• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If anyone is able to gift me f1 2010, throw me a PM and payment will be done over paypal as normal.

I knew i should have purchased it before they upped the price :/

Minsc

Gold Member
FrancisH said:
Well from reading this thread about Monkey Island I just bought the MI 1+2 bundle from D2D and Tales from Telltale for ~£5 and ~£3.30 respectively for both myself and my GF. Ta GAF :D (That is ALL the MI games, right?)

As mentioned there's MI3 and MI4, but MI3 is the best of the series, and money's on the GF agreeing with me.

So I just beat Half-Life (for the first time) and thoroughly enjoyed it...Yes, even the Xen part. I wondering which expansion to jump into first: Opposing Force or Blue Shift? Does either relate more directly to the first game?

Schmattakopf said:
One of my first purchases was C&C3: Kane's Wrath, which I now notice has the little orange box that says, "Notice: Requires the Steam version of Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars in order to play." ...But I've been playing without any problems, without the Steam version of the original. I have the retail version and it's installed to a different hard drive.

Obviously not a bad thing. I'm just confused because Kane's Wrath is not a standalone expansion.
Reposting in case anyone knows.

Kifimbo

blackMamba1187 said:
So I just beat Half-Life (for the first time) and thoroughly enjoyed it...Yes, even the Xen part. i wondering which expansion I should jump into first: Opposing Force of Blue Shift? Does either relate more directly to the first game?

Opposing Force came out first. You should start with OP. Then Blue Shift.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
blackMamba1187 said:
So I just beat Half-Life (for the first time) and thoroughly enjoyed it...Yes, even the Xen part. I wondering which expansion to jump into first: Opposing Force or Blue Shift? Does either relate more directly to the first game?
Opposing Force has you playing one of the Marines that was sent in in Half-Life 1. You cross paths with Gordon Freeman at least once (can't remember if their are any others) and swing by one another place he visited. It sheds light on another aspect of the story and ties up one loose end that had been left in Half-Life 1.

Blue Shift has you playing as Barney and the game once again has you cross paths with Gordon a couple times. It's not as epic as either of the other two games, but it's still quality Half-Life. Play it last I guess.

Twig

Banned
blackMamba1187 said:
They both relate equally to the main game. They're both pretty short. OpFor is a much better game (IMO), but neither is bad. There's no real order in which to play them, aside from "Half-Life first".

The original versions of Serious Sam: The First Encounter and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter will be available through Steam on Thursday. It will be part of package called Serious Sam HD Gold Edition.

Also, Droplitz is the Midweek Madness deal @ 80% off.

Update:

Lara Croft Guardian of Light should be up for pre-purchase soon and will include Tomb Raider Legend as a bonus which you will be able to gift if you already have it.

Also, a Sonic Classics package will be going up soon and will include the following:
Sonic 3D Blast, Dr.Robotknicks Mean Bean Machine, and Sonic Spinball.

Edit

Seems that I'm late on the Lara Craft info.

Nabs

i tried out the steam wallet today. worked nicely. when you add money, it appears on the top of your steam gui (in front of your username).

Not sure if this should go here but I have a 25% UbiSoft coupon for any game on their site. Would be willing to trade it to someone for a $10 Steam game or so.

Nabs

i have the same 25% coupon and i'm willing to trade for $8.95

Metalic Sand said:
I have one im willing to give for FREE. Just PM me. Trying to trade a %25 off coupon after getting an INSANE deal cancelled from ubisoft is kinda lame!

yeah i'd totally give mine away for free.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
LovingSteam said:
Not sure if this should go here but I have a 25% UbiSoft coupon for any game on their site. Would be willing to trade it to someone for a $10 Steam game or so.

I have one im willing to give for FREE. Just PM me. Trying to trade a %25 off coupon after getting an INSANE deal cancelled from ubisoft is kinda lame!

Metalic Sand said:

Ehh, if someone wants it and is willing to trade for it, they are free to do so. Not forcing anyone to do anything.

Minsc

Gold Member
Visualante said:
But what is the benefit to us as consumers?

It's impossible for Steam to disable your account because you can't have an invalid transaction when purchasing a game?

LovingSteam said:

It's a coupon for 25% off one game and you'd want $10 for it? That seems barely worth the hassle.

Minsc said:
It's impossible for Steam to disable your account because you can't have an invalid transaction when purchasing a game?
Personally I've never suffered this account lockout thing, but surely you suffer the same risk of being locked out when you pre-purchase steam credit as you do when purchasing the game direct.

If Steam or your bank card is blocking your purchases this isn't an effective solution- they should just get their shit together. I simply see it as a free loan to Valve right now.

graywolf323

I'd be interested in grabbing R.U.S.E. off the Ubisoft store with one of those coupons but I don't think it'd work on Steam

"Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam"

:-(

Boonoo

graywolf323 said:
I'd be interested in grabbing R.U.S.E. off the Ubisoft store with one of those coupons but I don't think it'd work on Steam

"Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam"

:-(

That's strange. I thought R.U.S.E. was a Steamworks title.

Rubezh

I'm a bit confused regarding the Guardian of Light and Legend deal. Can I keep Legend for my own account without gifting it to anybody?

Rubezh said:
I'm a bit confused regarding the Guardian of Light and Legend deal. Can I keep Legend for my own account without gifting it to anybody?

Yes. If you don't already have it, you have to keep it. If you do have it, you can gift it.

blackMamba1187 said:
I like them both but I'd say opposing force is better. But you gotta love Barney.

Blizzard

Banned
I was already pretty much intending to get the Lara Croft game at full ($15!) price, but news of free (at least for the first) DLC makes me even happier about supporting it. :)

Civ 5 was the opposite...I was considering getting it despite all the DLC for maps and civilizations not included, and then I found the online still uses GAMESPY? :( I'll probably give the demo a shot at least.

Blizzard said:
I was already pretty much intending to get the Lara Croft game at full ($15!) price, but news of free (at least for the first) DLC makes me even happier about supporting it. :)

Civ 5 was the opposite...I was considering getting it despite all the DLC for maps and civilizations not included, and then I found the online still uses GAMESPY? :( I'll probably give the demo a shot at least.

The online portion of Civilization V uses Steam for playing against people. Gamespy is only used for the download and upload of modifications.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
A ton of my gaming buddies including myself bought the Civ 4 pack earlier this year when it was 10$ and we just bypassed Gamespy by using Tunngle. Fuck that Gamespy shit.

Blizzard

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
The online portion of Civilization V uses Steam for playing against people. Gamespy is only used for the download and upload of modifications.
Huh, okay. I just had bad experiences with Borderlands and Civ 4. The one or two times I and some friends tried to get a Civ 4 game going, it was hard to get people into the room, like two people took forever to load and/or lagged out, some people might not have even been able to join (though I think one was due to them having a mod installed), etc.

I mean MAYBE some of them crappy internet connections, but still. I think one or two disconnected because the other two hadn't loaded, and then when they finally got in we couldn't rejoin the game or whatever. :lol

So does it work fairly seamlessly without requiring all the port forwarding shenanigans like Borderlands? Even with port forwarding Borderlands was hit and miss.

Notice about September 27, 2010:

Our physical server move is complete, and we've lit up the new servers we've added to the Steam back-end. The last step is to do some migration that, unfortunately, can't be done without downtime.

To perform this work, we'll be taking Steam down for four hours on Monday, September 27, 2010, starting at 2000 (PDT, which is GMT-7). The Steam Store, Steam Community, matchmaking, and leader boards will be down for the duration of this event. The forums will be up.

Sorry for the inconvenience -- we know that the extended duration of the downtime is problematic for our users, but occasional downtime for maintenance is unavoidable.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17046489&postcount=244

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Does droplitz not have graphics options? It's not really a game i want to play fullscreen'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom