• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
GAF I know this question has been asked a million times but I can't seem to find a definitive answer online. I just bought a new Gaming PC and want to transfer my games/saves to it from my old Laptop.

Wat do?

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Oh good I was worried.
I think this is where I show my gang sign.
xyla said:
How come I post in this forum for more than a year almost a year and did never play TF2 on a GAF server? Very strange I'd say, I have to change that.
Well, we haven't had a GAF server the whole time. We had one in the very beginning, there was some drama, dude stole money, and no one was able to get a server back up and populated (though some tried!) until Java was just like "fuck it, I'm gonna pay for this bitch" and then now we have one.

Also the main thread is in the online forum, which means that even though we all constantly post in it, no one in the main forum ever sees it. ):

epmode

Ermac said:
GAF I know this question has been asked a million times but I can't seem to find a definitive answer online. I just bought a new Gaming PC and want to transfer my games/saves to it from my old Laptop.

Wat do?
Your best bet is to make a full backup of the old computer, just in case.

If you're not interested, it'll be on a game-by-game basis. Older games tend to keep save files in the game folder itself, newer stuff tends to put everything near My Documents (which is in a different place depending on your version of Windows. There's no standardization and it's kind of horrible.

The WORST offender is Games for Windows Live. Not only will you need the savegame from the MyDocs path but you'll also need some important profile information from the GFWL section.

If you can't make a full backup, at least copy the entire Documents and Settings folder (or the Users folder in newer versions of Windows).

IceMarker

I find it funny that I haven't played TF2 since Starcraft II came out and I jump in to play for a couple hours after the update and I still murder everyone on a server I always go to with a 2:1 or 3:1 KDR. :lol

deleted

Twig said:
Well, we haven't had a GAF server the whole time. We had one in the very beginning, there was some drama, dude stole money, and no one was able to get a server back up and populated (though some tried!) until Java was just like "fuck it, I'm gonna pay for this bitch" and then now we have one.

Also the main thread is in the online forum, which means that even though we all constantly post in it, no one in the main forum ever sees it. ):

I don't even look into the Off-Topic side very often because I have the Gaming side as a direct bookmark. As I see I missed out on quite a few GAF matches, be it SCII/L4D or TF2.
Next TF2 game I play will be on the GAF server :D

Also: Who the hell runs away with money from a gaming server? Sounds like one of the blackest sheep on gaf.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
IrishNinja said:
TF2 is tempting, kinda wanna see if Orange Box goes on sale around the holidays. still holding out for L4D 1 & 2 sale either around the upcoming DLC or halloween.

GAF, don't hate me, but - i bought Half Life 1, and someone told me Source not only looks better, but plays with a controller...is that true? using one in the vanilla version seems to just replace the mouse, and pad + keyboard = kind've horrible.

Last hallow's eve tf2 was on sale for 2.50. There might be a l4d sale when the sacrifice comes out. I can't remember if they did that with the passing.

There is controller support for HL2. It works really well, i don't think it shows the buttons or anything but i played through up to the boat level with the controller.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
xyla said:
I don't even look into the Off-Topic side very often because I have the Gaming side as a direct bookmark. As I see I missed out on quite a few GAF matches, be it SCII/L4D or TF2.
Next TF2 game I play will be on the GAF server :D

Also: Who the hell runs away with money from a gaming server? Sounds like one of the blackest sheep on gaf.

If i remember you correctly you're in Germany right? People usually start showing up on the server around 9-11 p.m. EST. Don't know if you're up that late.

Waku

We are starting to get close to THE SEASON again. Who else here still hasn't even touched half his Backlog from the last Holiday Sales? :lol Still haven't touched Stalker and Clear Sky and am just getting around to installing GTA 4.

deleted

zombieshavebrains said:
If i remember you correctly you're in Germany right? People usually start showing up on the server around 9-11 p.m. EST. Don't know if you're up that late.

Jup, Germany it is.
Ok, that would mean 3 o'clock at night and later :(. Maybe it will take a while until I can play with you guys. I hoped European gaf would populate the server while the rest of the world is asleep.

Slavik81

Basileus777 said:
Steam hasn't had a good sale in months. TF2? Who doesn't own it already, at a better price than $10?
There was the Star Wars sale just last week. It was a good one, and was the first thing I bought since the summer sale. Besides, that summer sale was so amazing it could last me until Christmas.

Basileus777 said:
Steam hasn't had a good sale in months. TF2? Who doesn't own it already, at a better price than $10?
There's a good sale almost every week. All of MtG is 50% off right now, all of Serious Sam was 75% off a week ago.

Blizzard

Banned
I can't see a better place to ask it, and the internet is weirdly devoid of information, so...has anyone here played DEFCON? And if so, do you know any earthly way to force vsync, especially with an ATI card? I get 160-500+ FPS in the game and it makes my video card crank up. I don't really have a need for that to happen, so less noise etc. would be nice. I have tried using CCC, ATI tray tools, D3DOverrider, ingame settings, and some __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK option mentioned in one place on the forums, but either I did it wrong, or nothing has any effect at all.

I'm running with an ATI 5850, and I don't think I've ever seen a game resist vsync like this. :/

confused

Banned
Wanted to buy TF2 as a gift for my brother friday but something went wrong during payment. Payment was made with IDeal, money was deducted from my bankaccount. Gift item is not showing up.

I made a support ticket and got this as answer :

3 « Message by Nate on Sat, 2nd Oct 2010 8:55 am »
Hello Neil,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide the best support information for your iDEAL account.

Please see iDEAL's documentation for more information on working with the iDEAL system:

iDEAL Help Center
http://www.ideal.nl/consument/?s=extra&a=faq

Please let us know if you have any further questions

Dear GAF, what the fuck do I do now ?

confused said:

DO:
  • Get in touch with iDeal, find out why payment was declined.
  • If the sale is over when it gets resolved, contact Steam and while calmly explaining the situation ask if it would be possible to make the transaction again at the sale price

DON'T:
  • Do a chargeback, or allow iDeal to do a chargeback on your behalf

confused

Banned
MrNyarlathotep said:
DO:
  • Get in touch with iDeal, find out why payment was declined.
  • If the sale is over when it gets resolved, contact Steam and while calmly explaining the situation ask if it would be possible to make the transaction again at the sale price

DON'T:
  • Do a chargeback, or allow iDeal to do a chargeback on your behalf

Payment wasn't declined though. Payment was made, the order just didn't go through.

zugzug

Schmattakopf said:
All Total War DLC 50% off.

Listen I'm interested in all but man I cannot give them anymore money for the fuck up from Empire day one purchase I made special edition. Glad I avoided Napoleon.

Sure Shogun II might get me to buy but man I still want my refund from Empire Total war.

Basileus777 said:
WTF? Really . . . have you looked at the list? Right now there is TF2, Garrys Mod, a gazillion Magic stuff, some puzzle game Rig n Roll, a bunch of Total War things . . . that is plenty.

There is more on sale right now than on a typical weekend.

MightyKAC

speculawyer said:
WTF? Really . . . have you looked at the list? Right now there is TF2, Garrys Mod, a gazillion Magic stuff, some puzzle game Rig n Roll, a bunch of Total War things . . . that is plenty.

There is more on sale right now than on a typical weekend.

So yeah, how are the magic games on steam BTW? Was thinking about jumping in but I'm worried about the quality of the Single player aspect of the game. If it's solid I might pick this up as a time killer app on my notebook.

RiverBed

Banned
This may be a silly question, but how do I pay for Steam games? Can I simply use my PayPal account or do I have to register my credit card?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
RiverBed said:
This may be a silly question, but how do I pay for Steam games? Can I simply use my PayPal account or do I have to register my credit card?
You can use PayPal in most countries.

deleted

MightyKAC said:
So yeah, how are the magic games on steam BTW? Was thinking about jumping in but I'm worried about the quality of the Single player aspect of the game. If it's solid I might pick this up as a time killer app on my notebook.

Its quite good as a time killer. You have to play the campaign to get new decks and you also get one card from your sideboard for every win with a deck.
There are Challanges you can beat and an AI Co-Op mode you can also play alone.
The only thing missing is a fletched out deck editor. You can modify your decks, but you cannot build completely new ones.

xyla said:
Oh and I gave to my darker side and bought Magic with both expansion packs. I can see myself building decks for hours in the future.
Its very strange though that you can't turn voice chat off during online matches and the lag is like 7-8 seconds... Can't make conversation like that.

Unfortunately, you can't really build decks. Deck editing consists of adding or removing cards that you unlock, but all cards that start in a deck are in it permanently and you only unlock one card per game won so for each deck it takes 20 matches won to access all of the extra cards (23 with the 2nd expansion).

confused said:
Wanted to buy TF2 as a gift for my brother friday but something went wrong during payment. Payment was made with IDeal, money was deducted from my bankaccount. Gift item is not showing up.

I made a support ticket and got this as answer :

3 « Message by Nate on Sat, 2nd Oct 2010 8:55 am »
Hello Neil,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide the best support information for your iDEAL account.

Please see iDEAL's documentation for more information on working with the iDEAL system:

iDEAL Help Center
http://www.ideal.nl/consument/?s=extra&a=faq

Please let us know if you have any further questions

From the FAQ

De webwinkelier meldt dat hij mijn betaling niet heeft ontvangen. Wat moet ik doen?
Als uit uw rekeningoverzicht blijkt dat u wel heeft betaald, moet de webwinkelier contact opnemen met zijn bank. Vermeld daarbij het 16-cijferig nummer uit uw rekeningoverzicht en de datum/tijdstip waarop u heeft betaald. Deze informatie vindt u gecombineerd terug in het omschrijvingveld van de desbetreffende betaling.

Mocht het u niet lukken om dit zelf op te lossen met de webwinkelier, dan kunt u via onderstaande link het klachtformulier van Thuiswinkel.org invullen. Thuiswinkel.org is de branchevereniging voor bedrijven die zich bezighouden met het verkopen op afstand aan consumenten van producten en/of diensten.

Klachtenformulier thuiswinkel.org

Door het invullen van dit klachtformulier, wordt uw klacht doorgeleid naar de desbetreffende winkelier met het verzoek de klacht op een goede wijze op te lossen.

Ik heb een foutmelding ontvangen tijdens mijn iDEAL betaling. Echter, het te betalen bedrag is van mijn rekening geboekt en de webwinkelier heeft het geld niet ontvangen. Wat moet ik doen?
Neem contact op met uw bank. Uw bank kan u verder helpen en uitzoeken waar de fout(melding) is ontstaan, bij de webwinkelier of bij de schakel tussen uw bank en de bank van de webwinkelier (of de bank van de Collecterende Payment Service Provider (CPSP) – dit is wanneer een webwinkel het innen van betalingen heeft uitbesteed aan een derde partij).

RickA238

I have a question: If I buy Team Fortress 2 and I have no other Source-based games, can I play all Sourcemod (Dystopia, Neotokyo, Zombiepanic: Source) games? Do I still need HL2/HL2:ep2 in order to play all sourcemods?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
RickA238 said:
I have a question: If I buy Team Fortress 2 and I have no other Source-based games, can I play all Sourcemod (Dystopia, Neotokyo, Zombiepanic: Source) games? Do I still need HL2/HL2:ep2 in order to play all sourcemods?

They're all HL2 mods so you need HL2 to play them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RickA238 said:
Under library, check Tools and if you see Source SDK Base 2006 and 2007 you should be able to play pretty much all of them.

IrishNinja

hey, my dumb question never got answered: can half life source be played with a controller? i bought the vanilla one, and its a no-go.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
IrishNinja said:
hey, my dumb question never got answered: can half life source be played with a controller? i bought the vanilla one, and its a no-go.
Nah, it didn't support the 360 pad even when I told it to use "joystick." I guess use Xpadder for Half-Life (not Source). Not really a game I'd recommend for a pad though. It's a game from the time when health was not regenerated and the player decided when he would save rather than checkpoints so you will prolly get fucked.

vazel

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Nah, it didn't support the 360 pad even when I told it to use "joystick." I guess use Xpadder for Half-Life (not Source). Not really a game I'd recommend for a pad though. It's a game from the time when health was not regenerated and the player decided when he would save rather than checkpoints so you will prolly get fucked.
Plus the speed of FPS games was faster back then. I wouldn't play it with a gamepad at all.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Under library, check Tools and if you see Source SDK Base 2006 and 2007 you should be able to play pretty much all of them.
Unless they use a specific game's assets, in which case I believe you need that specific game.

For example, just because you have HL2 and Gmod doesn't mean you can use CS:S's models and guns in Gmod. (Although Gmod is a bit of a special case, the odd duck.)

New Release - Aura: Fate of the Ages
Product Release - Valve 09:50
Aura: Fate of the Ages is now available on Steam. Receive a 10% discount if you purchase this classic adventure title before October 11th.

Lose yourself in this fantastic and rich adventure, uncover the smallest details, collect information, solve the enigmas and unravel the saga of intrigue, exploration and treachery that is Aura: Fate of the Ages.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/4425/

Boonoo

Twig said:

It's kind of sad, especially since the similar L4D threads get to be in the gaming section D:

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boonoo said:
It's kind of sad, especially since the similar L4D threads get to be in the gaming section D:
Yeah, I didn't encounter the TF2 thread until someone in our L4D group linked me to it because I had never bothered to go into the Online section.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, I didn't encounter the TF2 thread until someone in our L4D group linked me to it because I had never bothered to go into the Online section.

I didn't encounter it until someone told me a bunch of people whom I have never ever played with were talking shit on me for some reason :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
I didn't encounter it until someone told me a bunch of people whom I have never ever played with were talking shit on me for some reason :lol
Well everyone talks shit on you for some reason. Fact of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom