• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Anyone get weirdness with the recently played games list you get when you right click on the tray icon? Pretty often mine will go back to some random time in the past, but this time it listed Deathspank Pre-order at the top of the list. I had just bought it, but I didn't try launching it or anything. Weird.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ohhthegore said:
I guess its all going to depend on how the community is, and from what I hear they aint very nice to newcomers
I was playing with a group of buddies I absolutely love to game with. We had a blast the first two nights, but it just wears itself thin quick.

ZoddGutts

ohhthegore said:
I guess its all going to depend on how the community is, and from what I hear they aint very nice to newcomers

They'll only get mad at you if your stupidly getting constantly your self killed. Just make sure you play normal for now. I wouldn't recommend playing hard until your at least level 2 perk otherwise you'll be holding your team back, for Suicidal be at least level 4 perk. Also head shots otherwise you'll run out of ammo fast. Also some maps are harder than other's in the way there designed. West London map is a pretty good map to start playing and leveling up your perks.

I was playing with a group of buddies I absolutely love to game with. We had a blast the first two nights, but it just wears itself thin quick.

I get what your saying but the shooting mechanics alone is what really keeps bringing me back to this game. The developers have already mention that they'll do a sequel to this game. Hope they'll add team mission/campaigns in the next game and also keeping the wave mode as well, more modes the better. Same goes with bosses would like for them to add more than one boss. I'll add more intensity when your in the final wave not knowing which type of boss will come out, maybe I'll be Patriarch which explosives is best suited for or some other boss that isn't weak against explosives but melee attacks or some other specific weapons. So spending your money on the final wave trying to decide which weapons to get would be more intense and strategical.

ohhthegore said:
No, the game itself is just shallow as hell. You'll figure out everything there is to do in the game in an hour, and then an hour after that it's already repetitive and boring.

My experience is the same as Stallion. I enjoyed it for about 30 minutes, then it was that awkward remaining hour with friends where you're all trying to keep liking it, but you're all already thinking about playing something else, but no one will say anything until the level is just done.

had Swords and Soldiers in my hands in store today. 20€ was a bit too much for me to double dip. The game is published by daedalic here in Germany and needs to be activated through steam. But it's not even listed in steam so far :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You know what was a good flavor of the week? Madballs. My group moved on from that long before we had tapped it out. I'm hankering to play it again now.

NIN90 said:
Killing Floor is awesome and much better than the borefest that is the L4D games.

yawn.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
NIN90 said:
Killing Floor is awesome and much better than the borefest that is the L4D games.
If you are going to compare the games, you really can only compare Survival mode in L4D and while Killing Floor does flesh things out much better there... there is a whole game left in L4D on the side.

L4D is much more compelling in the long run due to the campaigns and VS component that lend themselves to much more replayability than any survival mode.

dejan

Left 4 Dead - 27 hours played - last played 9/13/2010
Left 4 Dead 2 - 38 hours played - last played 5/9/2010

Killing Floor - 311 hours played - last played today

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every second I played L4D(2), but Killing Floor got me hooked so much right now that even the Sacrifice DLC couldn't tear me away from it.

stuminus3

How's the single player of Killing Floor? Not that I have a problem in jumping online, I just like to have some time to get familiar with something like that before I join the fray.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
stuminus3 said:
How's the single player of Killing Floor? Not that I have a problem in jumping online, I just like to have some time to get familiar with something like that before I join the fray.
Boring, the game is based around this holding off the waves gameplay and it doesn't matter what game it is, but that gametype never translates to interesting singleplayer. It also kind of helps to have a decent mix of people playing the different classes as the different roles can mean life or death.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
L4D is obviously the fuller game. I had more fun with it initially too.

But there are so many expectations on you when you play it, and I got tired of people being douchebags about it. In Killing Floor everything is more casual and the community is laid back. The stakes aren't as high, so its something you can hop into and play for a while.

dejan

stuminus3 said:
Boring. There are some whitelisted mutators for the single player that make power leveling some perks easier, but that's about it.

Speaking of Tripwire games ... what the fuck is The Ball?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dejan said:
Speaking of Tripwire games ... what the fuck is The Ball?
Ohhh, I'm really excited for The Ball. I decided not to play the mod so as not to ruin the full experience. Looks like a ton of fun.

Hopefully Tripwire picks up some other interesting games to publish on Steam.

Volcynika

Stallion Free said:
Are people still under the illusion that Valve makes these sales?

About 90% of the internet.

And after what we heard about the Amnesia devs, I'd be kinda amazed to see a sale on Amnesia anytime soon. But a temp cut might be worth the increase in sales. Iono.

Killing floor is awesome, bought it back in that huge summer sale.

Tempted to buy a skin pack but I like playing as the default riot police dude in blue :D

IrishNinja

Stallion Free said:
Are people still under the illusion that Valve makes these sales?

ah, excuse my ignorance; i'm new to steam...makes sense the devs would make the call.
very well - devs making those games: i'm interested, lower them for halloween! :D

NIN90 said:
I like Killing Floor but I certainly would not call the L4D games a 'borefest'. I love those too.

Is anyone else having to sign in twice? It seems I need to sign in once when I fire up steam and then I need to sign in again to buy something or look at my friends list. Is this new?

BobsRevenge said:
L4D is obviously the fuller game. I had more fun with it initially too.

But there are so many expectations on you when you play it, and I got tired of people being douchebags about it. In Killing Floor everything is more casual and the community is laid back. The stakes aren't as high, so its something you can hop into and play for a while.
Yeah . . . the versus multiplayer in L4D is too competitive for me.

deleted

speculawyer said:
I like Killing Floor but I certainly would not call the L4D games a 'borefest'. I love those too.

Is anyone else having to sign in twice? It seems I need to sign in once when I fire up steam and then I need to sign in again to buy something or look at my friends list. Is this new?

Have this problem once in a while when Steam hangs itself up and I have to start it manually new. I have to sign into the community a second time after signing in on steam itself.

Just exit steam properly and start it again. Should get rid of the second login.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . the versus multiplayer in L4D is too competitive for me.
People in expert campaign runs are usually cool, but you have to have a good group together to get through one without a lot of trouble.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I used to be able to enjoy playing co-op and competitive games in pubs, but over the last few years it has reached the point where I won't even touch the online component unless my buddies are going to play as well.

Nakazato

hey guys im kinda new to steam i was wondering if there is away to get voice chat to come through the head phone instead of the speakers ??

Valve said:
New Release - Lugaru HD
Product Release - Valve
Lugaru HD is now available on Steam.

Follow Turner, a rebel bunny rabbit with impressive combat skills in his quest to find those responsible for slaughtering his village. Uncover a far-reaching conspiracy involving the corrupt leaders of the rabbit republic and the wolves of the nearby lands.

Wolfire Games' first commercial product and those who obtained the Overgrowth/Natural Selection 2 preorder bundle last year gets this for free on Steam, as long as the Natural Selection 2 alpha key was entered.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
crimsonheadGCN said:
Wolfire Games' first commercial product and those who obtained the Overgrowth/Natural Selection 2 preorder bundle last year gets this for free on Steam, as long as the Natural Selection 2 alpha key was entered.
Holy fuckballs, Lugaru made it to Steam? That's interesting :lol

wmat said:
Holy fuckballs, Lugaru made it to Steam? That's interesting :lol

Yes, probably in preparation for Overgrowth. Wolfire and Valve already has a deal that all pre-purchases of Overgrowth from Wolfire's site will be able to activate a Steam copy of Overgrowth when it's released.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
crimsonheadGCN said:
Yes, probably in preparation for Overgrowth. Wolfire and Valve already has a deal that all pre-purchases of Overgrowth from Wolfire's site will be able to activate a Steam copy of Overgrowth when it's released.
Preachin' to the choir here; I've bought Lugaru in 2005, again in 2010, have been following its successor all along and made some significant contributions to Lugaru's moddability. So I knew about the Steam registration deal, it's been guaranteed pretty much from the start.

MoFuzz

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Don't play games using speakers.
Or at least, if you're going to use speakers, make sure they're decent.

For games, I really only use them for casual or laid back single player titles. Anything that is competitive or requiring voice chat = headphones.

Sysgen

stuminus3 said:

The game scales to the number of players. I put sometime in solo leveling and seeing if I could survive the waves on many of the maps. If you're up for a solo challenge it's fun.

Note: Soloing on easy is boring. Soloing on normal or higher when you have a class sufficiently leveled is fun.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
Let me drop some completely pointless numbers too:

L4D2 - 320 hours
L4D1 - 238 hours

Killing Floor - 13 hours

Fucking chump. Check out these hours.

L4D2 - 663.7
L4D1 - 659.2

Also anyone who has thinks KF > L4D1/2 has clearly never played VS in L4D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
Fucking chump. Check out these hours.

L4D2 - 663.7
L4D1 - 659.2

Also anyone who has thinks KF > L4D1/2 has clearly never played VS in L4D
:lol :lol :lol

Half of that was spent idling to get your Tier 3's.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RiverBed said:
I'm new to steam. Do they have these limited offer discounts weekly or randomly?
Usually weekday sale from Monday/Tuesday to Thursday and a weekend sale from Thursday/Friday to Monday morning.

Publishers put shit on sale for any old reason though. Of recent Modern Warfare 2 had a sale on DLC and now the main game just because a competitors game was coming out. All I know is that we consumers just win win win.

dream

RiverBed said:
I'm new to steam. Do they have these limited offer discounts weekly or randomly?

Twice a week, then a huge sale (huge doesn't even do it justice) at the end of the year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Which awesome game, both of which you should own with the two on going sales, do you like more? And you can only like one... the other one has to be dogshit. >_<

The hardest choice for me right now is, do I want to play the new free content patch for Killing Floor. Or do I want to jump in to my new copy of L4D2 that was purchased for the same price I spent on my lunch yesterday.

I'm probably just gonna end up playing another round of LoL :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom