• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWX

evlcookie said:
Darksiders is now out on steam. Anyone got it or heard any reports on how it runs?

How come? On my client it says it'll be unlocked in 23 hours. Maybe it's a regional release (international to follow later - I'm in Brazil btw).

I hope they release the first dungeon demo, to see how it runs on my rig and enerything.

EDIT: well, the post above me explains it.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So a certain person gifted me Graviton 2 on Steam for apparently no reason other that it was on my wishlist, that was kinda odd but i say thank you very much! Anyway i played a little of that and man that game is hard, it seems pretty cool so far and it ha some nice music but it's very hard, maybe i'll get better with practice since the controls get some getting used to.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Blizzard said:
Huh, okay. I just had bad experiences with Borderlands and Civ 4. The one or two times I and some friends tried to get a Civ 4 game going, it was hard to get people into the room, like two people took forever to load and/or lagged out, some people might not have even been able to join (though I think one was due to them having a mod installed), etc.

I mean MAYBE some of them crappy internet connections, but still. I think one or two disconnected because the other two hadn't loaded, and then when they finally got in we couldn't rejoin the game or whatever. :lol

So does it work fairly seamlessly without requiring all the port forwarding shenanigans like Borderlands? Even with port forwarding Borderlands was hit and miss.

I'm interested in how it works with Borderlands as well. I've been playing that game quite a bit but sometimes my friend, i'm always the host, can't get invited and has to restart his game at least twice.

I know tunngle works much like Hamachi and PlayLinc, i just don't know how much better it works.

Nilla

Banned
261dtlk.png

Baha

DMPrince said:
steam is down?

It's been going down and up all night, I'm guessing this is part of their server migration which will finally end next week. It's annoying but necessary.

will they ever run out of railworks dlc, its so obnoxious in what they are doing with the free advertising, having like 10-25% of every special page, every week devoted to a game that probably has less than 500 owners worldwide.

Rubius

ZombieSupaStar said:
will they ever run out of railworks dlc, its so obnoxious in what they are doing with the free advertising, having like 10-25% of every special page, every week devoted to a game that probably has less than 500 owners worldwide.
500 owner who will buy over 780$ of DLC.
Its the modern Electric Train. I just wish I could hide some games... like the one I already own...

ArjanN

lowrider007 said:
Can't find Darksiders on the UK steam store, is it supposed to be up yet?

In the Netherlands here: earlier this week it said the 24th on steam. Now it's dissapeared from the 'coming soon' section.

giri

ZombieSupaStar said:

I think Railworks has a prety big following actually.

So who's gonna be the first one here to post impressions on the darksiders port? We need details on graphics options, control options, and how well optimized it is, stat! :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TouchMyBox said:
So who's gonna be the first one here to post impressions on the darksiders port? We need details on graphics options, control options, and how well optimized it is, stat! :)
According to the Darksiders OT, the only graphical options are resolution and v-sync. I'm still waiting to hear if forcing AA is possible.

ZombieSupaStar said:

I'm pretty sure it has a much larger following than that. Also, I doubt that they will ever run out of DLC, since the vast majority of it isn't done by RailSimulator.com. The DLC is generally done by the community and then submitted to RailSimulator.com for evaluation and possible sale.

poweld

Stallion Free said:
According to the Darksiders OT, the only graphical options are resolution and v-sync. I'm still waiting to hear if forcing AA is possible.
Isn't forcing AA always possible? It inserts itself between the application and the driver calls, I believe.

poweld

Stallion Free said:
No, not every game is compatible with forcing it.
I believe you, I just can't figure out why this is the case. The GPU is performing the AA based on the geometry it's computed for the frame. Any idea why this would work for some games and not another?

Only reason I can think of is deprecated driver calls or post-processing. I have no experience in graphics, so I'm blind and curious.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
poweld said:
I believe you, I just can't figure out why this is the case. The GPU is performing the AA based on the geometry it's computed for the frame. Any idea why this would work for some games and not another?

Only reason I can think of is deprecated driver calls or post-processing. I have no experience in graphics, so I'm blind and curious.
Some rendering techniques (I believe the most common is deferred rendering) just aren't compatible with any form of AA in DirectX 9. DirectX 10 fixed this and does allow for AA with many of these rendering techniques, but games don't always bother releasing with DX10 support. Bionic Commando and Rearmed are a perfect example of this.

poweld

Stallion Free said:
Some rendering techniques (I believe the most common is deferred rendering) just aren't compatible with any form of AA in DirectX 9. DirectX 10 fixed this and does allow for AA with many of these rendering techniques, but games don't always bother releasing with DX10 support. Bionic Commando and Rearmed are a perfect example of this.
Makes sense! Apologies for the derail, and thanks for the explanation, Stallion.

Remy

Just want to point out to the people railing (HO HO!) on RailWorks that if you look at the current stats page, RailWorks has a peak of 393 players so far today, which is around the level of Torchlight and Fallout 3:GOTY.

graywolf323

LovingSteam said:
Looks like Serious Sam Gold is the weekend deal ($10 instead of $40). Also if you have either SSHD1 or SSHD2, you can gift the extra copy to a friend.

tempting

I have SSHD1 and want SSHD2 does anyone only want/need SSHD1 and want to go 50/50?

John

graywolf323 said:
tempting

I have SSHD1 and want SSHD2 does anyone only want/need SSHD1 and want to go 50/50?
The games are also available individually and as four-packs.

This puts SSHD1 at $2.81 if you four-pack. I'm willing to buy, PM me if you want in.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm tempted to get SSHD. Not sure about 2 since I don't play anything online much and it seems like it just adds new modes for that.

Pm'ed on that 4 pack.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dice said:
I'm tempted to get SSHD1&2.
If you have any interest at all then this is one of the best times to buy. The servers should get a little bump from the sale. It's a pretty great game in singleplayer, but the co-op is transcendental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom