• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Psy-Phi said:
Just once, I'd like to see a company take a game of the caliber these titles sit at, and release it for 1/2 of what the competition is selling it for, just to see how much money it takes in. Maybe for a limited time, launch day, or 1st week introduction sale at first so they can ramp it up if it doesn't sell enough copies to pull in more money than the competition or keep it there if it does.

Because I'm not willing to buy it for $60, or even $50, I have a lot of shooters. But if they sold it for $30 I don't think I'd be able to resist the allure of a new quality shooter at that price. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

That's not a good idea for the producer. Everybody who would have bought it at $60 will now buy it at $40, that's lost revenue right there. Much better to price it higher then when demand falls lower the price to rope in people such as yourself.

hamchan said:
That's not a good idea for the producer. Everybody who would have bought it at $60 will now buy it at $40, that's lost revenue right there. Much better to price it higher then when demand falls lower the price to rope in people such as yourself.
some games are damn cheap in the week of the release here sometimes. Bough Settlers 7 for 35€ on release. The week after it was 49€ again. The collectors edition of Mafia II was 49€ as well instead of 69€. So I think he might be right.

SmokyDave

VibratingDonkey said:
Oh god, I'm really close to buying Rig n Roll. Help.
:lol Me too.

What's worse is I already own 18 Wheels Of Steel: American somethingsomething and I want to pick up European Truck Driver Simulator. There's just something about simulating mundane shit that appeals to me.

hamchan

Caesar III said:
some games are damn cheap in the week of the release here sometimes. Bough Settlers 7 for 35€ on release. The week after it was 49€ again. The collectors edition of Mafia II was 49€ as well instead of 69€. So I think he might be right.

Depends on franchise I guess. For a franchise like CoD, I think someone would have to be mad to sell it at a reduced price at launch.

hamchan said:
Depends on franchise I guess. For a franchise like CoD, I think someone would have to be mad to sell it at a reduced price at launch.
Modern Warfare 2 was under 40€ last year in the first week(s) nearly everywhere in Europe and especially in UK

Nabs

The M.O.B said:
Has anybody heard if NBA2k11 will be up on Steam?? It comes out next week for $29.99, but I have heard nothing of a steam version yet.
i haven't heard a single thing about DD at all. i'll post about it if i do find something.

Fredescu

Caesar III said:
Modern Warfare 2 was under 40€ last year in the first week(s) nearly everywhere in Europe and especially in UK
Retailers shrinking their margins to compete on a high volume item. Happens here a lot too, the biggest games are the cheapest for the first week or two. If they made the RRP 40 Euro, those same retailers would be selling it for 30. Ham is right, it would be silly to drop the RRP.

Maybe it's just me, but they're individual price math should be corrected to make this appear to be a better deal:
S7yzX.jpg

John

mikespit1200 said:
Ah, sweet. Does the complete pack give you all the game boards as well?
I don't really know, but I think the boards are all unlockable in-game. Same with all the DLC really

graywolf323

oddly it's cheaper to buy the base game and it's two expansions and then the Deck Collection pack separately than it is to buy the Complete Pack

John said:
I don't really know, but I think the boards are all unlockable in-game. Same with all the DLC really

what about the things labeled as expansions?

What the hell with all this DLC. It says you can unlock some of them, but it doesn't say that on "Foil Conversions."

Also if you buy the base game and expansions separately, and then buy the deck collection, that's $16.50 as opposed to 17.50 for the complete pack. Edit: Beat

graywolf323 said:
There's only two of those and I know they're legitimate.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
graywolf323 said:
oddly it's cheaper to buy the base game and it's two expansions and then the Deck Collection pack separately than it is to buy the Complete Pack

The expansions are just access to additional decks. You still have to unlock the more powerful cards by winning games. Best deal imo is the base game and 2 expansions.

The expansions for Duels are actually new content.

The foil conversion make your cards shiny. It's cosmetic fluff. The deck unlocks just let you get access to all the cards available for that deck without having to play the game to unlock them.

Man, I wish I could "foil conversion" my actual Legacy deck for fifty cents. :lol

Shambles

Schmattakopf said:
From the TF2 thread:

I'm so excited.

Fucking great. Nothing wrecks a game like two tiers of players. The beginning of the end. Anyways what's to stop modders from creating paid for content anyways?

Edit:
Some items can never be found or crafted, only bought

But these are a small number of cosmetic items. Valve are strict about making sure those that give you “gameplay advantages” are findable for free.

Ok this is what I was most worried about, it doesn't seem as bad as it could be if it's just for looks. However it's still a slippery slope into having paid-only game unbalancing items.

Burekma

And there we have it. The real reason why Steam wallet was invented: microtransactions

Glad I'm immune to them. Sucks for the people that aren't. Let the nickel n' diming begin!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shambles said:
Fucking great. Nothing wrecks a game like two tiers of players. The beginning of the end. Anyways what's to stop modders from creating paid for content anyways?
Try reading the update, then come back here. I mean READ THE WHOLE FAQ.

notworksafe

Shambles said:
Two tiers like the people who randomly got items and those who didn't yet? Game seems to have survived so far...

notworksafe

Shambles said:
Ok this is what I was most worried about, it doesn't seem as bad as it could be if it's just for looks. However it's still a slippery slope into having paid-only game unbalancing items.
Yeah, next thing you know Valve will be charging for games. Talk about creating two tiers of gamers.

Shambles

notworksafe said:
Yeah, next thing you know Valve will be charging for games. Talk about creating two tiers of gamers.

Try to include at least some logic in your emotional outbursts. When I said something that wasn't positive about Valve I didn't realize that it had given birth to you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
notworksafe said:
:lol :lol :lol

That was good. But seriously guys, I want that hat that is only acquired via random drop/money because it's going to give me a huge advantage. Also, does Valve really think they can get away with releasing half a game and then pulling this shit?

Shambles said:
Try to include at least some logic in your emotional outbursts. When I said something that wasn't positive about Valve I didn't realize that it had given birth to you.
You were bitching about an imaginary issue for the sake of bitching.

notworksafe

Shambles said:
I'm summoned more from people whining about updates that they didn't even bother to read. Clearly your keen sense of logic precludes the whole "reading comprehension" thing though. :lol

Shambles

notworksafe said:
I'm summoned more from people whining about updates that they didn't even bother to read. Clearly your keen sense of logic precludes the whole "reading comprehension" thing though. :lol

I'd hate to make you look stupid but if you're going to go after someone for not reading, you should probably not make the same mistake yourself. Go back to my edit that you quoted, actually read what I said, and then read your own reply and I bet you can figure out where you went wrong in the whole 'thinking' thing.

notworksafe

Shambles said:
I'd hate to make you look stupid but if you're going to go after someone for not reading, you should probably not make the same mistake yourself. Go back to my edit that you quoted, actually read what I said, and then read your own reply and I bet you can figure out where you went wrong in the whole 'thinking' thing.
I'd hate to make you look stupid but if you're going to go after someone for mocking you, you should probably not make up hypothetical situations and then complain about them.

EDIT: You should be proud. I'm following your slippery slope "logic" to the obvious conclusion.

kamspy

Fucking TF2 weekend sale. I guess that means no money for Valve this week. In fact, they haven't got me in a while.

How about a good weekend sale Valve? That too much to ask?

And yes, I'm filled to the BRIM with entitlement.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
notworksafe said:
Two tiers like the people who randomly got items and those who didn't yet? Game seems to have survived so far...
What type of people play TF2? I'm confused by the demographic. They seem to be pretty casual, in general, but they are PC gamers too and those two things together confuse me.

notworksafe

BobsRevenge said:
What type of people play TF2? I'm confused by the demographic. They seem to be pretty casual, in general, but they are PC gamers too and those two things together confuse me.
I think it's a mix of all types of gamers. I'm not even a fan of FPS games but I like TF2 and got it with the Orange Box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom