• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
BobsRevenge said:
Yeah, definitely thinking that the classic Serious Sam games play better. I also like the older graphics more. If I had the second encounter CD I'd probably regret this purchase a bit. Would rather have gotten the classics on GOG.

So i bought the SSHD remixes when they were like 10 dollars a while ago. Is there any reason for my to buy them now? Other than the gifting that is...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
zombieshavebrains said:
So i bought the SSHD remixes when they were like 10 dollars a while ago. Is there any reason for my to buy them now? Other than the gifting that is...
You desperately need the original 2 games that can't be got any other way? Honestly, the remakes don't seem different enough to be worth it.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
zombieshavebrains said:
Nah, they are almost the same. The feel is slightly different and the old one seems to have more consistent AI. Other than that its pretty much the same exact game with fancier graphics. The classics also don't really have widescreen support natively, which is a downside.

deleted

Anyone up for gifting me the 2nd Encounter? Its 5 EUR around here and I have an itch to play it again. Will paypal you the money back or gift you something equivalent...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
xyla said:
Anyone up for gifting me the 2nd Encounter? Its 5 EUR around here and I have an itch to play it again. Will paypal you the money back or gift you something equivalent...
Sure.

Add Kevin_Jack2.0, so we can do this.

EDIT 1: oops, meant K.Jack2.0

EDIT 2: gift exchange complete!

epmode

Instro said:
Snagged the HD SS games, seems fun and feels oh so archaic.
Archaic in the best way possible, I hope! The pure FPS is a great genre that's almost completely forgotten these days.

Joe Molotov

Woo, Delve Deeper is finally up for $4.49. Downloading that now.

Also up, is some new p-&-c adventure called "Lost Horizon" ($17.99) from the makers of Secret Files 1 & 2. I may pick this up, or I may wait. I got burned on my last adventure game purchase on Steam, Alter Ego, which was a huge stinkburger. I did like Secret Files 1, though.

Joe Molotov said:
Woo, Delve Deeper is finally up for $4.49. Downloading that now.

Also up, is some new p-&-c adventure called "Lost Horizon" ($17.99) from the makers of Secret Files 1 & 2. I may pick this up, or I may wait. I got burned on my last adventure game purchase on Steam, Alter Ego, which was a huge stinkburger. I did like Secret Files 1, though.

I've been looking to get Lost Horizon too. Really enjoyed SF 1 and 2 for what they were. Part of a dying genre. Adventuregamers.com (the only genre-specific reviewers I pay attention to anymore) gave it a 3.5/5 stars. Maybe we should both get it, play it, then complain together if it sucks :)

Joe Molotov said:
Also up, is some new p-&-c adventure called "Lost Horizon" ($17.99)
fuck the regions, srsly!

k50t9j.png

deleted

I don´t get the "dying genre" speech for adventure games. Sure they were gone for a while, but at the moment the genre is alive and kicking. It has found its niche with seasonal games and there a few European developers who are dedicated to adventure games and they are quite successful with that. The quality is not quite comparable to DotT, but there are more than a few games coming out each year.

3D Mascot Jump'n'Runs on the other hand ...

xyla said:
I don´t get the "dying genre" speech for adventure games. Sure they were gone for a while, but at the moment the genre is alive and kicking. It has found its niche with seasonal games and there a few European developers who are dedicated to adventure games and they are quite successful with that. The quality is not quite comparable to DotT, but there are more than a few games coming out each year.

3D Mascot Jump'n'Runs on the other hand ...

You're right, I don't mean dying genre, all I mean is they aren't what they once were. You're lucky if you get an adventure game that compares to what they used to be. Just as you said, that's all. I personally play a great majority of adventure games that release these days, and love quite a bit of them for what they are.

stuminus3

xyla said:
You could also just have said "Telltale, fucking awesome."

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
stuminus3 said:
You could also just have said "Telltale, fucking awesome."
…not this again. Telltale ARE fucking awesome. They co-exist with other adventure-making companies though. It's just that Telltale is in the spotlight (for good reason, of course). The adventure genre was never truly dead because there always was Germany all along to keep it afloat.

Here, obscure adventures probably noone on these forums knows are sold at retail for like 40€, and that was true in 2001 through 2010. I'm not kidding.

Kabouter

Joe Molotov said:
Lost Horizon is very much like Secret Files. It's basically about as good as Secret Files 1, except the art is way better and the voice acting is non-terrible. I finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it.

wmat said:
Here, obscure adventures probably noone on these forums knows are sold at retail for like 40€, and that was true in 2001 through 2010. I'm not kidding.
Probably played half of those :lol

stuminus3

wmat said:
…not this again. Telltale ARE fucking awesome. They co-exist with other adventure-making companies though. It's just that Telltale is in the spotlight (for good reason, of course). The adventure genre was never truly dead because there always was Germany all along to keep it afloat.

Depends on what you mean by "keep it afloat". The adventure genre is it's own worst enemy, and adventure game fans have a tendency to be fickle mush-heads. It needed what Telltale have done to actually go somewhere more mutually agreeable.

But this isn't the topic for this discussion. *ahem*

I own some of those obscure adventures, by the way, and was always happy to pay "full price".... old fashioned point 'n' click is one of my favorite PC genres... :D

Yes, there are a shitload of adventure game setting hidden object games for like 20-25€ available as well. Games where you only see something like this the whole time:

haunted-hotel_sc1.jpg

And this is the explanation why last horizon is nearly 40bucks here. I would totally buy it for 18€ though.

epmode

Kabouter said:
Lost Horizon is very much like Secret Files. It's basically about as good as Secret Files 1, except the art is way better and the voice acting is non-terrible. I finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it.
OMG interested. Demo pls!

And speaking of obscure European adventure games, have you ever played Overclocked: A History of Violence? Aside from a crappy ending, it impressed the hell out of me. Great atmosphere.

deleted

wmat said:

Jup, Deck13 with the Ankh series for example. Its good that the genre is still around, its great for relaxed gaming.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
You're right, I don't mean dying genre, all I mean is they aren't what they once were. You're lucky if you get an adventure game that compares to what they used to be. Just as you said, that's all. I personally play a great majority of adventure games that release these days, and love quite a bit of them for what they are.

We agree then ;). I don´t play them enough though, partly because of steam and my ever growing backlog.

Joe Molotov

We should have a "What's your favorite adventure games released since adventure games died (Post-Grim Fandango)?"

I'd be interested to see what everyone would pick.

epmode

Joe Molotov said:
We should have a "What's your favorite adventure games released since adventure games died (Post-Grim Fandango)?"

Machinarium. Runners-up: Dreamfall and the Zombie Cow games.

vazel

Banned
Just goes to show how much people loved LucasArts and Sierra adventure games that when they stopped making them so many considered the genre dead. Which is funny because my three most favorite adventure games came when the adventure genre was 'dead', the Syberia games and Return to Mysterious Island(puzzles actually fit in with the setting in this game!). The reports of the death of the adventure genre have been greatly exaggerated. ;)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Joe Molotov said:

Dreamfall, surely. (Although it's far too easy)

Twig

Banned
wmat said:
Dreamfall, surely. (Although it's far too easy)
I love Dreamfall, but it's... I dunno. Super super easy. I don't want to say it's not a game because that's just plain not true, but there are a lot of flaws with it. ):

epmode said:
OMG interested. Demo pls!

And speaking of obscure European adventure games, have you ever played Overclocked: A History of Violence? Aside from a crappy ending, it impressed the hell out of me. Great atmosphere.

I just recently reinstalled my copy, wanted to try and finish it.

What about Subulstrum (in Russia), it's called Outcry here in the States. Really love that game. There are a fair amount of really good, obscure adventure games that are hits in Europe but quite unknown here. I love it.

For those interested:

Lost Horizon english demo

Lime

ChoklitReign said:
Maybe I should try Dreamfall. I never get more than an hour or two ahead in adventure games because the puzzles are too hard.

If you haven't already, play Longest Journey first. It makes Dreamfall a more intimate experience. Also, it has better story. Although the puzzles might irritate you (rubberduck in the beginning for example).

EDIT: What epmode said.

epmode

ChoklitReign said:
Maybe I should try Dreamfall. I never get more than an hour or two ahead in adventure games because the puzzles are too hard.
That is a tough post. I really want to recommend that you play through The Longest Journey before Dreamfall since you'll get a lot more out of the sequel that way, but TLJ has some incredibly obtuse puzzles that might annoy you.

Dreamfall is on the other end of the spectrum; It's almost impossible to get stuck.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I am interested. Downloading now.

nexen

Joe Molotov said:

Tales of Monkey Island

Joe Molotov

Personally, my favorites would be:

- The Lost Crown
- Scratches
- Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
- Syberia 1 & 2
- Sinking Island

(none of which are on Steam :/)

Joe Molotov said:

Machinarium. Although it's really the only one I've played the whole thing of since Myst (never finished Riven).

epmode said:
That is a tough post. I really want to recommend that you play through The Longest Journey before Dreamfall since you'll get a lot more out of the sequel that way, but TLJ has some incredibly obtuse puzzles that might annoy you.

Dreamfall is on the other end of the spectrum; It's almost impossible to get stuck.I am interested. Downloading now.

I played Dreamfall first and then TLJ. I usually dislike obtuse puzzles, but it all worked out for me. I didn't feel that I was missing out on too much by not first playing TLJ, but then when I went to replay Dreamfall after playing TLJ, I was able to appreciated it even more, and it was kinda fun to hear all the allusions to TLJ and then finally getting to play those bits when I actually got around to it.

I did have to pull up gamefaqs, but it was such an awesome experience. I'd highly recommend those games to everybody.

Blizzard

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
I played Dreamfall first and then TLJ. I usually dislike obtuse puzzles, but it all worked out for me. I didn't feel that I was missing out on too much by not first playing TLJ, but then when I went to replay Dreamfall after playing TLJ, I was able to appreciated it even more, and it was kinda fun to hear all the allusions to TLJ and then finally getting to play those bits when I actually got around to it.

I did have to pull up gamefaqs, but it was such an awesome experience. I'd highly recommend those games to everybody.
I want to get them but Steam has conditioned me to wait for a sale on the bundle pack. :lol

zoku88

LocoMrPollock said:
Is Garry's mod just like a toybox mode or is there an objective to complete?
last time I played, it was a toybox thing.

Could've changed in the past couple of years, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom