• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lasthope106 said:
The 3 million mark was already achieved in the previous holiday sale. I'm predicting we'll see about 4 million on this year's sale.

I love how I spend more on Steam "sales" than at any other point during the year. I still haven't even opened several of the games I got last December.

Zzoram

Civ V and Modern Warfare 2 as Steamworks titles mustve added so many new active Stram users. Civ V turned out to be bigger than expected. I think it's user numbers are higher than Left 4 Dead 1&2 at their peaks.

Nabs said:
change servers?

I've tried a few different ones...

Joe Molotov said:
So is anyone playing Rig 'n' Roll? You probably should be. How can you not play a game with a tagline this awesome?

Also, the main character looks like a cross between Gabriel Knight and Patrick Swayze.

Seriously though, how is this game? HAHA

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
DMPrince said:
Gothic 4 demo is up.
Dled it and gave it a try

Argh...I have to set graphics to low to get any sort of decent fps, BUT I liked what I played and it may have swayed me into getting it. Was hesitant because, despite what GAF says, Gothic 2 and 3 sucked. Bought both on sale, couldn't get into them. Loved parts of Risen though...again graphics were shit since I had to turn down detail to get it playable...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro Madoushi said:
Dled it and gave it a try

Argh...I have to set graphics to low to get any sort of decent fps, BUT I liked what I played and it may have swayed me into getting it. Was hesitant because, despite what GAF says, Gothic 2 and 3 sucked. Bought both on sale, couldn't get into them. Loved parts of Risen though...again graphics were shit since I had to turn down detail to get it playable...

GAF isn't a single entity, but you are a member of it also. Many people like the games, but, many people, such as you, also do not like the games. It's called opinions!

Joe Molotov

Turns out I'm smarter than Everyday Genius: Square Logic. On Ocean Floor #9, it thinks that 3 + 1 = an odd number. When I put in 3 + 2, it said it was wrong, and but when I put in 3 & 1, it took it. No wonder this game is 2.50. Good luck getting that 100 Puzzles in a Row Without a Mistake achievement.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah said:
GAF isn't a single entity, but you are a member of it also. Many people like the games, but, many people, such as you, also do not like the games. It's called opinions!

Do we have to start qualifying everything we say around here?

Many 'members' of GAF loved/recommended Gothic 2 and a modded Gothic 3. Both have not aged well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro Madoushi said:

Many 'members' of GAF loved/recommended Gothic 2 and a modded Gothic 3. Both have not aged well.

How about, "Despite being highly recommended by many members of GAF, I couldn't get into Gothic 2 and 3."?

Joe Molotov

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Seriously though, how is this game? HAHA

I dunno, but I'll probably buy it. I hope it turns out like Railworks, and they release a new truck or route every Friday and everybody like "Fuck, another Rig 'n' Roll DLC!" and I'll be like "Alright, I can't wait to get home and drive the Peterbilt 739!"
hyper.gif

Fredescu

Try "Despite being highly recommended by about six members of GAF, I couldn't get into Gothic 2 and 3."

Unless there's a Gothic lovefest megathread I'm missing somewhere. Even the Risen thread only made 800 posts.

Joe Molotov

Joe Molotov said:
Turns out I'm smarter than Everyday Genius: Square Logic. On Ocean Floor #9, it thinks that 3 + 1 = an odd number. When I put in 3 + 2, it said it was wrong, and but when I put in 3 & 1, it took it. No wonder this game is 2.50. Good luck getting that 100 Puzzles in a Row Without a Mistake achievement.

Nevermind, I'm retarded. All the numbers in that cage have to be odd numbers, not add up to an odd number. herp derp

Ledsen

Kuro Madoushi said:

They are right though, the "GAF hivemind" thing is getting really old.

Mango Positive said:
I love how I spend more on Steam "sales" than at any other point during the year. I still haven't even opened several of the games I got last December.

Me either. i just convulsy buy game for the future, for the collection, but my PC died two years ago... I never played these game :lol

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Beat Batman: Arkham Asylum last night. Excellent game with a 360 controller if anyone is looking for a dark action game to play with a 360 controller. Kinda short though. Steam says i played it a total of 11 hours on normal.

Darklord

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Beat Batman: Arkham Asylum last night. Excellent game with a 360 controller if anyone is looking for a dark action game to play with a 360 controller. Kinda short though. Steam says i played it a total of 11 hours on normal.

Took me a bit longer than 11 hours but that's still a decent length for a game like that. A lot are 7-8 hours. The challenge stuff adds a few more hours too(for me it did anyway). I'm at 17 hours on steam.

Joe Molotov

zombieshavebrains said:

Did you do all the side missions? It took me about 20 hours to do everything, and the extra stuff is pretty fun.

panda21

so apparently you can add dead rising 2 to the list of games that dont support the wireless 360 controller for windows. yay! go QA!

although of course it still says controller enabled on steam :|

SmokyDave

panda21 said:
so apparently you can add dead rising 2 to the list of games that dont support the wireless 360 controller for windows. yay! go QA!

Are there support differences between the wireless and wired 360 pads?

I have a wireless pad and I've not had any problems with it, even in some games without the 'controller enabled' logo. I'm using the official Live drivers, how about you?

I'm wavering on Dead Rising 2 anyway (didn't really enjoy DR1) but this would kill it entirely.

panda21 said:

What!??!!! I can understand this for FPS (like Bioshock 2) but not for an action game like DR2. I was planning to use my Xbox360 controller with the game, I do not have another option. Now I will hold my purchase until this get fixed!

Edited: isn´t mandatory for Game for Windows to support the Xbox360 controller if the game supports a joystick as a control device?

panda21

SmokyDave said:
Are there support differences between the wireless and wired 360 pads?

I have a wireless pad and I've not had any problems with it, even in some games without the 'controller enabled' logo. I'm using the official Live drivers, how about you?

I'm wavering on Dead Rising 2 anyway (didn't really enjoy DR1) but this would kill it entirely.

i think it just shows up as a device with a different name and maybe id ('360 controller wireless' or something) and some games only check for the wired one, and treat the wireless one as a generic joystick or something.

its not because of the drivers, just lazy devs. i think both dice and ubisoft have done it for several games in a row and never fixed it for the latter ones despite people complaining about it from the start, nevermind patching them.

it really pisses me off considering how much of a shitstorm there would be if someone released a 360 game that didnt work with wireless controllers.

willsmith Will Smith
Apparently, the same problem affected Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction.
7 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

willsmith Will Smith
Said hack is here: http://bit.ly/aJiUfi (I haven't tested it, I just got a wired controller)
7 hours ago

willsmith Will Smith
Sigh. Dead Rising 2 PC doesn't work with the wireless Xbox gamepad, just the wired one. There's a hack if you don't like wires.

panda21

SmokyDave said:
Wow.

It's nice that the enterprising PC community can make up for the shortfalls of some games but even so, wow. No excuses, that is just sloppy.

don't take it as gospell because i'm just going on those tweets from Will Smith, but I have had the issue in splinter cell conviction.

Nabs

Chiaroscuro said:
What!??!!! I can understand this for FPS (like Bioshock 2) but not for an action game like DR2. I was planning to use my Xbox360 controller with the game, I do not have another option. Now I will hold my purchase until this get fixed!

Edited: isn´t mandatory for Game for Windows to support the Xbox360 controller if the game supports a joystick as a control device?

it supports the *edit: wired* 360 pad, there's just something funky with microsofts wireless pad.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
panda21 said:
Microsoft stopped manufacturing the Wireless receivers as a stand-alone product. I don't think they have much faith in it. At this point it's far more wise to get a wired 360 pad as they have zero issues and flawless auto-driver support on Win 7.

panda21

Stallion Free said:
Microsoft stopped manufacturing the Wireless receivers as a stand-alone product. I don't think they have much faith in it. At this point it's far more wise to get a wired 360 pad as they have zero issues and flawless auto-driver support on Win 7.

there are so many games that work perfectly with the wireless pad that i dont believe its a problem on the drivers/MS end. hell the 'hack' is just editing a config file for most of the ubisoft games that would take the devs 5 minutes if they could be bothered to do it.

panda21

Stallion Free said:
Because I have access to soldering tools. Are you fucking serious? I bought a wired pads and never looked back. I also hated having to recharge them.

yeah i'm going wired from now on, the wireless pad is just not worth the hassle, especially since its like twice the price.

Aaron

SmokyDave said:
Wow.

It's nice that the enterprising PC community can make up for the shortfalls of some games but even so, wow. No excuses, that is just sloppy.
I tried out what Will Smith mentioned. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but it works fine. This isn't an emulator. It's just the game is missing key files.

Though what's completely FUCKED is the wireless controller works perfectly fine for accessing GFWL in game. You just can't play the game with them without the above trick.

Stallion Free said:
Because I have access to soldering tools. Are you fucking serious? I bought a wired pads and never looked back. I also hated having to recharge them.
Heya Stal! Are you going to be picking up Dead Rising 2 today? I've mostly been playing FFXIV, so I was wondering if I should get it right now, or if it'd be fine to wait a bit, maybe for a sale or something.

Stallion Free said:
Because I have access to soldering tools. Are you fucking serious?
I was just putting it out there since the subject had come up, in case the fact that these receivers can be fixed is useful to someone else, as it was to me. And it really is easy to do; the hardest part is getting the thing open.

I wasn't saying that you should ditch your wired controller, or that there are not reasons to prefer them.

Why I use the wireless receiver? Because I have plenty of 360 controllers around (more than 4) and I do not want to buy a wired one. It is dumb to not support the wireless controller.

Fake edit: I have a 3rd party 360 wired controller (the blue one with turbo functions) will it work?

Fake edit 2: what kind of hack is needed to get the wireless one working? Does it work with Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom