• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Smash88 said:
Hoped for VVVVVV to come and now I have it on Steam.

All that is left is Minecraft for $9.99 and I'm a happy camper.
:lol

Yay for cheap games where I can scrounge up some money to afford games while having my tuition due on Friday. :lol

Is that coming to Steam? I tried it like 6 months ago and there weren't enemies in the game yet. It was purely building and digging.

Tim-E

Zzoram said:
Is that coming to Steam? I tried it like 6 months ago and there weren't enemies in the game yet. It was purely building and digging.

Did you play the free version? The Alpha version of the game (Around $12ish now), has a lot more "game" to it than the classic version, with the game constantly evolving.

Green Man Gaming, which is an online DD service that allows trade-ins for most tiles, have started carrying Steamworks titles. The Steamworks titles aren't tradable, but if you had non-Steamworks titles then you can trade-in those games toward credit for those titles that can activate through Steam.

thefil

Tim-E said:
Everyone who doesn't buy VVVVVV now is a bad person. Honestly, I'd call it one of my favorite games of the year, and I didn't feel cheated paying $15 for it at launch straight from the developer. It's a steal at the current price on Steam, though, so GOGOGO

I have to say, as much as I understand why it's a great game to certain people, if you're not into pixel art, sidescrolling or crazy challenge, then the game is not for you. I know because I am one of these people, and found that VVVVVV is not for everyone.

Tim-E

thefil said:
I have to say, as much as I understand why it's a great game to certain people, if you're not into pixel art, sidescrolling or crazy challenge, then the game is not for you. I know because I am one of these people, and found that VVVVVV is not for everyone.

If you don't like any of those things, why would you even try the game? :p

I don't find the game to be remarkably difficult or as rage-inducing as it appears to be. The game has check points placed pretty much perfectly throughout the game so if you die somewhere, then you'll pop back up nearby so it's not really aggravating to die.

UrbanRats

Guys, i need a SUPER QUICK advice! (hope someone is in the topic)

i want to buy Braid for Mac/PC, i plan on playing it on Mac though, for the moment, is the 360 pad compatible with braid on Mac? :O
Can't possibly play a platform with the keyboard. :p

poweld

UrbanRats said:
Thanks, you're right, i dunno why i thought it was something "forbidden" of sort(a microsoft thing on mac) :lol
i was ready to get a no, actually.. google didn't cross my mind, sry. :p
Er... slow your roll. I don't know if it works in Snow Leopard. I used this in Leopard and it worked, but I believe it didn't work when I upgraded.

I could be wrong, but I'm throwing it out there.

ADJUSTMENT TIME

F1 2010 now $53.95 on the Australian Steam store and $59.95 after the preorder discount. IIRC Dirt 2 was priced normally so Codemasters must be new to this gig. For shame.

MNC

Question Time! It's my nephew's birthday and it's his birthday and I want to gift him one of the older star wars games.

He has:
jedi knight 2 jedi outcast
republic commando
battlefront 1
battlefront 2
kotor 2
empire at war

Now I'm looking to gift him either of the following games
Dark Forces
Dark Forces 2
mystery of the sith
star wars starfighter

He's turning 13 and he can really enjoy the older games + his PCs not that good. Any reviews of these old games and which one is the best to gift? I'm thinking starfighter was a pretty tacky game?

MNC

Oh shit, ofcourse. I might have to gift him the better of the two KOTOR games; but I dunno if he'll like it after having just completed kotor 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Definitely go with Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. The game is quite good (nat as good as JKII) and the other games you listed might have aged a bit too much. Dark Forces II is a bit difficult to get running properly on modern systems and Starfighter had some weird issues when I last checked it out... I think I had a lot of trouble setting up controls.

MNC said:
He's turning 13 and he can really enjoy the older games + his PCs not that good.

Does he enjoy DOS-era gaming? Because Tie Fighter is awesome, and holds up very well for a 16yr old title. A great space sim and Star Wars game

That and KOTOR are my personal favourites for Star Wars video games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
viewtifulsub said:
Does he enjoy DOS-era gaming? Because Tie Fighter is awesome, and holds up very well for a 16yr old title. A great space sim and Star Wars game

That and KOTOR are my personal favourites for Star Wars video games.
Tie Fighter isn't on Steam, I think the point of asking in a Steam thread was to ask about games available on Steam.

epmode

I forgive him because TIE Fighter is better than every other Star Wars game on Steam. ..not to mention every other Star Wars game, period.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Stallion Free said:
Definitely go with Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. The game is quite good (nat as good as JKII) and the other games you listed might have aged a bit too much. Dark Forces II is a bit difficult to get running properly on modern systems and Starfighter had some weird issues when I last checked it out... I think I had a lot of trouble setting up controls.
Yup, definitely. KOTOR has aged really badly imo. They did a really bad job of getting it to play well on PCs.

Varna

BobsRevenge said:
Yup, definitely. KOTOR has aged really badly imo. They did a really bad job of getting it to play well on PCs.

What are you talking about? The game has aged just fine. It doesn't exactly have a made for PC interface, but it does feel more like a PC game that recently WRPGs like Mass Effect 1/2, Oblivion, Fallout, etc. The visuals still look fine and the combat is enjoyable. I still play the game from time to time and the only thing that really bothers me is the MC dialogue choices... Just awful.

jambo

toasty_T said:
ADJUSTMENT TIME

F1 2010 now $53.95 on the Australian Steam store and $59.95 after the preorder discount. IIRC Dirt 2 was priced normally so Codemasters must be new to this gig. For shame.
It does kinda suck, but it's still $20 cheaper than retail.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Varna said:
What are you talking about? The game has aged just fine. It doesn't exactly have a made for PC interface, but it does feel more like a PC game that recently WRPGs like Mass Effect 1/2, Oblivion, Fallout, etc. The visuals still look fine and the combat is enjoyable. I still play the game from time to time and the only thing that really bothers me is the MC dialogue choices... Just awful.
KOTOR is straight up annoying to play for me though. The controls feel archaic and don't really make much sense. As someone playing it for their first time after having already played the ME games, the controls are just wrong.

Ledsen

BobsRevenge said:
KOTOR is straight up annoying to play for me though. The controls feel archaic and don't really make much sense. As someone playing it for their first time after having already played the ME games, the controls are just wrong.

Er, aren't the KOTOR controls pretty much standard PC RPG controls? WASD for movement, mouse 1 for actions, space for pause hotkeys for different menus etc? I don't see what you could label as "archaic" about them.

Psy-Phi

Ledsen said:
Er, aren't the KOTOR controls pretty much standard PC RPG controls? WASD for movement, mouse 1 for actions, space for pause hotkeys for different menus etc? I don't see what you could label as "archaic" about them.
They are 'standard layout' but the manner in which you can move your character and interact with the world and combat is pretty damn atrocious. Clearly a game designed with a gamepad in mind and having it's PC Mouse & Keyboard UI shoehorned in. Even when it first came out I didn't appreciate them, but 'suffered' through it because the game was so good, though I eventually bought it on Xbox as well to play through it twice more. It's a much better experience there.

Not sure what they did with the controls but it's not quite 'direct', more that you're steering your character.

Ledsen

Psy-Phi said:
They are 'standard layout' but the manner in which you can move your character and interact with the world and combat is pretty damn atrocious. Clearly a game designed with a gamepad in mind and having it's PC Mouse & Keyboard UI shoehorned in. Even when it first came out I didn't appreciate them, but 'suffered' through it because the game was so good, though I eventually bought it on Xbox as well to play through it twice more. It's a much better experience there.

Not sure what they did with the controls but it's not quite 'direct', more that you're steering your character.

Hm, I don't remember having any problems at all with the controls, and I got it at launch.

Varna

Ledsen said:
Hm, I don't remember having any problems at all with the controls, and I got it at launch.

I don't understand either. Movement is standard... you click on shit to interact and there are shortcut keys for everything on the action bar. Even ME2 and Fallout 3 don't have that and they are very recent games. How does KOTOR feel archaic?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Psy-Phi said:
I played it on both as well, and felt the controls were equally bad for both.

John said:
D2D's got Star Wars: Battlefront II for $5; worth it for single player?
If you like playing bot matches with horrible AI, sure. Battlefront is a pure multiplayer game, just like Battlefield. I think I might pick it up for some online star wars action though, hopefully there are some people still playing.

Help! My Steam client nor any of my browsers can access the Steam store page. I just get the error: Failed to load web page (unknown error).-118

All my games, the community page etc are working fine, just can't see the store. I would try reinstalling but I can't seem to get the client without the store page. Any ideas?

lastplayed said:
Help! My Steam client nor any of my browsers can access the Steam store page. I just get the error: Failed to load web page (unknown error).-118

All my games, the community page etc are working fine, just can't see the store. I would try reinstalling but I can't seem to get the client without the store page. Any ideas?

The server that hosts the store seems to be having problems.

crimsonheadGCN said:
The server that hosts the store seems to be having problems.

Yeah it's happening for all computers on my network, and trying to play RUSE it says it failed to connect to the key server or something. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom