bought it from Impulse and have been playing for a while now. I'm surprised how much Nico actually gets to do. None of it seems to be of any consequence for the story from the original version, they'd have to re-work too much, but it's still nice. I though she only had that little 'prologue' segment.

Gooboo said:
Yep it's an error. Relax it's plain old normal Steam protection.

We were a bit surprised to see that too.

Valve is fixing that info.
I said this in the F12010 thread but if there's one thing Valve need to sort out it's wrong page information, they do it all too often and is probably the only big down point to steam right now, takes 24+ hours to be fixed because you have to contact valve to change it.

randomwab said:
$10 = £10 on the UK Store. What the hell?
Broken Sword's really good but what's up with the new puzzles? Match these letters to these symbols. Not once but twice! Fun times indeed.

The hint system is really good if you're feeling lazy.

Recon

Banned
Zefah said:

Thats weird, my macbook play CS:S, TF2, and HON just fine. I know HoN isnt steam, but i still throw it out there since it is a more popular game. And by just fine, i meant ovevr 40 fps at good settings.

Kenichi

Neo Member
As someone who has never played Company of Heroes, is the game worth it for just the single player campaigns?

Remy

mbnmac said:
A question to my fellow mac steam users, is anybody else having trouble connecting after the latest update?

I'm re-installed steam and updated it, power cycled everything and all other internet is working, but I keep getting the message steam cannot connect.

Anybody having something similar?

Nope, everything's fine on my iMac.

Also (apologies if old), but Telltale's Poker Night at the Inventory and Chime are both available for pre-purchase. (Chime has been listed for a while but didn't have a buy button.)

Kenichi said:
As someone who has never played Company of Heroes, is the game worth it for just the single player campaigns?
No. Company of Heroes Online will be coming out soon, which is a free to play version of the Original COH. It will have the full COH campaign and multiplayer for free.

Kenichi said:

I've only got through the opening few missions but they've all been very impressive so far. So I would say yes, especially at that price.

Kenichi

Neo Member
Darkshier said:
No. Company of Heroes Online will be coming out soon, which is a free to play version of the Original COH. It will have the full COH campaign and multiplayer for free.

SenorDingDong said:
I've only got through the opening few missions but they've all been very impressive so far. So I would say yes, especially at that price.

Hmm, I guess I will think on it. Thanks for the input!

Kenichi said:
Hmm, I guess I will think on it. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I didn't know about the free version coming out. I guess if you're just after the base game you could wait for that. Unfortunately I can't really pass judgement on the quality of the expansions yet so maybe it's worth investigating some reviews.

speculawyer said:
Every weekend sale now seems to be for something I already have. :-/

THQ bundle games seem to crop up with more frequency as sales than anything else (even more than Valve games do).

I think every time theres a steam megasale and people panic about getting the - usually great value - THQ complete packs I mention that they are by far the most likely culprits to pop up again in sales.

SmokyDave

Truespeed said:
Perhaps. Can you smash into other trains?
Hell yeah you can. That's all I do!

I want to buy Altitude but my bloody card has been blocked on Steam again :( I wish my bank would learn that I'm a serial impulse purchaser.

Rubezh

Rufus said:
Because it's garbage. Seriously though, why? It's on no other DD service either.

Well I wouldn't know as I haven't played it myself. There's plenty of games that are "garbage" on Steam but that doesn't stop them from being there. It'd be good to have it to complete the collection.

coopolon

Sinatar said:
If you don't own CoH and don't buy this then you are a very bad person.

I do own CoH, but if I didn't, I wouldn't buy it now since it's going to be free for everyone pretty soon. And it's not like the game never goes on sale. I would advise people to play the game for free, then if they like it pick up the expansion packs down the line when it inevitably goes on sale again. Plus, it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually add the expansion packs to the free2play game.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Cossacks: Back to War is now available on Steam for $4.99 with a special limited time savings of 20$ ($3.99).

Think this is the series that GSC Games were best known for prior to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

Nice! I played the original to death way back in 2001, so I bought this just for the nostalgia. It holds up surprisingly well on my 1080p resolution. The 2D sprites still look crisp, and the gameplay is still as addictive as ever. :D

I already have CoH vanilla, and the completist in me wants to buy the others just so all 6 campaigns in the Main Menu are unlocked. :/ Are they worth it? I'm not really interested in multiplayer (would be too humiliating).

faceless007 said:
I already have CoH vanilla, and the completist in me wants to buy the others just so all 6 campaigns in the Main Menu are unlocked. :/ Are they worth it? I'm not really interested in multiplayer (would be too humiliating).
I have both expansions and I still think the original campaign is way better than either expansion. Opposing Fronts is actually really fun, the British Campaign is short but sweet, as is the Panzer Elite. I spend most of my COH time playing multiplayer though, so it's hard to say. I wouldn't get Tales of Valor, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom