• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I really wish Valve would take a stand and force publishers to remove their own stupid DRM when selling games on Steam. Having two layers of DRM (especially something as malevolent as UBI's trash) is overkill in my opinion.

Proxies work for Green Man Gaming. If you have any titles to trade in from when they did the 1 penny deals then use it. I'm actually glad now that I got Necrovision during that sale because it is trading in for 6 euro.

Fuck, I bought Shank too.

Thinking on the positive side of things, the fine print for ea games on steam is always a copy-paste from the retail box (or i guess in this case from EA's own store?) EA hasn't included DRM in steam releases for a long time now, but the fine print for EA's games on steam always claims that there is a form of DRM, despite it not being there.

Hope that's the case with this.

Archie said:
I really wish Valve would take a stand and force publishers to remove their own stupid DRM when selling games on Steam. Having two layers of DRM (especially something as malevolent as UBI's trash) is overkill in my opinion.

This is why I kinda hope steam becomes a huge unstoppable force that they would be able to say "no" to publishers, and the publisher would have no chance but to comply. Of course this sounds like a terrible thing, but it would allow then to say no to extra DRM, killing the cancer once and for all.

graywolf323

crimsonheadGCN said:
Proxies work for Green Man Gaming. If you have any titles to trade in from when they did the 1 penny deals then use it. I'm actually glad now that I got Necrovision during that sale because it is trading in for 6 euro.

well I ended up finding a Euro proxy but the price now shows as 24.99 Euros

speculawyer said:
Yeah, this got me too. And I guess I could create another account. Hmm. Might do that.

Yeah, but Im pretty sure the account that buys a 4 pack has to keep one of the games, so you would basicaly end up wasting one copy of the game. Might as well just buy 3 seperate copies, and gift them individualy.

:(

Valve is offering a distribution service. It is not their place to tell publishers on what terms they sell their games.

I don't think Valve will ever be saying "don't put DRM on our store". I believe it is Valve who bowed to publisher pressure regarding localised pricing. And allowing publishers like Ubisoft charge more in certain regions and to not sell games in particular regions.

Valve can only publish statistics that might or might not show games with extra intrusive DRM performi poorly. But I don't think people give a fuck enough to make these statistics even remotely true. I know there's half a dozen games I'd buy if the Securom/equivalent DRM were removed but I really don't think many people care when there is a game they really want to check out. Just look at how many people go into threads and go "STEAMWORKS? Steam version please omg let me play this on Steam I won't buy it otherwise" if there's a little bit of DRM on top of that they'd still buy it because they have all their eggs in one basket and have given up on boxed games and patching.

One thing I would like to see Valve mandate is day and date patches for retail and Steam versions. Instead of making part of the userbase wait.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Volcynika said:
Weekend deal is Killing Floor and all associated DLC for 50% off.
Wallet saved. (I already have Killing Floor) That said with L4D having the midweek fun, is this officially zombie apocalypse week or something?

Note to Valve: Halloween is in 3 weeks.

Bunny

randomwab said:
People who haven't bought this already should do so. Great game. Liked it much more than either Left4Dead.

seriously. killing floor is awesome, buy it people!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Bunny said:
seriously. killing floor is awesome, buy it people!

Yep Killing Floor is pure awesome, bought it at full price after they did one of their free weekends and i'm glad i did, if i had a decent PC and a stable internet connection i would be playing it right now.

Nabs

there seems to be a pretty decent sized killing floor update as well

four new maps, a new weapon and a "the ball" preorder character.

Zachack

Stop It said:
Wallet saved. (I already have Killing Floor) That said with L4D having the midweek fun, is this officially zombie apocalypse week or something?

Note to Valve: Halloween is in 3 weeks.
That's three weeks to have a sale on Penumbra and Amnesia.

Valve has once again rescheduled the four hour downtime. Now it is happening between 4AM to 8AM on October 11, 2010:

MikeBlaszczak said:
We've again re-scheduled the previously postponed extended downtime!

Our target time is now 0400 to 0800 PDT (GMT-7 at the moment) on Monday, October 11, 2010.

The Steam Store, Steam Community, matchmaking, and leader boards will be down for the duration of this event. The forums will be up.

Sorry for the inconvenience -- we know that the extended duration of the downtime is problematic for our users, but occasional downtime for maintenance is unavoidable.

I'm guessing the change has to do with Civ V. Unlike the other titles on Steam, it seems peak concurrent userbase is the evening hours of North America.

Psy-Phi

crimsonheadGCN said:
Both Deathspank and Shank are heading to Steam this month.
Nice, I wish they'd release Thongs of Vrtue along with Deathspank...glad I held off on the console versions (i always hope games will come to PC).

ZoddGutts

Love the shooting mechanics in Killing Floor, so satisfying. There's actual weight and force (recoil) in them. The game is highly recommended.

Omikron

I swear Australian prices continue to rise on steam.... apparently MOW2 is 90USD full price now and ~$60 on sale...

Could have sworn it was $80 tops when it first came out.

Recon

Banned
Thank God i bought Killing Floor during that summer sale. Steam/Valve has been taking way too much of my limited income. :lol

Joe Molotov

Played a little bit of Axel & Pixel, it was easy but cute and the background art is great. Well worth $5. More good XBLA games need to make their way onto Steam, the sooner the better (still waiting on Limbo).

Omi said:
I swear Australian prices continue to rise on steam.... apparently MOW2 is 90USD full price now and ~$60 on sale...

It was always $89.99. It still holds the title of most outrageous price hike although I can see them getting even higher with the currency almost reaching parity.

$120 here we come.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
crimsonheadGCN said:
Modern Warfare 2 is $40.00 for the weekend.

I was like, "Oh, that's a decent deal with all the DLC included."

Then I saw that it wasn't!:lol Now the DLC is TEN maps for $15. Gosh, what a steal...

legend166

toasty_T said:
It was always $89.99. It still holds the title of most outrageous price hike although I can see them getting even higher with the currency almost reaching parity.

$120 here we come.

It's a farce.

The day Valve disallow gifting across countries, is the day I will stop buying games from Steam.

I'm actually expecting it to happen soon. Activision and 2K will throw a hissy fit. I'm hoping Valve won't cave, but it wouldn't surprise me.

trinest

Omi said:

and yet our dollar is pretty much equal.

Omikron

toasty_T said:

$120 here we come.

Really... I could have sworn it was around $80 during the pre-order period. Ah well.

Perhaps I am just getting confused with the recent hike of Fallout: New Vegas... or the Borderlands one.... or....yeah.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
crimsonheadGCN said:
Modern Warfare 2 is $40.00 for the weekend.
You realize that what they're doing is trying to deflect attention from Medal of Honor, right?

As soon as the Beta came out, they dropped the price of the DLC. Now they've dropped the price of the game JUUUUUST enough that buying MW2 + the DLC packs is less than buying Medal of Honor.

I don't know WHY they care that Medal of Honor is coming out - MW2 has been out for months and Black Ops is coming soon, but the timing of these dumb sales is fairly obvious.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Htown said:
I don't know WHY they care that Medal of Honor is coming out - MW2 has been out for months and Black Ops is coming soon, but the timing of these dumb sales is fairly obvious.
They care because they can still steal sales from it? How is that not obvious to you? They are trying to make money.

Visualante said:
Valve is offering a distribution service. It is not their place to tell publishers on what terms they sell their games.

Sure it is. They dictate pricing, after all.

I think it's more accurate to say that many of the publishers Valve works with would be unwilling to budge on DRM and Valve believes they get more money and less complaints selling double-DRMed software than they would by not having the 2K, Ubi, etc. games at all.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I never said it wasn't good. It's just that it got tiresome after about two nights of playing the game with my L4D group. Our flavors of the week usually last the whole week.

Stallion Free said:
I never said it wasn't good. It's just that it got tiresome after about two nights of playing the game with my L4D group. Our flavors of the week usually last the whole week.
I guess its all going to depend on how the community is, and from what I hear they aint very nice to newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom