• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

blackMamba1187 said:
Cool. I got both Serious Sam games for $2.18 total. Thanks for that.

I thought those games could be activated on Steam but I can't seem to find a serial for the 2nd one... (already owned the first through a Steam sale)

Twig

Banned
stupid indie multiplayer games

only like five people ever play plain sight at the same time and they're always on different servers and ALWAYS deathmatch

it's such a fun game too

i am so sad

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There are never any kids anywhere near my computer and I'm getting really tired of entering my birthdate when looking at games in the store. Is there some way to make Steam permanently open to all content?

Just updated my driver via steam and while the process worked just fine, Catalyst no longer would save my overscan settings and I would get black bars. Thankfully, ATi had a patch for this on their website.

Slavik81

Dice said:
There are never any kids anywhere near my computer and I'm getting really tired of entering my birthdate when looking at games in the store. Is there some way to make Steam permanently open to all content?
The ESRB requires it work that way, so no.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Slavik81 said:
The ESRB requires it work that way, so no.
Shit. They could at least let me type it in rather than use the stupid drop-down boxes.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does Direct2Drive have any DRM or bullshit I need to worry about?

Just what would come with the disc version of the game normally. So GFWL in the case of Dirt 2. The service is fine these days.

Does Dirt 2 on D2D have any copy-protection besides normal first-time authentication? Their pages aren't that good at providing that info.

Edit: OK that was bad timing.

vazel

Banned
I like to have all my games on Steam when possible but I couldn't resist Dirt 2 for a buck after the promo code.

Edit: Yuck it's downloading in a zip file. Installation setup files are already compressed I don't see the point. It's just wasted time having to unzip then install from the setup file.

Edit2: Yay the promo code worked a second time. Got Champions Online for a buck too. It's about what a Cryptic MMO is worth for the free first month.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Somebody should make a "Direct2Drive games you can register on Steam" list, so people can easily appreciate these Direct2Drive discounts.

Blizzard

Banned
Yargh, I just did some research but I do not have authoritative answers!

1. From this page http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55176&page=58 , a person/people are claiming that some people had problems with digital versions of Dirt 2 (specifically the Direct2Drive version) and had to use a pirated ISO/nocd crack. Has anyone heard about or experienced this?

2. Some people like those here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=532623 are saying that Direct2Drive has unlimited downloads, but limited INSTALLS...or potentially unlimited installs, but you have to somehow go to the website and use activation codes or request more. Does anyone have any definitive answer about D2D installs? Also, this page http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/direct2drive_drm/perm=2/ says that if you try to activate repeatedly in a short amount of time they will make you contact support.

3. This page http://reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?498-drm-information claims that Dirt 2 has SecuROM 7.something, though it's only a disc check. I don't even know if that's involved with the digital versions, and Steam doesn't mention it so maybe the Steam version doesn't have it (though I think there may have been one or two games where Steam just doesn't tell you). Is that correct?

Blizzard said:
Yargh, I just did some research but I do not have authoritative answers!

1. From this page http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55176&page=58 , a person/people are claiming that some people had problems with digital versions of Dirt 2 (specifically the Direct2Drive version) and had to use a pirated ISO/nocd crack. Has anyone heard about or experienced this?

2. Some people like those here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=532623 are saying that Direct2Drive has unlimited downloads, but limited INSTALLS...or potentially unlimited installs, but you have to somehow go to the website and use activation codes or request more. Does anyone have any definitive answer about D2D installs? Also, this page http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/direct2drive_drm/perm=2/ says that if you try to activate repeatedly in a short amount of time they will make you contact support.

3. This page http://reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?498-drm-information claims that Dirt 2 has SecuROM 7.something, though it's only a disc check. I don't even know if that's involved with the digital versions, and Steam doesn't mention it so maybe the Steam version doesn't have it (though I think there may have been one or two games where Steam just doesn't tell you). Is that correct?

Worked fine for me. Just had to enter the key once you start it. Same as how steam handles GFWL.

Probably just people being dramatic or they're just dumb.

Sanjay

GFWL is fine, it gives you achievement points which adds to your overall gamerscore. It really sets it apart from any other achievements system on the PC side.

From all the GFWL games that I have played I have never had any problems, I prefer it over stuff like using gamespy and shit like that when trying to play on-line. I also like that it uses universal ports to play on-line in p2p games.

IceMarker

My views on GFWL are pretty neutral, it just still seems to be a poorly implemented Xbox Live though... it still gets the job done more or less.

Choabac

Apologies in advance if it is not alright to post this request in here.

Is there a US Gaffer that would be willing to gift me Civilization V, in exchange for payment by paypal? It costs US $80 on the Australian store.

In other steam related news, the video card update worked magnificently.

thy_

Stop It said:
It's a shame that code doesn't work on the UK side, because The Monkey Island games are region protected (I have to buy the UK edition, same price but then the code doesn't work). Still, I just bought Men Of War: Red Tide for less than £1 :D

As a mainland European I can't use the code on Dirt2. :/ Or anything else I tried.

randomlyrossy said:
I was not aware of this, I mostly just played through the beginning areas so I didn't really spending enough time with it to pick up on the fact the music was different. That's pretty lame.

Well I guess we can hope the orchestral score has been restored for the PC version, it's weird because I'm pretty sure they released the soundtrack when the DC came out too.

I bought the STEAM version of Broken Sword: The Director's Cut and the live orchestral score has NOT been restored. It's the same synth crap on the Wii version. Not only that, the description of the game on Steam says "Enhanced Audio and Music." This is a blatant LIE and inexcusable! What's even more absurd is in the game, there's a link to iTunes to buy the soundtrack, and it's the original fully live orchestral version!! Fucking RIDICULOUS. I wish I could get my $10 back.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Twig said:
Restart? Usually fixes it for me. D:
Nah, still that way. I'm on OSX, and every now and then all of my lists are undone. Except, funnily enough, the Valve games. I still have a subdivision of Valve and Everything Else.

Twig

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Nah, still that way. I'm on OSX, and every now and then all of my lists are undone. Except, funnily enough, the Valve games. I still have a subdivision of Valve and Everything Else.
I FOUND YOUR PROBLEM AMIRITE OGOD OLO

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Twig said:
I FOUND YOUR PROBLEM AMIRITE OGOD OLO
Well I think Steam syncs lists between computers, right? Like, its a cloud thing? Because they're disorganized on my Win 7 partition as well now.

And I gave up trying to add non-Steam games months ago. Those never last more then a few hours.

One of my first purchases was C&C3: Kane's Wrath, which I now notice has the little orange box that says, "Notice: Requires the Steam version of Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars in order to play." ...But I've been playing without any problems, without the Steam version of the original. I have the retail version and it's installed to a different hard drive.

Obviously not a bad thing. I'm just confused because Kane's Wrath is not a standalone expansion.

IrishNinja

hey, GAF - didn't want to clutter up the GOG thread, but what DRM does steam use again? is it just that you have to launch games from their client or wha?

FrancisH

Well from reading this thread about Monkey Island I just bought the MI 1+2 bundle from D2D and Tales from Telltale for ~£5 and ~£3.30 respectively for both myself and my GF. Ta GAF :D (That is ALL the MI games, right?)

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
IrishNinja said:
hey, GAF - didn't want to clutter up the GOG thread, but what DRM does steam use again? is it just that you have to launch games from their client or wha?

The DRM for most Steam games is the Steam client itself, you need to have it running all times to play your games. An offline mode is available so you can still play your games if your internet goes down tough beware you can't install Steam games in the offline even if you have made a backup in your hard drive. Also some games use another DRM on top of Steam like securerom or something like that.

Joe Molotov

FrancisH said:
Well from reading this thread about Monkey Island I just bought the MI 1+2 bundle from D2D and Tales from Telltale for ~£5 and ~£3.30 respectively for both myself and my GF. Ta GAF :D (That is ALL the MI games, right?)

No, there's also Curse of Monkey Island (MI3) and Escape from Monkey Island (MI4). They came out in '97 and 2000 and haven't been re-released like the first two. MI4 is pretty bad anyway, but MI3 is awesome though.

FrancisH

Joe Molotov said:
No, there's also Curse of Monkey Island (MI3) and Escape from Monkey Island (MI4). They came out in '97 and 2000 and haven't been re-released like the first two. MI4 is pretty bad anyway, but MI3 is awesome though.

Thank you, Joe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom