• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought Magic and it already paid for itself because I had the most intense match online.

I was playing with the red deck that's there from the beginning with only Shivan Dragon added versus someone with a green/red deck that seemed way more advanced. He plays a stone that gives +1 life to him whenever a red spell is cast on the second turn. What a start.

Now he was up to 30 life and I was down to 1 pretty quickly. Still, I managed to defend and brought out my Shivan Dragon very late because I didn't draw any lands. But that thing beat him single handedly after that in a few turns.

Seems very simple and no deck customization is disappointing, but yeah, it was worth the 8€ I paid. :)

confused

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Oh I know there are a lot of people playing but at this point I'd have to imagine the competition would be beyond brutal for a newbie.

You will die a lot, but will also have the best time you ever had dying :)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Felix Lighter said:
Oh I know there are a lot of people playing but at this point I'd have to imagine the competition would be beyond brutal for a newbie.
Nope. Just play a heavy for a bit and branch out. You'll do okay.

Twig

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Wouldn't the medic be a better beginner class?
Only if you like being medic.

Play what you want (unless it's spy because you'll get rocked without knowing the maps).

Fredescu

Anyone know why FIFA 11 isn't available on Steam? It's on Gamersgate and Impulse, and Steam has the FIFA Manager games. Just seems weird.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Fredescu said:
Anyone know why FIFA 11 isn't available on Steam? It's on Gamersgate and Impulse, and Steam has the FIFA Manager games. Just seems weird.

The same reason The Sims 3 isn't on Steam? EA is dumb.

Forkball said:
How easy is TF2 to get into? Man I have tests soon, why couldn't Steam have this sale next week?

Very.

Its constantly been made easier to 'get' with various updates too. If you're a bit worried about jumping in with real players, there's developer commentary walkthroughs of some maps that explain design decsiions about the game that apply universally, as well as some ingame training modes and botmatch stuff.

Now theres also an 'item encyclopedia' option that lets you see what exactly all the different equips in the game do and how to get them if they're not random too.

It's definitely not a game you should be worried about learning even though its been out for awhile.

owlbeak

MrNyarlathotep said:
Very.

Its constantly been made easier to 'get' with various updates too. If you're a bit worried about jumping in with real players, there's developer commentary walkthroughs of some maps that explain design decsiions about the game that apply universally, as well as some ingame training modes and botmatch stuff.

Now theres also an 'item encyclopedia' option that lets you see what exactly all the different equips in the game do and how to get them if they're not random too.

It's definitely not a game you should be worried about learning even though its been out for awhile.
Hm...I'd disagree with you.

I played TF2 for a few months post release and got caught up in tons of other games. I loaded it up the other day and have absolutely no idea WTF is going on. It's not like team fortress, it's a totally different game than it was when it was released. There's so much crap going on and I couldn't even begin to make sense of it. Maybe that's just me.

Horsebite said:
Hm...I'd disagree with you.

I played TF2 for a few months post release and got caught up in tons of other games. I loaded it up the other day and have absolutely no idea WTF is going on. It's not like team fortress, it's a totally different game than it was when it was released. There's so much crap going on and I couldn't even begin to make sense of it. Maybe that's just me.

Wasn´t his point that there are much help to get if you find yourself in a situation like yours?

ZoddGutts

Forkball said:
How easy is TF2 to get into? Man I have tests soon, why couldn't Steam have this sale next week?

It's easy. Make sure you play as a medic or Pyro when you first start, those two are the easiest class. As a medic stick with one of the top 5 scoring players and you should as well have high points. I mostly play as medic and I'm often in the top 5 scoring players in the game.

As a pyro press the attack button and run around like a maniac you should be able get a spy or two. :lol

Fredescu

Horsebite said:
I played TF2 for a few months post release and got caught up in tons of other games. I loaded it up the other day and have absolutely no idea WTF is going on. It's not like team fortress, it's a totally different game than it was when it was released.
I was in the same situation as you. Played beta and a month or two after, but left it and didn't play again until a month or so ago. The best thing to do is ignore all the extra shit going on and just play it for a while. You'll find it's pretty much the same core game. You don't have to figure out all the item shit straight away.

IrishNinja

TF2 is tempting, kinda wanna see if Orange Box goes on sale around the holidays. still holding out for L4D 1 & 2 sale either around the upcoming DLC or halloween.

GAF, don't hate me, but - i bought Half Life 1, and someone told me Source not only looks better, but plays with a controller...is that true? using one in the vanilla version seems to just replace the mouse, and pad + keyboard = kind've horrible.

Xapati

So I've been playing the 2. expansion to Magic, holy crap heat of battle is powerful. Most decks out there have nothing to stand against the onslaught of burn spells. Black maybe the only deck with a chance if it manages to get several discard spells early.

It's amazing how unbalanced the decks are, decks like mind of void, claws, heart of worlds, hands of flame are almost unplayable. If they aren't going to give us more influence over which cards go in the deck (even giving us the ability to take any card out of the deck would greatly help) you'd think they would at least try to rebalance the decks.

stuminus3

TF2 is really easy to jump into if you're playing on pubs. If you've ever played a FPS before and you've got even a modicum of common sense you'll be having a blast in no time.

I still really suck at it and it still feels great.

speculawyer said:
TF2 is not CS.
This. TF2 is like the polar opposite of CS for those just wanting to jump in and have fun.

graywolf323

crimsonheadGCN said:
Yes, it is.

sent you an invite :)

edit: my steam profile games count seems to be getting more and more inaccurate with each passing day :lol it's off by about 100 games now compared to what my Steam library says

Technosteve said:
nob and twig are assholes, they play as spys =(
who cares. nob's voice makes up for everything. i could sit there and listen to him talk all night long. :lol and I haven't been around him playing as a spy yet. just heavy. ;o should I be scared?

deleted

How come I post in this forum for more than a year almost a year and did never play TF2 on a GAF server? Very strange I'd say, I have to change that.

Oh and I gave to my darker side and bought Magic with both expansion packs. I can see myself building decks for hours in the future.
Its very strange though that you can't turn voice chat off during online matches and the lag is like 7-8 seconds... Can't make conversation like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom