• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunBoy

I bought blood bowl so glad I did caus it means that I don't have to paint a god dam thing to enjoy my favourite table top game!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
harriet the spy said:
I am somehow suspecting this has been posted before, but has anyone read this story?
http://gloriouscomputing.wordpress....-you-should-think-twice-about-trusting-steam/

I know it's just one user's story, but steam's attitude in this whole affair is scary. If they lock down your account, does that mean you cannot play your purchased games anymore?
That story tells me to avoid Paypal rather than Steam.

I have seen a few of these stores about Steam suspending peoples accounts on the grounds of fraudulent transactions and Paypal nearly always seems to be the common factor. While Steam isn't an infallible system, it is far more trustworthy than the complete crock that Paypal becomes when things go wrong.

hamchan

Paypal are shitheads.

They're keeping the Minecraft creator's money locked up too and can keep it if they want to. How is that even legal!?

Bluth54

Has anyone ever had all their favorite servers disappear? It just happened to me today when I logged into steam, I didn't notice it at first and added a server so I'm guessing I'm screwed and I overwrote the file. I tried closing steam (and without thinking left the new server on the list) and opening it again and of course the only server was the new one. I do have a copy of the file saved from about a month ago when I made a new PC, though I know I've added several servers since then and it's going to be annoying finding them all again.

harriet the spy said:
edit: as much as i dislike paypal, i don't even see how they did much wrong here.

Any situation in which a payment processor allows you to initiate a transaction but then performs a chargeback on it without your acknowledgement or consent is unacceptable.

I certainly don't care for Steam's account-suspension policies and honestly don't think the policy they follow should even be legal, but Paypal is a rogue entity that cannot be relied upon to treat your money correctly and using it with a service known to have an unreasonably strong account-suspension policy is asking for trouble.

charlequin said:
Any situation in which a payment processor allows you to initiate a transaction but then performs a chargeback on it without your acknowledgement or consent is unacceptable.
Do you mean the customer's consent? In this case, I wholly agree. If you mean the seller, I disagree.

The thing is, we already knew paypal are scumbags. Steams' attitude in the whole thing shows me they are not that white dove that tons of people here always makes them out to be.

But wasn´t the problem here that Paypal never actually made the payment?
Sorry, I meant the Steam payment system is not obviously working well with paypal (in the sense that they are not happy with the random chargeback paypal initiates all the time), but instead of making it a 'we won't take paypal payments anymore', they make it 'we'll fuck you and not paypal if something goes wrong, and won't warn you that something can go wrong. and btw, we won't reply to any inquiry they'll make to us.'

I have read the text a couple of times now, and I can´t really understand why his Paypal account was under investigation at all. If he has followed all the rules, had $15 in it and decided to use $3,75, why does this result in an investigation and a chargeback?
This is a good question. I have never heard of those routine checks before, but I can't say they don't exist for sure.

I don't care for PayPal and they have to take some blame, but only for their actions, which Steam is not willing to deal with despite accepting it as a form of payment. You can't blame PayPal for Steam's policy of threatening to permanently take away years of legitimate purchases to get what they want, or that using their support is like talking to a wall.

Is Steam using Paypal now? I would actually like that because I don't have my credit card now and Steam only has my old one but my new one is in Paypal.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ChoklitReign said:
Is Steam using Paypal now? I would actually like that because I don't have my credit card now and Steam only has my old one but my new one is in Paypal.
They've been using it forever. But if Steam Wallet supported direct account transfers they could cut out PayPal altogether.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I hope to god that Steam drops Paypal completely. They shouldn't bother supporting such a shit service. I recently bought a 4 pack for me and 3 of my buddies and we decided to go with gifting games close to the amount coming out soon to me instead of bothering with Paypal. I didn't even want to go through that hassle.

Psy-Phi

Stallion Free said:
I hope to god that Steam drops Paypal completely. They shouldn't bother supporting such a shit service. I recently bought a 4 pack for me and 3 of my buddies and we decided to go with gifting games close to the amount coming out soon to me instead of bothering with Paypal. I didn't even want to go through that hassle.
I love PayPal and have never had a problem with it on Steam. even through gifting 4 packs and friends paying me back (even gaffers paying me back) all went smoothly. I mainly enjoy it fo it's anonymity in payment, the less places that can see my CC info the better.

Probably have over 200 transactions on Steam, so my love of the service isn't for lack of use.

IceMarker

I've never ever touched PayPal, and all this news surrounding Steam Wallet and Notch with Minecraft just makes me not want to use it more!

SapientWolf said:
They've been using it forever. But if Steam Wallet supported direct account transfers they could cut out PayPal altogether.
That doesn't make sense. I've been using Paypal for eBay purchases. I never had to sign in to purchase a Steam game. I'll need to look closer at the payment options next time.

Remy

Joe Molotov said:
So did anyone buy Blood Bowl this weekend? It sounds fun on multiplayer.

I grabbed it and played a round with a friend. Came in with little knowledge of how the game's actually supposed to be played.

The game is definitely flawed - the tutorials suck, and the UI is iffy (trying to get a multiplayer game together is an exercise in hell). But once you get going, the game's kinda fun. The online leagues look like they have some depth and there's a lot of team/character building you can do. $10 feels about right.

For those who are put off by this sort of thing, it does use SecureROM (but I don't see anything listed about an activation limit).

Shambles

Yeah I don't know where this paypal stuff is coming from. I don't remember a single instance of using paypal to make a steam purchase. It's always been through CC details.

I have been using Paypal exclusively for the last 2 years and never have had an issue. However, with more of these stories coming out I may just start entering in my credit card information in Steam itself.

dLMN8R

One handy use I'll have for Steam Wallet is those annoying pre-paid VISA gift cards.

Can't stand those VISA gift cards. Always left with $2-3 and change, making it impossible to use since unlike normal gift cards the remaining balance can't be covered in cash. Unless I know the exact amount left on the card and ask a cashier to split the transaction, which is just annoying.

If I could instead just dump the remainder (or hell, the whole thing) into my Steam Wallet, awesome!

Nabs

LovingSteam said:
I have been using Paypal exclusively for the last 2 years and never have had an issue. However, with more of these stories coming out I may just start entering in my credit card information in Steam itself.

if you're just using your CC, then do it through steam.

I will agree with folks regarding the issue of chargebacks and Valve not that its wrong to lock ones account (I understand this) but more so the lack of communication. If one could perform a chargeback and only have THAT game locked, they could do multiple chargebacks which negatively effects Valve and their credit. My issue isn't with Valve disabling an account but rather the duration to which it takes to be resolved.

Valve NEEDS to set up a 1800 number. They just need to. There is an easy way to go about it also. Lets say someone's account is disabled. If the person's email has been verified, Valve should email them a code that they can use when they call the 1800 number. Only individuals who have this code can get through (which should cut down on those calling for other reasons). In this day and age for a company like Valve to not have a call option is just annoying.

Blizzard

Banned
By the way, as a random note I just noticed on the agreement, as far as I understand Valve refers to the service as a "subscription" or "subscriptions" allowing you access to software, so ultimately I'm not sure you're even classified as "owning" the games on it. Lawyers feel free to comment!

Orellio said:
Steam gift cards. Believe
This might be pretty likely, since they've added stuff to their subscriber agreement that could apply to it.

For paying with credit card:
When your account uses your Steam Wallet to fund a purchase, you authorize Valve to deduct the amount of the purchase from your Steam Wallet. If you do not have sufficient funds in your Steam Wallet to make a purchase and you have previously entered your credit card information, we may automatically charge your credit card a minimum amount determined by Valve to make the purchase, even if such minimum amount exceeds the cost of your purchase. Any difference between the minimum charge and the cost of the purchase will be credited to your Steam Wallet.
So it looks like, maybe to protect themselves from tiny transaction charges, if you try to buy a $2 game and you only have $1 in your account, it might put $5 or whatever the minimum is, for a balance of $3 in your wallet left over.

More to the point:
You may place funds in your Steam Wallet up to a maximum amount determined by Valve, by credit card, prepaid card, promotional code, or any other payment method accepted by Steam
It could merely refer to prepaid credit cards but I could see them having gift cards as well, and possibly promotional codes (buy X game, get 3 SteamBux?) like Amazon etc. I bought the new Metroid game from Amazon since I get a $20 credit, but now I have to buy an additional game to get the benefit from it.

Blizzard said:
By the way, as a random note I just noticed on the agreement, as far as I understand Valve refers to the service as a "subscription" or "subscriptions" allowing you access to software, so ultimately I'm not sure you're even classified as "owning" the games on it. Lawyers feel free to comment!

Well technically it is only a subscription but Valve hasn't been taken to court (at least that we know of) from someone who has lost their account. The only way to know whether we have a right to the games after say a disabled account due to a chargeback is to take them to court.

Also, for those wondering, although Valve says that there is a time limit to get your account back after a charge-back, this isn't the case. I spoke to BurtonJ specifically about this issue and he said that Valve would never just officially close the door on someone being able to get their account back. This is true. I had a buddy whose account was locked for more than a year due to a charge-back and he was able to get it back.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. Didn't knew that the Wiiware game, NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits is coming to Steam. Is a great plataformer. I recommend it to everyone who likes the genre.

Slavik81

Stallion Free said:
Hold up, Paypal just locked $600,000 in the Minecraft's creator's account, why the fuck would anyone take their side over Valves?
Paypal's had a long history of that sort of thing. I've heard horror stories about them for years from people who've had their accounts locked with thousands of dollars still in them. But just because Paypal is an awful service doesn't automatically mean that Valve's in the right.

The real issue is that Valve takes such extreme actions whenever there's a problem. Sometimes it's their fault, sometimes it's the customer's fault, sometimes it's a third-party's fault, but ultimately it's made worse when Valve overreacts.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
crimsonheadGCN said:
They've honored mistakes for already released content, but I don't think there's ever been a case where there was a mistake with the pricing of a pre-order.
I, and a lot of others, bought the Dragon Age Digital Deluxe Edition at $49.99, during a pricing error.

When the price was adjusted to $59.99, no one had their order revoked.

Slavik81 said:
The real issue is that Valve takes such extreme actions whenever there's a problem. Sometimes it's their fault, sometimes it's the customer's fault, sometimes it's a third-party's fault, but ultimately it's made worse when Valve overreacts.
Exactly.

Sloegr

dLMN8R said:
One handy use I'll have for Steam Wallet is those annoying pre-paid VISA gift cards.

Can't stand those VISA gift cards. Always left with $2-3 and change, making it impossible to use since unlike normal gift cards the remaining balance can't be covered in cash. Unless I know the exact amount left on the card and ask a cashier to split the transaction, which is just annoying.

If I could instead just dump the remainder (or hell, the whole thing) into my Steam Wallet, awesome!

Yeah, that will be nice. Though I'll have to try it with a regular card before doing that, just to see how it handles transactions using the Steam wallet in conjunction with another form of payment. If the amount in the wallet isn't enough to cover the transaction and Steam attempts to charge the rest to a dead prepaid card, it could get messy.

I'm sure there will be options to allow splitting the payment easily, but I am cautious about stuff like that now considering Steam's policies.

Aselith

Are other people able to log in to Steam tonight? I went to get on earlier and it didn't auto-login like normal and everytime I try to sign in, it says it's having trouble connecting to Steam.

Talyn

Aselith said:
Are other people able to log in to Steam tonight? I went to get on earlier and it didn't auto-login like normal and everytime I try to sign in, it says it's having trouble connecting to Steam.
No problems here. (Yet?)

Nabs

ElJuice said:
Yeah, that will be nice. Though I'll have to try it with a regular card before doing that, just to see how it handles transactions using the Steam wallet in conjunction with another form of payment. If the amount in the wallet isn't enough to cover the transaction and Steam attempts to charge the rest to a dead prepaid card, it could get messy.

I'm sure there will be options to allow splitting the payment easily, but I am cautious about stuff like that now considering Steam's policies.

that's not going to happen. you're basically buying a steam gift certificate when you buy into your wallet. if you have to combine payments, it'll ask how you'd like to pay.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Can you gift money directly to someone using the Steam wallet? Or are people just speculating that it's the logical conclusion?

Because that would obviously facilitate purchasing 4-packs while keeping everything within Steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
morningbus said:
Can you gift money directly to someone using the Steam wallet? Or are people just speculating that it's the logical conclusion?

Because that would obviously facilitate purchasing 4-packs while keeping everything within Steam.
Hoepfully. And hopefully they will allow you to gift money to accounts without having an account of your own because I told my GF that Steam may be heading the way of gift card with this beta and she was thrilled because that meant she no longer had to put in effort thinking up gifts for my birthday, christmas, etc. and have to worry about whether I will like them or not.

Minsc

Gold Member
harriet the spy said:
I am somehow suspecting this has been posted before, but has anyone read this story?
http://gloriouscomputing.wordpress....-you-should-think-twice-about-trusting-steam/

I know it's just one user's story, but steam's attitude in this whole affair is scary. If they lock down your account, does that mean you cannot play your purchased games anymore?

Hah, I was expecting it to be more:

...By using SteamCalculater.com, I determined that my Steam account is worth about $550 now. That’s not exactly how much money I have spent on Steam games, nor is it exactly how much I’d have to spend to obtain the same games today. Point is: it’s pretty close.

$550 is pocket change for the SteamCalculator isn't it? You can hit half that (or more) buying just the iD pack (or some other collection - like THQs) on sale I thought. Was expecting to hear he spent $2,500+ on games (minimum) over the years.

Still, I do hate how Steam handles their disputes.

SmokyDave

Minsc said:
$550 is pocket change for the SteamCalculator isn't it? You can hit half that (or more) buying just the iD pack (or some other collection - like THQs) on sale I thought. Was expecting to hear he spent $2,500+ on games (minimum) over the years.

Still, I do hate how Steam handles their disputes.
That Steam calculator is fairly useless. According to that I have $1311.11 of purchases. In actual money it is closer to $300. I guess those crazy sales all add up!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
SmokyDave said:
That Steam calculator is fairly useless. According to that I have $1311.11 of purchases. In actual money it is closer to $300. I guess those crazy sales all add up!
It's not working for me for some reason. Should the site work for all Steam accounts?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Monroeski said:
It's not working for me for some reason. Should the site work for all Steam accounts?
Your profile has to be set to public so that the site can view your games list. Just set it to public, check the stats and then set it back to friends only.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Your profile needs to be set to public, I think.

Edit: Beaten.

Stallion Free said:
Monroeski said:

Your profile has to be set to public so that the site can view your games list. Just set it to public, check the stats and then set it back to friends only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom