• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's just a toybox for making crazy things. They added achievements, but I think some of them would take a ridiculous amount of time to do.

Kabouter

epmode said:
OMG interested. Demo pls!

And speaking of obscure European adventure games, have you ever played Overclocked: A History of Violence? Aside from a crappy ending, it impressed the hell out of me. Great atmosphere.
I loved Overclocked, but indeed the ending was shit. You should play The Moment of Silence by the same developers, it's a bit older and the character graphics are pretty shit now, but it's my favourite post-Grim Fandango adventure game (though I love Syberia 1 and 2 as well). They also made a newer game, 15 Days, but for some reason, it keeps crashing on 64 bit, so I can't play it :(.

Joe Molotov said:
- Sinking Island
Yeah, good game. Wish White Birds had made another detective game instead of that Nikopol game.

ArjanN

Blizzard said:
I'm pretty sure it's just a toybox for making crazy things. They added achievements, but I think some of them would take a ridiculous amount of time to do.

The achievements in Gary's mod are so trolling the achievement system, it's pretty funny.

speculawyer said:
Aaah . . . it is now available for the Mac. Anyway, good time to picked it up for only $5.

spotlight_garry_onMac.jpg
Wat! Productivity -1000

Mr_Zombie

What exactly is Garry's mod? I've seen many images or movies from it, but I never really understand what it is. Also, can you port other models (outside from Valve games) into it?

Blizzard

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
What exactly is Garry's mod? I've seen many images or movies from it, but I never really understand what it is. Also, can you port other models (outside from Valve games) into it?
It's a Source engine sandbox where you can use Valve game models and objects, and pose things. You can use physics to whatever extent the Source engine allows, I guess, so you can make catapaults or whatnot. You can run around and poke things and maybe shoot things too (I'm not sure if you can use guns, actually).

I'm also not sure if you can import outside models, but I'd guess there is some way to do it, through the Source SDK or otherwise.

Oh, and of course people use it to make crazy videos, but I don't know that there is much capability for movie-making built into Garry's mod itself.

I have only played with it briefly so I am not an expert. ;_;

Remy

Garry's goes beyond just a toybox/sandbox. Because it lets people script together new gameplay modes using Lua, there are a lot of servers running built-up custom games. There's a lot of zombie survival things, some competitive buildings games, and some complete curveball things, like Multiplayer YouTube (which I lost about 8 hours of my life to earlier this year).

Definitely worth dropping the $5 and browsing the server list.

Kritz

Banned
Remy said:
Garry's goes beyond just a toybox/sandbox. Because it lets people script together new gameplay modes using Lua, there are a lot of servers running built-up custom games. There's a lot of zombie survival things, some competitive buildings games, and some complete curveball things, like Multiplayer YouTube (which I lost about 8 hours of my life to earlier this year).

Definitely worth dropping the $5 and browsing the server list.

One of my favourites is Trouble in Terrorist Town, where 1-5 people are randomly selected to be traitors and have to kill the remaining terrorists, while the terrorists have to work out who the traitors are and are rewarded for killing the traitors and punished for killing fellow terrorists.

There are also some fun mini-game collections, with stuff like Garry's Ware (Wario Ware but in Garry's Mod), Fort Wars (Build a base out of props and then play CFT), zombie games and some other junk.

Oh, and roleplay servers. They're a little dumb, but it can actually be really fun to get into an RP server and start acting out weird social experiments.

(Sorry that some of the videos suck, hard finding good ones)

Mr_Zombie

So I found some models from REUC and RE5 for Gmod and that made it an instant purchase :lol Hope that I will find some more ;]

Do you need to have a Source game installed in order to run Garry's mod?

deleted

Played a bit of TFU tonight. One game I can cross of my backlog: I will not finish this game with its poor design choices all around. What a waste of talent when they could have made a new Jedi Knight.

First steam deal that wasn´t worth it for me.

Volcynika

zombieshavebrains said:
Still no impressions on Darksiders? On metacritic is has the same score as the 360 but that might not be the whole story.

Most people are posting about it in the Darksiders thread rather than here, if you wanted to check there.

zombieshavebrains said:
Still no impressions on Darksiders? On metacritic is has the same score as the 360 but that might not be the whole story.

I'm really enjoying it, it runs great, and looks pretty good to boot. Definitely the best choice for me, console version I rented didn't run so hot.

By the way, I freaking loved Sinking Island...

I also somewhat enjoyed Nikopol even if just for atmosphere alone.

LocoMrPollock said:
Is Garry's mod just like a toybox mode or is there an objective to complete?
It is largely a toybox. However, people to make mini-game servers that are little FPS games. Of course they generally are not very good.

Schmattakopf said:

Yeah . . . I gave Garry's Mod to a person on the Mac but I forgot about this. But then I realized I had an extra Half-Life 2. So I gave them that. And then Half-Life 2 said it would not run since their GeForce chip in their Mac was not good enough. Garry's Mod would start up but then just crash. :-(

I gave two games but then ended up unable to play either one. :lol

Twig

Banned
It's stupid that Gmod still has that limitation if you have to pay for it. I guess it could be considered an "expansion" but eh. Whatever.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
graywolf323 said:
I just have no confidence in the game given it's pretty much Front Mission in name only
Front Mission 3 fans on the PC should look up a game called "Massive Assault."

FME might be the best PC mech game released in the last decade almost by default. It's at least competent, and the PC port seemed to run pretty well (it was in 3D at E3). Multiplayer wasn't anything special but the singleplayer might be worth a playthrough.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
graywolf323 said:
I just have no confidence in the game given it's pretty much Front Mission in name only
I should make the FME official thread, and then hold deep conversations with myself.

Me: "Hey, do you think this bombed?"
Other Me: "Shit, I hope not!"

Joe Molotov

K.Jack said:
I'm pretty sure I gave Valve the only Front Mission Evolved pre-purchase they can expect.

I want FME, but Civ5 + Dead Rising 2 + Lara Croft say maybe I can wait and see if there's a good Christmas sale on it.

deleted

SapientWolf said:
It's like a cross between Dungeon Keeper and Miner Dig Deep. There's a demo on the game's homepage.

I´m not able to try the demo right now, but is the Hot Seat mode any good? I´m still missing a chilled turn based hot seat game for steam and this could be it. After countless of Hours on Risk Faktions on the 360 its time for something new ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom