• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

kamspy said:
So what's the damn weekend sale?

Is it really Space Siege?

Yeesh you are impatient. Weekend sale usually goes up on Thursday or Friday.

Space Siege has been on sale for at least a couple days.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
LocoMrPollock said:
Can't believe I'm more excited for Recettear tomorrow than I am for Reach Tuesday :lol
*reads description for game*

"Recettear is the story of an item shop, the girl who lives in it, and the fairy that turned her life upside down."

Dude, what? What? Why is this game selling so well on steam? I feel like less of a man for just reading the description and looking at the cover art.

Chiaroscuro said:
Hey, what happened to TopGun? It is not available anymore.

Taken off temporarily due to a localization issue.

BobsRevenge said:

"Recettear is the story of an item shop, the girl who lives in it, and the fairy that turned her life upside down."

Dude, what? What? Why is this game selling so well on steam? I feel like less of a man for just reading the description and looking at the cover art.

Should try out the demo. It's pretty fun.

It's an Japanese Indie title that was localized by a small studio compromised of two individuals from the SomethingAwful forums.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BobsRevenge said:
One of my buddies told me that the game over is if you fail to keep up with paying off debt and you have to live in a cardboard box. If that doesn't sell you on the game, I don't know what will.

BobsRevenge

Stallion Free said:
One of my buddies told me that the game over is if you fail to keep up with paying off debt and you have to live in a cardboard box. If that doesn't sell you on the game, I don't know what will.
Can you give out predatory credit to the less fortunate patrons of your shop? Or would your fairy slap you for being bad?

BobsRevenge said:

From the mouths of one of the translators:
Recettear is an RPG with two major game modes: the item store simulator and the dungeon diving section, with story bits placed in between to be perused as you see fit.

The game's a tale of an item shop, the girl who lives in it, and the fairy who turned her life upside down.

Recette Lemongrass, our brave, noble hero, is confronted one day by Tear, a fairy from the Terme Finance group. Mr. Lemongrass apparently took out a huge loan before he ran off to "try and be a hero" - and now that he's gone missing, it's up to Recette to pay that loan off. She's going to have to do that by running the item shop and hoping she can make enough money to prevent Terme from taking her shop (and house) along with her kneecaps. She likes her kneecaps.

press_shot_8.jpg

The largest goal of the game is to earn enough money to pay off Tear each week until the entire loan is paid off. To that end, you'll run your item shop - stock items, put them on display, determine prices, try to play the market for maximum profitability.

press_shot_3.jpg

Of course, it isn't just about selling - it's about how you look, too. Once you gain a bit of experience as a merchant you'll be able to customize your store in a bevy of ways: walls, flooring, carpets, counters... the combinations are vast, and affect what kind of clientele you get.

press_shot_6.jpg

The path to riches doesn't just lie in the market, though. You can also find various adventurers to recruit throughout the game and take them into the dungeons that litter the countryside around the city Recette lives in. Anything you find there can be sold for 100% profit, assuming you don't get used as a dishrag by the horrid beasts lurking within.

Capitalism, ho!

for Stallion, here's the game over screen:

380af.jpg

BobsRevenge

uhh, Patrician 4 is coming out soon. I'd rather buy that (if it turns out well). That suits my sensibilities far better and I loved the 3rd one.

I still can't get Worms Reloaded working. Still giving me that stupid game is unavailable error. Really killed my mood for buying smaller games on Steam. I'd probably pick up Recettear if it wasn't for that.

VGChampion said:
I still can't get Worms Reloaded working. Still giving me that stupid game is unavailable error. Really killed my mood for buying smaller games on Steam. I'd probably pick up Recettear if it wasn't for that.
There's a demo. Download it. If it works, buy it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fuckkk, Rocket I think you just guaranteed that I will try and possibly buy the game. Does it have pad support? Would using a 360 pad make sense?

Holy shit, huge mice wielding huge crowbars. No wonder this game is so popular.

Stallion Free said:
Fuckkk, Rocket I think you just guaranteed that I will try and possibly buy the game. Does it have pad support? Would using a 360 pad make sense?
I believe it does have pad support. If not, maybe some people were using Joy2Key. Pad support definitely makes sense, as there's only 5 buttons and the arrow keys for the keyboard, by default. I think you can map a few extra features as well, if you use the custom.exe the game comes with.

It's got "Controller Enabled" on the Steam store, though.

BobsRevenge said:
Can you give out predatory credit to the less fortunate patrons of your shop? Or would your fairy slap you for being bad?
You can butter up each patron by offering them good prices initially, so that they're more willing to spend more money on better goods. Someone managed to do THIS in the demo.

Note the absurd amount of cash. For reference, the first week's debt is "only" 10k, and normally it's hard to buy items from other people for less than 50%.
wjcr44.jpg

Davidion

Recettear actually sounds really interesting.

I decided to skip on Puzzle Quest 2; not sure why I wasn't feeling it considering I usually love the genre. I think backlog overkill is getting to me. :lol

Forkball said:
That item store RPG turns into a hentai game if you don't pay back the loan, doesn't it?
No, you just live in a box (see above).

Also, your demo save can be carried over into the full game. Just be sure to save often, because there's no autosave.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, it apparently does have pad support, you just have to configure it beforehand with a pre-launch configuration tool.

I, myself, was so enraged by the confusing title screen that the game started off fairly low on my patience meter. I shut it off a few minutes after and razed my computer, desk, and home to earth.

morningbus said:
Yeah, it apparently does have pad support, you just have to configure it beforehand with a pre-launch configuration tool.

I, myself, was so enraged by the confusing title screen that the game started off fairly low on my patience meter. I shut it off a few minutes after and razed my computer, desk, and home to earth.
But where will you live now?

BobsRevenge

Honestly, I'd be just as frightened playing Recettear with my roommates around and the threat of them seeing me playing it than I am when I play Amnesia. :lol

I don't need them thinking I'm a creepy dude who reads manga while sitting indian style in the middle of the isle in a Borders. We haven't known each other for that long yet.

The game turns the kawai up to 11, it seems. Too much kawai for me. I'd have to watch two games of football, followed by the Die Hard movies, and then spend, like, 5 hours at the gym just to return to normal.

BobsRevenge said:
Honestly, I'd be just as frightened playing Recettear with my roommates around and the threat of them seeing me playing it than I am when I play Amnesia. :lol

I don't need them thinking I'm a creepy dude who reads manga while sitting indian style in the middle of the isle in a Borders. We haven't known each other for that long yet.

The game turns the kawai up to 11, it seems. Too much kawai for me. I'd have to watch two games of football, followed by the Die Hard movies, and then spend, like, 5 hours at the gym just to return to normal.

Uh, maybe you should lighten up?

If you enjoy something who gives a fuck what other people think?

Nabs

VGChampion said:

That's a weird problem to have. Were you able to download Worms? If not, you should change your download server and try again. It shouldn't be happening.

Rufus

Or delete the clientregistry.blob in your Steam folder (in your Documents or so, I forget), it seems to be a magic cure of some sort.

RocketDarkness said:
I believe it does have pad support.
It does, with a 360 pad at least. Haven't tested any others, though I'd imagine that they work too. You don't get the correct button overlays though, so you have to know that button 1 (or 0, I forget) is the A button, etc. Not terribly difficult to get a hang of, since you won't have to do any pad-fu under duress as you get accustomed to the game.

As to being ashamed. I can see how it might worry because of how it looks, but if you're so insecure in your masculinity or so afraid of being made fun of for playing it you might just need to man the fuck up. Because you've already lost man-points for being a baby about this.

Dina

Davidion said:
I decided to skip on Puzzle Quest 2; not sure why I wasn't feeling it considering I usually love the genre. I think backlog overkill is getting to me. :lol

It's cool, skip it. After three hours I realized the game wasn't getting any different.

denomes

Nabs said:
Nyx is one of my favorite WiiWare games (just behind Toki Tori and MM9)

Ah, so it was previously out on WiiWare?

Apart from the actual title of the game (which is terrible), I think it looks pretty cool. Might give it a shot.

Nabs

NyxQuest was a last minute name change. They were threatened with a lawsuit and changed it from Icarian: Kindred Spirits to avoid any trouble.

Instro

Nabs said:
NyxQuest was a last minute name change. They were threatened with a lawsuit and changed it from Icarian: Kindred Spirits to avoid any trouble.

Yeah but you'd think they could have come up with something better than NyxQuest. Jut call it Kindred Spirits or something. Any idea what price this will be, always wanted to play it but never got it on Wiiware.

JoeBoy101 said:
OOOOOhhhh, any good? Anybody try Blood Bowl? I loved the board game and kept hoping for it on the recent summer sale.

There's a new version of Blood Bowl coming out soon and it'll have more content then this version.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
crimsonheadGCN said:
There's a new version of Blood Bowl coming out soon and it'll have more content then this version.

Blah I hate when they do that. I guess I'm spoiled by the Valve model of content updates. I might still bite, though.

Regarding the Age of Wonders Trilogy: I emailed Triumph Studios and asked them when the release will occur for the digital release and today I got the following reply:

Hi ~,

Thank you for your interest in Age of Wonders.
At this moment I cannot give you an fixed date, but we are very close to releasing the games to digital distribution services. As soon as the platforms are confirmed we will communicate which services we will be using.

For now, please bear with us a little longer :)

Thanks a lot,

Marco

Associate producer
m: marco@triumphstudios.com
t: ~

Mrbob

crimsonheadGCN said:

Guess it is worth holding out for. I also noticed on the current Blood Bowl page it uses secure rom DRM and I try to limit the amount of secure rom I have on my computer so no thanks.

BobsRevenge

Rufus said:
As to being ashamed. I can see how it might worry because of how it looks, but if you're so insecure in your masculinity or so afraid of being made fun of for playing it you might just need to man the fuck up. Because you've already lost man-points for being a baby about this.
I wouldn't be ashamed so much as embarassed. I mean, I love pleated 8" shorts, but I'd be embarrassed as hell wearing them in public with my fucked up leg tan lines. :lol

edit: And my tastes in general just aren't aligned with anime stylings. Like I said, Patrician IV looks like a much better merchant game to me.

New beta is out and it adds the Steam Wallet:

The Steam Wallet, Steamworks' newest feature, is now available for public testing. With Steam Wallet, you can add value to your Steam account using any of the payment methods supported by Steam. Funds in your Steam Wallet may then be used to buy any item available on the Steam store, or combined with other payment methods to make a purchase.

To help us test this new feature, now in beta, click here and follow the instructions available there. Remember, even in beta, purchases are real. You should only fund with money you actually plan to use on Steam. And as always, please report any feedback here on the forums. Thanks!

If you would like to test in your browser, please visit:
http://store.steampowered.com/steamaccount/addfunds/

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16924732&postcount=1

Alien8

Steam Wallet Beta Now Available

The Steam Wallet, Steamworks' newest feature, is now available for public testing. With Steam Wallet, you can add value to your Steam account using any of the payment methods supported by Steam. Funds in your Steam Wallet may then be used to buy any item available on the Steam store, or combined with other payment methods to make a purchase.

To help us test this new feature, now in beta, click here and follow the instructions available there. Remember, even in beta, purchases are real. You should only fund with money you actually plan to use on Steam. And as always, please report any feedback here on the forums. Thanks!

If you would like to test in your browser, please visit:
http://store.steampowered.com/steamaccount/addfunds/

Hmmm... interesting, but it raises a lot of questions concerning security and hijacking of accounts. Also, anyone said steam gift cards?

EDIT: beaten.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Alien8 said:
Hmmm... interesting, but it raises a lot of questions concerning security and hijacking of accounts. Also, anyone said steam gift cards?

EDIT: beaten.
I have a hard time understanding what this would be for if not for gift cards and direct monetary gifts.

poppabk said:
I have a hard time understanding what this would be for if not for gift cards and direct monetary gifts.

It's to make international gifting to bypass stupid region-specific price hikes easier. (assuming that you can send someone some money that goes into their wallet) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom