• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Molotov said:
Anyone know what happened to Top Gun? It was there for like a day, then it just disappeared into the ether. I was going to buy it, it didn't look very good, but I was just curious.
I think someone said localization issues.

Tryckser said:
Okay.... I just pre-purchased KB:Crossworlds and it started downloading. I thought "oh nice, preload already"... but now I can start and play it already :D

Is this my lucky day?

The changes it makes to the Armored Princess campaign, are they available if you've already got a save, or do you have to start over? I just started the game recently and am not too far into it, I'd restart now if I could (probably switch class to warrior too, not doing so well with the paladin).

Weenerz

Banned
Boo, I just purchased City of Heroes: Going Rogue and even though it confirmed via email that I purchased it, it isn't showing up in my games list and it prompts me to contact support.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Heads up: Direct2Drive has a $10 coupon this weekend if you spend $50, although I'm not sure if $49.99 could qualify (although you could theoretically add a Defense Grid map pack for $0.99 to get over that threshold). You can get Fallout New Vegas or Civ5 and activate it on Steam.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Sorry for double posting, but it looks like King's Bounty Crossworlds for $9.99 was a price mistake. It is listed for $19.99 now.

Archie said:
Sorry for double posting, but it looks like King's Bounty Crossworlds for $9.99 was a price mistake. It is listed for $19.99 now.
thank god i paid for it when it was $10 :lol

EDIT: Omg. they cancelled my order? WTF. fuck Steam :\

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
aimkL.png

Ok, that's not cool. I was playing it this morning too.

DMPrince said:

Strange, they haven't done that in the past. I remember when Trine came out at $19.99 and then went up to $29.99 an hour later.

TouchMyBox said:
Strange, they haven't done that in the past. I remember when Trine came out at $19.99 and then went up to $29.99 an hour later.
well i'll wait a few days. it shows paypal was deducted $9.99. it'll clear eventually but if my bank withdraws the money for it i'll complain to steam. :\
Oh well. will wait for a sale. No point in getting it since i already own everything. I just want CW for cheap.

UNLESS i still own the game. maybe it wasn't meant to be unlocked until 5 days from now.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Maybe they just locked Crossworld. I can still play the original KB with the package I purchased. I would be very disappointed if my purchase was canceled.

Blizzard

Banned
DMPrince said:

Once the game release date comes, let us know if they actually cancelled your completed order. That's not really cool, and I don't think they've done it before at all, like someone said. They've basically always honored a sale at whatever price you picked it up at, i.e. the big special sales where some people get games really cheap off of price mistakes. At least you'll get a refund presumably.

They've honored mistakes for already released content, but I don't think there's ever been a case where there was a mistake with the pricing of a pre-order.

Blizzard

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
They've honored mistakes for already released content, but I don't think there's ever been a case where there was a mistake with the pricing of a pre-order.
Hmm, that's probably a good point. At any rate, I don't know what game developers/publishers would consider it good public relations to cancel people's orders who actually bought their game ahead of time. I guess if half of those people buy the game at full price they'd almost make up the money lost though.

JADS

Are 16:9 resolutions still broken in King's Bounty?

Edit: Reading a few pages back they still are, wtf? No sale for me until a price drop.

graywolf323

Archie said:

damn, well I'll wait for a 50% off sale then :lol

crimsonheadGCN said:

pretty sure the Dragon Age digital deluxe was mistakenly priced $10 less when it first went up and they honored that for everyone who got their orders in during the 24 hours or so before they fixed it

Blizzard

Banned
JADS said:
Are 16:9 resolutions still broken in King's Bounty?

Edit: Reading a few pages back they still are, wtf? No sale for me until a price drop.
Yikes, good thing I have a 16:10 monitor. :lol How is it broken? Black bars, or stretching?

And I believe King's Bounty was already on sale for $5, and Armored Princess for $10, and that's presumably when I got both of them.

JADS

Blizzard said:
Yikes, good thing I have a 16:10 monitor. :lol How is it broken? Black bars, or stretching?

And I believe King's Bounty was already on sale for $5, and Armored Princess for $10, and that's presumably when I got both of them.

It's Pillarboxed in 16:9 . A patch has been promised for ages but of course it was never released... :lol

Draft

Safe Bet said:
I have a buddy who needs to play it but dunno if I can talk him into buying it.

:(

He's a pleb, etc, etc...
No joke: I've got a gift copy that's been sitting in my library for years. Literally years. Give me your buddies Steam ID/email, it's his.

Domstercool

Made steam run in offline mode and the game booted up fine (Crossworld)

Edit: oh crap, I went to go back to online mode and it snuck a quick download on me, fuuuuuuuuuuu :lol

Safe Bet

Banned
Gexecuter said:
Are you trying to turn him into a PC gamer or something like that?
Yup...

Both of us are switching over.

He sold his Xbox, I'm not renewing my Live sub (which basically makes my Xbox a paperweight), etc...

animlboogy said:
I'm playing through it this weekend for the first time in years. The sound design alone is worth it.
The first fifteen minutes is masterful imo.

Ok guys, im at my wits end here. I had stopped playing l4d, l4d2, tf2 for a while and came back to l4d2 in the last few days and i notice no matter what i ping from 115 which is the norm all the way up to 150 and no matter what i have done my ping does not go down to the norm for me which is anywhere from 5 ping to 50 ping. I have tried to isolate every damn thing that could be causing this including turning off my antivirus, windows firewall, testing my dsl speeds(which is normal) and making sure steam and all games from valve are let thru my firewall. However nothing has changed at all and no matter what game i join i get the high pings from 115 to 150, anyone got anything?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
StarEye said:
Have they made King's Bounty controls less... clunky? I bought King's Bounty from GOG.com, but I just can't get past the damn tank controls for a free camera. I'd either want to be able to move the camera with WASD, or have a camera related controls. If I use mouse only, I keep having to correct the camera, then click on new spot, then correct the camera a click on new spot, etc etc.

Seriously, a control system like WoW/any mmorpg would work a lot better for this game. I love the game otherwise, but the control system frustrates me.

Anyone?

Blizzard

Banned
harriet the spy said:
I am somehow suspecting this has been posted before, but has anyone read this story?
http://gloriouscomputing.wordpress....-you-should-think-twice-about-trusting-steam/

I know it's just one user's story, but steam's attitude in this whole affair is scary. If they lock down your account, does that mean you cannot play your purchased games anymore?
Yes, it's pretty well known that any chargeback, including one you're unaware of by Paypal, will result in you losing all of your potentially hundreds of games, unless you had a complete installed playable backup of all of them in an offline-Steam-mode Windows install partition. I like Steam and I'm basically gambling that it won't happen to me. Basically, be super careful with your purchases especially if it's not a normal major credit card.

It's another reason not to use PayPal, incidentally -- see also the thing that's going on with Minecraft right now where the game author has like 600,000+ euros sitting in the account because they temporarily stopped him being able to withdraw money from it and apparently even threatened to keep it if they decided something bad was going on.

Yes, it would be nice if there was some guarantee that you can play your existing $500 worth of purchased, verified, games even if something goes wrong with your account or they decide a particular purchase is suspect (which can result in you waiting days for them to respond to customer support over a weekend or something). I suppose they don't have that for some sort of business reasons, however.

harriet the spy said:
I am somehow suspecting this has been posted before, but has anyone read this story?
http://gloriouscomputing.wordpress....-you-should-think-twice-about-trusting-steam/

I know it's just one user's story, but steam's attitude in this whole affair is scary. If they lock down your account, does that mean you cannot play your purchased games anymore?

- Paypal fucked up (I know, hard to believe) and didn't pay the vendor for the item the consumer purchased.
- Paypal in fact charged back the transaction (note: credit chargebacks to vendors are a serious thing and if enough of them happen that company becomes unable to take credit cards any more. Think for a moment how being unable to take credit card payments might affect a DD service.)
- Steam marked the account as disputed as it had taken goods without paying for them. This is standard practice for any company that deals with online payments, becasue, again, credit companies are very strict about what levels of fraud prevention are taken. Issuing a chargeback is effectively stating that the transaction was fraudulent, and reputable companies cannot allow known fraudulent transactions to continue on an account.
- Steam sends a message stating exactly why the account is disabled, with a link to PayPals payment resolution page, and a message that it is PayPals fault and that they should correct it - because wtf else can Steam do in this situation?
- PayPal are a bit shit at resolving this (I know, who'd have thought?) and repeatedly throw the blame back at Steam.
- This whole situation is then all Steams fault somehow.

Fredescu said:
Disgusting. It makes the constant steam circlejerk on gaf all the more annoying.

MrNyarlathotep said:
- Paypal fucked up (I know, hard to believe) and didn't pay the vendor for the item the consumer purchased.
- Paypal in fact charged back the transaction (note: credit chargebacks to vendors are a serious thing and if enough of them happen that company becomes unable to take credit cards any more. Think for a moment how being unable to take credit card payments might affect a DD service.)
- Steam marked the account as disputed as it had taken goods without paying for them. This is standard practice for any company that deals with online payments, becasue, again, credit companies are very strict about what levels of fraud prevention are taken. Issuing a chargeback is effectively stating that the transaction was fraudulent, and reputable companies cannot allow known fraudulent transactions to continue on an account.
- Steam sends a message stating exactly why the account is disabled, with a link to PayPals payment resolution page, and a message that it is PayPals fault and that they should correct it - because wtf else can Steam do in this situation?
- PayPal are a bit shit at resolving this (I know, who'd have thought?) and repeatedly throw the blame back at Steam.

Oh, come the fuck on, this is just as much Steam's fault as it is Paypal's fault. They got an email, didn't reply to it. As much as I dislike paypal, it is good that there is a dispute system asking for information from both seller and buyer. That steam didnt bother to reply to paypal's inquiry is entirely steam's fault. I know it's probably a computer behind that email, but it does not change a thing.

Threatening because paypal closed a dispute, while the customer had no say in how to change that? How fucking stupid is that? Not letting the customer pay with another means of payment?

At the end of story, paypal fucked up, but steam is the one fucking up their customer.

edit: as much as i dislike paypal, i don't even see how they did much wrong here. Because of security reasons, they didn't go through with a transaction. They contacted both customer and seller. Seller didn't reply, got fucked. Seems completely fair to me. The one thing which is stupid is that they don't let disputes be reopened. Seems much less serious than not letting someone change their payment options.

Blizzard

Banned
MrNyarlathotep said:
Yes in general, but that page seemed to indicate that PayPal contacted Valve and Valve did not respond to the contact in a timely manner. Maybe it was too quick of a deadline or Valve does not respond to such requests though (why?).

Also, if anyone is interested, the subscriber agreement is here: http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

C. Termination by Valve.

1. In the case of a recurring payment Subscription (e.g., a monthly subscription), in the event that Valve terminates or cancels your Account or a particular Subscription for convenience, Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide a prorated refund of any prepaid Subscription fees paid to Valve.
2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.
Other than that, it seems that their agreement states repeatedly that no refunds in any form are given if you lose games or your account due to you or Valve's choice. It is of course unlikely that Valve would screw you over intentionally due to publicity, but there you go if you're a legal beagle.

harriet the spy said:

Well, it does send shiver down my spine. But not the way that the author intended, but regarding Paypal. I wouldn´t trust a system that does chargebacks as routines and so completely screws up. I have payed all my Steam games with my VISA card since 2007, and will continue to do so.

Fredescu

harriet the spy said:
Disgusting. It makes the constant steam circlejerk on gaf all the more annoying.
The guy got his account back in the end. Then he posted that he got his account suspended a second time, but no idea what that was about.

harriet the spy said:
Oh, come the fuck on, this is just as much Steam's fault as it is Paypal's fault. They got an email, didn't reply to it. As much as I dislike paypal, it is good that there is a dispute system asking for information from both seller and buyer. That steam didnt bother to reply to paypal's inquiry is entirely steam's fault. I know it's probably a computer behind that email, but it does not change a thing.

Threatening because paypal closed a dispute, while the customer had no say in how to change that? How fucking stupid is that? Not letting the customer pay with another means of payment?

At the end of story, paypal fucked up, but steam is the one fucking up their customer.

Honestly, if it came to a 'Paypals word versus Valves word' that such an email was ever sent by PayPal, I wouldn't side with PayPal.

There are a LOT more horror stories regarding PayPals business methods than Valves.

Certainly in my experience with online transactions, companies suspecting fraudulent payments on an account tend to contact the customer and ask if they in fact made that payment rather than the vendor to ask if someone tried to buy something.

EDIT:
harriet the spy said:
edit: as much as i dislike paypal, i don't even see how they did much wrong here. Because of security reasons, they didn't go through with a transaction. They contacted both customer and seller. Seller didn't reply, got fucked. Seems completely fair to me. The one thing which is stupid is that they don't let disputes be reopened. Seems much less serious than not letting someone change their payment options.

I mean, read the timeline of events:

29th June - PayPal chargeback a transaction (ie stated it was a fraudulent transaction)

10th July - Customer finds out the transaction was chargebacked.

...really, PayPal? Wait 2 weeks before letting someone know their account has been suspended for suspected fraud? :/

EDIT2: In fact, rereading it, it doesn't seem like PayPal made any effort whatsoever to notify the customer about this, he only found out about it when Valve locked his account.
That's not how I would want anyone conducting financial transactions on my behalf to behave.

Fredescu said:
The guy got his account back in the end. Then he posted that he got his account suspended a second time, but no idea what that was about.

This shit should still not happen. DRM should prevent you from using pirated games, not as a bargaining chip / threat Steam will gladly use to make sure waste your time clearing out things for them.
If I get in a dispute with Amazon about some payment, should I let them come in my place and recover everything i have ever purchased from them? The whole idea that you can take back something which was legally purchased because of an entirely different transaction is ridiculous. I know you agree to those terms, but it's ridiculous nonetheless.

If they don't want to take paypal payments, they can stop taking them. Until then, it should be their problem fixing things with paypal which have nothing to do with their users' action.

Fredescu

harriet the spy said:
This shit should still not happen. [...] The whole idea that you can take back something which was legally purchased because of an entirely different transaction is ridiculous. I know you agree to those terms, but it's ridiculous nonetheless.
Yeah, pretty much agree. I haven't heard of anyone losing a valuable steam account permanently because of a fuck up, but losing a week or so access to a bunch of games because of a customer service issue would be infuriating.

I have read the text a couple of times now, and I can´t really understand why his Paypal account was under investigation at all. If he has followed all the rules, had $15 in it and decided to use $3,75, why does this result in an investigation and a chargeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom