• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

YYZ

Is the automatic update of video drivers an optional choice like "Yes, update them now."?

Sometimes I've been recommended to NOT update to the latest drivers because of compatibility for certain games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
YYZ said:
Is the automatic update of video drivers an optional choice like "Yes, update them now."?

Sometimes I've been recommended to NOT update to the latest drivers because of compatibility for certain games.
Yeah it's optional.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Has anyone here used steam through ssh tunneling? My Uni accommodation won't let me download anything through Steam.

Zzoram

Cindres said:
Has anyone here used steam through ssh tunneling? My Uni accommodation won't let me download anything through Steam.

They're mean. I used to go to campus just to get faster Steam downloads and not waste my home data allotment (stupid Rogers).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
xyla said:
I´m not able to try the demo right now, but is the Hot Seat mode any good? I´m still missing a chilled turn based hot seat game for steam and this could be it. After countless of Hours on Risk Faktions on the 360 its time for something new ^^
The demo doesn't support multiplayer, but it seems like it would match that description. The dev team has roots in tabletop and board gaming and it shows.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I got Sacred 2 fixed.

I can see myself sinking a lot of hours into it. But I guess I owe that to the child I had to sacrifice.

I rolled a cyber dog, and he kinda sucks early on.

poweld

Cindres said:
Haven't tried it for Steam downloads, but it should work just fine as long as you have another system outside of the firewall to SSH into. Just forward TCP ports 27014 to 27050, like so:

ssh -L 27014:127.0.0.1:27014 -L 27015:127.0.0.1:27015 <and so on...> sshUser@sshServer

Remember, though, that the SSH server must not have the port restrictions.

Hawk SE

How are you guys organizing your games with Categories?

Currently I'm using:
- Beaten
- Expansions
- Infinite
- Multiplayer
- Unbeaten

I'm thinking of starting a "Not Started" category so the "Unbeaten" looks less daunting of a list.

Rufus

- Favourites
- Done (as in finished or couldn't be bothered any more, or 'got boring' if it's multi-player)
- Garbage

schild

steam_org.png

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
-action
-adventure
-board game
-driving
-flight
-fps
-horror
-mac version (permanently minimized to hide the civ4 games)
-music
-oldies
-open world
-platformer
-puzzle
-rpg
-rts
-strategy
-third person shooter
-twin stick shooter

I got screwed when the beta removed the multiple categories. I should really reorganize with more meaningful categories.

It seems like Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction had a price drop in the last week or two. The regular edition is $39.99, the Deluxe Edition is $44.99, and Elite Echelon Edition is $55.99. I'm tempted to get the Elite Echelon Edtion, but I wouldn't be surprise if an upcoming sale brings it down to $19.99 to $29.99 range.

MNC

John said:
6jhgcg.png

any more categorization than this would drive me nuts. i would never do anything else.
What could possibly be under Garry's Mod besides the game itself?

Edit: Just noticed; the GAMES category are uncategorized games. so don't blame him :p

knipselj5g3.jpg

Ew, thought I'd try the snipping tool for once. Turns out it leaves an ugly border :(

Twig

Banned
John said:
what makes the dlc so much worse than the main game?
Mostly lack of fast travel, but also driving.

E---C---A---B---D

Basically this is the pattern of movement as you play the DLC, as far as I can tell, with a couple of detours. I quit before I had to go to F. And driving is terrible and not fun and also terrible.

Why are you asking if you hate Borderlands? U:

Twig

Banned
John said:
i don't even know what that means
Are you not American? Is the alphabet taught in a different order in other countries and/or languages, even if they use the same alphabet? I thought it was pretty simple but if the answer is yes to both of those questions, well, then, well.

start with a

then go to b

then go to c

then to go d

then go to e

i stopped before f but it was the same pattern

Essentially, you go back and forth and back and forth, only the backs and forths get larger every time.

Fredescu

charlequin said:
Tell us more!
It's does what it says on the tin and is fairly addictive. The subtle strategy changes from map to map based on how close you are to your opponents, how many monsters and resources there are, and number of turns before the end have given each game I've played a different feel. More monsters and it feels like a turn based dungeon crawler where you keep your party close together and move throughout the map. More resources and you can spread your team out a bit and go for the minerals.

You get to choose the composition of your party at the start. There's a miner, who can carry more gear, a fighter who can deal and take more damage but not move as many tiles per turn, and a scout who can move more tiles per turn. I haven't played a heap of games to figure out if there's an optimal load out, but I'd imagine it would change from map to map.

There are all sorts of additions I could think of, the most obvious being online multiplayer, but having played five hours already and wanting to play more I've easily gotten my money's worth already. It's nice to have another good local multiplayer game for PC too. If you regularly play local multiplayer games, it's a no-brainer.

Nabs

crimsonheadGCN said:
Is NBA 2k11 still slated for PC? I wonder if there will be a preorder up on Steam for it.

Yeah, it's coming for PC. It's $10 more than before. No word on any DD release as of yet, but I guess this is normal for 2k.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I just want to make a comment about the steam service:

Over the last couple weeks all the games I've been playing have been via steam's service. I am extremely grateful to steam for one particular feature that has changed my gaming experience for the better:

The Steam browser!!

That's right...Seriously, this is a *FANTASTIC* addition to the service!!!!! I cannot tell you how many times I've been bored in a multiplayer game in between matches, either waiting for the match to load or in a lobby waiting for players to ready up. Now, with the browser I simply press a key start reading my favorite forums or watching vids on youtube. This literally makes waiting for something in a game a non-issue! Try doing *THAT* on a home console, kids!! :D Very very convenient.

Now if only they'd add a bookmark feature I'd be SET!

deleted

Fredescu said:
It's does what it says on the tin and is fairly addictive. The subtle strategy changes from map to map based on how close you are to your opponents, how many monsters and resources there are, and number of turns before the end have given each game I've played a different feel. More monsters and it feels like a turn based dungeon crawler where you keep your party close together and move throughout the map. More resources and you can spread your team out a bit and go for the minerals.

You get to choose the composition of your party at the start. There's a miner, who can carry more gear, a fighter who can deal and take more damage but not move as many tiles per turn, and a scout who can move more tiles per turn. I haven't played a heap of games to figure out if there's an optimal load out, but I'd imagine it would change from map to map.

There are all sorts of additions I could think of, the most obvious being online multiplayer, but having played five hours already and wanting to play more I've easily gotten my money's worth already. It's nice to have another good local multiplayer game for PC too. If you regularly play local multiplayer games, it's a no-brainer.

I bought it yesterday in a "heck why not" mood and I can second this. It is a really great game with a few flaws, but it should be perfect for hot seat multiplayer.
Few things that should be patched:
  • If you are playing in 1080p you´ll have to play in window mode, because the game has no resolution option. Have to try out if 720p switches to fullscreen.
  • The 360 Controller implementation works but could be better: A few times in the tutorial the game lost track of the controller as an input divise. A click with the mouse and it worked again. And the Analog stick input is way to sensible.
Other than that it seems to be great. Perfect combination of luck and strategy.

Fewr

isamu said:
I just want to make a comment about the steam service:

Over the last couple weeks all the games I've been playing have been via steam's service. I am extremely grateful to steam for one particular feature that has changed my gaming experience for the better:

The Steam browser!!

That's right...Seriously, this is a *FANTASTIC* addition to the service!!!!! I cannot tell you how many times I've been bored in a multiplayer game in between matches, either waiting for the match to load or in a lobby waiting for players to ready up. Now, with the browser I simply press a key start reading my favorite forums or watching vids on youtube. This literally makes waiting for something in a game a non-issue! Try doing *THAT* on a home console, kids!! :D Very very convenient.

Now if only they'd add a bookmark feature I'd be SET!
Hmm.. a netbook or a phone could be used for that in console gaming.

G_Berry

Banned
Wow, just noticed Bad Company 2 is only 29.99 USD on the US store while on the Aussie store, its 69.99 USD.

Currently....

1.00 AUD = 0.960710 USD

Way to fuck us in the ass, cunts!

owlbeak

Anyone tried out that Delve Deeper game? It looks pretty interesting, especially at $4.49USD. Like Minecraft: The Board Game!

Horsebite said:
Anyone tried out that Delve Deeper game? It looks pretty interesting, especially at $4.49USD. Like Minecraft: The Board Game!

I read that you can't save in it? Anyone know if this is true?

Seems like a cool game but if you can't save what is the point

Posted it in the wrong thread. Reminder:

crimsonheadGCN said:
Notice about September 27, 2010:

MikeBlaszczak said:
Our physical server move is complete, and we've lit up the new servers we've added to the Steam back-end. The last step is to do some migration that, unfortunately, can't be done without downtime.

To perform this work, we'll be taking Steam down for four hours on Monday, September 27, 2010, starting at 2000 (PDT, which is GMT-7). The Steam Store, Steam Community, matchmaking, and leader boards will be down for the duration of this event. The forums will be up.

Sorry for the inconvenience -- we know that the extended duration of the downtime is problematic for our users, but occasional downtime for maintenance is unavoidable.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17046489&postcount=244

G_Berry said:
Wow, just noticed Bad Company 2 is only 29.99 USD on the US store while on the Aussie store, its 69.99 USD.

Currently....

1.00 AUD = 0.960710 USD

Way to fuck us in the ass, cunts!

Perhaps try posting in the steam gift thread, someone might be able to sort something out for you. I'm certainly hoping that to be the case whenever this apparent Ultimate Edition of Dragon Age comes out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anyone in here buy Chime yet? It's only $5 and I'm thinking about it. Yet I heard there were some technical issues at launch?

Spwn

Brettison said:
Anyone in here buy Chime yet? It's only $5 and I'm thinking about it. Yet I heard there were some technical issues at launch?

I bought it at launch and enjoyed it quite a lot. Very addictive. If you like Lumines, you'll like Chime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom