• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

19Kilo

blackMamba1187 said:
Dang it! Why doesn't Eidos have a US store?

Is the code region-specific or something? I got a DOWII key off the UK THQ site and it worked fine. Maybe it's different for Eidos titles?

It gives this error when I click buy on the site:

Error(s)
We´re sorry. Our Systems indicate you are outside the territory authorized for distribution of this title.

No real biggie, though. I'm sure, eventually, it will be available for cheap on steam.

Hopefully tomorrow and Friday bring deals on Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando. I already have the games that have been on sale so far.

19Kilo

blackMamba1187 said:
It gives this error when I click buy on the site:

Error(s)
We´re sorry. Our Systems indicate you are outside the territory authorized for distribution of this title.

No real biggie, though. I'm sure, eventually, it will be available for cheap on steam.

Hopefully tomorrow and Friday bring deals on Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando. I already have the games that have been on sale so far.

Ahh ok that makes sense. Yeah, I'm gonna wait for a cheap steam sale too. Backlog is enormous as is!

Ok, so here is a retarded question:

If you have a Main Gaming Rig, and a Laptop that can do decent gaming on the go - And for the Laptop you wanna play some multiplayer games, games that are good for Lan when your all sitting with your laptops, smaller games like braid and audiosurf to play in breaks or when your at downtime, while your main rig is used for the big heavy games that require lots of power...

Do you guys think... That it would ever be a good idea to have two seperate steam accounts? Like, one for main PC, and one for gaming laptop?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Vigilant Walrus said:
Do you guys think... That it would ever be a good idea to have two seperate steam accounts? Like, one for main PC, and one for gaming laptop?
No. Set the laptop to offline mode when necessary.

Nabs

19Kilo said:
Is the code region-specific or something? I got a DOWII key off the UK THQ site and it worked fine. Maybe it's different for Eidos titles?

The code isn't region specific, I just added it and downloaded it to my account.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
IrishNinja said:
...shit. still sad i missed like $10 around the 4th, any chance we might see that again for halloween/xmas?

If you're willing to wait that long, I'd say it's almost a certainty. Valve games go on sale pretty regularly during the big holidays and/or during updates for the games in question. Wouldn't necessarily hold my breath for Halloween, though. It's possible, but not likely unless they do it to celebrate the end of the online comic or the release of L4D1's expansion.

graywolf323

IrishNinja said:
...shit. still sad i missed like $10 around the 4th, any chance we might see that again for halloween/xmas?

wouldn't shock me if we saw something around Halloween or when the next DLC releases (whichever happens first)

itxaka

Defeatist
Stallion Free said:
No. Set the laptop to offline mode when necessary.

No need to. It auto disconnects from other pcs when you log in. I do the same, got my main desktop with the power games and hae my laptop and my netbook for smaller games (shatter, lucasarts adventures, peggle)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
itxaka said:
No need to. It auto disconnects from other pcs when you log in. I do the same, got my main desktop with the power games and hae my laptop and my netbook for smaller games (shatter, lucasarts adventures, peggle)
Well duh it auto logs off, I mean he can have someone gaming on his laptop at the same time he plays on his rig.

Blizzard

Banned
So now Steam supports updating your AMD graphics card drivers. That's interesting, and will probably make some people happy.

What I -really- wish Steam would do is two things:

1. Make the startup time shorter...I haven't done a full defrag lately, but I don't THINK it's so bad that Steam should take like 1-2 minutes to start up when I boot my system? I don't think it's other stuff in the system slowing it down either, it just seems like it's grinding the hard disk to check all the games. Maybe I just plain have too many installed. It's a 7200 rpm SATA hard disk too, so it should be okay.

2. I wish they would, if they're going to have a long startup time, take the extra 2 seconds to load/cache all the icons in the small icon view. Otherwise, when I go to my games list and try to scroll down, it's slow and jerky for like 1.5 seconds while it grinds my hard disk to LOAD TINY LEETLE ICON. :lol

So hopefully the driver update thing goes smoothly and doesn't lead to more client bloat.

*edit* Thanks for the Star Wars screenshot, Stallion. That looks nice enough that I think I will give it a try despite my distaste for RTS games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steam should not take 1-2 minutes to start. It take 30 seconds or less and I have it installed on a huge drive with all my games that is 7200 rpm.

IrishNinja

ohhthegore said:
Yeah looks like the Left 4 Dead bundle is only $29.99 now too, I may have to bite at that price

that's not bad. have the 2 of them been cheaper at any point?

1. Make the startup time shorter...I haven't done a full defrag lately, but I don't THINK it's so bad that Steam should take like 1-2 minutes to start up when I boot my system? I don't think it's other stuff in the system slowing it down either, it just seems like it's grinding the hard disk to check all the games. Maybe I just plain have too many installed. It's a 7200 rpm SATA hard disk too, so it should be okay.

*shrugs* i got like 1/10th of the average GAFer's steam games, but 1-2 minute startup sounds kind of long, to me.

edit goddammit stallion
edit 2 i didn't mean that, you're a fucking champ with the emulators:D

graywolf323

Blizzard said:

I have a 7200 RPM drive and it was recently almost 30% fragmented...

down to 2% now after a full defrag

ohhthegore said:
Yeah looks like the Left 4 Dead bundle is only $29.99 now too, I may have to bite at that price

shit tried to buy it but my credit card got declined, I'm pretty sure I'm no where near my credit card limit. How long does Valve usually take to resolve these issues?

Salacious Crumb

ohhthegore said:
shit tried to buy it but my credit card got declined, I'm pretty sure I'm no where near my credit card limit. How long does Valve usually take to resolve these issues?

If you send them a support ticket usually a day, but as always ymmv.

Sblargh

Banned
L4D is basically a multiplayer game, right? Will I be missing something going straight to the second never having played the first?

dani_dc

Joe Molotov said:
L4D2 has been $10 once and L4D1 has been down to $7.50 or maybe $5.

They'll most likely be down to similar prices in 3 weeks to celebrate the release of the DLC.
So waiting until then might be a wise choice.

Joe Molotov

ohhthegore said:

Ya, I've had Steam decline my credit card for basically no reason whatsoever in the past. I usually just wait a day or two and try again, or it's an emergency (last day of a sale!) I've used Paypal and Click2Buy.

Joe Molotov said:
Ya, I've had Steam decline my credit card for basically no reason whatsoever in the past. I usually just wait a day or two and try again, or it's an emergency (last day of a sale!) I've used Paypal and Click2Buy.

thanks, this helps ease my mind and not thing this is a big deal or anything

vazel

Banned
Sblargh said:
L4D is basically a multiplayer game, right? Will I be missing something going straight to the second never having played the first?
First one is worth playing. Not only because of the way different special infected and melee weapons change gameplay, they also have different ways of scoring. With the first L4D you have to have at least 2-3 survivors survive to the end for a good survivor score multiplier plus you get a health bonus based on your remaining health and unused medkits(you have to be very careful with using health items). If everyone dies before they reach the saferoom the score becomes shit. With L4D2 score is based on distance traveled with a 25 points survivor bonus, this is more forgiving as you can still get a good score despite dying just as long as you traveled a good distance, I have a team where our tactics basically come down to rush as fast as you can and even though 1-2 of us sometimes get killed we still rack up a lot of distance points and we end up winning most of our games.

A word of warning, if you're going to play public versus games prepare yourself for one of the most rank online communities ever. I find all the rage really funny.

commissar

just used the amd driver update.

3 clicks for new drivers (not including the UAC question, as I have mine pretty aggressive).

Completely painless.

though steam apparently pops up a "playing" dialogue, though it's not directly shown on the friends list

Forkball

I hope Battlefront II is one of the games that goes on sale this week. I really liked the first one but never got an opportunity to play the sequel.

Kamaki

Just used this new AMD driver update feature. I like it :D . I'd never update them otherwise so it's nice that steam makes the effort for me.

Crashed for me here, don't care who's fault it is. I'm not using it again. I'll do it myself.
Wouldn't let me quit, so I had to end the process manually.

amd.JPG

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
How are there still people that haven't played either Left 4 Dead? I swear, my own mother has played it.
Played the demo of the first one, hated it, the end. German censorship was applied though, so I felt patronised.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
That means you've played it.
Not the full game though. Just the demo. So I had a very limited exposure to what L4D* actually does in its full glory.

graywolf323

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So is Empire at War worth getting? Seems like no one has even mentioned it.

it's a good not great RTS game with pretty sweet space combat but the land combat is mediocre

edit: I'd say if you're a Star Wars fan it's easily worth $5

that's how much I bought it for the last time it went on sale (and then traded away my retail copy on Goozex)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom