• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
SapientWolf said:
Couldn't they use this to bypass S. Korea's ratings push?

There's a possibility that they could bypass the ratings push. South Koreans can add funds to their Steam accounts and then the Steam client re-routes the Store page to another regions page where they could purchase the titles from. These titles would not fall under the ratings push.

I have a Steam account now. I still don't completely get the service though. Unless you have a permanent internet connection you can't always play some of the games, which is just completely dumb. Also, my internet just isn't fast enough to download games from there (512k). I end up coming out cheaper, and getting the game faster, if I buy a used or new hard copy of the game from Amazon Prime, plus that gives me a real hard-copy for backup. I do like the Steam software and how it allows for an easy way to keep my games organized and updated though. It's nice that you get your own profile and stuff, sort of like the same thing the consoles are doing now.

I'd like to see it do more though, like backup your saves games to your steam account so if you have to reinstall or something you don't ever need to worry with your save games. There are also some strange quirks with it that bother me. For instance I purchased The Witcher then downloaded the updates and planned on getting the final update from Steam but, it wouldn't let me do it. It just says Install Game and then takes me to the store. Seems like most newer games don't do this though, as it was fine and dandy with Velvet Assasin.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
MidgarBlowedUp said:
I'd like to see it do more though, like backup your saves games to your steam account so if you have to reinstall or something you don't ever need to worry with your save games.
A lot of the more popular games have this. It's called Steam Cloud.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I have a Steam account now. I still don't completely get the service though. Unless you have a permanent internet connection you can't always play some of the games, which is just completely dumb. Also, my internet just isn't fast enough to download games from there (512k). I end up coming out cheaper, and getting the game faster, if I buy a used or new hard copy of the game from Amazon Prime, plus that gives me a real hard-copy for backup. I do like the Steam software and how it allows for an easy way to keep my games organized and updated though. It's nice that you get your own profile and stuff, sort of like the same thing the consoles are doing now.

I'd like to see it do more though, like backup your saves games to your steam account so if you have to reinstall or something you don't ever need to worry with your save games. There are also some strange quirks with it that bother me. For instance I purchased The Witcher then downloaded the updates and planned on getting the final update from Steam but, it wouldn't let me do it. It just says Install Game and then takes me to the store. Seems like most newer games don't do this though, as it was fine and dandy with Velvet Assasin.
If you load up a game once while you're online, it should work fine in Steam offline mode.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Max said:
In what situation would the Steam Wallet be useful? Serious question

Well for me, I don't have a credit card and use those prepaid visa gift cards for online purchases. Now I can take off any leftover funds from a steam/amazon purchase that aren't enough to actually buy anything, and throw them into my steam wallet.

That and the whole "Steam Gift Card" idea like others have said.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
MidgarBlowedUp said:
I have a Steam account now. I still don't completely get the service though. Unless you have a permanent internet connection you can't always play some of the games, which is just completely dumb.

Unless it is a multiplayer-only game, most games only require an internet connection for the initial run. After that you can start Steam in an offline mode.

I'd like to see it do more though, like backup your saves games to your steam account so if you have to reinstall or something you don't ever need to worry with your save games.

Some games have this feature now, but it has to be especially coded into the game. Usually, if the game features SteamCloud support, it'll automatically handle your settings and saves.

There are also some strange quirks with it that bother me. For instance I purchased The Witcher then downloaded the updates and planned on getting the final update from Steam but, it wouldn't let me do it. It just says Install Game and then takes me to the store. Seems like most newer games don't do this though, as it was fine and dandy with Velvet Assasin.

I'm not sure what problem you're describing. Did you buy the Witcher from Steam and it failed to properly patch the game? You downloaded gigs of data and it made you download it again?

Regarding Steam Wallet: Valve could use this to make it easier for microtransactions and DLC purchases. This could really open Steam up to the Free to Play market.

It could also be used for other things like trade-ins, refunds and rewards that give you in-store credit for future purchases.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
crimsonheadGCN said:
Regarding Steam Wallet: Valve could use this to make it easier for microtransactions and DLC purchases. This could really open Steam up to the Free to Play market.

It could also be used for other things like trade-ins, refunds and rewards that give you in-store credit for future purchases.

If I could trade in some of the games I foolishly purchased just because they were cheap I would be oh so happy. I hate having such a daunting list staring at me, begging to be played.

Archie said:
$9.99 is an incredible price.

Very incredible.

$9.99 = King's Bounty: The Legend and King's Bounty: Crossworlds
$24.99 = King's Bounty: The Legend, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, and King's Bounty Crossworlds.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Says its an expansion, so $10 makes sense. I can't buy it though. I haven't even gotten, like, halfway through The Legend. Nevermind Armored Princess. Goddamn.

edit: nm, realized it was in a package with Legend for $10. :O

edit2: Well, you still need Armored Princess regardless. Interesting.

Fredescu

BobsRevenge said:
edit2: Well, you still need Armored Princess regardless. Interesting.
They were saying on RPS that Armored Princess comes with Crossworlds. I don't know if that's confirmed or not, but if true you're getting all three for $10.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
nexen said:
If steam allowed trade-ins and/or sales to other customers I would be giddy with delight.

One major issue they will have is ensuring that people don't come out ahead when potentially trading in games. As an example, I bought the Ghostbusters game for $4 during the summer sale and hated it. Would Valve let me trade it in for a fraction of the MSRP ($19.99), or for what I paid for it?

Of course the trade in prices could be so minuscule that it becomes a moot point, but I'd still love to thin out that long ass list of games. :p

Archie said:
One major issue they will have is ensuring that people don't come out ahead when potentially trading in games. As an example, I bought the Ghostbusters game for $4 during the summer sale and hated it. Would Valve let me trade it in for a fraction of the MSRP ($19.99), or for what I paid for it?

Of course the trade in prices could be so minuscule that it becomes a moot point, but I'd still love to thin out that long ass list of games. :p

Most likely you won't be able to trade in games that are part of a package (Rockstar Package) since there is no way to truly splice up each game based on how much you paid for the package. Also, you will be able to trade it for the amount you paid for it if that. Valve has a record of how much you paid so most likely it would be based on that. I also wouldn't expect to get 100% credit for what you paid. Most likely you'd receive 30-40%, or what you would receive say at Gamestop, BestBuy, etc. I still don't see this happening for a very long time if at all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
crimsonheadGCN said:
$24.99 = King's Bounty: The Legend, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, and King's Bounty Crossworlds.
Wow, I didn't even know about this game. I like SRPGs and that is a great price.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
My wording was bad. When I said 'or what I paid for it' I meant a fraction of the $4. I certainly wouldn't expect to get all my money back. Regardless it is pie in the sky stuff right now, but I guess it could be feasible one day. I know there is some DD service that was touting digital trade ins (Green Man Gaming or something like that) but I haven't heard anything from them in awhile.

Archie said:
My wording was bad. When I said 'or what I paid for it' I meant a fraction of the $4. I certainly wouldn't expect to get all my money back. Regardless it is pie in the sky stuff right now, but I guess it could be feasible one day. I know there is some DD service that was touting digital trade ins (Green Man Gaming or something like that) but I haven't heard anything from them in awhile.

One thing I'd like to see Valve implement is what Gamersgate has done. Basically you get credit for every game you purchase. Too bad it wouldn't be retroactive since if it was I wouldn't have to buy another game for a very long time lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't see Steam ever doing trade-ins. I don't mind it not being that way either as I have never traded in a console game either. I think before I purchase though and the only games I have regretted buying have been dirt cheap (5$ or less) so I can't even be bothered by it.

I don't see trading in games to Steam as something that Valve would do. Seems like it would be a hassle to handle that on the back end. Really, just be patient and buy games when Steam does their glorious sales. I have been wanting Men of War: Red Tide for a long time now, but I know it will be on sale soon enough and I can wait.

nexen

Stallion Free said:
I don't see Steam ever doing trade-ins. I don't mind it not being that way either as I have never traded in a console game either. I think before I purchase though and the only games I have regretted buying have been dirt cheap (5$ or less) so I can't even be bothered by it.
Wow, that must be my problem! I never think before I purchase my games, I just close my eyes and click randomly.
I should try your method.

Darkshier said:
I don't see trading in games to Steam as something that Valve would do. Seems like it would be a hassle to handle that on the back end. Really, just be patient and buy games when Steam does their glorious sales. I have been wanting Men of War: Red Tide for a long time now, but I know it will be on sale soon enough and I can wait.
I don't think they will either, but it is nice to want things. I think they could do user-to-user sales though (and even take a cut of the sale price).
(Almost) Free money for them, allows customers to have more ownership over their games. win-win, I think.

edit: course it could drive down the prices of the first sales so it isn't so simple as that. Ah well.

Stallion Free said:
this!

I dunno how someone could come up with such an idea.

nexen said:
I think they could do user-to-user sales though (and even take a cut of the sale price).
(Almost) Free money for them, allows customers to have more ownership over their games. win-win, I think.
edit: course it could drive down the prices of the first sales so it isn't so simple as that. Ah well.
Like you figured already this won't work well for the publishers. Games like Mafia II would be bought once and then handled through from friend to friend with only Valve seeing a small cut of this resale.

Won't happen.

@ price: I do it the same way. If a game is too expensive I do not buy it and wait for a deal. It never takes too long to show up :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nexen said:
Wow, that must be my problem! I never think before I purchase my games, I just close my eyes and click randomly.
I should try your method.
Well how else did you end up with games you didn't want? I bet that 98% of PC gamers reason for wanting to return a game is not enough research/giving it the proper amount of thought, especially with Steam sales.

nexen said:
I don't think they will either, but it is nice to want things. I think they could do user-to-user sales though (and even take a cut of the sale price).

Yup. In fact, Valve has the ability to solve the "used game" dilemma in a way that everyone's happy with: let users transfer games from one account to another via a marketplace where payment works via the Steam Wallet (they can even deliver your payment to your wallet thereby ensuring you spend it on future Steam games -- sneaky!) and take a cut off each transaction that they kick part of back to the developers.

There are probably a ton of logistical and legal issues here that I'm not thinking of, but superficially it sounds like a good idea to me. :lol

nexen

Stallion Free said:
Well how else did you end up with games you didn't want? I bet that 98% of PC gamers reason for wanting to return a game is not enough research/giving it the proper amount of thought, especially with Steam sales.
I would like to be able to sell/trade-in my games when I am done with them.
charlequin said:
Yup. In fact, Valve has the ability to solve the "used game" dilemma in a way that everyone's happy with: let users transfer games from one account to another via a marketplace where payment works via the Steam Wallet (they can even deliver your payment to your wallet thereby ensuring you spend it on future Steam games -- sneaky!) and take a cut off each transaction that they kick part of back to the developers.

There are probably a ton of logistical and legal issues here that I'm not thinking of, but superficially it sounds like a good idea to me. :lol
It sounds like a good idea to me too but I think it might have the net effect of driving down the price they can ask for first sales over time. The very nebulous distinction between new/used is already a problem for disc-based digital media. There is no distinction at all for rights transfers. If Steam/Pubs take a cut of the subsequant sales and exploit customer lock-in with the wallet the balance point might just be somewhere close enough to make it realistic, I'm not really sure.

Joe Molotov

I've traded/sold so many console games and then regretted it later, that I'm actually kinda glad that Steam doesn't let you trade away your games. :lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Joe Molotov said:
I've traded/sold so many console games and then regretted it later, that I'm actually kinda glad that Steam doesn't let you trade away your games. :lol
I never trade in my games because I'm always worried I'll want to play them again later. I still own Lair.

:-D

Blizzard

Banned
It might be nice if it allowed you to give duplicate copies of games from on-sale packages to other users, but I suspect that is unlikely.

As long as they don't force you to use their wallet (ala MS spacebucks or Wii points) then it shouldn't even affect me.

Nelo Ice

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I never trade in my games because I'm always worried I'll want to play them again later. I still own Lair.

:-D

i used to be like that then i realized id never play them or bother to beat them again so now i end up getting more games that i actually want and will play rather than having a ton of games and only playing like 20% of them :lol

Just a note about King's Bounty: Crossworlds: If you buy it now through then you can supposedly download and play it. Seems like there was a mix up and they enabled it by accident.

Joe Molotov

crimsonheadGCN said:
Just a note about King's Bounty: Crossworlds: If you buy it now through then you can supposedly download and play it. Seems like there was a mix up and they enabled it by accident.

I'm d/ling it now. It's 6 Gigs though, so it's going to take a while.

John

So I got a laptop this week, and I want a turn-based strategy (RPG?) game I can go to on/off between assignments. What's the best one I can get with these specs:

T4500 @ 2.3 ghz
GMA 4500M
3GB RAM

Blizzard

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Is kings bounty like final fantasy tactics or Disgaea? I need a TRPG for pc bad
It looks like there's an Armored Princess demo on Steam, and I'm assuming the gameplay is pretty much the same if you want to try it.

crimsonheadGCN said:

Yeah, it's true. I bought it tonight and downloaded it and played it.

Okay.... I just pre-purchased KB:Crossworlds and it started downloading. I thought "oh nice, preload already"... but now I can start and play it already :D

Is this my lucky day?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Have they made King's Bounty controls less... clunky? I bought King's Bounty from GOG.com, but I just can't get past the damn tank controls for a free camera. I'd either want to be able to move the camera with WASD, or have a camera related controls. If I use mouse only, I keep having to correct the camera, then click on new spot, then correct the camera a click on new spot, etc etc.

Seriously, a control system like WoW/any mmorpg would work a lot better for this game. I love the game otherwise, but the control system frustrates me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I bought VVVVVV for $4.49 today. If you're a fan of indie titles or oldschool platforming, I consider it a must-buy.

It was originally released in January for $15, which frankly is too much. But for $5, it's perfect.

It's in the growing subgenre of titles that are MADDENINGLY hard, but place checkpoints literally every 5 seconds. I think I died ~650 times in my first run through, tonight :lol

Joe Molotov

Anyone know what happened to Top Gun? It was there for like a day, then it just disappeared into the ether. I was going to buy it, it didn't look very good, but I was just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom