• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

DMPrince said:
nope. you need to transfer these to specially made VHS tapes to run on your Phillips Master Player System.

You have to send your proof of purchase to valve with $1.50 cash for shipping and then in 4 to 5 weeks they send you the game.

Blizzard

Banned
I joined the Battlefront II group and picked up Monkey Island 2 (already had 1). A Jedi Knight collection for $5 would be great, but I can wait. :D

Joe Molotov

crimsonheadGCN said:
Anyone tried out Faerie Solitaire? It looks good and it's solitaire, which I always have fun playing.

I bought it and played it a few hours this afternoon. It was fun. The basic gameplay is that you have stacks of cards at the top of the screen, some of which are face up and some are face down, and then you have a deck of cards at the bottom. You turn over cards at the bottom one at a time and then play cards off the stack on your deck card. The cards you play have to be either one higher or one lower than the card you're playing it on. The round ends when you either play all the cards from your stacks (a perfect hand) or when your deck runs out of cards.

Each hand consists of 9 rounds, and each hand has a certain goal that you have to achieve (like get at least one perfect hand, win at least $1000, something like that). Also you can raise pets, which as far as I can tell have no impact in the game whatsoever, but yay pets! The first one I found was a flying chef bot. :lol

Sloegr

How did Monkey Island 2:SE turn out? I remember there were some negative rumblings before the release about content being left out or somesuch.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ElJuice said:
How did Monkey Island 2:SE turn out? I remember there were some negative rumblings before the release about content being left out or somesuch.

It's just missing the opening credit sequence and the iMuse transitions aren't as clean as they should be, but otherwise it's quite good.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Sinatar said:
It's just missing the opening credit sequence and the iMuse transitions aren't as clean as they should be, but otherwise it's quite good.

Opening credit sequence in the Classic Mode was re-inserted in a recent patch.

BioHazard

So I've never played a Monkey Island in all my lifes. I think I'm gonna buy the pack on sale, is this gonna be awesome or what GAF?

Blizzard

Banned
BioHazard said:
So I've never played a Monkey Island in all my lifes. I think I'm gonna buy the pack on sale, is this gonna be awesome or what GAF?
With 80+ (I think) metacritic rankings, no, everyone hates us including all of us on GAF. We only buy it to torture ourselves. =(

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
BioHazard said:

Do you care for adventure games? I mean, Monkey Island is a funny, entertaining story through a collage of pirate and adventure movie stereotypes. But it isn't exactly action packed or full of actual swashbuckling. It's a really well written adventure game, but an adventure game through and through - pick up items and use them on random things to progress, talk to people to gain clues/information, click all over the screen in hopes that you find something new to interact with when you're stuck. If you dig the humor, characters, and setting the game is absolutely rockin'. if you're used to fast paced games full of guns and explosions you'll probably be bored in about 10 minutes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BioHazard said:
They are great. I had never played an adventure game before MI Special Edition came out and I rolled through it the first time in classic mode only and it was great. I loved the story and the dialogue. I immediately replayed it in the remake mode and enjoyed that too.

Blizzard

Banned
I do have a stupid question though...there's the $35, not-on-sale Tales of Monkey Island pack that includes 5 chapters (I assume this is the "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" etc. pack). If I only play "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition" and "Monkey Island 2: Special Edition", is that pretty much in order, or do I miss out/spoil stuff from the Tales pack?

I'd rather not get the Tales pack unless it goes on sale or something, for now.

Sloegr

Blizzard said:
I do have a stupid question though...there's the $35, not-on-sale Tales of Monkey Island pack that includes 5 chapters (I assume this is the "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" etc. pack). If I only play "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition" and "Monkey Island 2: Special Edition", is that pretty much in order, or do I miss out/spoil stuff from the Tales pack?

I can't speak to spoilers since I haven't played Tales, but given how Tales was made so long after MI 1 and 2, any 'spoilers' for Tales would be intended, I think.

Also, Tales of Monkey Island is on sale for $5 at Telltale's site. http://www.telltalegames.com/playlikeapirate

Joe Molotov

Blizzard said:

There are four original Monkey Island games from LucasArts. Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island II have been remade and released on Steam, then there's Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island that aren't on Steam. Then Tales from Monkey Island comes after that. You should definitely play MI 1 & 2 first, at any rate.

Blizzard

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
There are four original Monkey Island games from LucasArts. Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island II have been remade and released on Steam, then there's Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island that aren't on Steam. Then Tales from Monkey Island comes after that. You should definitely play MI 1 & 2 first, at any rate.
Thanks, will do. I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread (that I've noticed) about the $35 for $5 deal. That's huge for all five episodes, that I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Blizzard said:

Monkey Island 1 & 2 are the originals and came out in the 90's, the Telltale ones came out earlier this year. You won't miss anything by skipping the Telltale stuff.

YYZ

What does getting the full version of Beat Hazard unlock? I have the demo and I can do quite a bit in the game. Also what's so special about iTunes support? Is it just playlists?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
YYZ said:
What does getting the full version of Beat Hazard unlock? I have the demo and I can do quite a bit in the game. Also what's so special about iTunes support? Is it just playlists?

iTunes support gives the ability to play iTunes purchased songs in general. The proprietary iTunes format requires a license, and by picking up that DLC you're essentially covering the license expense to be able to play music bought via the iTunes service.

The full version lets you level up all the way (I'm pretty sure there's a cap in the demo). And it does change the game pretty substantially when you can start with 2 volumes and 2 weapon upgrades.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I guess this is a mix of question and shameful confession.

I started playing Half Life 2 and it's pretty cool but I realized that I want to play Half Life before I do... Yes, that's right... I never did.

Anyway, I got them in the HL Complete pack some time ago so it's right here, but I was wondering how to enable vsync. Forcing it via CCC doesn't work and I couldn't find any config mods or console commands.

Salacious Crumb

Dice said:
I guess this is a mix of question and shameful confession.

I started playing Half Life 2 and it's pretty cool but I realized that I want to play Half Life before I do... Yes, that's right... I never did.

Anyway, I got them in the HL Complete pack some time ago so it's right here, but I was wondering how to enable vsync. Forcing it via CCC doesn't work and I couldn't find any config mods or console commands.

D3DOverrider, It comes as a part of Riva Tuner which you can get here:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone ever had problems with...Peggle, in Windows Vista 64? o_O In full screen it was acting weird, and in windowed mode it takes like 10-15 seconds to load, and then whenever I try to go to the options screen it goes completely black.

*edit* Seems to be, of all things, ATI 10.7/10.8 drivers? And disabling acceleration might fix it, but first it would be nice if I could -see- the options screen. :lol I'm updating to 10.9 and will report if that fixes it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Salacious Crumb said:
D3DOverrider, It comes as a part of Riva Tuner which you can get here
Half-Life natively and runs best in Open-GL. Other video modes are glitchy and broken including DirectX. Open-GL gets nothing out of D3DOverrider.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, it looks like Peggle AND possibly Plants vs Zombies have issues with "3D Acceleration" turned on and ATI versions since like 10.6. The latest version of the ATI drivers and CCC still have the problem. Blindly clicking around (see this screen for reference: http://ded.zenblue.net/peggle_win7.jpg) got rid of the black screen finally, so I can Peggle away.

Booooo ATI, and/or PopCap.

Also, CCC 10.9 seems quite responsive, which is a welcome change, but unfortunately the Steam install automatically installed the communications opt-in and I had to go to the control panel and run the Catalyst install manager thing (which I think also got installed?) to get rid of it.

Haeleos

On Direct2Drive, you can get the Monkey Island Special Edition bundle for $2.50 by adding it to your cart and using the coupon code "PAX2010". Just thought I'd throw that out there. For those that don't care about having all of their games on Steam.

pirata

Haeleos said:
On Direct2Drive, you can get the Monkey Island Special Edition bundle for $2.50 by adding it to your cart and using the coupon code "PAX2010". Just thought I'd throw that out there. For those that don't care about having all of their games on Steam.

Damn it, I already bought the Steam bundle! Oh well.

graywolf323

Volcynika said:
Not sure if anyone posted it or I missed it, but if you're getting Darksiders, it's preloadable now.

I want to get it eventually but I'll wait for a sale

Haeleos said:

is that code good on anything else?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
graywolf323 said:
is that code good on anything else?
From the DD Sales Thread:
Catshade said:
Just got this from an RPS comment: Use the code PAX2010 on Direct2Drive.com and you can get $5 off on any games. If you use it on the summer sale games, you can get Arsenal of Democracy, King's Bounty: The Legend, Men of War: Red Tide, Dirt 2, or Serious Sam: First/Second Encounter for only $1 each! :D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Haeleos said:
It's a shame that code doesn't work on the UK side, because The Monkey Island games are region protected (I have to buy the UK edition, same price but then the code doesn't work). Still, I just bought Men Of War: Red Tide for less than £1 :D

graywolf323

Stallion Free said:
From the DD Sales Thread:

SimCity 4 Deluxe for $5 is mighty tempting...

but I would prefer it on Steam and I wouldn't be shocked if they have it at 75% off eventually

edit: ooh all the Doctor Who games for $8 and it sounds like they are exclusive to D2D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It also says I have multiple profiles listed on my account when I log in... Does this affect anything?
No, I have 4 and as long as I click the right one (I.E the profile I have bought the games with) it's all good.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
crimsonheadGCN said:
Delve Deeper store page has been added to the "Coming Soon" list and it will be released on September 20, 2010. It will be $4.99 most likely.
The game plays like a turn based cross between Miner Dig Deep and Dungeon Keeper, which is already a dangerously addictive combination. It's good, but if the creator bakes this for awhile longer he can turn it into crack rock. Like N->N+ or Trials->Trials HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom