• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

Cosmonaut X said:
Nah - setting it to Public doesn't work for me either.
Add a custom URL in your Steam profile settings. It'll say "http://steamcommunity.com/id/" and then give you a box to pop a name of your choosing into. That sorted it for me.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Stallion Free said:
Your profile has to be set to public so that the site can view your games list. Just set it to public, check the stats and then set it back to friends only.
Ah. Will have to wait until I get home later, then.

Baha

Stallion Free said:
Your profile has to be set to public so that the site can view your games list. Just set it to public, check the stats and then set it back to friends only.

Not working for me even when my profile is set to public.

[EDIT] Adding a custom url worked, thanks.

Found 116 Games with a value of
$1479.85 USD

Red

Steamcalculator can't even detect any of my games. It says I've been a Steam member since 1970 and have never made a purchase.

Made custom url as suggested by post above:
Found 123 Games with a value of
$1746.78 USD

graywolf323

SmokyDave said:
That Steam calculator is fairly useless. According to that I have $1311.11 of purchases. In actual money it is closer to $300. I guess those crazy sales all add up!

my account is worth $6k and I know I didn't even spend half that buying them all :lol

Steam member since November 2003

Buy SEGA Genesis Classics 2 Pack
Includes 8 items: Alex Kidd™ in the Enchanted Castle, Bonanza Bros.™, Columns™, Ecco™ Jr., Eternal Champions™, Galaxy Force II™, Kid Chameleon™, Ristar™

$14.99

The price is much better than the last time. Might pick up the whole package.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
crimsonheadGCN said:
Lucas Arts week also.

In no particular order, give me these:
TIE Fighter (own on CD)
Rogue Squadron (own on CD)
Star Wars Yoda Stories (own on CD) / Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango

Then put the SOMI/MI2 remakes on sale so I can double dip on those ;p

Volcynika

Acidote said:
Has the list been leaked anywhere? :lol

With how they set it up, it's not possible it seems. If the sale was in the banner itself at the top, it'd be easier. Unless there's some way around it that I haven't figured out yet.

crimsonheadGCN said:
$14.99

The price is much better than the last time. Might pick up the whole package.

There's some real dross in the package though like Super Thunder Blade, Galaxy Force 2 (who the hell wants the Mega Drive port of sprite scalers!? Really now), Ecco Jr. and Eternal Champions. The only real standouts are Ristar and Kid Chameleon.

I think I'll pick up The Force Unleashed with the spare money I have in my Paypal account. It'll push the size of my Steam folder over 250GB though! :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
While I know this figure is grossly inaccurate, I have spent quite a bit on Steam these last couple of years. While I have had a Steam account since day 1 (4 digit SteamID, and I was using the beta before that), I have only been buying games actively on the service for the last 2 years.

Found 142 Games with a value of
$2103.59 USD

*runs*

Edit: LucasArts week eh? I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

brain_stew said:
I think I'll pick up The Force Unleashed with the spare money I have in my Paypal account. It'll push the size of my Steam folder over 250GB though! :lol
You think 250GB is bad, mine is currently 432GB!

Stop It

Stallion Free said:
1 Tb and counting here, I have every single game installed for those mood swings.
Sorry, but I feel this is an appropriate response, all things considered.

2vj291j.jpg

Stop It said:
You think 250GB is bad, mine is currently 432GB!

Hey, I only properly got into PC gaming and bought my first Steam game under 2 years ago, I think that's pretty decent progress! :D

If I installed all my disc games and stuff from other DD platforms, you could safely double that figure, I would think.

Stop It

brain_stew said:
Hey, I only properly got into PC gaming and bought my first Steam game under 2 years ago, I think that's pretty decent progress! :D
Yes, yes it is. To be honest you're one of the shining lights of PC-GAF and I can't say that a 250GB Steam folder is by any means small.

While I have you on my Steam Friend list, I haven;t actually played anything with you, surely at some point I'll have to rectify this
If I installed all my disc games and stuff from other DD platforms, you could safely double that figure, I would think.
If I include all DD and installed ALL of my PC games (Inc retail totals at nearly 350) I would need a new HDD.

JudgeN said:
So is SW:TFU worth it for $7.50? Let me know GAF :lol

Heard bad things about it.
It is no worse than the console editions, yet is locked at 30FPS and is far too big (30GB wtf) for what it is, but aside from that it does look good on a decent rig and is a good game so is well worth the money if you're only the slightest bit interested in Star Wars.

JudgeN said:

Well its 30GB big and capped at 30fps (like the console version), those are most people's major complaints. Other than that though, its still easily the best version of the game, works perfectly with a 360 pad and has a bunch of single player DLC included for free.

I'm about to pick it up, anyway.

Zachack

JudgeN said:

It's ok if you can put up with loading between menus. The volume settings were messed up at first, too.

Also, don't bother if you don't have a 360 controller.

Downloading TFU and its maxing out my connection thankfully. Oh how I do love Steam's servers. Still going to take the best part of 3 hours though.

graywolf323

TFU actually clocks in closer to 25GB installed than 30GB :lol

it's mostly because they for some reason included every damn language known to mankind in the game

You know, the install size really doesn't bother me, HDD space is just so ludicrously cheap these days that it seems silly to make a big deal about losing a couple dozen GBs.

Even the download time shouldn't be a big issue, its only going to take 3 hours on my seriously mediocre connection. I can only real see it being a huge issue for those with strict download caps.

brain_stew said:
You know, the install size really doesn't bother me, HDD space is just so ludicrously cheap these days that it seems silly to make a big deal about losing a couple dozen GBs.

Even the download time shouldn't be a big issue, its only going to take 3 hours on my seriously mediocre connection. I can only real see it being a huge issue for those with strict download caps.

Hahahah, what bullshit.
10 gigs an hour is not "seriously mediocre"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Your hard drives are out of date if 30 gb matters to you. Man up already. I got a 2 Tb 7200 rpm drive for ~100$ at the start of this year.

vazel

Banned
Haha you'd be whining about HDD usage if you also doubled your PC as an HTPC. All those games and movies and tv shows add up. I have 1.4TB total over 5xHDDs and I'm always constantly struggling with HDD usage. I'm going to upgrade to a 2x1TB and 1xSSD setup next year.

Those huge TB drives worry me though. If they fail that's a lot of data going down in flames. 300GB drives used to be my sweet spot because if one of them fails that's not that much data you lose.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ipukespiders said:
Hahahah, what bullshit.

10 gigs an hour = 1 gig in 6 minutes = 166 megs a minute = 2.5MBps = 20Mbps. Definitely not "seriously mediocre" :p

Boonoo

vazel said:
Those huge TB drives worry me though. If they fail that's a lot of data going down in flames. 300GB drives used to be my sweet spot because if one of them fails that's not that much data you lose.

But in 2 1tb drives you can store more (backed up) data than you could with 6 300gb drives.

10 gigs an hour = 1 gig in 6 minutes = 166 megs a minute = 2.5MBps = 20Mbps. Definitely not "seriously mediocre" :p

But it's really not too terribly special, though, when something fairly common like 12Mbps can get the job done in 5ish hours. Worries over download times are grossly exaggerated (especially when most games are maybe only 10gigs).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That's fucking insane if Brainstew is getting 20 down. It blew my mind when I got 9 one night.

Anyways, I had my whole collection downloaded from Steam within a week easy so I'm not too worried about the drive failing.

Caesar III said:
:lol :lol :lol

*runs around crying out loud*

It would take me around 220 hours to download the game

mediocre, for sure :(

Are you running dial up?

My connection is only 10mb/s, hardly blazing fast.

Edit: People, the 25GB figure is the installed size, Steam doesn't download that much, more like 15GB, which is why its going to take roughly 3 hours on my 10mb connection.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Stallion Free said:
That's fucking insane if Brainstew is getting 20 down. It blew my mind when I got 9 one night.

Anyways, I had my whole collection downloaded from Steam within a week easy so I'm not too worried about the drive failing.

I usually get around 3.0MB/s from Steam here in Seattle. When I was in Tokyo and had a fiber optic connection I would often get 8.0MB/s, sometimes even going up to 9.0MB/s+.

ipukespiders said:
Hahahah, what bullshit.

Its more like 5 gigs an hour, and yes, in most parts of the world that is absolutely in the "seriously mediocre" category.

Zefah said:
I usually get around 3.0MB/s from Steam here in Seattle. When I was in Tokyo and had a fiber optic connection I would often get 8.0MB/s, sometimes even going up to 9.0MB/s+.

I seriously don't know of any other service that will consistantly max out your connection, its so good. Makes me wish that I could afford the 50mb package that's offered around here.

vazel said:
Haha you'd be whining about HDD usage if you also doubled your PC as an HTPC. All those games and movies and tv shows add up. I have 1.4TB total over 5xHDDs and I'm always constantly struggling with HDD usage. I'm going to upgrade to a 2x1TB and 1xSSD setup next year.

It does! :D

If you're worried about losing data then get a RAID 1 setup or just keep a spare 1TB drive that keeps a compressed backup of all your HDDs. Its still super cheap.

Caesar III said:
No, DSL 300!

10mb/sec is blazing fast

Wait, 300kbps? Heck, you'd be better off with a hsdpa (3G) modem! :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, it's funny because 90% of the internet caps DL/upload speeds so you rarely hit your caps. Megaupload locks at a shitty 250 kbps, but mediafire actually lets me hit 2.5 megs up.

And I thought 1.5MB/s was good, not that I can get any better here, but...

vazel said:
Haha you'd be whining about HDD usage if you also doubled your PC as an HTPC. All those games and movies and tv shows add up.
Seriously, things add up... and especially if you're always thinking, "What's another 30GB herp derp?"

Kifimbo

Quixzlizx said:
Is SimCity 4 + Rush Hour new on Steam? I could've sworn I searched for it during the Summer sale and didn't see it.

It wasn't up during the summer sale. It was added 4-6 weeks ago.

brain_stew said:
Wait, 300kbps? Heck, you'd be better off with a hsdpa (3G) modem! :lol
not available here as well.

I download my Steam games in university and back them up to install here. :( Would be good if there would be an option to do this without actually installing them. So only downloading I would prefer.

nexen

Does anyone else get lots of black in the reflection/environment maps in The Force Unleashed? It is a gross visual defect and my single biggest gripe with the PC port.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nexen said:
Does anyone else get lots of black in the reflection/environment maps in The Force Unleashed? It is a gross visual defect and my single biggest gripe with the PC port.
I played some of it and I don't recall any graphical issues. It looked just like the 360 version only higher-res and locked at 30 fps with no dips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom